Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Gate

Natural Vibes

Dragon Gate

It's just gotta be me who starts this thread, y'know? Talk about Dragon Gate here! Past, present, future, stables, wrestlers, matches, discuss it all in this thread!

So, Dead or Alive just happened and we're in the middle of King of Gate now! Plus, I dunno if anyone else heard, but there was that HUGE announcement of DG kinda, splitting and becoming two things? There's Dragon Gate, Inc and Dragon Gate Entertainment, Inc, with the former being the new foreign side of it (helmed by CIMA of all people and currently operating out of China) and the latter being the standard domestic company. Fucking nuts news.

The Brain
    Started watching DOA tonight, excited to cover it on the next TGR!

That split is bananas, I don't even know what to do with that news. Is CIMA still working the regular shows then? Is DG gonna try to branch into the US again?

That split does sound intriguing, is there any more info on that yet?

I hear Shingo Takagi is straight back into the mix following his Champion Carnival exploits?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Natural Vibes
    So, the major details on the split are that it's based in Shanghai, with CIMA at the helm and T-Hawk, El Lindaman, and Takehiro Yamamura as DG's worker representatives there. Those guys will be focusing primarily on the foreign work, though they'll occasionally make appearances in Japan for the company proper. Who knows how long this will go on for, what other guys may eventually be appearing, what kind of talent exchange there will be, etc. No indication on that yet.

And yeah, Shingo's back in, big time! After the DoA cage match, he promo'd saying he's taking the reigns of ANTIAS after giving them to the younger boys in Eita, T-Hawk, and El Lindaman. He's taking shit seriously again, so it looks like his mini-excursion for the Carnival was just that and nothing more. Which is great; with this split happening, not only does DG need Shingo, but ANTIAS does as well with losing two of their guys to China.

The Brain
    That split actually works for me even better than I thought, because while I like all those guys you mentioned, I don't love any of them so more room for the guys I like best.

Definitely expected Shingo to be fully back into DG, he's had excursions before but they never last that long. Cool that he can do them but he's a DG talent at heart. I'm interested if Shingo and Eita end up in a power struggle for the leadership of ANTIAS, it'd be an interesting mirror of YAMATO getting the boot after the last big heel stable reshuffle and going back to being a major face.

I said this on GTR as well, but my current dream scenario is Eita wins King of Gate and takes the title from Mochizuki, then down the line (when is Kobe World?), he drops it to Kzy. That guy is PURE MONEY at this point and should get a major reign to solidify him as a top player.

Natural Vibes
    Looks like we're setting up for an ANTIAS/Over Generation losing unit disbands match sometime in the near future. Eita keeps demanding OG break up while Kaito Ishida keeps fighting against him, demanding ANTIAS break up.

Honestly, both should break up or, something. OG is down to Ishida, Dragon Kid, Gamma, and Mondai Ryu, while ANTIAS is just Eita, Shingo, Takashi Yoshida, and Yasushi Kanda. Both groups might need to break up or like, absorb several members from somewhere. Kinda leaning OG break-up, maybe by Mondai Ryu betrayal? Maybe then they grab like, Hyou Watanabe? I have no idea.

The Brain
    Bold words from Kaito Ishida! Especially given that I barely recognize the name, haha. Did not think he was really in a position to go head to head with the top heel in the promotion!

Yes, bring Mondai Ryu back to the heel side! He's completely wasted as a good guy. Totally agree that OG is the side that's looking for a break up, ANTIAS is still fairly new and I think they just need a little new (or perhaps old) blood.

Natural Vibes
    Alright so we're at the end of King of Gate! Our four block winners are YAMATO, Takashi Yoshida, Naruki Doi, and Masato Yoshino. Really feel it's going to YAMATO or Doi this year, with a slight lean towards Doi. We've seen a few YAMATO/Mochizuki Dream Gate bouts so I feel another one would be too soon, plus Doi's been killing it the last few years, especially since the MaxiMuM formation.

The Brain
    Noo, my plan for Eita is ruined! Are they ever gonna pull the trigger on this guy?? Doi's been great but I dunno if the direction feels very fresh. I'm sure the matches will be good though, no matter who wins. I'm pulling hard for Yoshida, as you might have guessed!!

