PDA

View Full Version : King of the Columnists - Semi Finals (and QF Results)

Prime Time
02-23-2019, 07:36 AM
All the scores for the quarter-finals are in, and I'm ready to reveal the results. As with the last round, all of the columns will shortly be moved into the competition subforum. It was another close-run affair and I think everyone managed to win on at least one scorecard again - so for the second time running, no one got whitewashed (except Timebomb, who doesn't really count as he dropped out before the deadline). And once again there was no need for me to get involved and impose any other penalties, so the judges scores are the sole determining factor.

Here are the results.

Timebomb1234 – DQ
Anonymous – 425 85%

R-Prof – 433 86.6%
TheImplications – 380 76%

205Clive – 430 86%
JWG – 394 78.8%

Samuel ‘Plan – 426 – 85.2%
TheLAW – 394 78.8%

A couple of quick notes. No one was far off the bottom, but each winner averaged over 80, and each person exiting the competition at the stage was under 80, so while it was well contested there were clear winners in every case this time. With JWG and Imp leaving I think that means whatever happens, we'll have a first time contest winner this time out? R-Prof goes through with the highest score of the round, while Nony, after getting the top score in round one, had the lowest of the people progressing this time.

Long story short - it's all to play for and anyone left in it, can win it.

Here are your topics and the draw for the semi-finals.

Samuel ‘Plan vs R-Prof – The End of an Era
Anonymous vs 205Clive - What I Most Want to See

All rules remain the same for the semi-final and your word count remains 1800.

Deadline: Sunday 3rd March - 10PM in London, 5pm in New York.

Thanks to the four leaving us at this stage for playing, and good luck to the semi-finalists!

Samuel 'Plan
02-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Congrats to all those through and once again commiserations to those eliminated.

The fact there's so few points between every semi-formal IST makes this very exciting and tense. LAW brought his best. Getting past R-Prof is going to be one hell of a challenge.

SirSam
02-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Damn 'Plan v R-Proof, this is like a master v the apprentice battle.

205 Clive
02-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Sorry to see my opponent, Jacob, and the rest of the very unlucky ones go. There were a lot of incredibly strong entries in the quarters.

Good luck, Anonymous!

R-Prof
02-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Congrats to all the participants for producing great work and to all who advanced! Wow, a semi-final against 'Plan. Now I know how LAW felt last round. Looking forward to reading all the new entries.

TheLAW
02-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Well, I cant say I'm shocked. I suppose a 32 point loss is better than a total annihilation. Thanks to everyone for the reads and feds. I am no longer Mr. 173. See yall down the road

Prime Time
02-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Y'know, in the three competitive matches, there was a point where the scores were coming in and they looked like they could each have gone either way. It's been fascinating to see matches swing one way and then the other.

mizfan
02-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Much love to JWG, Imp, and especially Law who really staked a name for himself in this tourney. Very excited about the semi-finals!

JacobWrestledGod
02-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Thank you for such a well organised competition, I am rooting for the 2 underdogs, R-prof and Clive, because it’s just fun to do so! All the best :)

TheLAW
02-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Out of morbid curiosity, will we be seeing the score breakdowns again?

Rob S.
02-23-2019, 09:56 PM
I can post mine sometime tomorrow probably

Rob S.
02-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Double post, but here are my scores for that round

ROUND TWO
COMMUNICATION
Timebomb 1234 DQ
Anonymous 80

CORRUPTION
R-Prof 90
TheImplications 75

REALITY
205 Clive 92
JacobWrestledGod 75

ANIMALS
Plan 87
TheLAW 72

Spinmaster
02-25-2019, 09:55 AM
TimeBomb-
Nony- 92

RProf- 75
Implications- 78

205- 85
Jacob- 80

Plan- 80
LAW- 82

Skulduggery
02-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Here is how I scored things:

Timebomb1234 - N/A
Anonymous - 77

R-Prof - 84
TheImplications - 74

205Clive - 91
JacobWrestledGod - 69

Samuel ‘Plan - 88
TheLAW - 68

Rob S.
02-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Damn Skul, we were pretty much spot on with each other

mizfan
02-25-2019, 05:23 PM
Since the cool kids are doing it...

