Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workout thread

One of the few things I miss about being in the military... mandatory fitness and the yearly classes in jui jitsu. They taught us a form of BJJ for when we were clearing rooms, and it was “too close of combat quarters”. Lower the rifle and choke a guy out instead... might need to find some classes around town.

I did nothing for ages but started running again a year ago. All the pace has gone but I'm just happy to be more active again.

Meant to say this before, thought my rolling stuff was all kinda casual but a few weeks ago the guy running the class handed me a belt, which was a nice surprise.

I'm more familiar with the karate grading system, this one has a stripe down the middle which was new to me, but I'm guessing it's just code for 'beginner'. But it's at least a sign of progress.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

You're doing jui jitsu, yeah? From what I remember, they have 5 colors of belts, but each belt has 3 or 4 "degrees" in it. The stripes mean you've passed to the next degree and you're steadily improving...

What I'm doing is kind of a hybrid (so there's also some catch wrestling and some freestyle wrestling mixed in) but my guess is the belts will be jiujitsu belts, yeah.

I've bitten the bullet and started a diet and workout regime this week. Diet is based on the Paleo diet, basically the 'caveman' diet where you eat things that not processed. So meat, fish, veg, fruit, berries, nuts and seeds are fine (in moderation of course); but pasta, crisps, biscuits, sweets and dairy are off the table. Going well so far, feel like I'm already feeling the benefits. The only struggle I can see is pasta and cheese, as they formed a large part of my diet beforehand, but it's cool to try some new recipes.

As for the workout, it's primarily a standard 2 day cardio, 4 day weight training, with 100 sit-ups every day. Each day working on two sub sets (back and triceps, biceps and core, etc). Cardio is currently three hours of badminton on Mondays and Thursdays, which I think is sufficient for now. Hoping to see some results within a month or so. Goal is losing some weight and just get a little more definition body-wise. Scales broke the 100kg mark two weeks ago so I said enough is enough! I remember when I used to be 80kg and, while that would be great, even shaving 10kg off would make me feel better.

I'll try and keep this updated, hopefully will prove to be a motivating factor!

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

How are you getting on with that?

I keep chugging away, just getting the odd session in. Don't seem to ever lose any weight, just hover around the 95kg mark. But I feel like I'm getting back to something like fitness.

Pretty good actually. Down to 96kg this weekend. Badminton is now down to once every 2 weeks due to it being the off-season and additionally I'm struggling with a little bit of a wrist issue (which close friends love to point out with the obvious joke as how that injury came about...).

Workouts are going OK, but there are days when I can't fit them in. Been a bit hectic lately in regards to social life so found it tricky. But hopefully with that behind me I can start to get back on track.

I'm also really enjoying the food. Got a routine down now pretty well and more importantly keeping at it. I am giving myself a cheat day once every two weeks (such as WM Sunday). Not a 'going crazy' cheat day, it's more of a 'can have pasta or a pizza and a bit of chocolate' cheat day.

Already down a waist size, two more and I'll be happy as larry!

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever