PDA

View Full Version : All In

Prime Time
05-12-2018, 04:21 AM
Vince Russo angling to appear at All-In and Cody shutting him down was glorious.

LibSuperstar
05-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Indeed! Hope they do get to 10K.

Mystic
05-12-2018, 09:22 PM
"We don't reward bad behavior."

It is my belief that you can't be a fan of Vince Russo and a fan of pro wrestling. You can disagree, but that is just my take. I was considering going to All In, and, with Cody's response to Russo, I'm more likely to go.

SirSam
05-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Russo had some interesting ideas but they need to be tempered by someone with a more traditional outlook. Unfortunately for Russo he is so toxic that no one with a traditional outlook will ever work with him beyond being on a podcast with him to reminisce.

On the topic of All In, I think it is a fantastic marketing move they have made, really making the audience feel part of a revolution. What are the odds on a CM Punk appearance?

LibSuperstar
05-12-2018, 11:43 PM
You never know. He will be signing autographs at the Pro Wrestling Tees store in Chicago right before All In.

Cult Icon
05-13-2018, 02:54 PM
All In press conference is over. Big news is that Cody will be challenging for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship on the show (Nick Aldis, the former Magnus from TNA, is the current champion) and Rey Mysterio is All In!

LK3185
05-13-2018, 02:57 PM
So the All in press confrence was more of a pep rally than anything. Some frankly idiots expected it to be something more serious and are now less interested in the show lol.

Anyway, notes from that and some actual questions were asked after... so far

the NWA World Title will be defended on the show and Cody will be challenging.

Rey Mysterio is all in.

Cody said there's no current plans to stream the show but never say never

Punk will be signing a day before at PWTees store, but his focus is on MMA right now (took this to mean that Punk may be there but if he gets washed in his next fight, its more likely)

Cult Icon
05-13-2018, 05:31 PM
They did it. All In has sold out in less than an hour.

Prime Time
05-13-2018, 05:37 PM
As I said on Twitter, it's amazing, but what's truly noteworthy is that they've done it with ease. Sounds like they could have aimed a lot higher (though no criticism from me on that because obviously, hindsight is brilliant in these things).

LibSuperstar
05-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Really glad for them! This is good for wrestling. I'm also amazed at how quickly they were able to do it.

LK3185
05-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Hearing about 250 tix on stubhub already. That's actually not that many considering how many resellers their are for WWE events.

I'm legit shocked they sold out though on basically no card.

Cult Icon
05-13-2018, 07:33 PM
The only match announced was Cody vs. the NWA Champion, which as of now is Nick "Magnus" Aldis. TNA was right about Magnus being a star all along!

Benjamin Button
05-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Magnus isn't exactly a Ric Flair, you know

Prime Time
05-14-2018, 05:09 AM
Magnus always pops a gate here. But then if he didn't in his home country, he wouldn't anywhere.

Is it worth pointing out that the last time the WWE ran a show that didn't have TV behind it in Chicago, they didn't do much better than this - from what I hear they basically half-filled the United Center on the Road to Wrestlemania.

Cult Icon
05-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Is it worth pointing out that the last time the WWE ran a show that didn't have TV behind it in Chicago, they didn't do much better than this - from what I hear they basically half-filled the United Center on the Road to Wrestlemania.

Last I heard they aren't even doing it now. Remember, Money in the Bank and the next NXT Takeover are both in Chicago and supposedly neither show has sold out yet. It's not entirely fair obviously because WWE is running every week and this is just one show. Even still, I think it's another example of just how good a job Cody and the Bucks have done making this reality.

Team Farrell
05-14-2018, 11:21 AM
I'm super impressed with those guys, don't get me wrong, but I think Cult is right that a big part of it is that this is one time and WWE runs all the time. They didn't have a card, but we know generally who's going to be around, short of some surprises, but for about a year they've basically been pushing that they're going to have a 10,000 person show.

They started the hype train so long ago and have had so long to get people to want to purchase those tickets, that I' not surprised that they sold out.

Now, yeah there was a time where just announcing that WWE was coming to town would guarantee a sell-out within minutes. They aren't that hot anymore. But a big part of this is the hype of being at this one-time show. It's indy WrestleMania.

If they do it a few more times, let's see if it's the same. I, for one, hope that it is and I hope that these dudes make a killing off the show.

Cult Icon
05-14-2018, 12:04 PM
They aren't trying to make a killing. That's why ticket prices weren't extravagant for this and why I expect (if they choose this route) the show won't cost much on PPV. They wanted to prove there was a market for wrestling and wrestlers outside of WWE. Considering they sold out this show with only one match announced (a match that as of now is Cody vs. Magnus, which isn't a sexy match in the slightest) off the back of nonstop promotion and a talented roster, I say they succeeded. Whether they make any money or not isn't the concern, though I expect the merch sales from this show to be extravagant and great for the talent as it'll all go back to them.

mizfan
05-14-2018, 12:07 PM
I doubt they could sell 10,000 tickets in 30 minutes every week, but the fact that they sold out so fast indicates that if they do rare events with top notch marketing they could potentially fill even bigger venues.

Really pleased for the All In bunch. I think they'd be nuts not to stream it in some form, obviously the demand is there.

LK3185
05-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Think we'll get an IPPV at best, maybe it airs on twitch. The issue is the New Japan talent probably can't be allowed on standard PPV unless given the go ahead. Not sure about Pentagon and Fenix.

But this show has to be made available. Think only reason it wasn't a sure thing is because it wasn't expected to sell out.

Cult Icon
05-14-2018, 07:47 PM
I can't believe we're still wondering about whether there are issues for Pentagon and Fenix! Not only should the Impact appearance have squashed that, but it's been made perfectly clear that Pentagon and Fenix can work wherever, whenever as long as it doesn't conflict with Lucha Underground dates. Season four is already filmed, they will not be filming season five by September and since LU doesn't care, those guys can appear on any sort of platform. Okada may be more iffy, but given Gedo's good relationship with the Elite I'm pretty sure they can work out something that doesn't ruffle any feathers (really, the only objection I could see New Japan having for Okada is him losing, and there's little chance he's losing on this show anyway unless he's legit facing CM Punk, which he won't be).

Here's a question. What matches do you want to see on this show the most, from people already booked and even people not booked yet? Because now that it's sold out, the Bucks and Cody pretty much have clearance to find whoever they want and book as many interesting matches as possible. For example, mizfan and I were discussing earlier how cool it would be for the Elite to seek out a guy like CMLL legend Negro Casas, an all time great who's only US exposure was a few appearances on Super Astros, and put him against Jericho (who I think is a possibility for this show and is a protege of Casas) or Mysterio in a first time ever lucha dream match.

