Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workout thread

One of the few things I miss about being in the military... mandatory fitness and the yearly classes in jui jitsu. They taught us a form of BJJ for when we were clearing rooms, and it was “too close of combat quarters”. Lower the rifle and choke a guy out instead... might need to find some classes around town.

I did nothing for ages but started running again a year ago. All the pace has gone but I'm just happy to be more active again.

Meant to say this before, thought my rolling stuff was all kinda casual but a few weeks ago the guy running the class handed me a belt, which was a nice surprise.

I'm more familiar with the karate grading system, this one has a stripe down the middle which was new to me, but I'm guessing it's just code for 'beginner'. But it's at least a sign of progress.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

You're doing jui jitsu, yeah? From what I remember, they have 5 colors of belts, but each belt has 3 or 4 "degrees" in it. The stripes mean you've passed to the next degree and you're steadily improving...

What I'm doing is kind of a hybrid (so there's also some catch wrestling and some freestyle wrestling mixed in) but my guess is the belts will be jiujitsu belts, yeah.

I've bitten the bullet and started a diet and workout regime this week. Diet is based on the Paleo diet, basically the 'caveman' diet where you eat things that not processed. So meat, fish, veg, fruit, berries, nuts and seeds are fine (in moderation of course); but pasta, crisps, biscuits, sweets and dairy are off the table. Going well so far, feel like I'm already feeling the benefits. The only struggle I can see is pasta and cheese, as they formed a large part of my diet beforehand, but it's cool to try some new recipes.

As for the workout, it's primarily a standard 2 day cardio, 4 day weight training, with 100 sit-ups every day. Each day working on two sub sets (back and triceps, biceps and core, etc). Cardio is currently three hours of badminton on Mondays and Thursdays, which I think is sufficient for now. Hoping to see some results within a month or so. Goal is losing some weight and just get a little more definition body-wise. Scales broke the 100kg mark two weeks ago so I said enough is enough! I remember when I used to be 80kg and, while that would be great, even shaving 10kg off would make me feel better.

I'll try and keep this updated, hopefully will prove to be a motivating factor!

How are you getting on with that?

I keep chugging away, just getting the odd session in. Don't seem to ever lose any weight, just hover around the 95kg mark. But I feel like I'm getting back to something like fitness.

Pretty good actually. Down to 96kg this weekend. Badminton is now down to once every 2 weeks due to it being the off-season and additionally I'm struggling with a little bit of a wrist issue (which close friends love to point out with the obvious joke as how that injury came about...).

Workouts are going OK, but there are days when I can't fit them in. Been a bit hectic lately in regards to social life so found it tricky. But hopefully with that behind me I can start to get back on track.

I'm also really enjoying the food. Got a routine down now pretty well and more importantly keeping at it. I am giving myself a cheat day once every two weeks (such as WM Sunday). Not a 'going crazy' cheat day, it's more of a 'can have pasta or a pizza and a bit of chocolate' cheat day.

Already down a waist size, two more and I'll be happy as larry!

Man, not checked in here for a while. But just did a session so hard that my muscles are trembling even as I hold the phone up....

Either that or I just le this all drift too much....

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Now I'm having visions of Prime Time being built like some Hulk Hogan type figure, complete with long horseshoe hair! It's marvellous.

Thought I'd post in here because one of the things I'm looking at doing in the next month is changing my lifestyle to be a healthier and more active one. Currently working on a (sort of) loose clean eating meal plan but also going to try and make working out a daily, or at least multiple times a week habit. DDP Yoga is always good for that, though I have had a quick look at some of those home workout things that are meant to basically murder you in short order - you know, Insanity or those T25 things or whatever. Anyone ever tried one?

I tried P90X about a decade ago. It’s along the lines of the ones you just mentioned... pop in a dvd and workout in front of the television in the comfort of your own home. I quickly realized that I’d find a thousand other things that would pop up. The kids were fighting. The dog needs to be walked. The cat is knocking shit off the counter and breaking stuff. Id remember I needed to check and respond to emails. Or I’d just look over and see the couch and think “Man... that looks really comfortable right now.” So if you’re easily distracted by things, I wouldn’t recommend the home workout. I also found that’s a psychological aspect that comes into play when I’m actually at the gym around other people doing the same thing I am... I don’t want to look like a punk and give up on the workout after only 5-10 minutes. Something about looking like a quitter in front of these strangers (that honestly aren’t even paying any attention to you and couldn’t tell if you’d been there for 10 minutes or an hour) made me push harder during the workout.

^ This is the reason I always prefer to join a club or something. It gives you a bit of structure to your week outside of work, which is never a bad thing, but more than that you get into a rhythm and you perform better when there's others around. The extra incentives are really helpful.

How's everyone else doing on this score? I'm keeping at it and it's going pretty well. Probably in the best shape I've been in for ten years or more.

Christmas, a trip to New York, a house move and (last night) my car being broken into has meant a severe lack of workouts and loads of junk food!

Here's hoping from now on, with summer on the horizon, things get better..

Shit, sorry to hear about your car, mate. That kind of thing always sucks.

Probably not much consolation at the minute, but I'm pleased that at least all of the other reasons in the post are pretty positive.

Haha yeah that's true! Will get the weekend over and start fresh on Monday (he says...)

That first step to getting back in is always the hardest. Then not bailing in the first week back is tough. Once you've got the rhythm back, I find it takes care of yourself.

Even though I don't always love doing it I find I'm a lot happier in myself when I keep active. The benefits extend well beyond being fitter.

I have to agree. A couple of years ago I ran out of time to go to the gym, so I cancelled my membership. Then over about 2 years I put on about weight. I needed to do something.

On January 2, I made a choice, to go on a strict diet, and to just walk on my treadmill. To date, in just about 3 months, I have dropped about 30-35 pounds. I fit into my clothes again, and I am back to my smaller waist size, and I feel so much better.

With my kids soccer schedules, there is no time for the gym, but I still come home and watch TV and/or movie on my treadmill while walking (I never run, unless chased) and burn anywhere from 1000-1400 calories.

Let's give the thread a social function. Exercises you can do at home with little to no equipment. Feel free to share. I've got a few if people need 'em but I'll step back for a minute in case people have some better shit they want to share.

it's not for everyone and requires some working up to and mobility, but Hindu Squats and Hindu Push-ups are both great at home exercises that require next to no space. I have a bunch of other stuff I could share, but I don't want to make this the BK workout at home thread.