Thread: Chess

Chess

Hey, this bit of the board is for board games, too!

I've been trying to get better at chess lately. I'm OK, can beat poor players but basically there's a bit of a ceiling there that I've been struggling to break through, so I'm hoping to change that.

Anyway, anybody enjoy a game on here?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I love Chess but I'm completely terrible at it. My friend in high school was completely obsessed with it and taught me the more complicated stuff.

Man, chess is something of the ultimate mind game in my mind, I suck at it, have just never grasped that ability to think 4 moves ahead like the better players do.

Dude, what sort of thing do you mean by more complicated stuff?

Chess moves that are good and thinking ahead etc. I'm still very bad at it though.

Oh I wondered if you meant specific stuff. I'm trying to get better by learning some theoretical stuff about the game, specific defences and opening moves and whatnot.

I'm still probably losing more than winning though, if I'm honest.

I play everyday. An app on my phone. Each match is about 3-5 mins. I play to relieve stress/anxiety usually. I play speed matches with no back button allowed. It says the level of PC opponent is about 1250 ELO, and I run like .600 against that level of competition. I try to think 3-5 steps ahead. I have been saying if I actually read books on the game I could be pretty damn good, but I just never have motivation to read chess books when Im backlogged on Quantum Physics and mythology books lol. Chess is an amazing game. Still so relevant after all these years. Genius in its inception.

Sounds like you're better than me, Kleck. I sometimes play a computer opponent of around 1500 but it beats me literally every time. I sometimes then drop down to the lower ranked one but I beat it every time that I don't fuck up and let it escape with a draw. I prefer to push myself against the 1500 but it's a bit dispiriting. I've taken to playing more multiplayer games now, because it's a bit less ruthless than a computer!

I get what you mean about stress though. I've actually taken to watching people talk through famous games when I need to clear my head. Boring as hell if you're not into it, but there's actually something quite therapeutic about it.

Forced the 1500 elo computer to a draw and I'm so happy....

Nice work man, that is a seriously good result.

I have actually started watching Bullet Chess competitions with a friend through the Chess Network Youtube chanel. That dude can play.

Thanks Sam. Actually just played the next opponent up, around 1700 rating. It beat me, obviously, but I gave it a game and took a lot of pieces off the board. Even made it take some time to think and put it under some pressure once or twice.

Definitely think I'm getting better, slowly. I recently did a test as to my Elo which came back at 1300ish. I think that's a little bit high but it's definitely more weight to the idea I'm picking up some more nuances.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 4 Days Ago at 02:16 PM.