Degenerate
05-15-2018, 01:12 AM
I have to admit that I was somewhat skeptical about the All In crew being able to pull this event off, but they did in amazing fashion. I will gladly proceed to put my foot in my mouth. Super-happy that it's been going as well as they could have ever imagined.

Matt Jackson mentioned that they want the show's run time to be about three hours. Given the amount of people that they've already announced to be part of the show, that probably means they'll have a ton of multi-man matches with a few big showcase singles matches like the NWA Championship match.

SirSam
05-15-2018, 06:42 AM
I think it is super cool that they pulled the NWA Championship back from general obscurity, very nice symbolically for the show.

I say good for them too, they obviously went out there to prove a point and do so emphatically, if anything they could have aimed higher.

mizfan
05-15-2018, 11:21 AM
I kind of hope the NWA title match only goes 15 or so with Cody going over, but then again as I've said before I don't really see a lot in Magnus. I definitely don't think it'll be the main event anyway.

Good for them to keep it to 3 hours, especially if they stream it. Will provide another nice counterpoint to bloated WWE PPVs!

Prime Time
05-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Oh man, Russo's army of twitter minions are still trying to get him booked then tweeting crazy abuse at Cody when he says no.

It's kinda funny the ease with which he does it and how annoyed they get in return.

mizfan
05-16-2018, 06:05 PM
One fan threatening not to come to All In if Russo wasn't there was priceless... they're already sold out! :rolleyes:

Prime Time
05-16-2018, 06:29 PM
I saw that one! It said Russo = money. I mean, even if you buy everything he says about his writing, in what universe has he ever had one single iota of value as a performer?

mizfan
05-16-2018, 07:39 PM
Right, is he gonna... write All In? It's not even a promotion, at most they could do some kind of angle for Being The Elite, but that hardly seems like it needs a guest writer to pop people's interest.

SirSam
05-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Utter insanity, how does this guy have fans?

LK3185
05-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Right, is he gonna... write All In? It's not even a promotion, at most they could do some kind of angle for Being The Elite, but that hardly seems like it needs a guest writer to pop people's interest.

it was more cause Russo was intially booked for the Starrcast meet and greet/convention for All in weekend... Then Cody pulled him cause Cody and the Bucks knew their fan base wouldn't want Russo and Starrcast has someone else getting guests for them (Conrad Thompson)

Oliver
05-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Bucks vs Pentagon Jr and Fenix
Son of Havoc vs Kenny Omega
Okada vs Scurll (I genuinely didn't know what to go with here for Okada, but feel like he should have a singles bout)

mizfan
05-17-2018, 11:29 AM
I like Matt Cross, but surely they'll find someone more high profile for Omega than that?

I saw the Bucks wrestle the Lucha Bros last year in the Crash and it really put me off. I feel like they bring out the worst in each other. I'm happy to be proved wrong on a rematch though.

Still hoping they get Ibushi on board, I'd be down with Golden Lovers vs. Lucha Bros for sure. Not sure where that leaves the Bucks though.

it was more cause Russo was intially booked for the Starrcast meet and greet/convention for All in weekend... Then Cody pulled him cause Cody and the Bucks knew their fan base wouldn't want Russo and Starrcast has someone else getting guests for them (Conrad Thompson)

My post was more about wondering why Russo's fans are trying to argue that Cody needs to bring in Russo to make the product better. Even if Cody did bring him in, I can't imagine what he would contribute (on a number of levels!).

CanadianCrippler
05-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Anyone aware of if the Bullet Club breaking up at this event or if there's a narrative or storyline to this show or is it just a one-off event? That being said, is there a card or is this still getting booked?

Degenerate
05-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Whenever there's a Bullet Club break-up, it'll most likely happen at a New Japan show in Japan.

As far as I know there's no set card yet and it looks like it's all set up as a one-off event. But you have to think that with the massive success in sales, the guys are already setting up for future events. There might be some type of continuity depending on how they book it.

SirSam
05-27-2018, 12:15 AM
In my mind and fantasy booking I thought Cody would be challenging Kenny for the IWGP title (won at Dominion) there.

That isn't going to happen though.

Seems like they haven't organised much in the way of PPV or streaming options and at the moment it is a once off so the story may well just be the event itself being the biggest indy wrestling show. The fact they have the NWA belt being defended suggest to me that is the case, lends it a really historic feeling.

Benjamin Button
05-27-2018, 03:38 AM
This isn't the kind of show that you just put the tip in, that's for sure

mizfan
05-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Don't forget, New Japan is running a G1 Special in the US again, so I expect the Cody/Omega title match will show up there. I do dig how the show is following continuity from both New Japan and ROH though, and even touching on a few other promotions in the meantime. Feels like a cool unifying force, to say the least!

Prime Time
06-06-2018, 07:01 PM
So Punk apparently said, when asked after his trial if he was 'All in', that he's not.

Still, I guess there's nothing stopping you from believing that is a misdirection, if you prefer to think that.

mizfan
06-06-2018, 07:55 PM
It was always a long shot, but if he's supposed to be a surprise that's pretty much exactly what he'd say. Still hopeful, but not hanging the success/failure of the event on it.

SirSam
06-06-2018, 08:11 PM
It would be pretty funny if the lawyer was just a huge fan and thought it was his chance to ask while Punk was under oath.

mizfan
06-12-2018, 07:44 PM
I believe this is fan made but it looks damn cool. Feeling excited about this, looking forward to more matches being announced!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dfg3OPkVMAEj8Yo.jpg

LibSuperstar
06-13-2018, 01:52 PM
I believe this is fan made but it looks damn cool. Feeling excited about this, looking forward to more matches being announced!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dfg3OPkVMAEj8Yo.jpg

Ace poster! Thumbs up to whoever designed it.

mizfan
06-13-2018, 01:57 PM
It also really makes me want to see Okada/Mysterio!

LK3185
06-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Any thoughts on SBG/ROH actually bankrolling ALL in? I've read some people say its not truly independent because of that... still, i think its a great accomplishment to sell out.

mizfan
06-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Is that confirmed? Last I read it was being financed "independently", though I did hear hints that there was a bigger wallet somewhere behind Cody and the Bucks so I'm not ruling it out, I just never heard it for sure. If it is on SBG's dime, then it's definitely questionable as a true "independent", but still very impressive.

