Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braun Strowman

Braun Strowman

A while ago in the old thread the idea was raised that the risk of turning Braun was they would ruin him as a character.

WWE fans, how is he working out for you?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

If they gave him something to do it would be great.

The Brain
    Make him the GODDAM CHAMPION already.

I like when we're on the same page. It happens so rarely after Bockwinkel retires.

Braun for champ of everything.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    ^^^I like this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I like when we're on the same page. It happens so rarely after Bockwinkel retires.
    I'm dying because this is so accurate as the watershed moment.

Yeah, just give him the title and run with it.

He's now being positioned as someone who is completely floating - tagging with Lashley isn't going to help him at all - and he really needs to get that title, or just a title, before he starts to cool down.

Not on board with wanting to see him as champion yet. I don't think he needs the belt, nor do I think it would do as much for him as others who could hold it.

Would a guy who holds all the advantages he has really work as a babyface when he's feuding with babyfaces who are much smaller than him for very long like Rollins, Balor, Ambrose, etc. He's already made the other full time heels his bitch in the likes of Owens, Zayn, Ellias. Jinder? No thanks.

I'd like to see his character given more wrinkles, perhaps give him a serious challenge to overcome like mid 90's Undertaker got from Mankind and Kane before putting the strap on him. Maybe they should have him one level below the main event beating the likes of Triple H and John Cena- but do those feuds really need the title. Rollins I believe right now would do far more with it, it for the TV product, and the belt more for Rollins

Strowman's singles match against KO on Monday was good, b/c KO carried him to a good match. KO made Strowman look great.

BUT Strowman needs a singles feud to carry him to SummerSlam. Lashley would work or even Rollins. Hell even Bray Wyatt would work. Shame that they wouldn't bring Cesaro back to RAW, he would be perfect to feud with Strowman. Cesaro has the height and the well documented strength to match up with Strowman. Even a Sheamus singles match would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I'm dying because this is so accurate as the watershed moment.
    I like a lot of stuff in the mid-90s, I'm sure we can get on the main page every so often up until maybe 1998.

Sounds like Big Show shit all over the idea of Braun as champ. Might be a bad sign for his beating Brock if others in power feel the same way.

I wouldn't consider that to be shitting on him. What he said was true, and we've all known for a while that Braun is pretty green and limited. There's a reason why they haven't pulled the trigger on him thus far, despite his super overness, because they're also cognizant of his limitations. And they *are* in my view overdoing the comedy with him.

I'd say it has less to do with his greenness and more to do with how his status as a giant could limit things for him as he can't have the kind of varied matches a smaller guy (even just by a bit) can, Show compared a giant to John Cena who could have a competitive match against bigger and smaller guys with ease. With a big guy you have to be a lot more creative to have that kind of versatility. There is a very fine line between being so dominant it is boring and beatable enough without losing the giant aura.

I feel like the WWE can pull it off with the right wrestlers, they just need to be the top of their game creatively, after all it was arguably the Sami Zayn feud that really put Braun on a trajectory towards the top in the first place.

But if Braun was less green and a competent/great wrestler, then it wouldn't matter. Kind of like Lesnar, who isn't a giant by any means, but he did have an aura of invincibility, and he was still able to work with everyone from Eddie to skinny guys like Punk to big guys like Taker, because Brock is a terrific, versatile, freakishly athletic wrestler who can do lots of things. Braun really isn't that. Not yet, anyways.

I didn't say that they shit on him, I said they shit on the idea of him as champ. Subtle difference but it's key.

Sounds like he said he might get the belt but will never be the guy long term. The comments I saw said that's not a talent thing, more of a size thing.

The Brain
    I was amazed to look it up and see Strowman is only a 3 year vet at this point. Still though, honestly, is he really so green? If so it doesn't seem to have mattered much yet. There are about 100 ways to protect someone's image if they really are green, and it obviously hasn't stopped him from getting over like crazy. This feels like a very solvable problem.

Why not test it and see how it goes? It won't damage him as long as you have someone on standby just in case things go south. They have many guys who could take over in a pinch.

He's there on popularity and hasn't had an outright bad match in ages. And he hasn't always worked with the best workers while doing so.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I was amazed to look it up and see Strowman is only a 3 year vet at this point. Still though, honestly, is he really so green? If so it doesn't seem to have mattered much yet. There are about 100 ways to protect someone's image if they really are green, and it obviously hasn't stopped him from getting over like crazy. This feels like a very solvable problem.
    He is sort of green. If you look at his singles matches, they tend to be sort of meh (he even had an average match with Sami Zayn of all people once), or they're good if they're carefully produced spectacular gimmick matches, such as his Reigns matches. Aside from that, the only good ones are pretty obvious one-sided carry jobs, like that one match with Kevin Owens where Owens bumped all over to make him look like a juggernaut. He wasn't exposed, and the audience bought it, but I think experienced fans saw that it was a masterful carry-job by Owens.

