Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar

The Freshly Squeezed Orange Cassidy

At AEW's Double Or Nothing pre-show battle royal, we saw Orange Cassidy make an appearance. Not only that, he had the balls to go right up to a hardcore legend in Tommy Dreamer and go mano a mano with him. That was the first time I saw Orange Cassidy in action and he was one of my highlights of the show.

It seems like YouTube is becoming a sentient being, because a day or two later this little gem suddenly popped up in my recommendations - Orange Cassidy vs. Gentleman Jervis at WrestleCircus from a few weeks ago.

I admit, I'm usually not one for this type of wrestling, but there's something about Orange Cassidy that I'm digging a lot and want to find more. Anyone have more recommendations to share?

The Brain
    I absolutely love Orange Cassidy. The great thing about him is he can nail the pure comedy stuff but he can also work a real match around his character if the situation calls for it. WrestleCircus is super fun, gonna check out that whole show in fact!

Recommendations!

Orange Cassidy & Session Moth Martina vs. Joey Janela & Penelope Ford 4/5/18 Beyond Wrestling Lit Up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YHHHFFtOIM

The Gentleman's Club (Orange Cassidy & Chuck Taylor) vs. Team Tremendous vs. Beaver Boys vs. Massage Force 7/29/18 Beyond Wrestling Americanrana
    https://youtu.be/DPATu1NNTDY?t=7450

Orange Cassidy vs. Kylie Rae, PowerbombTV Independent Championship 4/17/19 Beyond Uncharted Territory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A32sT1c-btU

This thread is all wrong; it should be titled The Freshly Squeezed Orange Cassidy! Don't make me deploy the Steinerbot on you fools.

Ha, thanks for the title update, it definitely feels more appropriate.

Thanks for recommendations, mizfan. I checked out the intergender tag match and it was so damn corny that I couldn't help but enjoy it.

The Brain
    That "Canadian Destroyer" really killed me, haha.

Orange Cassidy is now officially signed to AEW. Curious to see how he'll be used when they begin their weekly show.

I guess this kills any minuscule shred of hope anyone ever had for Jim Cornette to become a part of AEW, right?

We'll see how he goes. I think he undermines any unity of effect that could make a serious product...Cant really see where there's any outcry for more comedy stuff like this in AEW, but maybe Im missing some data their getting from somewhere.

I mean people consider New Japan to be a serious product and they seem to be doing okay with Toru Yano winning multiple G1 matches and three Tag Titles while doing a full on comedy routine. WWE is supposed to be considered a series product and yet people go nuts for the 24/7 stuff which is mostly comedy. Hell Santino Marella built an entire career out of being a comedy act who beat people with a snake puppet slightly jabbing people in the head and most people still love him. I'm not sure why those things are okay but Orange Cassidy is now a problem because he works the first few minutes of a match wearing sunglasses while his hands are in his pockets. I think AEW can pull that off while keeping the rest of the stuff serious.

And guess what; Orange Cassidy can also do the serious stuff because he's an AWESOME wrestler beyond the gimmick. I'm guessing most people don't know this because they just watch gifs and assume the entire match is his shtick (although his shtick also proves how great he is; you have to be skilled to do all the stuff he does with no hands). But watch a full match of his and he's terrific; he had a match with David Starr last year that was one of the best matches on the indies and recently had a match with Kylie Rae that I thought was even better. I'm also pretty sure (mizfan can confirm this) that Cassidy spent many years in CHIKARA as Fire Ant, where he was a really good high flyer in that role. Throw in the fact that he has a really good look, highly charismatic and is one of the most popular performers on the indies right now and this is a no brainer. Yes he's known as a comedy wrestler, but he's super talented all around and there are many ways AEW can use him.

We'll have to wait and see how it goes over. So far, from what I can tell, the comedy stuff hasnt gone over well. Even the Bucks seemed to acknowledge it with sarcasm on Being the Elite.

Ive seen Fire Aunt and liked him in that environment, but it goes with the effect Chikara is giving.

I didnt enjoy the match with Kylie and Cassidy that I saw. To me there's no simulation that either are trying to win anything.

That's not to say he's not athletic , but the indications Ive seen so far is that this kind of stuff isnt going over well in AEW. I, personally, dont find it funny and dont like seeing a guy making the fact that wrestling is not truly competitive so obvious with his style. But I'm one fan.

We'll see how he goes.

His appearance in the battle royal was well received by the crowd the last time he was on an AEW show. I think the comedy that AEW has done (the librarian shit) is flat out bad and thats why its not gotten over. Not saying you have to like Cassidy but im more on Cult’s side of thinking here.