Rob S.
06-13-2018, 02:16 PM
ROH is also producing it as well as partially funding it

LK3185
06-13-2018, 02:17 PM
its more implied than anything, not confirmed i would say.. but also, its not unrealistic to think that the Cody and the bucks wouldn't at least get to use ROH's equipment for the show as a way to do it. Cause that kinda of stuff is expensive.

Degenerate
06-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Kota Ibushi was officially announced for All In.

Let the speculation for how he'll be used begin!

LK3185
06-15-2018, 11:52 PM
Golden lovers vs. Lucha bros please

mizfan
06-20-2018, 12:23 PM
I would definitely prefer that to Lucha Bros/Young Bucks, which I saw in the Crash last year and thought was very disappointing. They seem to bring out the worst in each other, at least in my opinion. Fenix and Ibushi in the same ring sounds amazing, and then the aura/charisma of Penta and Omega... damn, that's really something.

LK3185
06-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Even if the lucha bros vs. Bucks was great, I don't what else you would do with Omega and Ibushi with the talent they have announced.

mizfan
06-20-2018, 01:28 PM
The question then is what do the Bucks do?

LK3185
06-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Yeah that's an issue. You have Rey Mysterio on this show.. does he wrestle Okada? its not like they will ever wrestle in New Japan... if not, they could give Rey a partner... or IDK... I just think Omega and Ibushi are having a tag but maybe not. You need a main event.

mizfan
06-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Man, I'd love to see Mysterio/Okada. But there are a lot of great combinations they could do. This show is really rich with possibility.

LK3185
06-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Yeah and I think it would be smart to not do matches you can readily see in New Japan and/or ROH... I have a feeling we'll get more talent..

mizfan
06-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Is there a list of everyone confirmed for All In anywhere? I haven't been able to find one but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

LK3185
06-20-2018, 01:58 PM
I can't find a list either, oh i found a list but its about a month old, not updated with Mysterio, Ibushi or MJF

Cody Rhodes
Matt Jackson
Nick Jackson
Marty Scurll
Hangman Page
Stephen Amell
Kenny Omega
Tessa Blanchard
Rey Fenix
Pentagon Jr.
Deonna Purrazzo
Kazuchika Okada
Chelsea Green
Joey Janela
Penelope Ford
Britt Baker
Jay Lethal
Pharaoh the Dog

mizfan
06-20-2018, 02:02 PM
MJF is All In?? That's awesome! One of my favorite recent discoveries, I think he's got it in him to be a big star. Great that he gets this chance to show off his stuff.

With Scurll and Page there, I could maybe see some kind of Bullet Club angle for the Bucks. Not sure it's big enough on paper but executed well it could stir up some interest.

Really curious what Janela does too, he's been on a real tear stirring up buzz for himself and in front of a crowd like this he could really do something bonkers.

LK3185
06-20-2018, 02:10 PM
i forget who MJF partner was but it was last chance for Flip to get on the show (i assume Flip will be booked too)

I was thinking Amell would do something crazy with Janela

one guy i'm waiting to get booked for All in is PCO

mizfan
06-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Would love that!! PCO is arguably kind of a fad/novelty but he's also legitimately doing a bunch of cool stuff and has buzz, they'd be nuts not to include him if they can.

LK3185
06-20-2018, 06:27 PM
All in twitter account announced that All IN will be broadcasted in some form. As expected. I'm guessing ROH will help out.

mizfan
06-21-2018, 11:15 AM
It was expected, but I'm really glad it was confirmed. They've done such a great job marketing this, I think they'll get a very solid number of buys/views. I know I'll definitely be watching, though it'll probably be a replay or VOD.

SirSam
06-29-2018, 12:48 AM
I wonder what the return on investment will be for the guys that put together this show? Was it a money making exercise or was it simply done to prove a point and not lose any money?

LK3185
07-05-2018, 12:07 PM
So cal Uncensored, (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky ) are now all in.

mizfan
07-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Good news to me! They're a very fun group.

LK3185
07-05-2018, 01:20 PM
First match is also being announced.. i'm wondering if they call it a main event or just intro matches and they'll be placed day of the show. Cody did say we won't see a full card listed, just matches announced every week.

LK3185
07-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Marty Scurll vs. Kazuchika Okada is the first announced match of All In.

Mystic
07-05-2018, 06:15 PM
I wonder what the return on investment will be for the guys that put together this show? Was it a money making exercise or was it simply done to prove a point and not lose any money?

Great question. The prices (before folks bought them up and sold them on Stubhub) seemed very reasonable. Part of me wonders if the decision was first governed by just sell the place out. I hope they earned a profit though. They deserve it.

mizfan
07-05-2018, 07:22 PM
I was really hoping for Okada vs. Rey but this Okada vs. Scurll should be interesting in it's own right.

LK3185
07-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Great question. The prices (before folks bought them up and sold them on Stubhub) seemed very reasonable. Part of me wonders if the decision was first governed by just sell the place out. I hope they earned a profit though. They deserve it.

They talked about this on this first All in video that they will probably break even at best.

SirSam
07-08-2018, 07:13 PM
A match with Okada is certainly something special for Marty. Gotta say I'm happy for the guy, he has carved out a unique little position in Indy fans hearts over the last few years with his blend of comedy and deviousness.

Benjamin Button
07-08-2018, 07:26 PM
I'm gonna see Okada live...by Davie Meltzer measurements, this should be like a Snes Super Mario trip to Star World!

mizfan
07-09-2018, 03:56 PM
So the latest All In news is that Nick Aldis has to defend both the NWA title and his spot at All In against Flip Gordon, who has of course been trying to get booked on the show pretty much since it was announced. I'm not a huge Flip fan but I do think they've done a good job building this story, and I'm honestly not sure which way it'll go now. They've done some good legwork with Aldis, but they've done a lot with Flip too, and he's much more tied in to the Being the Elite stuff.

LK3185
07-09-2018, 07:30 PM
I can't see the NWA wanting to put the title on Flip after all the work they've done with Aldis.

mizfan
07-09-2018, 08:47 PM
But in fairness, I didn't hear a peep about Aldis until the Cody stuff. I didn't even know he was NWA champion. If they have a chance to further tie the title in to the hot Being the Elite stuff, I can see them maybe taking that shot.

Mystic
07-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Anything can happen, but, if I were booking, it'd stay with NA. I'm not even a fan, but they've been building it and they don't need shock value, as the tickets were sold. Besides, on the very episode that announced Flip, NA said he, as the dealer, still has more cards to deal with Cody.

Only thing I'm not sure about, does Cody still have to win Roh title for this to happen or are we off that?

