PDA

View Full Version : 2018 NFL Season

Prime Time
09-06-2018, 09:55 AM
The new NFL season is nearly upon us. Who is ready? Any early predictions?

Any thoughts on the Bell situation?

Nodqfan
09-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Sounds like he may sit out into the season at least until they either agree to a deal or trade him, it reminds me of my team (Raiders) and how they handled the Mack situation.

LWO4Life
09-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Sounds like he may sit out into the season at least until they either agree to a deal or trade him, it reminds me of my team (Raiders) and how they handled the Mack situation.

Dude, as a Raiders fan, the Mack situation still has me fucked up. I was so happy for Gruden, now I'm like, "we should have never brought that doll faced washed up never been anyways." Oh well, I still love Chucky, just wish we had Mack. I originally though we could win 11-13 games, now I'm thinking 7 to 9 games.

Nodqfan
09-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Dude, as a Raiders fan, the Mack situation still has me fucked up. I was so happy for Gruden, now I'm like, "we should have never brought that doll faced washed up never been anyways." Oh well, I still love Chucky, just wish we had Mack. I originally thought we could win 11-13 games, now I'm thinking 7 to 9 games.

I'm the same way I was shocked when the trade happened, then angry, and now I'm down in the dumps. From the way that Reggie Mackenzie has responded to the whole thing, it makes me question who's really in charge of the roster him or Gruden. As far predicting win totals I'd say they win anywhere from three to nine games this season.

LWO4Life
09-06-2018, 12:49 PM
I'm the same way I was shocked when the trade happened, then angry, and now I'm down in the dumps. From the way that Reggie Mackenzie has responded to the whole thing, it makes me question who's really in charge of the roster him or Gruden. As far predicting win totals I'd say they win anywhere from three to nine games this season.

Reggie had been talking about this resigning for the last two years, he basically said Carr will get his money, and then they'll get Mack under contract after that. Not sure why Gruden would want to trade? It sounds like he was convincing Mark this is for the best. I'm like, damn. That offense better be scoring 35 points a game now.

comfortablynumb
09-06-2018, 01:44 PM
No team pays two players more than $20 million this season. Raiders would have been the only one if they re-signed Mack. Redskins were the only team last year to have two players making that much. That’s way too much to committ to two players. It sucks if you are a fan but linebackers don’t win Super Bowls. The Bears have a great linebacker and will still suck this year.

There were also rumors the Raiders ownership literally can not afford to pay that contract. Davis needs to sell that team. Even his father needed to be bailed out.

LWO4Life
09-06-2018, 02:03 PM
The problem is that Mack WAS the WHOLE defense. Like, they only had a winning record 2 years ago because Mack stopped teams in critical moments when it looks like they were going to lose. Of course then Carr had to get hurt, and Carr was the reason they were winning to begin with. Now the Raiders better hope a players steps up.

LK3185
09-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Bell can't make more money, he's tagged. That's the rules. He either plays or costs himself money. The only reason to do this is to protect his longterm value when he becomes a Free Agent.

My Cowboys are gonna suck this year. Sigh.

comfortablynumb
09-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Yeah, Bell (and his agent) is just worried the Steelers are going to run him into the ground and hurt his future value since he definitely will not be in Pittsburgh in 2019.

Prime Time
09-07-2018, 04:08 AM
I don't know what the expectations were like in the US, but both of the pundits on our NFL show went for the Eagles to underperform and lose to Atlanta in the first match of their defence of their title but... SPOILER.... it looks like they at least did OK.

For my part I haven't seen anything of the game itself yet; how did they look in the win?

Heisenberg
09-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Meh both teams looked average. Both had their moments. But for the most part it was a terrible game to watch. Wouldn’t take much away from it. I tipped the Falcons myself as I thought the Eagles were putrid in the pre season, granted I shouldn’t take too much away from pre season but they were terrible, and thought they’d take a few weeks to get back into it. Falcons have the same problem they did last year. Once they enter the redzone they don’t seem to have the playcalls or players to make the plays. They need to work on that ASAP.

LK3185
09-07-2018, 10:27 AM
It was a sloppy, terrible game. Interesting that the new helmet rules didn't come into play but there was a bunch of flags and both teams couldn't move the ball til very late. Sarkasian, Falcons OC is gonna get fired if The Falcons Redzone troubles continue.

Nodqfan
09-07-2018, 11:49 AM
I think the sloppiness is due to the players sometimes sitting out preseason games and workouts due to certain circumstances (injury, contract disputes etc.) not being able to build/further chemistry with the team, and having to get used to regular game speed in Week 1.

LK3185
09-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Of course it is but nothing can be really done with that because you don't run the risk of people getting injured in meaningless games. It is amusing though all the hot takes after Week one when it usually takes teams about 4 weeks to really show what they are about.

Prime Time
09-10-2018, 07:20 AM
How about that tied game, eh? Browns came within a whisker. Saw an interesting stat too, they're the only side to have five or more takeaways in a game and still only manage to tie it.

LWO4Life
09-10-2018, 12:03 PM
And actually, they lost two games where they have 5+ turnover advantage. Teams with a +5 turnover advantage are 132 wins, 4 loses, and 1 ties, and the Browns have 2 loses and the tie.

meandi
09-11-2018, 08:39 PM
This will possibly be the only reply I make in this thread unless my Titans decide to run like gods this year (which is quite doubtful), but they’re now in the history books as having been in the longest game ever. So... there’s that.

LWO4Life
09-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Well I know one thing Mack will still make history and it wouldn't be in Silver and Black anymore. FML!

Powder
09-20-2018, 09:48 AM
J!E!T!S! Jets Jets Jets play tonight!!!

In theory we should get a win over the Browns, but they are the Jets....

LK3185
09-20-2018, 11:38 AM
They need the offense to play better than last week certainly but i expect a low scoring affair.

Prime Time
09-21-2018, 05:28 AM
Well, the 635 day streak is over. The Browns have won a game.

LK3185
09-21-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking Baker Mayfield is good... The Browns haven't had a good QB this since the 90s at least.

Rob S.
09-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Not making excuses for a 27-6 drubbing by the Bills, but the Vikings have a real issue with what's going on with Everson Griffen. He appears to be in real emotional distress, perhaps in the midst of a mental breakdown. Check the espn.com article for all the details, but sounds like all of it happened from Tuesday-Sunday of last week, and if that's the case that was a team that was majorly distracted going into their game.

Wishing Sack Daddy well, but it sounds pretty bad.

LK3185
09-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Yeah, sounds like he needs to be on some type of medication.

comfortablynumb
09-25-2018, 04:56 PM
I think the prospect of facing Josh Allen was too much for him to handle. As he watched more and more tape of Allen, Griffen realized this was no mere mortal.

Rob S.
09-25-2018, 05:44 PM
I think the prospect of facing Josh Allen was too much for him to handle. As he watched more and more tape of Allen, Griffen realized this was no mere mortal.

Yeah, a dude having major mental health issues is a perfect time to make a joke

comfortablynumb
09-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Get over it. I’m sure you really give a shit. If he wasn’t on your team you’d barely give it a thought. Save your self-righteousness.

Rob S.
09-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Get over it. I’m sure you really give a shit. If he wasn’t on your team you’d barely give it a thought. Save your self-righteousness.

I absolutely would, because I'm a human being. I'm guessing you make suicide jokes too. Dude is having a mental breakdown. As ssomeone with a sibling with mental health issues I don't take that stuff lightly

comfortablynumb
09-25-2018, 07:09 PM
That’s a lie but whatever you need to do to think you’re better than others, go for it. Maybe Allen will apologize for getting in his head and making him crazy.

And I do truly wish the best for your brother. I know how serious mental health issues are. I also know I’m going to have a little fun when the Bills win. Sorry.

Prime Time
10-01-2018, 05:48 AM
OK that took a turn. Let's keep the comments on the football and not on other posters, please. I don't want to have to step in.

To football... I feel like only the Cleveland Browns could lose with the kind of lead they had last night. The last time I checked it they were leading by a large margin and Raiders fans were wishing rid of half their key personnel... I wake up and lo and behold, they'd lost. Cleveland gonna Cleveland.