Natural Vibes
    I honestly don't know about Eita. Love him to death as a wrestler and I think he's one of the most exciting young talents on the planet, but I've seen reports and stuff that he's kinda lazy and lethargic and doesn't seem to take wrestling or his career like, super-seriously. So it seems like until he gets the motivation in gear, DG might not be pushing him as hard as he could be. Which sucks; the dude is talented and I think vastly superior to T-Hawk, who they wanted badly to succeed, and with T-Hawk in China now, this would be the ideal time to solidify Eita as the young superstar of the future. But alas. Feels like they're focus is changing to Shun Skywalker, Ben-K, Big R Shimizu, and maybe Yosuke Santa Maria instead.

The Brain
    I never know what to think about reports like that. It certainly doesn't come through in the ring, you know? So what's the behavior they're speaking against, I wonder? Did he take a nap in the lunch room? Does he show up late to every show or something? I'm not saying it's not true, I just wish we had more details about that.

So, who then unseats Mochizuki, if not Eita? I'm shocked his title reign has gone on this long at this point, even though he's been doing a good job. I feel somebody has got to knock him down soon, and Doi doesn't feel like the guy.

I'm no expert in all this, as you know. The one match I've heard people making a fuss about this year is Kzy vs. Masaaki Mochizuki from February. Thoughts?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I thought it was great, and Jeff liked it even more than I did. Kzy is potentially a big breakout star, as we've talked about he should definitely be holding the top title within a year. I thought he looked even better, if that's possible, in the Triangle Gate match at Dead or Alive.

Natural Vibes
    Kzy vs. Mochizuki is a genuine MoTYC on its own, but it was elevated for me due to following Kzy's career for a while. Just seeing his growth from "the lowest ranked member in basically every stable for a LONG stretch of time" to "legitimate Dream Gate contender and all-around tremendous wrestler" is just, incredible. That's what put it over the top for me, knowing just how far Kzy has come. Plus, I thought the psychology ruled, I bought in to all the big spots in the match, and I thought the finish was really strong. It's competing against several WALTER/Ilja Dragunov matches for my outright Match of the Year right now.

Also, absolutely check out the MaxiMum/Natural Vibes Triangle Gate match from Dead or Alive, as that's quite excellent, too. If Kzy wasn't made a star in his Mochizuki match, he absolutely was here. Fantastic stuff.

The Brain
    Didn't realize until Deg mentioned it in another thread, but Mochizuki dropped the top title to Masato Yoshino just recently. I really like Yoshino but this is kind of a weird switch to me. I haven't seen any special build for Yoshino recently, besides obviously winning the tournament. I guess I built it up too much in my head that Mochizuki would drop it to someone younger and fresher. This is the same way I felt last time Yoshino won the title too, so not sure where they're going with it.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    PWG announced the participants for this year's Battle of Los Angeles, and Dragon Gate will have three representatives: CIMA, T-Hawk and Shingo Takagi. That's pretty awesome to have those guys in the U.S. and participating in the tournament, very much deserved. Takagi has been all over the place. Looking forward to seeing what matches they're put in. There has to be at least one six-man tag involving those three.

The Brain
    I'm very psyched about that! PWG used to have DG guys in but I feel like it's been ages. Just for the chance to see these guys match up with the latest crop of top guys alone will be seriously awesome.

Yeah, I think I saw that the last time BOLA had any Dragon Gate guys was in 2007 (interestingly enough, CIMA and Takagi were participants, and here we are again 11 years later). Having arguably the top independent wrestling company in the U.S. bring them in feels like great news for Dragon Gate itself.

The Brain
    Haha, that's no coincidence, guys who make it to the top in Dragon Gate tend to stay there for a looooooong time. But yeah, super cool that they can come. I remember when they were all over the states, they even had Dragon Gate USA as WWN's top promotion for a while. I'd love to see more of that feeling come back.

Natural Vibes
    So, uh, big show happened today with the ANTIAS vs. Over Generation Losing Unit Disbands match.

Firstly, ANTIAS won, forcing OG to disband. No big betrayals or anything. Came down to Eita and Dragon Kid, Eita ended up superkicking DK a bunch at the end to pin him. Seems to set up a Eita/DK Brave Gate match at Kobe World, as well.

But the somehow even bigger thing comes after the match, when Shingo calls out Natural Vibes demanding a Triangle Gate match. But with him fighting for the Dream Gate and Eita going after the Brave Gate, that leaves them with two members for a team, as a confused Kzy rightfully points out. So Shingo brings out the third member of the team and newest member of ANTIAS.

Fuckin' Masato Tanaka.

So it'll be Tanaka, Yoshida, and Kanda teaming at Kobe World against Kzy, Susumu, and Horiguchi. Wild times!