Wont rant about this and I get people like different styles but i dont think any company should put themselves in a style box. If you’re seeing the same thing over and over it all starts to blend together. I also don’t think AEW is strictly going for a serious classic ROH style anyway. They have goofballs in The Bucks and Omega who have vastly different tastes than Cody Rhodes and honestly those style clashes really appeal to me

There's always going to be a place for comedy on wrestling TV in the mid-cards. No one is going to expect Cassidy be a contender to the AEW Championship, or at least I hope.

I keep seeing people saying that he's actually a really solid wrestler beyond his lackadaisical gimmick. Outside of a few glimpses in his matches where he just goes off, I haven't seen that side of him. If that's the case, he'll be a nice addition because he'll be able to straddle the line between his current shtick - which is entertaining as hell - and having solid matches with the talent that they have.

Really solid is underselling it; he can be a legitimately GREAT wrestler. For one the dude was trained by Quack (all time great trainer), Chris Hero (ditto) and Skayde, one of the most underrated luchadores and trainers to come from Mexico. You cannot be anything less than good with those guys teaching you. And then there's the work. That match he had with David Starr for Beyond Wrestling last year was a prime example of what Orange is when he's at his best, and while Button may not like it I'd argue the Kylie Rae match as well. The whole point of the gimmick is that he's so good (which again, should be easy to see given how effortlessly he pulls off all he does with his hands in his pockets) that he slacks off, and only when he's pushed does he unleash his full ability. That, just as much as the comedy, is why he's over.

But the real proof about how great he is is the Fire Ant run. I guess you can argue there's some silliness to that gimmick to given that it was in CHIKARA but for the most part he played that part straight with little comedy and was terrific as both a high flyer and a character. His tag team with Soldier Ant (who was apparently Drew Gulak, another really talented dude who does comedy well) was great and their eventual break up, feud and reconciliation at the all time great CHIKARA show Top Banana was a top tier angle, and it was all played straight too. And he did all that at a time where he was also wrestling as Orange Cassidy, on a lot of occasions pulling double duty (and this was during a time when Orange Cassidy was a more serious character).

Maybe AEW ultimately decides Orange is little more than a comedy act but to think that's all he is just kind of tells me that one knows nothing about him except from the gifs they see. He's very much like fellow AEW star Chuck Taylor; many people thought he was little more than a comedy guy for years, until he got booked in New Japan and then started having captivating, story driven classics with Zack Sabre Jr. in PWG. I'm telling you, Orange has that same potential.

Between us fellas, freshly squeezed also sounds like the refractory state of a penis just after achieving ejaculation.

"Not now, Martha, I've just been freshly squeezed, after all."

The Brain
    Strong vibes of Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe, Benny.

I'll strongly vouch for Cassidy's underlying skills as a great wrestler. I don't know if his comedy shtick works on week to week TV but if played well I could see him successfully transitioning the character to something a bit different after whatever initial shine he gets wears off. I'm a big fan of the guy so I hope he does well.

Y'all made me search Urban Dictionary for "freshly squeezed". I hate myself for doing that.

The Brain
    Oh Deg, I don't even want to know...

Oddly enough, I like Orange Cassidy. I first discovered him drunkenly watching Orange Cassidy Is Doing Something with my friends on WrestleMania weekend. In that hipster, "wrestling is fun", GCW type of environment I find that he really works.

I had a lot of fun with his stuff with Joey Ryan and trying to do flips and stuff with hands in pockets has become a fun part of training camp with my guys.

But I'm not sure how it's going to translate to an ostensibly serious product. I'm willing to give it a shot because I like the guy and as much as my boy Cornette hates him, I thought that he was played pretty properly at Double or Nothing, I mean it's not like Dreamer sold for his shitty kicks.

I'm interested to see how it works, but I'm a little concerned that he might be a bit of a travelling indy gimmick. Once you've seen him, you've seen him.

I despised that Kylie Rae match though. It looked like a high school improve skit more than a wrestling match.

The Brain
    One idea I've seen floated around is start him out doing his shtick for a few weeks/months, get the laughs as he gets beat, then do a storyline/angle where he transitions into a more serious wrestler while keeping the parts of the shtick that work.

My real concern is that eventually somebody needs to punch him in the back of the head. Like, I can buy it when I see him do his thing with TAKA or Dreamer or some guy at a local indy show because I can believe the guy's frustration and confusion at what he's seeing and dealing with when it comes to a guy he's maybe never seen wrestle before.

However, the second time he does it on an AEW TV show, you'd think that his opponent would have seen it last time and just punch him in the back of the head after a few soft shin kicks.

Like I said, I'm worried that his gimmick is a travelling indy gimmick. It's fun the first time you see it but then you've seen it.

The Brain
    Definitely can't just do the same shtick for weeks on end. But I've got faith in the guy to figure something out.

I mean, WWE has seemed to shown that their talent doesn't watch many of the weekly shows lol.. I think it will depend how and where they use him. I also have to imagine that he'll be given promo time and be able to flesh things out a bit