LWO4Life
10-01-2018, 04:31 PM
It still sucks as a Raider fan, because we were one Mack away from contending, and now it feels like a rebuild in which we are so close, yet so far away. It's like, we are going to lose and this is a throw away season. Nope sir, I don't like it.

meandi
10-02-2018, 08:37 PM
My Titans beat the champs, so there’s that. Apparently Vrable made a really bold choice to go for the win instead of settling for the tie (or risking the loss). Sometimes that mentality is good. Hope it doesn’t go to his head and cause him to make wrong calls later this season.

Prime Time
10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Still can't get over Vontae Davis quitting at half time....

Prime Time
10-14-2018, 01:09 PM
No thoughts on Drew Brees getting the all-time passing record?

For the love of Terry Funk
10-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Don't know about that but hope that the other British games give us more than the fuckin Raiders

Prime Time
10-31-2018, 04:21 PM
So Cleveland have made the coaching change. Bit of a difference of opinion out there about the replacement they've got in.

What do you guys think?

11-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Dunno about that but the last unbeaten record is gone, we can get serious about the season now.

Powder
11-06-2018, 12:16 PM
How popular is American Football in the UK and Europe? I know that the London games do very well with attendance, but what are the TV ratings like over there, and is the sport shown on TV? I honestly do not know if they do, but I know you can watch online.

Prime Time
11-06-2018, 12:20 PM
It's on pay TV with the exception of the games from London and some key games like the Superbowl, which probably limits people's ability to watch it live. I think it did decent numbers when it was on the bigger channels. The estimates I've seen suggest that there are around 1m UK viewers for the Superbowl.

Those who are into it are into it pretty hard, but it's still a ways behind our domestic sports currently.

Powder
11-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

Prime Time
11-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Reading Gronk is going to miss the Titans game.

Meanwhile, Dez Bryant has had some shit luck, it seems.

meandi
11-12-2018, 11:10 PM
So... my Titans have defeated both teams that were in last season’s Super Bowl, but we’re only 5-4. I’m not sure if that means we’re doing great or it’s more of a “how the mighty have fallen” kind of thing. Of course, the Titans also lost to the Bills, which is apperantly very embarrassing. Whatevs... I’m happy.

Prime Time
11-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Interesting couple of weeks with wins over the Cowboys and Pats followed by a drubbing by the Colts.

Surprised there's literally nothing in here about the Kansas and Rams game. I saw it late, myself, but would have been all over it if it were nearer to the time!

Browns have won 2 in a row. First time since November 2014. Finally turned the corner?

LK3185
11-26-2018, 09:51 AM
They finally have a QB. Also, have plenty of unhealded young talent that need proper direction.. if they get the right people in place next year, could def see them make the playoffs.

Prime Time
12-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Yeah, maybe. Have to wait and see where they finish this year I guess and then judge from there.

So Chargers are probably in the playoffs I guess - who do you see joining them in the AFC? Colts or Ravens in the driving seat I guess but that can change quickly.

NFC a lot harder to call, anyone willing to stick their neck out?

Prime Time
12-10-2018, 05:03 AM
Woke up this morning like... Did that ending actually happen in the Miami game?!

Read its the first time that finish has happened since at least the 1970 merger.

Gooner
12-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Yeah, pretty amazing play. I believe that's 1-5 against the Dolphins for the Pats in the last 6 games? Bogey team.

Have to say, Osi and Jason are really keeping me interested in the NFL this season on the BBC. It's a great hour of highlights and they do well to offer insight to the largely uninitiated.

Kleckamania
12-11-2018, 07:48 AM
Bears with a pretty huge upset win over the Rams. I knew the Bears were good this year, but that is a big, big win this late in the season.

NFC is between the Rams, Saints, and Bears. Total toss up, though the Bears are catching fire at the exact right time.

AFC is between the Patriots and Chiefs. Chiefs losing their RB could wind up being the difference between them winning the Superbowl, and losing the AFC Championship game.

LK3185
12-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Cowboys can beat anyone if the offense plays well. I'm not counting on it. But dismissing them? Nah.

12-17-2018, 04:40 AM
Cowboys are probably too inconsistent.

Impressed by the Bears.

