PDA

View Full Version : Disney+ and the death of Netflix

comfortablynumb
04-12-2019, 04:01 PM
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-spotlights-comprehensive-direct-to-consumer-strategy-at-2019-investor-day/

So Disney unveiled all the details of it's highly-anticipated streaming service today. When I first heard about it I never thought it could hurt Netflix but with a $6.99 price tag per month, I think I was wrong. Netflix is in big trouble.

Some of the highlights of the announcement, and a lot of these original shows were already confirmed:

-The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, a live-action series with Anthony Mackie returning as Falcon and Sebastian Stan reprising his role as Winter Soldier.

-WandaVision, a live-action series with Elizabeth Olsen returning as Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany reprising his role as The Vision

-Marvel’s What If…?, the first animated series from Marvel Studios and takes inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory.

-Scripted originals previously announced for Disney+ include The Mandalorian, the world’s first scripted live-action Star Wars series; the exclusive new season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars; the untitled Cassian Andor series starring Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk; the Marvel Studios’ series Loki starring Tom Hiddleston; among others.

-all 30 seasons of The Simpsons will be available on the service on day one.

-New Disney movies will hit the service the day the BluRays hit the stores.

-Huge Disney library

meandi
04-12-2019, 05:50 PM
I’m in. How long until the relaunch the Defenders series is what I’m really curious about, though.

Gooner
04-15-2019, 04:38 AM
I think they're reaching the market too late. Can't see Netflix suffering long term (though they will lose out in some aspects, already have in fact with the Marvel cancellations).

Prime Time
08-07-2019, 05:32 AM
This had some big news in the past week so giving it a bump.

Worth pointing out, too, that Netflix is a genuinely global beast, while Disney are still looking at two years (at least the last I heard) before it'll be rolled out for those of us outside North America.

comfortablynumb
08-07-2019, 09:41 AM
I just think Netflix's downfall has already started. They just reported for the first time that they lost subscribers in their recent earnings report, causing a huge loss for the company. They are also losing their two most popular shows, by far, in 2020: The Office and Friends. I like a lot of Netflix's original programming but who knows how well-watched they are.

I realize Netflix internationally is much different with certain shows appearing on Netflix that don't have contracts with Netflix in North America, but the signs are not good for the company.

Prime Time
08-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Right now it could be the start of a decline, and it could be nothing substantial in the long term. Honestly, it all depends on how they react. But the fact that they are clearly the number one in the rest of the world and are likely to be for a while yet, that gives them plenty of opportunity to react.

We actually don't get The Office (US) on Netflix here in the UK, and I get the impression that it's actually their original stuff that is the biggest drawing card. Though I must admit I tend to watch stuff from other sources more often, but I don't think I'm all that typical.

comfortablynumb
08-07-2019, 10:15 AM
It definitely is the start of a decline.

And they've come out and said The Office and Friends are their two most-watched shows in NA. Media even ran stories when both were announced to be moving off the service because it's a big deal here. The Office (U.S. show) craze here is very hard to explain but it's insanely popular (I've watched it many many times through). A minor league baseball team from my hometown had the actor who portrayed Stanley come to sign autographs and take photos for "The Office Night," and he drew thousands of people and after 10 minutes they stopped with autographs just so they could fit everyone in the time allotted. He drew more people than actual baseball legends. This isn't even a major character. Those minor Office actors tour places like Star Trek actors do now.

Kleckamania
08-07-2019, 10:40 AM
I heard murmurs from a couple super in the know, slightly nerdier friends that this Disney streaming service might offer an option for Hulu as well- as in you pay a lower fee to have both packaged together.

Still though this doesn't hurt Netflix nearly as much as it will hurt cable and satelite. Disney might finally cause the tipping point- the moment cable and satellite companies actually have to offer affordable, honest rates to their consumers.

Prime Time
08-07-2019, 10:58 AM
It definitely is the start of a decline.

And they've come out and said The Office and Friends are their two most-watched shows in NA. Media even ran stories when both were announced to be moving off the service because it's a big deal here. The Office (U.S. show) craze here is very hard to explain but it's insanely popular (I've watched it many many times through). A minor league baseball team from my hometown had the actor who portrayed Stanley come to sign autographs and take photos for "The Office Night," and he drew thousands of people and after 10 minutes they stopped with autographs just so they could fit everyone in the time allotted. He drew more people than actual baseball legends. This isn't even a major character. Those minor Office actors tour places like Star Trek actors do now.

I never argued with you on the latter, I was giving info on our region. And I'm not going to pretend I know the future on the former. As I say, it's all about how they respond, and not being privy to that information it's impossible to say anything informed.

EDIT: Kleck, to your point there's an image doing the rounds that has a Disney/Hulu/ESPN banner.

Benjamin Button
08-07-2019, 11:17 AM
There's no doubt it could hurt them. There's Disney movies on netflix...If theres a saving grace its the two are very different, off hand, I have no inclination to leave Netflix for Disney.

comfortablynumb
08-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Those Disney movies on Netflix will be gone soon. As companies gear up for their own streaming services, shows/movies are being pulled off Netflix, (like all the Marvel/Disney movies, The Office, Friends, and more). It will take a year or two for that to happen but in a couple years it's going to be mostly original content combined with the hundreds of standup comedy specials (which 90 percent are terrible). I will say Eddie Murphy doing a Netflix standup special(s) would get me interested in Netflix again, for a month.

LK3185
08-07-2019, 04:53 PM
There's too many streaming services where i think most if not all are going to becoming niches and not giants taking the lion share of dollars. I know my Dad who has Prime and Netflix doesn't want to deal with a another service and Disney plus doesn't interest him that much but that can def change.