PDA

View Full Version : King of the Columnists VII - Grand Final Result

Prime Time
03-20-2019, 11:48 AM
King of the Columnists is a longstanding affair in this forum. The first was crowned way back in 2003, in the beginning of what some people call the first Golden Age of the CF. And, while it hasn't been an annual tradition, we have periodically crowned someone a King of the Columnists since that point, with four others following the inaugural king, DoubleHelix.

A couple of months ago we began with sixteen names looking to take the mantle of King this time around, and over the course of the intervening weeks we've whittled that number down to just two worthy contenders. I now have the final scores in from all five of the judges, and I can tell you, that they are high. Clearly, both columns were very well received on the whole.

However, there can be only one - and I suppose there's nothing left for me to do but reveal the final result.

Is the tension getting to you yet?

OK, no more messing around. The final scores as recorded by the judges are as follows:

Samuel ‘Plan – 459 91.8%
205Clive – 418 83.6%

A magnificent effort by Clive, averaging more than 83% and recording a terrific score once again. But congratulations to the winner of King of the Columnists VII, Samuel 'Plan. There was some chatter at the beginning of the tournament about him being an early favourite, but he'll be the first to tell you that he hasn't always had things his own way in this thing. However, he's grown into the tournament, and those with an eagle eye will note that in both the semi-final and final, he achieved the same score - which, coincidentally, just so happens to be the joint-highest score of any column in the tournament. So he managed consistency in his victory, too.

That's one off the list for 'Plan, as he adds really the only accolade which was lacking from his proverbial trophy case.

Right, that's it for this whole affair. My sincere thanks to the judges for their role in making this thing run as smoothly as it has done, and also to the competitors, for providing us with such great material and for conducting yourselves so well. I think this has been a tremendous advert for the Columns Forum, and that's really all down to you guys.

I can't imagine this will be the last time we'll run one of these in the CF. I don't think there's anything planned right now but the best advice I can give you is, if you've enjoyed taking part or reading, stay tuned.....

TheLAW
03-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Well if I was going to get taken out, I'm glad it was by the winner. Congrats 'Plan!

Skulduggery
03-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Nice work, 'Plan! Consistently great throughout the entire tournament. Truly a joy to read each column you put forth. Big tip of the hat to Clive as well - honestly thought you shattered expectations more than anyone this tournament and put your name on the map a la Leaf in The Voice 2014 or JWG in the 2015 Grand Prix.

Here's how I scored the finals:

Samuel 'Plan - 86
205Clive - 80

Big ups to Prime Time for a very smoothly run tourney.

Rob S.
03-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Fantastic tournament. Congrats to both men for a great final. My scores were high as both men brought it.

Plan 95
Clive 87

Well done Plan, Pete, the judges and all the competitors

Samuel 'Plan
03-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Oh blimey. What a wonderful way to end the day!

I've been a runner up three times in tourneys and thought this would be a close run final so I'm delighted to have won out. In my last try as well! Legitimately very thrilled to tick off the last accomplishment here. Beginning of the end, indeed.

Congrats to everyone else as well - especially Clive, who had a hell of a tourney in his own right and brought it with what I thought was a great final piece. Thanks to the judges for their hard work and swift turn arounds and to my eternal nemesis Prime, for running the smoothest tourney I've been a part of in my time here.

Woohoo! *Pops champagne*

205 Clive
03-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Well done, 'Plan, congratulations! A great column that earns you the achievement that has escaped you till now.

As the opening of my piece said, I knew I had a tough test ahead of me. With that in mind, I took an admitted gamble. It was still a relatively close call at the end, but after reading the feedback from readers and judges, hindsight is a wonderful/horrible thing! Regardless, I'm proud of what I produced in this competition, and my passion for writing outwith the 205 results has reared its head again.

Thanks to Prime, the judges, my opponents in each round, and readers who just wanted to read it. I've enjoyed (stressed over) every minute of it. I will reply to the individual feedback over the next couple of days, I promise!

mizfan
03-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Congrats to Plan on the win, to Clive on an incredible showing, to everyone who participated and didn't no show, and especially to Pete for running this in a frankly unbelievably smooth way. Bravo to all!

I thought the final was actually very evenly matched, and gave Clive an 84 and Plan an 81. Curious if any other judge went with Clive or just me. Both pieces spoke to me in a different way, so again congratulations to both guys!

SirSam
03-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Congratulations Plan.

Consistency throughout the tournament was very high and I think ultimately you deserved this one. Great job all round lads.

Special shout out to PT and the judges for their effort to pull this off. It all went oh so smoothly.

Spinmaster
03-20-2019, 11:07 PM
205 Clive- 86
Plan- 97

DynamiteBillington
03-21-2019, 07:00 AM
Nice work with the victory. Due to my circumstances lately I only read the two entries in the final but knowing the general quality in the forums, you both beat some good competition along the way.

Got to say though, it will be a shame to see Plan leave us. Hope it's not a complete breakaway and you still check in occasionally?

anonymous
03-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. If your head fits through it.

Congratulations, old friend. I love you and you deserve this.

meandi
03-23-2019, 12:18 AM
^Told you down in the haiku thread that Plan was gonna win. (#shamelessplugforthehaikuthread)

Good job, Plan. Been reading you for years, and I enjoy your podcasts. Well deserved, and I can’t wait to see your next endeavors.