PDA

View Full Version : Chikara

Prime Time
06-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Starting this because Mighty Molly is returning to the promotion, I've heard.

The bits of commentary I've seen suggests that they have been struggling to hit the heights lately but I imagine Molly is the sort of person who'll play well with their audience, especially in that sort of gimmick.

Mizfan will be pleased anyway!

mizfan
06-12-2018, 08:58 PM
You have no idea man, because I'm going to be live in the front row that whole weekend!! I am beyond psyched for this.

It's true that CHIKARA this year hasn't excited me as much as it has at other times in their history, but they're still doing a lot of things right and I'm enjoying the season. The big block right now is the fact that they delayed the release of their Infinite Gauntlet show on chikaratopia, so it's been a little while since I've caught up with everything.

But YEAH, Molly Holly!!!

Prime Time
12-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Huh, is Mizfan the only Chikara fan we have around here?

I assumed there'd be more of you for some reason!

Spinmaster
12-10-2018, 11:19 PM
*Raises hand* I'm a little bit behind right now, which I plan to fix before the end of the year. Still one of the better promotions I watch. Love the addition of Molly Holly. Should make for an interesting 2019 season!

mizfan
12-16-2018, 01:21 AM
Just finished the season finale, which was a great show. A lot of big stuff going down. Won't spoil it for Spinny if he's still watching through. Really glad they are running Chicago again next year, definitely gonna go!

Spinmaster
12-16-2018, 01:33 PM
I finished the season a couple days ago!! Awesome finale, with amazing in ring action as always! Can't wait until season 20!

mizfan
12-16-2018, 02:12 PM
I'm most interested in the seeming heel turn of Dasher Hatfield... he's pretty much been a straight up Ricky Steamboat style face for his whole career, all 11 or 12 years of it. He's really been a consistent beacon of sportsmanship and honorable behavior. Was it too much for him to be asked to give back the title he'd been defending for his injured tag partner? Did he get tired of being questioned and doubted by others on the roster? Really interested to see where they go with the character. Also really hoping Solo and Travis get another match, I loved the one they had but I think they can do even better with another shot.

Spinmaster
12-16-2018, 09:03 PM
I love the story they can do now with Hatfield. He can honestly state that he deserves that title and that he is the one who has been putting in the work and delivering the goods. It's an organic way to do a heel turn. Something that isn't done enough.

mizfan
12-17-2018, 01:53 AM
For sure, but I'm still shocked he did it. I guess if anyone could pull off a self righteous Bret Hart style heel turn, it'd be Dasher!

Spinmaster
12-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Without a doubt. I have the utmost confidence in him to make this a successful turn.

mizfan
12-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Very much so... what was your favorite stuff from this season, Spinny?

Spinmaster
12-17-2018, 03:20 PM
It wasn't as good as previous years but I enjoyed the King of Trios as always.
I loved the entire build to Mr. Touchdown gaining the title and then the subsequent stuff with Dasher defending the title for him.
I enjoyed Quackenbush vs Juan from Aniversario, as well as most of Juan's run with the Grand Championship.
Matt Riddle vs Mr Touchdown!!! Dasher Hatfield vs Fire Ant! Overall Go Eat Worms was a pretty good show.
I thought Solo Darling had a pretty good year as well.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head haha.

mizfan
12-17-2018, 07:23 PM
I think I actually enjoyed this year's King of Trios more than the past few, it was high time a home team won and they built a great story around it, unlike "cool outside team wins" like the past 3. Those were great too, don't get me wrong, but you can't invest in a random team of cool guys like you can in characters you've come to know and love. Plus, PCO!!!

Quack vs. Juan was AMAZING, wasn't it?? And love that Dasher/Fire Ant shoutout, I actually think that's one of my favorites of the year as well. The whole Travis/Solo feud, woooh, that was really something. Like I said, hope it's not over!

Spinmaster
12-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Hell yes it was amazing! All the matches I mentioned would be on a list of my top matches for sure.
I do agree with the home town team winning being better than the outside teams of previous years! Just overall I was a little down on the overall, however, I was also pretty burned out by then, as you know. Maybe a second viewing would change things. But even on first viewing I loved the home team getting the big win!!!

mizfan
12-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Both Colony/FIST and Colony/4 Nations blew me away, not to mention both PCO matches delivering big time and the TJP team being awesome!

Prime Time
05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Just bought a signal booster, loaded up the TV and after retuning a new on demand channel popped up, which when I clicked on it has a bunch of Chikara videos available....

I know from what you've said that it probably won't be for me, but I thought it might be worth a look at some point, just to see.

mizfan
05-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Please do! I think some elements will actually appeal to you a lot. There's a big influence from the World of Sport days in many of the matches, wins and losses tend to matter, characters are consistent and progress organically, and history is always important. I know you're a total package kind of guy so the silly stuff may be too much of a barrier, but I hope you see some stuff you like!