XanMan
07-10-2018, 08:14 AM
He never had to; Aldis said he would put his title on the line against Cody as long as Cody agreed he would also put up the ROH Title if he won it. The fact Cody didn't win the title doesn't change that Aldis is putting his up. My initial feeling is that Flip is too green to be NWA Champion, but then I realize I haven't seen the NWA since it broke from TNA other than a few Adam Pearce matches, so I have no idea if he is or not.

mizfan
07-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Ah, that's an interesting caveat. I was actually looking forward to title vs. title, but it does seem less likely to happen now.

I think I would also stay with Aldis. It feels like the better story, though it does seem like they have to do SOMETHING with Flip after all this talk.

LK3185
07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
I think they will but it will be like a last minute thing... I'm not really intrested in Cody's matches here but i'm more interested in seeing Cody try to win the NWA Title from Aldis rather than Flip.

i think Cody is taking time off to film something so i don't think him winning the ROH title would have been feasible.

CanadianCrippler
07-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Does Billy Corgan's NWA have any distribution / TV deals or an hourly program? I want to follow Cody's career as NWA Champion but I'm thinking that NWA is riding ROH's coattails right now.

Oliver
07-25-2018, 08:35 AM
I don't know, but right now even with the mutual respect side of things I can see Flip costing Cody the NWA title at All In, or maybe attacking him post-match or something. I think what they've done so far with Flip is really interesting for Flip as a wrestler, but the storyline to me is now unfinished.

Degenerate
08-06-2018, 10:13 PM
There's some more matches and news announced officially for All In:

- Stephen Amell apparently will be taking on Christopher Daniels in a match, which should be fun.
- There's going to be a Battle Royal (amusingly called "The Over Budget Battle Royale") with 15 participants. So far the only people that seem to be confirmed are Colt Cabana, Ethan Page, Rocky Romero, Moose and Jordynne Grace. Not sure if they'll announce the rest or will keep some surprises.
- The show will be broadcast! The first hour will be for free on WGN, and the rest of the show will be on PPV and some streaming services Fite and Honor Club.

These guys are killing it with the build-up to the show. I hope it does amazingly well.

Mystic
08-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Fuckin' Kenny Omega vs. Pentagon Jr. added. Between this match and the son of Dusty Rhodes challenging for the NWA title, I woulda paid for my seats just for these two matches.

I've been to Fall Brawl, Nitro, Over the Limit, and two TNA shows. I'm more excited for this event than any of those.

Cero Miedo, Kenny Omega.

LWO4Life
08-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Omega and Pentagon just sold me on this card. I was always cheering for this card to succeed, and really hoping that it pulls off over 10,000 people. Last year I was hoping NJPW would try for a bigger arena when they went to Long Beach too. But in terms of actually getting a match I want to see, they now got Pentagon on the card. I'm sold. I still kind of wished they had a unification match of the ROH and NWA title. I really could see a situation where ROH, being old school in may ways, is the main territory of a revived NWA. But with that said, I'm excited for the card, and adding Pentagon has me ready to watch this thing.

mizfan
08-13-2018, 02:18 PM
There's a tremendous amount that could go right with a Pentagon/Omega match. I really hope they go all out, could be something really special. Was already planning on it but more than ever, definitely gonna be buying this to watch!

Mystic
08-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Omega and Pentagon just sold me on this card. I was always cheering for this card to succeed, and really hoping that it pulls off over 10,000 people. Last year I was hoping NJPW would try for a bigger arena when they went to Long Beach too. But in terms of actually getting a match I want to see, they now got Pentagon on the card. I'm sold. I still kind of wished they had a unification match of the ROH and NWA title. I really could see a situation where ROH, being old school in may ways, is the main territory of a revived NWA. But with that said, I'm excited for the card, and adding Pentagon has me ready to watch this thing.

I critiqued this on one of the episodes of TLS. One of my only complaints storywise. Don't introduce one guy as the deal, have him require a title vs. title match, only to have to walk it back.

I love the idea of ROH as a territory. Would be lovely. I'm also deeply hoping we get the NWA title defended at a sold out Madison Square Garden.

LWO4Life
08-13-2018, 04:16 PM
I critiqued this on one of the episodes of TLS. One of my only complaints storywise. Don't introduce one guy as the deal, have him require a title vs. title match, only to have to walk it back.

I love the idea of ROH as a territory. Would be lovely. I'm also deeply hoping we get the NWA title defended at a sold out Madison Square Garden.

Walking back that match, I'll admit, disappointed me a lot. I was excited for a ROH/NWA title match. I mean on the spectrum of wrestling fans, I'm pretty hardcore, but not as hardcore, so casually seeing a ROH/NWA title match had my interest. Once that got walked back, it wasn't until I saw Pentagon/Omega that I'm like, okay, this became must see again. I do hope Cody wins the NWA title though. It would be a great way to end this card and pay off his hard work!.

And let's keep it real, ROH is sort of like the big league of the Indy's. The Indy's as territories and ROH as the place you go to get that national audience would be great.

mizfan
08-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Ibushi and Mysterio in the same ring is also pretty exciting for me, not to mention Fenix being in that same mix. :)

Mystic
08-13-2018, 08:43 PM
LWO - Agree with every word. I'm geeking out way too much, but I'd love to see some cool crossover videos with 10 lbs. of Gold and Being the Elite, if and when Cody becomes NWA champ.

mizfan - Rey and Marty Scurll have a funny/cool segment to kick of BTE #115. Everyone is telling Marty he is too small to win at All In. He goes to Rey for advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKsU_JMJMYM

mizfan
08-13-2018, 08:57 PM
That is awesome. I used to love Scurll and have come down on him a little, but that's a great way to frame the match. If I remember a lot of people were hoping for Rey vs. Okada (including me) so could be another layer there, plus I think Scurll tried to steal Rey's mask earlier this year.

Mystic
08-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Printing my tickets today. I know it's cliche, but if Cody doesn't leave NWA champion, I goddamn riot. Really think that not only would he be good for the NWA but the NWA would be good for him. The 10 Lbs. of Gold videos have been more compelling to me than BTE and All In hype. I think Cody and NWA give each other well-needed balance that neither get otherwise.

mizfan
08-24-2018, 01:22 PM
I feel like it makes a lot of sense for both. The only thing that might stop it is if Cody has too many obligations, but I hope that wouldn't be the case. The NWA title is the kind of title you can carry with you to almost any promotion in the world with pride and defend it on the card. I respect if Corgan and Lagana want to try to grow a champion of their own, but that guy is NOT Aldis, and what better way to do it than by building up someone worthy to beat Cody?