The Brain
    Ohhhh shit, that sounds amazing!! Over Generation disbanding is fine, they kind of barely existed anyway (correct me if I'm wrong), but bringing in Tanaka to complete that trio is awesome. Tanaka and Yoshida in the same match, and with Kzy on the other side no less... this is gonna rock!

I haven't been following Dragon Gate much lately (there's too much good wrestling happening everywhere to keep up with everything!). What's the latest with the whole CIMA / T-Hawk / Lindaman situation? When they headed to China it seemed like it was going to be a temporary talent exchange or something among those lines, but now I'm reading that they basically abandoned DG, taking a few other guys who have appeared in DG before (Zachary Wentz and Dezmond Xavier). They've also been making appearances at Wrestle-1 shows. This sounds like it should be a much bigger deal than it is, no? Especially for CIMA, since he's been one of the main faces of Dragon Gate for so many years.

On some good news for DG, I did see that Willie Mack is on tour with DG now, beginning last night in their show in Kyoto. That's awesome. I haven't seen all of his Lucha Underground work but the little I did see, he was amazing. I've been a big fan ever since I saw him at a Bay Area indy show a few years ago (where he announced he was heading to NXT, before apparently failing his physical and getting his contract revoked). I hope he does great things during his time here.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 08-04-2018 at 11:09 PM.

The Brain
    Shit, that is kind of a big deal if CIMA is actually not working with DG anymore. I feel like I would have heard if that was the case but it's so easy to miss wrestling news, especially from places outside the biggest companies. Willie Mack being in DG is phenomenal though, he's going to be an AWESOME fit and I hope they bring him in as much as possible. Nuts to me that he's not used more widely than he is, he's such a great talent.

I agree, I feel like CIMA leaving Dragon Gate would have been huge news. I've been trying to dig up what the Wrestle-1 website says and based on what I understand it looks like an invasion-type angle between Wrestle-1 and the CIMA-led group called Strong Hearts consisting of CIMA, T-Hawk, El Lindaman, Zachary Wentz, Dezmond Xavier and one of their guys from the China-based promotion they were working on. So it's all pretty confusing to me, which is why I asked if anyone had more news on it. On the surface it sounds like an angle but who knows.

The Brain
    I will ask our resident DG expert!

It's weird that after all this time there really hasn't been any clear news on what happened with that split. A quick glance at the Twitter accounts for the guys who left seem to be a definite split because there's no long any Dragon Gate mentions in their bios or their recent messages. I'm super-curious about it.

To add to that, Shingo Takagi just announced that he's going to become a freelance wrestler after this month. Although I'm sure he'll make plenty of DG appearances that has to be a heavy blow to Dragon Gate to lose him as one of their main guys. As a fan, though, I'm psyched to see the possibilities of him doing more All Japan shows or even showing up on a couple of New Japan tours.

The Brain
    A couple years back, a lot of the guys who had been in CHIKARA for 15+ years started moving on to other things. It was a tough transition but overall I think it brought some new value to the company as they replenished the roster and started developing new guys. I love DG but I do feel at times it's too cluttered at the top with guys who have been there for ages. Hopefully this is good for them as well in the end, it's not like they don't have some seriously great younger guys to highlight.

That makes sense, especially in relation to a lot of the young talent. Every time I check how old someone is on their roster I'm always surprised to see so many people in their 20s. Even the guys who have been there forever are relatively young. Like Yamato is still just 36 and BxB Hulk is 38 - I thought they were well in their 40s by now. It's a good mix of experience there.

They also still have access to a lot of solid foreign talent that fits right in their wheelhouse, like Willie Mack right now who seems to be doing awesome in this current tour from what I've seen. I also saw that Flamita and Bandido will be returning to Dragon Gate starting with the Gate of Destiny show in November. Access to talent like that will definitely help plug any holes left by people leaving.

The Brain
    So I did talk to Jeff a bit more about the CIMA split and it sounds like CIMA at least, specifically, is on the outs with DG, with the other guys he took being a question mark at the moment as to whether they'll be coming back at some point. Still not sure what happened exactly but very strange scenario.

Jeff also shared that ANTIAS will be changing it's name (again) since Shingo is leaving and they've gained some new members. Seems like the stable just formed but I guess it's different enough to warrant a shakeup. DG sure does love making up new stable names!

Last and definitely not least, a lot of strong hints that someone from DG's past will be returning soon. Obviously the name people are most excited about is PAC, but I've also heard Rich Swann and Shoji Kondo as possibilities.

