Thread: Workout thread

Workout thread

Following on from the other thread, still experimenting with this catch/jujitsu hybrid I mentioned. Was there tonight. Got squashed by some experienced guys and then got a fellow newbie to tap a couple of times. Though to be frank, he's a fair bit smaller than me so it's not an entirely fair match-up. The trade off is his stamina is better than mine so I had to get very defensive at the end to avoid the same thing happening to me.

But it all continues to be quite fun on the whole.

How does everyone else try and stay in shape?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar
    Glad to hear about your jujitsu adventures, sounds like a lot of fun, I feel like it would all be a great big puzzle to just get stuck into. I would personally love to give it a go but they just cost so damn much and with a kid on the way and more or less a single income it isn't the time to be splurging.

I've been keeping up my DDP Yoga and it is working particularly with giving me greater flexibility which is something I have never really had. My goal is to be able to touch the floor when I bend over with straight legs and I'm already making progress.

Am also slowly dropping from the 90kgs I was about 3 weeks ago to my goal of 80 by the time the kid arrives, I'll probably get there before if I keep it up but I figure slow and stready wins the race.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Glad to hear about your jujitsu adventures, sounds like a lot of fun, I feel like it would all be a great big puzzle to just get stuck into. I would personally love to give it a go but they just cost so damn much and with a kid on the way and more or less a single income it isn't the time to be splurging.
    With this in mind I'd say shop around. The place I go is cheap, 5 a session (which I guess is about $8-9 to you). But I could easily go somewhere that sees itself as a bit more serious, a bit less recreational/community minded, and I could easily pay 4-5 as much.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I started on the DDP Yoga again about two weeks ago, doing it daily. I slipped this last week and almost fell off the bandwagon immediately but I'm determined to stick with it this time. Permanently!

Nice work 'Plan!

Everyday is amoitious but I guess you just have to listen to DDP at the end - "don't forget to do this tomorrow."

I've been doing it 3 mornings a week and I can tell the difference between the days I don't get up. Right now it is taking a lot of will power to get out of bed at 6am as things get colder and darker in the morning. Fortunately I don't have a choice with my cat who eats at 6am every morning (we run her on an alarm) so I have to get up then but the hard part is to resist the urge to go straight back to bed.

Does hiking up mountains count in this thread? Just yesterday, I climbed the tallest mountain in south Wales while doing a 9 mile hike. I then climbed another two. 1000m of total ascent. My legs are dead now. I had to crawl over here and climb onto my computer chair using my arms.

If you taste the pain it absolutely counts. Nice work Sheepster!

Love that dead feeling after a day out like that, a great feeling of accomplishment mixed with soreness.

I'm not great at doing stuff every day. I miss one out and then the whole thing collapses, presumably too much pressure. So I do a couple of hours more intense stuff a couple of times a week and then more moderate bits to top that off, like walking. Find it easier to keep to that kind of rhythm.

I've gotta admit I am starting to miss heavy lifts like squats and deadlifts. Not enough that I want to go back tok the gym though.

The jiu jitsu stuff is starting to click. I've been better at more of the wrestling and position and stuff to this point but last night things started to fall into place and I managed to force a tapout about three different times in the open roll at the end. Also seems I'm developing a bit of a 'style' as time goes on, rather than just having my brain turn to shit and then trying not to get caught out in whatever I'm doing.

I must say, having big shoulders is a bit of a help. People have a hard time doing their stuff to you, and it makes your own chokes more effective.

Play Rugby, gym, and when people make me, I run a bit.

Nice work PT. What kind of style have you worked out? What submission did you use to get the tap out?

I used to play rugby FTLOTF, it was one of my favourite things as a teenager but I had a few head knocks that left a little out of it and my left knee was also starting to feel a bit of wear and tear so I stopped. I've thought about starting up again a few times but never got on the field. What is your position?

As for me, my yoga took a bit of a break for the last fortnight but now I'm on holidays hopefully I'll be hitting it up more regularly (got it scheduled for each day). I'm finding some of the intimediate moves like the Can Opener, Wrap Around and Broken Aeroplace pretty difficult bu in a good way.

Style might best be called "aggressive", I think. Don't really hang around when they're in guard but try to quickly get past and into a controlling position. Also get elbows and forearms into awkward places as something else to deal with...