Mystic
08-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Indeed. And if the structure of NWA is something I like for Cody, what I *hope* Cody could bring the NWA is an understanding that, in 2018, a great way to grow the NWA is by not restricting the NWA champion to the NWA. While it's impossible to know how feasible such a thing is, it does make me happy that when I click on an NWA posted video about Aldis vs. Rhodes, right under the video are the following hashtags:

#AllIn #BeingTheElite #TenPoundsOfGold

XanMan
09-02-2018, 01:00 AM
Dudes, how can nobody have posted about this show tonight? Granted, I was there, so I may be biased, but it was the greatest pro wrestling show I have ever seen and quite likely the greatest of all time. This show is what pro wrestling can and should be. Please tell me you saw it!

Cult Icon
09-02-2018, 01:15 AM
I did Xan! I don't know if it's the greatest event of all time but I'd put it on the shortlist with When Worlds Collide and Bash at the Beach 1996 as the greatest non WWE PPV I've ever seen. It was a bit of PWG, a bit of New Japan, a bit of lucha, a bit of comedy, a bit of old school NWA/WCW and more rolled all into one big ball of entertainment. I loved every minute of it and the only flaw I found was that Okada-Scurll ran a bit longer than expected and thus they had to cram to fit everything in before the PPV went off (they still got the show in before it did). Beyond that, a monumental night in professional wrestling and one I'll never forget.

Mystic
09-02-2018, 01:32 AM
It was as good as said. It was a wrestling buffet. Cody winning was old school and NWA worthy. Pentagon is a once in a lifetime talent and one of the best live performers I've seen in 30 years. NJPW represented strong. The six-man sent folks home happy.

If these promotions can remain independent and together than we are the closest we've been in twenty years to the wrestling we deserve.

XanMan
09-02-2018, 02:07 AM
Amen, Mystic!

comfortablynumb
09-02-2018, 02:08 AM
I bought the PPV late and nee to rewatch the first 90 minutes but, man, what I saw was great. Like everyone said above, it was a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and it worked great. I knew Pentagon-Omega was on the card but I kinda forgot about it while watching the first couple matches, then when they said that was next I got so giddy. The Jericho run in was great and a perfect way for him to appear and keep others happy if he were ever inclined to go back to a certain place.

SirSam
09-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Yeah, it was quite a fun show, I wouldn't say it was perfect but it was certainly a very memorable and fun experience, certainly one of my favourtie shows of the year so far. Being there would have been a completely different experience to seeing it on TV though Xan so I completely understand where you are coming from saying it was your fav of all time. Like with a concert there is a certain magic atmosphere you can get swept up in if you see something live that doesn't quite come across on TV, my fav match of all time is something I saw at my local indy fed for that very reason - it isn't perfect but in the moment becasue the entire crowd got so swept up in the story, it was the most emotional, craziest and happiest wrestling memory I have.

I'm really looking forward to your podcast on it Xan.

Scurll v Okada was match of the night for me, they killed it story telling and character wise, if they needed an extra 5-10min for the main event there was fat on the undercard that really could have been cut down: some of the theatrics in the first match or the DDP run in bit in the Cody match immediately spring to mind. I didn't mind that the main event did get cut short a little, it was always going to be a match on fast forward and that just made it even more extreme.

I also really loved Omega v Pentagon and even though it was far from the perfect match I freakin' wept tears when Cody won that title.

I have to hand it to the All In guys, they know their market, they know what they are good at and they absolutely nailed it tonight.

LK3185
09-02-2018, 01:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFIC-atR5LY

One of my favorite Entrances ever.

I loved the show live from start to finish. Bought the PPV to support these guys... and I do that because I find them really likable, especially Cody yet Cody and the Bucks aren't even my fave wrestlers.. Very happy the show kicked ass.

comfortablynumb
09-02-2018, 02:41 PM
I happily paid too. Definitely something worth supporting and they backed it up.

That is an awesome entrance too.

Mystic
09-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Thanks for sharing that, LK. I feel fortunate to have been at the show but, evidence of how good it was, I am sitting on ready to get home and watched it slow and detailed.

XanMan
09-02-2018, 04:37 PM
I am definitely going to watch it, but not until next weekend, most likely. I'm going to go in fresh tomorrow without having "tainted" it with commentary or a second viewing of any kind. And you're right Sam, the feeling and atmosphere really added something. I was at WrestleMania 25 & the feeling I had during Michaels vs Taker was being swept up upon a wave of emotion. I felt that in every single match of ALL IN, sans the main card opener. I didn't catch my breath until two hours after the show ended. My life before ALL IN was not my life now

Mystic
09-03-2018, 10:37 AM
I am so happy for you, Xan. We all deserve these moments from time-to-time.

I hope to see a continuation of the paradox between independence and congregating between these various companies and stables. All In was built on, among other things, a VERY STRONG NJPW, a very stable ROH, a very promising NWA. All those need to continue. I want more 10 lbs of Gold videos and I hope for a successful 70-year anniversary special for NWA in October. Yesterday my brother and I watched Ric Flair visit Memphis as worlds heavyweight champion. Jerry Lawler wanted a shot, wanted his moment with the champ. I would love to see Cody (and future NWA champs) in situations like this. They show up and the moment is promoted as a combination of existing organization *and* NWA champion.

It's a wonderfully wonderful moment we are in. The "loose ties" approach to Indy wrestling has connected something large and worthwhile.

Where it goes next? Who knows, but I'm still waking up in the goodness that was the first All In.

Team Farrell
09-04-2018, 01:00 AM
I really really didn't much enjoy All In. I finally bought it after being on the road all weekend and avoiding spoilers, and man... I didn't enjoy it.

Cody vs Aldis was good and an emotional moment. The last three matches were good. Adam Page vs Janella my feed was stuttery on so I'll try it again.

But everything else was pretty meh. A lot of it felt very "inside, ironic indy wrestling". Black Machismo switching back and forth, the really green dude in the opener, it wasn't my cup of tea. The women seemed not to be on the same page several times and Baker felt a little out of her depth and "nepotism-y".

Marty stood out to me as someone that benefitted a lot from it though.

I think I was expecting a serious, top to bottom pro wrestling card presented like serious pro wrestling. What I got was indy "fun times" wrestling WrestleMania.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm happy for them.

SirSam
09-04-2018, 08:51 AM
I think I saw somewhere that the non-event of an opener was there in case the PPV feed didn't go up right at first. Basically they would have a chance to fix it and people watching wouldn't be too pissed off that they missed a highly anticipated match.

Pretty smart if true, I certainly wondered why they chose to give the least anticipated match so much time and a fairly important spot at first.

Oliver
09-04-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm kind of with Coach here - I really enjoyed the show, but in terms of it actually being 'good' I'm not sure there was much beyond Rhodes/Aldis, the six man, and Pentagon/Omega. Page/Janella isn't really a type of match I like, so I wasn't really into it, but it was probably good if you do like that.

I don't think anything on the card was objectively bad in any way, it just didn't blow me away completely.

But, of course, that wasn't really the point of the show, and selling out that arena for this show is more important than anything that actually happened on the night.

XanMan
09-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Not that I should, but I feel bad that you, Coach, and you, Olly, didn't get the same kind of joy I got from it. While I agree about the opening match, I loved everything else and I am looking forward so much to getting more.

Mystic
09-04-2018, 01:54 PM
There will definitely be diversity of opinion on the show, as there should be about all shows. As mentioned, they definitely tried a buffet approach. My greatest interest were the 10 lbs of Gold videos, as I am more of an old school fan, but I saw enough of the BTE videos to know there would be a variety of approaches (the Hangman feud, for example, featured talking boots).

Still, maybe I am way depleted as a wrestling fan, but a show with 4 matches to enjoy is pretty good for me.

I think the context of the event demanded that most of what happened be one offs, and I actually enjoyed the lack of surprises and big moments. I just wanted to see some people compete (Pentagon/Omega), some stories play out (Marty/Okada), and, of course, I needed to see a Rhodes leave NWA champion to justify my trip to Chicago. So I was easy to please, but it was partly because I had a fair idea of how the show might play out going in.

Haven't enjoyed it *as* much on TV. Woulda went with different announcers. I do think the BIG SPIKE in appreciation is often with folks who have been straight starving for decades. You get this hungry and we get excited when someone throws us a bone.

LK3185
09-04-2018, 02:43 PM
The fact is All In was produced by 3 men, the Bucks and Cody who all have different ideals for what wrestling is. It also plays off Being the Elite heavily so i wasn't expecting some dream match type card. I thought almost every match worked for what it set out to be, even if some dragged.. Wouldn't have had the opener what it was... put them in the battle royal.... The guest announcers were hit or miss (Excaliber and Ian Riccaboni were fantastic though.)

Worth a read https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/4/17816326/all-in-cody-rhodes-young-bucks-nwa-wrestling

Team Farrell
09-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Not that I should, but I feel bad that you, Coach, and you, Olly, didn't get the same kind of joy I got from it. While I agree about the opening match, I loved everything else and I am looking forward so much to getting more.
I didn't think that the opening match was bad by any means, I just thought that the one kid was way too green to be in that position. It was he same with Baker. It just felt like one of those situations where you're booking a card and you book guys you know and believe in and then one of the guys who you're really tight with asks "do you have a spot for ____?"

For me, I don't necessarily have time to to follow everyone's online angles and YouTube shows, but those 10-lbs of Gold videos made me want to watch All In more than anything else. So, I was expecting a serious pro wrestling card.

I fully understand I was expecting something that they were never going to produce, and I should have assumed that "fun times, ironic pro wrestling" would have been involved with The Bucks producing and Kenny involved (and that's not anything negative about them, they just have differing preferences on wrestling than I do).

I tuned in for Cody vs Aldis. They sold me on the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in 2018. So having that match and emotional moment placed firmly in the midcard threw me off watching, and probably made me far less interested in everything that followed.

I assume that it was put there either because they knew that those guys wouldn't do what the matches that followed did athletically, they wanted to ensure that they'd have time to have that full match and celebration without worrying about time, or both.

Then my main event was over, and I was left wondering why Black Machismo from a decade ago was switching back and forth between gimmicks (and why Brandi was out there again for what essentially amounted to a Liz sight gag).

I re-watched the street fight and enjoyed it a lot. I even found myself saying "don't you dare" when Page got him up for the Right of Passage on top of the ladder.

I'm glad that they filled an arena, and I hope that they can do it again. I'm not sure I'll buy next time, but I hope they continue to do well.

Can anyone explain to me those backstage segments that were filmed in a hallway with disembodied voices and random hands?

LK3185
09-04-2018, 03:44 PM
The ones with Scurll? The angle for Scurll's match with Okada was that he was a cruiserweight and couldn't possibly beat Okada. Thought it worked well.

Brandi was out there with Flip cause she's his friend and part why in story Cody didn't want Flip on the show.

Also, just so you know, Cody said he liked MJF and wanted to give him a chance. Not sure about Baker but they had planned for Deoanna Purrazzo to be on the show before she signed with WWE.

As for the NWA title in middle.... I have to imagine that was Cody's smart call knowing someone would have ran long and hurt his match (apparently Marty/Okada went 12 mins over)

I def see All In 2 happening if Cody and The Bucks stay. Hopefully the kinks are worked out. Loved the show like i said but there's things that could have been better. Probably relying too heavily on BTE was a bad call.

Team Farrell
09-04-2018, 03:55 PM
The ones with Scurll? The angle for Scurll's match with Okada was that he was a cruiserweight and couldn't possibly beat Okada. Thought it worked well.
They did the same thing with Jay Lethal. When I saw that one, I was a little confused, then I saw it with Scurll. I just sort of assumed that shooting that way was some sort of running gag from BTE.

Brandi was out there with Flip cause she's his friend and part why in story Cody didn't want Flip on the show.
That was what Don Callis had said. They teamed on the pre-show, too, right? I just found it odd that she has this big emotional moment with her husband...then a wardrobe change to go valet her buddy. Brandi was the MVP of that show.

As for the NWA title in middle.... I have to imagine that was Cody's smart call knowing someone would have ran long and hurt his match (apparently Marty/Okada went 12 mins over)
That's what I figured. The car wreck with The Bucks can go seven minutes if some things run really long, or 30 if things are running too quick and you still get all of their spots and the superkick party and enough out of the other three to keep the crowd happy. I'm actually glad Marty and Okada went long, they were my MOTN -- seeing Marty have to fight seriously from underneath and drop some of the winking pseudo comedy bullshit was refreshing, and that main went about the right amount of time.

Cult Icon
09-04-2018, 04:02 PM
I didn't think that the opening match was bad by any means, I just thought that the one kid was way too green to be in that position. It was he same with Baker. It just felt like one of those situations where you're booking a card and you book guys you know and believe in and then one of the guys who you're really tight with asks "do you have a spot for ____?"