I remember people being upset when Kazma Sakamoto was introduced as the surprise for a show a few weeks ago. Then PAC happened. How things change in an instant!

Looks like Dragon Gate got the shot in the arm they needed after a couple of down months, maybe a down year in general. It seems like PAC is going to be around at least until October 21st, so we'll see where this leads for him and if he sticks around for a while. I'm surprised they haven't announced him for Gate of Destiny since it's just a month away.

Dragon Gate needs a pretty strong card for that show, in my option. The only match announced so far is Masato Yoshino versus Ben-K for the Open The Dream Gate Championship. I'm nowhere near a DG die-hard fan or anything, but that doesn't scream like a main event caliber match for a show of that magnitude. Granted, I haven't been watching for a while so I don't know how Yoshino is doing in this reign as champ or how Ben-K has come along. Hopefully they can round out the rest of the card with some solid bouts to get that venue filled up.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 10-04-2018 at 01:49 AM.

The Brain
    I was surprised to find out that DG attendance has suffered with CIMA gone. I don't think it ever registered to me how key he was to the promotion, especially since he hasn't been the main focal point in recent years, but his loss is apparently really being felt. Hope that fence can be mended, as it'd be a big shame for there to be a divide between them and the door not being open to CIMA making appearances. I guess he also spiked attendance in Wrestle 1 and possibly elsewhere as well. Who know?

But yeah, PAC coming in is awesome, and I expect DG wouldn't have put him in the position he's in if he's only going to be around for a few weeks. Could be wrong of course but I hope he keeps working DG part time, it's always great when guys go back to the places that booked them when nobody knew their name, and it's not like DG is small potatoes either.

Just for my opinion, Ben-K is going to be HUGE over time, but yeah I don't know if he's in a position to draw against Yoshino yet. I bet the match will totally rule though, I really do think Ben-K is someone special who is gonna help DG a lot in the long run.

I don't know anything about DG really. Do they have an endgame, to compete with NJPW at that level, or are they just doing their thing and not worrying about any one else?

I've only been following Dragon Gate on and off for the past two years, so I'm unsure if my thoughts are correct on the subject. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more.

Right now there really isn't any Japanese company that's in a position to compete with New Japan at this time. Dragon Gate is pretty much in second or third place (alongside DDT, not sure who has the bigger numbers at this point) and they do pretty well for themselves for the most part. I'm sure they would love to grow and be a direct competitor, business-wise, to New Japan. But they also have their own niche (like DDT has theirs) and are good at with that style. So my guess is that they'll continue to do their thing and not look to grow even more because it's really tough right now. Pro wrestling isn't nearly as popular as it once was here in Japan.

This year Dragon Gate has taken a few hits with key people leaving, which has kinda held them back. CIMA, who had been with DG since they formed in 2004, abruptly left and I'm still not sure why. He took a few young talent with him as well (T-Hawk and El Lindaman). And new Los Ingobernables de Japon member Shingo Takagi also left the company as a full-time performer just a few days prior to his NJPW debut, although it seems like he'll still work with them in a freelance capacity. That being said, their current roster is still very solid, and they bring in some pretty great people in from time to time. Ricochet had one last run with them before going to NXT, Willie Mack from Lucha Underground had a recent successful tour here, and now PAC is back in the mix.

This year was kind of a transitional year for Dragon Gate from my perspective, but they can continue to cultivate what they have and hopefully get more eyes on their product because they really have a great product.

The Brain
    Yeah, I don't think DG is looking to necessarily compete with New Japan. Typically Japanese promotions just try to do as well as they can and DG has been strong in that 2nd tier spot for a long time. CIMA leaving them definitely hurt, more than expected even I'd say, but I don't think they'll have too much trouble long term. It's a very fun company and I actually prefer it to New Japan personally, if you've never seen it it's worth a look.

The Gate of Destiny card is starting to take shape and it looks pretty good:

- Masato Yoshino vs. Ben-K for the Open The Dream Gate Championship
    - Dragon Kid vs. Bandido for the Open The Brave Gate Championship
    - BxB Hulk & YAMATO vs. Big R Shimizu & Takashi Yoshida for the Open The Twin Gate Championship
    - Three-way elimination match between Natural Vibes (Kzy, Genki Horiguchi & Susumu Yokosuka), MaxiMuM (Kaito Ishida, Jason Lee & Naruki Doi), and Mochizuki Dojo (Masaaki Mochizuki, Shun Skywalker & