Thread: Workout thread

Workout thread

Following on from the other thread, still experimenting with this catch/jujitsu hybrid I mentioned. Was there tonight. Got squashed by some experienced guys and then got a fellow newbie to tap a couple of times. Though to be frank, he's a fair bit smaller than me so it's not an entirely fair match-up. The trade off is his stamina is better than mine so I had to get very defensive at the end to avoid the same thing happening to me.

But it all continues to be quite fun on the whole.

How does everyone else try and stay in shape?

Glad to hear about your jujitsu adventures, sounds like a lot of fun, I feel like it would all be a great big puzzle to just get stuck into. I would personally love to give it a go but they just cost so damn much and with a kid on the way and more or less a single income it isn't the time to be splurging.

I've been keeping up my DDP Yoga and it is working particularly with giving me greater flexibility which is something I have never really had. My goal is to be able to touch the floor when I bend over with straight legs and I'm already making progress.

Am also slowly dropping from the 90kgs I was about 3 weeks ago to my goal of 80 by the time the kid arrives, I'll probably get there before if I keep it up but I figure slow and stready wins the race.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Glad to hear about your jujitsu adventures, sounds like a lot of fun, I feel like it would all be a great big puzzle to just get stuck into. I would personally love to give it a go but they just cost so damn much and with a kid on the way and more or less a single income it isn't the time to be splurging.
    With this in mind I'd say shop around. The place I go is cheap, 5 a session (which I guess is about $8-9 to you). But I could easily go somewhere that sees itself as a bit more serious, a bit less recreational/community minded, and I could easily pay 4-5 as much.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I started on the DDP Yoga again about two weeks ago, doing it daily. I slipped this last week and almost fell off the bandwagon immediately but I'm determined to stick with it this time. Permanently!

Nice work 'Plan!

Everyday is amoitious but I guess you just have to listen to DDP at the end - "don't forget to do this tomorrow."

I've been doing it 3 mornings a week and I can tell the difference between the days I don't get up. Right now it is taking a lot of will power to get out of bed at 6am as things get colder and darker in the morning. Fortunately I don't have a choice with my cat who eats at 6am every morning (we run her on an alarm) so I have to get up then but the hard part is to resist the urge to go straight back to bed.

Does hiking up mountains count in this thread? Just yesterday, I climbed the tallest mountain in south Wales while doing a 9 mile hike. I then climbed another two. 1000m of total ascent. My legs are dead now. I had to crawl over here and climb onto my computer chair using my arms.

If you taste the pain it absolutely counts. Nice work Sheepster!

Love that dead feeling after a day out like that, a great feeling of accomplishment mixed with soreness.

I'm not great at doing stuff every day. I miss one out and then the whole thing collapses, presumably too much pressure. So I do a couple of hours more intense stuff a couple of times a week and then more moderate bits to top that off, like walking. Find it easier to keep to that kind of rhythm.

I've gotta admit I am starting to miss heavy lifts like squats and deadlifts. Not enough that I want to go back tok the gym though.