Guillotine choke was definitely one. That's probably my most successful to date. Also other variations of chokes such as head and arm basically, I tend to only get the armlocks and stuff in more managed scenarios. Open roll I either get a chokehold or nothing!

I move around the field a bit. Back row mainly, but played hooker and lock too. Even turned out as a centre once when we were struggling for numbers!

Where'd you play as a teen?

In school I was a lock. Not played since apart from touch rugby.

At regular old football I played most positions at some point. Most at home centre back or centre forward. Possibly the world's shittest goalkeeper.

I've actually played every position on the field at some point.

I stared out playing in a Years 5-6 comp as a small year 5 kid and got put on the wing and after doing alright just generally running fast and being small and elusive I also played backup fullback a bit. The next year because I was one of the few guys that had played I moved in closer as a running center, mostly playing inside center and I really enjoyed being closer in and found I was actually a much better defender than ball runner.

My family moved to a much stronger rugby town when I hit high school and after struggling to find my place in the backs playing in fly-half, inside & outside center my club coach threw me into flanker for the second half of a meaningless end of season match and it took me about 10 minutes to realise I had found my niche. From then on I played most of my serious matches as a loose forward mostly as a 7 on the openside but sometimes as number 8 or 6 but always as a fetcher and ruck securer. As a swimmer I was really fit so could just keep going full speed the whole match following the ball and tackling anything that moved.

Through school where we would have an amalgamation of the union and league players I ended up in the tight forwards, mostly as a hooker but sometimes as second row or prop, still very much playing as I did for my club like a loose forward but just in those positions because the league boys didn't know how to pack into a scrum.

By my final year of playing unfortunately I had stopped growing and just didn't have the size to match it in the forwards so moved to scrum-half and back to where I started as a defensive inside-center. I knew enough about the game by then to make it work and actually really enjoyed scrum half because I was still in amongst the rucks but got to do a bit of play making.

Anyway, long story to say I mostly played as a loose forward but in the process played just about everywhere.

In actual football I have always been a midfielder or defender. When I lived in Brazil I was a pretty dirty defender, coming off years of only football socially I was hopelessly outclassed but realised the Brazilians weren't used to much physicality and I could very easily put other players off as long as I kept an eye on what the ref was looking at.

Quite the journey Sam, great post. I've always quietly admired people who can cover all the different roles on the field. There are some positions I'm just not suited to, and a couple I didn't ever have the skills for, so to be able to do that and some of the 'gruntwork' I used to put in... fair play.

I certainly empathise with the dirty defender bit. I've kicked a few shins in my time!

Off to wrestling again tonight. Last time was just better people so I found it pretty tough. I can't imagine there'll be loads there with the world cup on, either.

Oh it was more than the odd kick of the shin, I was 18 and all I cared about was proving I was a hard nut there were some real hard elbows in the ribs, lots of short grabbing, the odd stomp on their feet while jostling for position, just really deplorable stuff but all done to mask my huge skill gap and insecurity about being shown up.

I imagine that doing combat sport when you are out of your depth is a pretty humbling thing.

I went on a really good bike ride yesterday. I haven't been cycling for exercise at all this year but my father was down here so I clipped in my pedals and we went for a good 40km run down a local bike track. The way back has a hill that is about a 100m climb over about 4.5km which isn't steep at all but just because it is quite long it really pushed my cardio.

Was fun to be back out on the bike, I may get out again some time.

Ha, you're dirtier than me. I had no worries about a bit of shoulder barging and using my frame - and I've probably pulled a few shirts back in my time - but I don't think stamping and elbows were really part of my game... but maybe on the Rugby field, might have given out the occasional shoeing there.

As to the combat sports thing... it's not too bad if you approach it without an ego. If you expect people who've been working at it longer to be better than you then it can be a positive to learn from them. But if you've got too high an opinion of yourself then yeah, I imagine it'd cut pretty deep pretty quick. I mean, there's not really much you can do to argue when people can defend against you with ease and can turn it around to their advantage at pretty much any time. So you'd best have a sense of humour about it or you won't last!

Off to it again tonight, all being well.

Yeah I would not play that way anymore but the teenage ego is a fragile thing and I did not like being shown up so clearly in front of the Brazilian ladies. lol

Last time I did this a guy full-on drove all the air out of me with his knee. That was an interesting experience....

I'm getting better though. People find it a lot harder to finish me off. Haven't been against a fellow newbie for a while so I imagine I'll really start to notice the difference then.