PDA

View Full Version : Southern Rock

The Dude
05-11-2018, 12:39 PM
No, I'm not from the US, and definitely not from Alabama but I love me some Skynyrd.

I've yet to check out Allman Brothers which was Prime's suggestion. I just haven't got round to it yet and this thread will hopefully remind me.

I've got a few Southern rock suggestions if anyones interested, and I'm always eager to hear more so any and all suggestions welcome.

EDIT: Just checked out Allman Brothers Band. Thanks Prime, I enjoyed it. Not as good as Lynyrd Skynyrd but what band is??!

Checked out Ramblin Man and Jessica (Top Gear lol) in case you were wondering which songs.

meandi
04-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Skynyrd is classic. Of course, I live in the south, so I might be biased. The Dude... I recommend you check out southern metal. Obviously Pantera is the biggest of all time, but take a look at Maylene And The Sons of Disaster. They get those good “southern rock” riffs while mixing it up with metal/hardcore. (The vocalist is the original vocalist of UnderOath... if you know anything about that. He got tired of doing black metal/hardcore vocals and decided to embrace his southern roots.) I highly recommend ‘Tales Of The Runaway’

Prime Time
04-26-2019, 09:03 AM
I don't imagine I can offer as much as some other people in this genre but I know The Outlaw 'Green Grass and High Tides' is a pretty famous song so might be worth checking if you don't know it.

The Dude
04-27-2019, 11:43 AM
I know southern metal quite well.

Down (not System of, just "Down") are amazing, Crowbar (a bit riff heavy if you prefer lead but the riffs are amazing), Acid Bath etc.... Sludge, Stoner and Southern or Blues metal melt into each other quite a lot. These are not the best examples but all I could think of off the top of my head.

For more traditional Southern rock check out Hogjaw, Lord 13 and Whiskey Myers. They don't use anywhere near as much distortion/overdrive and sound a lot more like Skynyrd than the more "metaller" bands. Hogjaw are probably the best I can think of right now. I just bought an album of theres a couple of months ago, and it's very good.

Zakk and Dime are constantly putting Southern rock riffs/licks into their work.

EDIT: Just from the intro I knew I'd like this song, Prime. What can I say, just love the style