Thread: Chess

Chess

Hey, this bit of the board is for board games, too!

I've been trying to get better at chess lately. I'm OK, can beat poor players but basically there's a bit of a ceiling there that I've been struggling to break through, so I'm hoping to change that.

Anyway, anybody enjoy a game on here?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I love Chess but I'm completely terrible at it. My friend in high school was completely obsessed with it and taught me the more complicated stuff.

Man, chess is something of the ultimate mind game in my mind, I suck at it, have just never grasped that ability to think 4 moves ahead like the better players do.

Dude, what sort of thing do you mean by more complicated stuff?

Chess moves that are good and thinking ahead etc. I'm still very bad at it though.

Oh I wondered if you meant specific stuff. I'm trying to get better by learning some theoretical stuff about the game, specific defences and opening moves and whatnot.

I'm still probably losing more than winning though, if I'm honest.

I play everyday. An app on my phone. Each match is about 3-5 mins. I play to relieve stress/anxiety usually. I play speed matches with no back button allowed. It says the level of PC opponent is about 1250 ELO, and I run like .600 against that level of competition. I try to think 3-5 steps ahead. I have been saying if I actually read books on the game I could be pretty damn good, but I just never have motivation to read chess books when Im backlogged on Quantum Physics and mythology books lol. Chess is an amazing game. Still so relevant after all these years. Genius in its inception.

Sounds like you're better than me, Kleck. I sometimes play a computer opponent of around 1500 but it beats me literally every time. I sometimes then drop down to the lower ranked one but I beat it every time that I don't fuck up and let it escape with a draw. I prefer to push myself against the 1500 but it's a bit dispiriting. I've taken to playing more multiplayer games now, because it's a bit less ruthless than a computer!

I get what you mean about stress though. I've actually taken to watching people talk through famous games when I need to clear my head. Boring as hell if you're not into it, but there's actually something quite therapeutic about it.

Forced the 1500 elo computer to a draw and I'm so happy....

Nice work man, that is a seriously good result.

I have actually started watching Bullet Chess competitions with a friend through the Chess Network Youtube chanel. That dude can play.

Thanks Sam. Actually just played the next opponent up, around 1700 rating. It beat me, obviously, but I gave it a game and took a lot of pieces off the board. Even made it take some time to think and put it under some pressure once or twice.

Definitely think I'm getting better, slowly. I recently did a test as to my Elo which came back at 1300ish. I think that's a little bit high but it's definitely more weight to the idea I'm picking up some more nuances.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 06-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Just got suckered into a checkmate by the computer on a knight sacrifice. Not impressed!

Download the Play Magnus app. Great fun.

I'm getting better - held the computer to a fair few draws but just beat it for the first time.

Ah, I wondered if we had one of these anywhere! Has anybody been watching the World Championships? As a relative chess novice, I must admit I'm a little out of my league on the more refined points of what's going on, but it's been completely enthralling to listen to the commentary on the games to date.

Yeah, funnily enough I have. It's actually been very intriguing. I know how the rules, but am a complete novice in terms of tactics and strategy. The best I can do is somewhat understand the difference between a Sicilian defence and English Opening...

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

I didn't see as much of it in the end as I thought that I might.

But anyway came in to say my last game of 2018 saw my opponent rage-quit (resign) after I took their Queen. Will take that as a way to end the year.

Just beat someone playing online. Fairly even game but when they were taking the advantage by pressing me with the Queen I found my way behind their defence, took a bishop as they protected their rooks, took a rook in the next couple of moves, and took the final rook as they were resigning.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Just beat someone playing online. Fairly even game but when they were taking the advantage by pressing me with the Queen I found my way behind their defence, took a bishop as they protected their rooks, took a rook in the next couple of moves, and took the final rook as they were resigning.
    Such a classic rookie mistake on their part. Taking their Queen out early and driving it up the board just leaves their side of the board vulnerable, while your side still has most all of its defenses in tact, so the queen just works for a solid position.

Sounds like you've got the chess bug.

They didn't take the Queen out that early to be fair. It was quite far into the game and they had me in some trouble, but I was able to manoeuvre my way out of it and counter attack.

Yeah, I suppose I have. Been playing a bit lately.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I've always enjoyed chess, though like most here am pretty useless at it!

Oddly enough, though, just before Christmas I started playing it more on my phone through an app called Play Magnus. I thoroughly recommend it - it's the app for Magnus Carlsen, a Norwegian Grandmaster and World Champion. I think he's legit the best in the world. You can play him at any age from 5 all the way through to like 30 or some such. It's totally free, highly addictive and insanely difficult (at least for me!).

I started playing him at the earliest age available - 5 - and it took some games to beat him. I worked my way up through the ages and am currently stuck. I can't get past the current age...of 7 and a half. Lol! It's crazy challenging, infinitely frustrating and I hate and love it all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    I've always enjoyed chess, though like most here am pretty useless at it!