Nony 86

R-Prof 94
Imp 75

Clive 67
JWG 87

Plan 81
Law 81

Skulduggery
02-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Damn Skul, we were pretty much spot on with each other

Very close indeed!

The Doc
02-27-2019, 04:55 PM
A little bit more feedback from me here

Imp = 77.5 - I liked the column, but felt it got overwhelmed by more spirited efforts in the quarterfinals

Clive = 95.0 - Thought the piece was excellent, period, end of sentence

R-Prof = 90.0 - Very engaging column with a thought-provoking climax

Law = 91.25 - I read this thing on the wall of a Jimmy Johns that talked about the brain being able to pick what was being said on paper even if the words were jumbled so long as the words were ordered correctly; I honestly didn't see the grammar issues when I read your piece because I was so absorbed in it

JWG = 82.5 - Such a unique column, but when compared to more traditional stuff that flowed like Stolie, it tasted like Smirnoff's

Nony = 90.0 - Loved the raw emotion of your column

'Plan = 90.0 - fish gotta swim, 'Plan gotta write columns like that one

TheLAW
02-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Can't thank all the judges enough for their hard work in this tournament.

But I have to shout out Doc and Spin for giving me the edge above 'Plan and putting me in the fight on my way out. My grammer will probably never be perfect. Because I suck at proofreading and I use the free version of grammerly. Im a cheap bastard like that. I was going to try to hammer out a third column for this month. But after round 2 I am admittedly smoked in the brain box ATM. I have recieved a lot of love in this tourney and I want to thank all of the readers and feeders!

Extra extra thanks to Doc. I have never felt better about my writing than I do after reading what you just said. Thank you a million times over. Ok enough sappy shit. On with the show!

anonymous
03-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Going to work my arse off to get something out. Even it’s just to say I wrote a column with a “broken freakin’ nose”.

Kleckamania
03-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Edit: Removed per an agreement to both delete our posts out of respect for each other. Hope the best for you, Nony.

anonymous
03-02-2019, 04:43 AM
This place is a friendly community where people are the most important thing in it.

Rob S.
03-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Nony you do what's best for you. No worries my friend

TheLAW
03-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Did I miss something?

205 Clive
03-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Managed to submit an entry with hours to spare. To echo Nony's sentiments, it was a real task getting this one out there. A complete overhaul in the workplace, husband and father duties, podcast planning, and just life in general add pressure in submitting something for what is essentially a friendly tournament. Hats off to anyone who complies with the time limits of these things!

I do want to thank the judges and other readers' feedback for my work so far. Special mention to Sir Sam for inviting me to the tournament in the first place. Although a pressure at times, it's been an absolute joy writing about subjects outwith the 205 Live bubble. Regardless of what happens in the competition, I do hope to keep writing about WWE on a wider scale within these hallowed halls!

Samuel 'Plan
03-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Well, I've dropped my own effort - two radically different approaches by me and Prof so it'll be interesting to see how the scores come to reflect that!

R-Prof
03-03-2019, 03:52 PM
To re-echo the sentiments expressed by Nony and Clive above, my first tourney really has been a test of endurance, it's tough to anticipate the normal events of life over this kind of extended period. But it's been so rewarding to read these great pieces and get such thoughtful feedback on my own work. It's also just a real honor to be included with this group at this stage. I wouldn't be in the CF without 'Plan's help and encouragement, finding myself in a semi-final against 'Plan is kinda surreal. Many thanks to all the judges and participants, and to Prime Time for organizing everything!

anonymous
03-03-2019, 06:00 PM
It is what it is. I ran out of time. Didn't even get the title on the column. But fuck it all.

mizfan
03-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Glad everyone made it, even if it was by the skin of their teeth! Looking forward to reading and feeding. :)

TheLAW
03-05-2019, 04:13 PM
As a proud loser of this tournament. I have hand delivered feedback to the final 4. Good work all around. I pity the judges in this round

Skulduggery
03-06-2019, 10:55 PM
Really good round, guys. Scores submitted. Feedback coming eventually - might be a little later this time as a very hectic week has consumed me. But great effort by all, especially hearing some of the circumstances. Enjoyed reading all four pieces.