You could maybe argue that was the case with Britt Baker because she's Adam Cole's girlfriend (although I thought Baker was really good in that match) but MJF being on there was legit. He's still getting the hang of the in ring work but at 22 years old and only three years in he's already established himself as a guy to watch, enough so that WWE almost got in hot water by talking with MLW contracted wrestlers because they wanted him. He's an outstanding heel, an outstanding character, has a lot of buzz and will be a great worker; he belonged on this show in exactly the spot he was at with Son of Havoc. If anything one of the mistakes the Bucks and Cody made wasn't giving him a chance to cut a promo, which I think would've helped give him and the match heat.

Also, Cody putting his title victory in the midcard was 100% the right call. Even though the result was 100% the call of Billy Corgan and Dave Lagana (who are pretty much running the NWA these days) and Cody winning was the only acceptable finish, there are plenty of people out there who think Cody was going full Hulk Hogan and booked himself to win the NWA Title on his own show as a power play. Not just fans either; some bloggers and journalists who should know better. Imagine those same people if this match had main evented with the same result. Obviously putting it in the midcard hasn't stopped those people but I do think it softened the blow a bit and it also allowed the spotlight to go to the other matches later on. And while Cody-Aldis did get built up incredibly well for this show, there's little chance that fans saw Cody and former TNA star Magnus (who's never been considered a great worker to begin with) being a bigger match then Kenny vs. Pentagon, Okada vs. Marty or that mouth watering six man. For all we know the crowd is cooked if they put that match after all those, or as Lazyking said they would've had no time. They made the right call putting it where it was.

LK3185
09-04-2018, 04:06 PM
You're on that its running gag (the hands thing) tbh, I watch Being the Elite but I've skipped over the Lethal parts thinking they weren't important. lol

I don't remember Brandi out there when Flip was in the Battle Royal cause he wasn't in it, really until the end when he unmasked. They did team though for a chance to get Flip on the show awhile back though.

Preferred Penta/Omega myself at MOTN after rewatch. Felt Okada/Scurll dragged a bit in the middle. Like they were going for a trad NJPW main event.

Finally, agree on the Bucks match... The plan was for them to go 28 mins apparently and just thinking about that makes me glad they didn't. Crowd was there for them but you don't want to run the risk of losing them.... in a normal show, i would have put that match first to give the show a hot, fast paced opener.

Benjamin Button
09-05-2018, 02:16 AM
Gonna say something a bit different but I dug the MJF vs. Matt Cross match. The way MJF worked the arm added to the variety of the show. It's very old school and cool to see. I think it certainly separates him from others who people would compare him with. He's a mixture of quite a few gimmicks just like most wrestlers are. They take from a lot of people.

Also, having a veteran who's been around but never had that platform vs. a young man who's trying to make a name for himself has a good instant story of two men with something to prove. They picked two guys who made sense. The match was fine with a good working one part of the body and good selling match. It reminded me of a WCW TV title match. Having had previous exposure to both the guys, I thought it was a pleasant surprise and the live crowd did cheer for it.

I will say in the live experience MJF did move about the mat in a obvious way to put himself in position for Matt Cross' finish, and that took some wind out of it for me. But on TV it looked fine.

I thought the Bucks match was fast and furious and maybe better for being shortened. Only problem was the show on TV ended so abruptly. But there was a great promo to end the live show. if ever they do a type of "dvd" for it, I'm sure they'll add the promo in.

There were mistakes. One I'm surprised nobody has commented on was I believe the camera shows Cody's face on the outside of the ring without a trace of blood after receiving the forearm, but he comes in with a bloody forehead. But, man, the blood worked so goddamn good in selling the match and making Cody sympathetic. When was the last time the crowd sympathized for a baby-face and hated a heel so much? Great, great NWA title match.

Also, another cool thing was seeing Tully Blanchard and one of his greatest rivals Magnum T.A greet Tessa Blanchard. Here's two guys whose histories could easily be lost in the shuffle of the WWE universe. That's not a knock against WWE but more so another reason it's important to have an alternative. It brings back nostalgia for other wrestling feels that we may not get when watching WWE.

I think the best part is they believe in themselves in a way to convince their audience. When I see Kenny Omega and Okada, I believe the announcers think they're the greatest current wrestlers in the world. I think that's a a confidence that TNA, for example, has failed to convey for their talent. It gives the audience some reassurance that they may be watching the best wrestling out there.

In the end even with it's imperfections, it was historical. It's one of those events they will no doubt improve on, but what it meant in the time it was happening, it's charm, it's significance will be hard to duplicate. It's something that can only happen, in some ways, one time.

Team Farrell
09-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Gonna say something a bit controversial but I dug the MJF vs. Matt Cross match. The way MJF worked the arm added to the variety of the show. It's very old school and cool to see. I think it certainly separates him from others who people would compare him with. He's a mixture of quite a few gimmicks just like most wrestlers are. They take from a lot of people.

Also, having a veteran who's been around but never had that platform vs. a young man who's trying to make a name for himself has a good instant story of two men with something to prove. They picked two guys who made sense. The match was fine with a good working one part of the body and good selling match. It reminded me of a WCW TV title match. Having had previous exposure to both the guys, I thought it was a pleasant surprise and the live crowd did cheer for it.
I didn't dislike the match by any means. Please don't anyone think that I did. They put on an excellent opener with strong psychology.

I think the guy has a ton of potential. He's athletic, and understands old school body part psychology really well. He's just really young and green. For the first time watching him, I didn't buy that he buys his gimmick -- he seems like a lot of guys that I know playing a character that he thinks makes a great wrestling gimmick, so why not use it? Like a guy who's not an actor, trying to act.

There were mistakes. One I'm surprised nobody has commented on was I believe the camera shows Cody's face on the outside of the ring without a trace of blood after receiving the forearm, but he comes in with a bloody forehead. But, man, the blood worked so goddamn good in selling the match and making Cody sympathetic. When was the last time the crowd sympathized for a baby-face and hated a heel so much? Great, great NWA title match.
Yeah, I caught that, too. He was on the floor with his head under that skirt for a long time. I wonder if the blood hadn't started flowing yet, or his first attempt didn't work so he had to go back and try again. The superkick was also a good three inches off.

I'll give Cody a pass. I've seen bigger fuck ups and it was such an emotional moment that the lack of blood or a whiffed superkick aren't going to be remembered in the long run.