I largely agree with you that it doesn't matter because of how over he is. However, the modern wrestling expectation, even in the WWE, is that you have to be a good-great worker and be able to wrestle good-great 15-25 minute main event matches. And it's an open question at this point if Braun can do that on a consistent basis outside of spectacular gimmick car crash matches with a variety of opponents. He can be protected to an extent, especially if the reign is kept short (4~ months, then have him go on the monster rampage chase) and he isn't wrestling too many singles matches, but I don't know that he's the kind of guy who can at this point carry the belt for 6-12 months and be in singles main events on PPVs and Raws every week.

So he can have a reign, but he isn't in a position yet to really carry the in ring work as the top guy in the company, in my view. You can get 4 month burst intervals out of him and rotate it with a few people though. If you protect him but also let him sink or swim, and he improves, that's also good.

I get the impression from Show's comments that they have a very fixed idea of what the champion is and what kind of champion they have to have, rather than going with what seems to whatever is hottest and making the roster work around it. Kinda like they want a 'worker' and they're not going to think about doing a Billy Graham or Hulk Hogan style where it's often about pairing the workers with the champion.

The Brain
    I still say if you just book him in a bunch of carefully produced spectacle matches at the top for the big defenses and let him keep learning on TV/house shows, you'll have no problem with the guy. I can see some value in a short-ish title reign as a test, if 4 months is still considered short, but I'm wary about using that first title win without being ready to commit, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Notice for the first time a few people are asking is Strowman being booked too strong after the latest Raw where he won a glorified 3 on 1 handicap (with 2 guys among the top faces) and kicked out of all their finishers 1 after the other (after surviving the splash off a ladder through a table no less). He's booked way more like superman than Roman Reigns. Unlike Strowman, fairly often Reigns gets a dose of kryptonite. Strowman basically stands tall on every Raw and every PPV- with relative ease too. Even if he doesn't win Money In the Bank this week, I fully expect he will be laying out the winner post fight.

Still say if Vince approached you and said he is considering 3 guys in Rollins, Reigns or Strowman as babyface champion at Summerslam and wanted you to script the title reign that follows from Summerlsam to Wrestlemania, Strowman would be by far the hardest one to write for of the 3 (without having to resort to bringing in part timers). Rollins can play underdog to heel, larger faces or Shield Brothers. It's not hard to imagine guys like Balor or Zayn being credible threats to Reigns. Strowman is a different story though. Way bigger than his babyface counter parts, hammered all the heels already with ease.

As I said earlier he needs a Mankind or a Kane or a heel Paul Bearer to his 96-98 Undertaker, not a title he'd struggle to do anything with once he has it.

I was wondering why does the WWE not use the "Tied up in between the top and middle rope" gimmick when Strowman is in a match? In almost every Andre match against smaller opponents Andre would tied himself up in the ropes or have his opponent tie him up to allow the smaller guy to have an advantage. Why doesn't the WWE use the same tactic for Strowman matches? It would make matches between Balor and Strowman that much more believable where Balor ties up Strowman and attacks his leg, and when Strowman finally gets free he sells the leg.

Simple and easy way to even the odds. And if Andre did it all the time, don't even try to tell me it wouldn't work with Strowman.

What are the odds he wins this weekend given that he came out on top in the go home show?

Also, will we see the return of The Big Show's personal ladder from 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    What are the odds he wins this weekend given that he came out on top in the go home show?

Also, will we see the return of The Big Show's personal ladder from 2010?
    no, since Strowman was on a ladder on Monday.

OOF. I didn't watch Raw. Never mind, then..

The Brain
    I would love to see the MegaLadder return. I loved that prop.

I think it's more acceptable to people to book Strowman as dominant because, just looking at him compared to Reigns, it's very believable. I'd be completely down for a run where heels come out of the woodwork to try to take down the unstoppable monster, only for him to smash through all of them, at least until he comes up against Rollins or whoever is able to find the key to hand him a rare loss.

Feel the same way as MF. I don't mind Strowman dominating but its a simliar issue to reigns in that in not winning the title, you're not moving forward in the story so there's a lack of payoff. Braun has never really been conquered.. except maybe by Brock so its like give him a run, see how it goes then give another the rub. demolishing people without the title does little..

Same as Reigns who somehow thinks there's a conspiracy against him.

So am I the only one that is absolutely ropeable at how Braun has acted since winning the MITB?

This is a guy that for over a year and a half demanded more and more competition, has never showed one sceric of patience or restraint but we are supposed to believe this character is waiting to call his shot against Brock Lesnar. He should have interrupted the very first segment of Raw on Monday and declared that Brock Lesnar better show up next week to catch these hands because he is cashing in his briefcase.

Boderline character assassination in my opinion. Joe I can imagine biding his time but Braun is a monster that has never showed an ounce of calculation in his actions. Just look at how he sacrificed the match against The Shield because of how Kane treated him.

The Brain
    I didn't know ropeable was a way someone could be/feel!

The fact that people are already saying Braun's moment has passed and are calling for Rollins to be the guy who beats Brock is very telling. Definitely missed their chance (more than one, honestly) to strike while the iron was hot. Braun will be fine (probably) but another case where we'll probably always wonder if it could have been more.

Long term he will probably have a career like The Big Show or Kane. Because of his obvious size he is always just a match or two away from looking like a legit challenger or even transitional champ but his chance to be an absolute top tier guy may be slipping away.

I too was glad to learn the word ropeable.

There is a theory that Roman and Braun - and maybe some others - are being cooled off deliberately, so they can be stars, but not megastars who hold more of the cards than the 'E would like.

Not saying I believe it exactly but it is consistent with a few things we know are true, so who knows.

Yeah Roman is in no danger of becoming a mega star.

The Brain
    There does seem to be a pattern of that kind of thing. Then again, the strategy apparently netted them eleventy billion dollars from TV networks, so what do we know??

More to do with changing TV patterns than the show, I suspect. But yes, if it is that easy and there's no creative drive to be as good as possible, why change?

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Yeah Roman is in no danger of becoming a mega star.
    This.

True, but kinda missing the point.

Anyway, back on topic: thoughts on Strowman eating a loss at Extreme Rules?

It was presented like he won. If you are going to beat Braun, this is the way you do it.

He lost the match but won the fight. I guess it depends on your view of wins and losses.

Braun probably shouldn't be in line for any title matches, without using the MITB briefcase, at SummerSlam since he lost the match.

They protected Braun with a holy shit moment and devaluing the match. If a win or loss didn't matter to either guy, why have the match? KO made it clear that he didn't want to be in it, and Braun was obviously not concerned with winning, so why have a match at all?

There are times where that finish makes a ton of sense but the story that they were telling didn't warrant it. If KO had some clause where Braun couldn't touch him before the PPV and had spent a month taunting him and doing dastardly things to his friends and sneak attacking him and leaving him bloodied only to be told by Kurt Angle "You might be able to avoid Braun because of your restraining order, but this Sunday you won't be able to run because you'll be locked inside of a steel cage!", then you've got the emotional cachet to have Braun decide in the moment that he doesn't give a shit about the win and just wants to hurt KO for all of the vile shit he's put him through, results of the match be damned.

But as it stands, KO spent a month running scared from Braun literally hiding in a toilet and getting embarrassed. Braun looks like a bully. He's bigger and stronger and tormented KO who wasn't running to be cerebral, as is in line with his character, but was running out of fear only to decided not to bother winning the match (ostensibly his job) in favour of injuring the guy.

KO will hopefully get some time off to take his boy to the zoo, since school's out for the summer. But in five weeks when Braun presumably seeks out the actual W in a match there's no emotional investment whatsoever because he's already made clear that a win over Kevin Owens means nothing to him.

The heat should be on KO and Kurt. Kurt put him in this match that he repeated said he didn't want against a guy who showed that he didn't want to win, he only wanted to hurt KO (something that he'd already proven himself capable of doing). Owens should be looking to rip Kurt apart...but we've seen that angle two(?) times already with Owens.

My biggest gripe of the match, though? If the whole build to this match-up had been KO running away from Braun, should it not explicitly have been that you can't win by escaping the cage? If Kurt wants these guys to fight, why give KO the option of running away (again!) but making it slightly harder?

The Brain
    That is a GREAT, if somewhat depressing, breakdown.

This moment should lead to a hell in the cell match. You can replay it, and then Kurt says hell in the cell is no escape so KO can't run away. I find myself way more interested in this feud now.