Pats are less strong this year it seems

Kleckamania
12-19-2018, 10:07 AM
No offense to the Cowboys, but I dont see them standing a snowball's chance against any of the other playoff teams. Unless Jerry opens up his wallet to hire refs as Cowboys for a day. I think Minnesota, New Orleans, and the Bears would absolutely crush them at this point in a playoff game. Hell even the Rams, who are backing into the playoffs after an amazing start. The NFC is stacked this year. Playoffs will be fun. I see it being between New Orleans and the Bears, and I think this might be Drew Brees' year.

The AFC really isnt as wide open as it appears. We see the Patriots much weaker than they've been in prior years, but no other team in the AFC stands out atm. The Chiefs did before they lost their stud back, now teams can just put 4 men on the line and stack the secondary. Steelers are hot/cold at best. Even a weaker Pats team could still easily win the AFC Championship again, but I don't see them winning the Superbowl

Gooner
12-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Who's the early shout for MVP? Is it just me or is it a toss up between Mahomes and Brees?

Powder
12-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Rivers has to be in the discussion.

Kleckamania
12-19-2018, 02:20 PM
I think Mahomes will absolutely run away with MVP. 4,500 pass yards, 45 tds, 11 ints. Those are insane stats. The years Brady and Manning set td records they were at 51? Mahomes, a rookie, is 6 tds shy with 2 games left. Even if he doesnt hit 51, this is still one of the greatest qb seasons in NFL history. Which is staggering for a rookie.

Prime Time
12-31-2018, 07:20 AM
Seen a lot of people also saying Mahomes to be honest. Think if they go deep into the playoffs he might be a lock.

comfortablynumb
12-31-2018, 12:41 PM
MVP voting is done before the playoffs. Mahomes is a lock I think.

Prime Time
12-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Ah, that's where the subject knowledge comes in handy. But thanks!

Nodqfan
12-31-2018, 03:17 PM
A few coaches have been fired on the annual "Black Monday" around the NFL these include.

Denver - Vance Joesph
Miami: Adam Gase
Arizona: Steve Wilks
Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis
Tampa Bay: Dirk Kotter
New York Jets: Todd Bowles

This brings the total number of head coaching vacancies to eight including Cleveland and Green Bay.

Prime Time
01-16-2019, 12:58 PM
So we're getting to the crunch. How do you feel about the season your teams had, and what do make of the teams that are left (if they aren't the same teams, that is)?

Gooner
01-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Been a casual Giants fan. So... yeah. Enough about that.

However, I am becoming a massive fan of the Chiefs, and in particular Mahomes. Really feel he could be the guy to take the NFL into the next decade and become the next poster boy.

Still think the Pats will win mind. Never bet against Brady and Belichick.

Heisenberg
01-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Said it would be Pats v Rams at the start of the season, so have to stick with it. Think the Rams are actually locks to make it. Could see the Chiefs/Pats game going either way.

Prime Time
01-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Don't mind who wins this first game (could live with either team going to the Superbowl). Obviously cheering on the Chiefs later on.

Prime Time
01-21-2019, 10:00 AM
So, is everyone a Rams fan now, or does the controversial end to that game change things?!

Gooner
01-22-2019, 08:26 AM
For a very weird reason... I'll be supporting the Pats.

I have a strong dislike for the Rams' owner...

Powder
01-22-2019, 08:37 AM
So, is everyone a Rams fan now, or does the controversial end to that game change things?!

No, the ending of the game does not change the feeling about the Patriots. The non call and the way the Pats/Chiefs game ended will probably change the way OT and calls are made in the future, but the rest of the world still hates the Patriots.

Cannon
01-24-2019, 06:31 AM
I bet it changes the way Saints fans feel about the Pats.

They're going to win it all again though.

Heisenberg
01-26-2019, 08:23 AM
No, the ending of the game does not change the feeling about the Patriots. The non call and the way the Pats/Chiefs game ended will probably change the way OT and calls are made in the future, but the rest of the world still hates the Patriots.

Why not change it after the Super Bowl 2 years ago?

Powder
01-28-2019, 08:57 AM
No idea, but I think that will come into play.

Prime Time
02-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Starting a quick thread for anyone who wants to talk about the Superbowl live....

Seems like a lot of people are expecting the Pats but hoping for the Rams....

Gooner
02-04-2019, 05:25 AM
Yep, no responses says a lot about how that game went. I'm all for defensive masterclasses, but that was a bit dull.