I think the best part is they believe in themselves in a way to convince their audience. When I see Kenny Omega and Okada, I believe the announcers think they're the greatest current wrestlers in the world. I think that's a a confidence that TNA, for example, has failed to convey for their talent. It gives the audience some reassurance that they may be watching the best wrestling out there.
I think that this is an excellent observation. They manage to portray Omega, Okada and other guys as truly being the best, without coming off like Michael Cole trying to tell us how great someone is.

Callis loses a little bit of credibility for me when he's fanboying over Kenny, but then it's backed up by the other commentator and evens out in the end. It's even little things that you'd never see in a WWE or TNA broadcast -- Callis mentioning that Scrull had been training with Aldis to add size ahead of his match with Okada and then calling back to it when Scrull is able to sandbag Okada on a reversal.

I've been watching a lot of WCW Saturday Night on The Network lately because it's unreal for mining spots (motherfucking Flyin' Brian in 1992 whipping out springboards) and one thing that stands out is JR on commentary. He puts over how good the talent are, and gives us some backstory with their amateur/college credentials which goes a long way toward making some of these flamboyant characters seem legitimate. But then you get little things like talking about Steve Austin having a 16-lb weight advantage over The Z-Man and how that plays in to Austin using a rear chinlock.

It wasn't "He's got a chinlock, how will he get out of it? We'll be right back!" It was "He's got this chinlock in tight and a lot of weight on the back of The Z-Man, using that weight to his advantage and making it difficult to get back to his feet while he wears Z-Man down."

It's stuff I miss in WWE but really enjoy in NJPW with Callis and Kelly.

LK3185
09-05-2018, 12:41 PM
All in Zero Hour did about 200K on WGN America. I think that's a really good number for them, considering that its a fairly big network but alot of peoople don't have it like myself.

Impact Wrestling got 225K this past thursday.

Wondering what the numbers look like for Fite and Trad PPV.... is 25K Buys too much too hope for? Don't really care about the Honor club numbers cause that only really helps ROH and it was priced differently... with having to pay $120 for VIP or existing standard members getting the show half off

I'm only really curious about the PPV numbers cause i want it on Trad PPV again. Its easier for me.

comfortablynumb
09-05-2018, 01:04 PM
I would say that’s a great number, especially with it being a one-time thing.

XanMan
09-05-2018, 02:38 PM
It's stuff I miss in WWE but really enjoy in NJPW with Callis and Kelly.

These guys are really good together, but I *loved* the way Rocky Romero and Kelly played off each other during the G1 Climax. Best commentary team I have heard in a long time.

LK3185
09-05-2018, 05:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQdnl4n6CY

Degenerate
09-06-2018, 01:38 AM
That episode of BTE was pretty good, although it's pretty lengthy at 47 minutes. It's a really good look at the lead-up to the show from their perspective. I'm also glad they decided to add that last skit at the end because it was vintage BTE and it had me laughing.

I finally was able to watch most of the matches of All In scattered throughout the week. I also thought that Scurll vs. Okada was the match of the night for me. I thought it would consist of nothing more than Okada just toying and squashing him but Scurll really showed how good he is overall. He's been pretty much shoved into a seemingly comedic role lately, and this makes me want to see more of the more serious "Villain" side of him again. I'm glad they decided to give him this match instead of booking him in a singing segment, which apparently was going to be his role for the night.

I also dug the Hangman vs. Janela match. I'd never seen any of Janela's matches before so I was really curious after hearing all the buzz surrounding him. His style of wrestling isn't my cup of tea but he does it really well so that counts for something. Penelope Ford was outstanding in her role too. They're a really nice pairing, so I'm curious to see where his career goes as he continues to get more talk about him.

From top to bottom it was a really well-put show. Cody and the Young Bucks knew their target market and nailed it. Sure, there were mistakes but considering the scope of this show and that the people running it aren't full time producers / bookers / promoters, it all went smoother than I expected. My guess is that they'll run another similar scale show, and they'll have learned from their mistakes.

Oliver
09-06-2018, 11:53 AM
What I will say of MJF is that I liked that he just decided he would be THE MOST HEEL THAT EVER DID HEEL and ran with it. Like, everything about him was heeling it up. I don't know if that's just how he wrestles week in, week out, but I dug it.

And as I said, I enjoyed the show. I might well have loved it if I really wanted to. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats.

mizfan
09-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Still watching through the show, got a few matches left.

I loved the battle royal on the pre-show, I thought it was beautifully put together and pretty much everything clicked just right. I'm not even a fan of Flip but the ending was still great because it was in line with the story they were telling.

I liked Cross/MJF and honestly thought MJF brought more to the table as a character and driving the story of the match. Cross by himself always comes off a bit generic to me but he did his thing well enough.

Skipped over Daniels/Amell for now but gonna go back for it, interested to see how they do.

The women did an overall good job, though given the quality of women's wrestlers out there I don't think I would have picked those four. Britt didn't stand out as good or bad to me but I thought Madison Rayne was out of place, she hasn't impressed me much in recent years. Tessa was obviously the standout.

The finish of Cody/Aldis was the moment of the night, absolutely. The match had a couple things I didn't love, but also had some great stuff and was overall very strong.

Janela/Page was a blast, I don't follow BTE at all but they set up the stuff with the boots and the phone well in the video package, so props to them on that. The action itself was lots of fun and affirms my enjoyment of both guys, particularly Janela as the spiritual successor to guys like Sabu. I could have personally done without the post match stuff but I know some people love that stuff, so more power to them.

Lethal/Flip was decent but probably my least favorite of the night so far. Lethal is very good at the Savage impression and some of the shtick was very funny, but I've been enjoying him breaking away from that in the past few years and had mixed feelings about bringing it back, especially as a sort of full on second personality. I also struggle with Flip, he's athletic but not more so than a number of other guys and I'm not sure what else he brings to the table. By no means bad and it was cool to see Lanny Poffo, whom I always liked. The post match stuff with Bully was the most fun part of the segment for me.

Pentagon/Omega was great, despite what I thought was particularly annoying commentary at times. Omega had to wrestle a bit differently than his usual long-form style and Penta adapted himself as well. Definitely one of my favorites from the show so far, they lived up to my expectations. Especially liked that when Penta used the arm breaker, Omega sold it consistently and avoided using the arm too much, I was very afraid he was going to blow it off as he sometimes does but it was well executed. The Jericho appearance was certainly surprising, I couldn't help but roll my eyes a little when it was just an advertisement for Jericho's cruise but still, that's a cool moment you can replay again and again if needed.

Looking forward to the rest of the show, it's been a blast so far and just the fact that the show exists is extremely cool in and of itself!