Oddly enough, though, just before Christmas I started playing it more on my phone through an app called Play Magnus. I thoroughly recommend it - it's the app for Magnus Carlsen, a Norwegian Grandmaster and World Champion. I think he's legit the best in the world. You can play him at any age from 5 all the way through to like 30 or some such. It's totally free, highly addictive and insanely difficult (at least for me!).

I started playing him at the earliest age available - 5 - and it took some games to beat him. I worked my way up through the ages and am currently stuck. I can't get past the current age...of 7 and a half. Lol! It's crazy challenging, infinitely frustrating and I hate and love it all at the same time.
    That sounds great. Thanks Plan, I think I'm gonna give that a try if I can find it.

I don't play it often but am pretty decent (at least I think so) when I give it a go.

Would it be too archaic to get an old school game of chess in here? 1 post per move?

You know what. Scrap that.

Just won a game I'm very pleased with - insomnia caused a loss of concentration and threw away my queen stupidly, but kept playing and forced a resignation.

Forked King and Queen with my Knight and traded it off to take the Queen, put my bishops where each one could take out a rook, so all of a sudden I'm up a rook and a couple of pawns. Played one to the end, got my queen back, and at that point they called it quits.

Chuffed with that one.

Was getting beaten a minute ago. Made a mistake which put me down a knight and was always chasing it from there. But I stuck at it as long as I still had a rook, and then they made a mistake in their end game and let me take the Queen with my king. It was only even then, but they just resigned in disgust with themselves.

I guess the lesson is, never resign.

Downloaded the Magnus app Plan recommended. Definitely not a great app, many better chess ones, but I had to see where I stood. And I keep getting my ass handed to me by 11 year old Magnus. I almost won twice. Rest of the time I get stomped on. It really is quite demoralizing lol.

Playing at a different site now that matches you up against people with comparable scores, so your stats are a bit more meaningful.

Now clear that I win 2/3 games playing as white, but only about 1/4 playing as black, so there's a real difference when I don't have the initiative. Might have to try and brush up on some tactics to correct for that.

The good thing about playing chess via computer or app is people cant cheat/forget the rules.

It's really, really sad when people cheat at chess. Whats the point? Just so you can say you won? It completely ruins it.

I don't think I've ever known anyone cheat at Chess.

Went on a losing streak that destroyed my rating. Building it back up again after some practice, now on a six match winning run.

I've known a lot of very, very sad characters.

I've worked out that I'm best at the version where you can take your time and play a move every couple of days, and worst at 'bullet' chess, where it's really about moving as quickly as possible or you get timed out. Not only am I slower than several other players but I make mistakes trying to play at that pace.

10:00 timed games are a nice compromise, I do a lot better at those.

Won a couple of games from losing positions today. Must have had a funny day a couple of days ago because I found myself chasing both games and really just working hard to keep it competitive, then had to try and find solid positions to try and counter attack. Managed to pull it out both times.

Big lesson came the other day though, when I threw one away because I felt like it was lost and rushed through a checkmate opportunity. That one has stuck with me, and reminded me of the value of sticking with a game that looks done. People make mistakes and you can often work your way back into a game.

Seems I'm the only one left on the chess kick now. No matter.

Getting better. Just won a game and went into the analysis and the computer reckoned I didn't make any mistakes. One 'inaccuracy', but nothing it wants you to take another look at as a teaching moment. I'm happy with that. When I first started doing this stuff there were 'blunders' everywhere so a clean sheet is great.

I lose more than I win at the shorter forms but the long winded version where you might play a move every couple of days, I'm running at winning 77% of my games so far.

My last 10 games....

W L W L W L W L W L

You've got to give me one thing, I'm consistent.

Another update just on the off chance I'm not only talking to myself. Been on a good-ish run lately, won 22 out of my last 30 games (with one draw).

Nice Prime! I actually still play mostly speed matches on my phone (3-5 minutes per game) daily. It's a good time killer in moments. I stopped playing the Magnus app, as I could beat 11 year old Magnus, but 12 year old Magnus absolutely owns me. It is kind of demoralizing lol.

Entered a tournament where I'm the lowest rated player in the group, so have lost a bunch of games since. But did manage to win one, and there's a few other games where I can maybe pick something up.

Entered another tournament and having a flying start. Top of the group stage with 5 wins. There's 22 games in total in this round so a long way to go, but it's probably my best start and chance of moving on.

My rating is getting better with these wins (in my last 20 I'm 16-4, which probably means I'm due a run of defeats). Currently sat at 1262 in the correspondence chess. Way lower in the quick games, but this is my best format comfortably.

Just to add to the above, have made it through the first round in the last three tournaments I've entered. Decent chance of winning the group in the most recent one.