The Legacy Series

Got a message for Shane and mizfan? Maybe want to express your opinion about a specific PPV, wrestler or storyline that they've discussed on the show? Perhaps you'd like to bring up something you thought that they didn't spend enough time on?

This is the place to do it, as you can use this thread to unearth the forgotten (or overlooked) narratives of The Legacy Series!

Congrats on getting through the series lads. I was a late joiner but have really enjoyed what I have heard from the series and the wrap up episodes are going to be an absolute treat.

The Brain
    I'm really glad people have enjoyed the series so much, it's definitely one of the most rewarding wrestling projects I've ever done. Old episodes are all archived on LOPR, and well worth a listen, I think! The finales were tough to record emotionally but I think we put a fantastic bow on the series, so hopefully people enjoy that just as much.

We've already started recordings for WWF: The Legacy Series, which I think will be a very different but really fantastic ride as well. Current plan it to go from the first Wrestlemania up until XIX, in keeping with the F in WWF (mostly).

Yes, please check out the archives when you have time. Particularly whichever episode we covered Flair beating Steamboat and the Funk turn. While we are talking Funk is when I first realized this series could be special.

Not going to lie, it became a chore between 98-2000 with WCW. The 2-part finale and returning to the 80s with WWF:TLS is rejuvenating me, however.

Thanks for listening!

Was pretty late to the series but have gone back and listened to them all and it's been a fantastic way of passing the time at work. Listened to Mayhem 2000 today so only a few more episodes to go.
    It was around this sort of time that I first became aware of WCW and the first match I saw was a random nitro match between Jarrett and Booker T with 4 boxes on each corner, containing different items. I can remember the title belt being one and coal-miners glove being another but can't remember what else! A few weeks later I got my hands on a video of Slamboree 2000 and for some reason became a fan after watching that event!
    I've really enjoyed the series so far, thanks for doing it and I'm looking forward to WWF The Leagcy Series and being able to listen along as you release each episode. You both come across as so passionate and knowledgeable about the events and it's great to hear the raw emotion from some of Mystic's monologues/rants, particularly about Russo! You can tell it still hurts even nearly 20 years later and I'm fully on-board with trying people on war crimes who can cause that sort of emotion 20 years down the line. Thanks again, great listen.

The Brain
    Really cool that there are people catching up out there, great to hear from you Sketch!

What a thing, to be introduced to WCW via something so Russo-riffic, but you never know what will grab you as a new fan, huh? I will say, there are much, much worse main events from 2000, so you probably lucked out with Slamboree all things considered.

Thanks for listening man, the finale should pack a real wallop when it comes out!

Shane's intro to the most recent podcast is incredible. Making wrestling seem transcendent. Are you even on this one Mizfan?

Edit: Powerful Mizfan coming in with the Flair promo.

The Brain
    Shane's intro plus the Flair promo is probably the most powerful one-two combo we've ever done on the show. We didn't talk about it or plan it out at all, we didn't know what the other was going to say, it just came together and clicked. Really proud of that episode, really glad it came across well.

It's been a fantastic couple of year's listening to your show. Appreciate the shout outs on the last two episodes, thought you guys would've just perceived me a Marky-Mark with the pestering of more shows but I'm grateful all the more that you guys are letting WCW's legacy have a proper burial.

Looking forward to what you guys have in store for tomorrow.
    I imagine you'll be paying a lot of homage to Lex, Regal, Ox Baker, Scorpio, Vader and The Hollywood Blondes for a bit, talk a whole bunch of justifiable shit about Hogan, Beefcake, Chamber of Horrors, Sullivan's boner for destroying Hulk' mania and Tony proclaiming it doesn't matter which one's Kane and whib one is Kole.
    And the rest I assume will be what you enjoyed unearthing this dead fed and re-iterate some more on people being trialed for war crimes.

Sketch - Thank you for the detailed feedback. I love getting that. One of the strangest things about doing this series is that people have told us they listen to it at work, on the bus, working out, when making a long commute. It's a hell of a pleasure to get to be that kind of service. It's been a hell of a thing. Almost 3 years to complete. And I watched years that I had never allowed myself to (1999-2001). Most of it hurt as bad as I thought it would. However, there was some upside. I really came to like the Magnificent 7 at the end, for example. We have started recording WWF: TLS. I had long forgotten how FUCKIN' AMAZING 80's Randy Savage is.

SirSam - That was a tough show to do. As were the next two (WCW: TLS Finale Parts I and II). Thank you for bearing witness.

CC -- I FEEL SO FUCKIN' BAD NOW. WE DIDN'T MENTION OX BAKER!! Thank you for shouting him out! I love those predictions. You aren't far from it, my friend.

Part I of the WCW: TLS Finale drops today!

Been really enjoying the nitro..Very emotional guys. Very well done. Great opening by Shane and matched so well by Mizfan's recital of Flair's promo. The words Flair chose were so good. Miz fan really brought them out as sometimes with all Flair's antics you miss out on the words.

Good job, guys! Looking fwd to hearing the next show this weekend.

I'm really enjoying these and trying to listen from the beginning (Starrcade 88) through present but not able to find each episode. Can someone point me to an official archive? i have found some collections of shows but can't seem to find a complete collection at any of the LOPR collection sites (blogspot, etc...)

The Brain
    Count me in on regretting that we didn't mention the great Ox Baker. Pretty sure we have to do the whole series over again now.

Really glad people liked the inclusion of the Flair promo.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to sort Blogtalk to see only the Legacy Series episodes, but for anyone looking to start at the beginning, you can find it here in the list of all LOPR programs that have aired:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lordsofpain/94

And from there just keep going forward in time. Hope this helps!

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks mizfan!

The Brain
    My pleasure man! Happy listening!

Ben - It was also great that mizfan did that Flair promo because the actual audience-partly because of had far WCW had fallen and partly because it was a spring break audience-didn't know how to fully appreciate the moment.

BK - Please feel free to post questions or comments about any of those past episodes in this thread.

Mystic - Iím working through the end of Ď91 right now (currently listening to the Clash with the big dramatic Sting gift thread reveal) and I was about four years into my wrestling fandom at this point. I was pretty split between the WWF and NWA/WCW but as a native NYer that probably really means I preferred NWA/WCW since I grew up in the heart of McMahon/Hogan country and would have had a natural bias. Gotta just say how great listening to the take that you and mizfan have and the narrative youíre creating. Heading your perspectives on Flair and his departure is unique since the E doesnít let that perspective to exist in todayís wrestling lore. The work you both put in is commendable as all get out.

Thank you both for some of the varsity club love - huge fan. A fantasy feud of mine for no reason other than some of the members skills parity is a full Varsity Club personnel of the late 80s and Heart Foundation of 97 feud if both factions were at their healthiest and the factions existed at their talent height contemporaneously.

The Brain
    A Varsity Club fan!!! You need to stick around my friend, you are certified cool at this point.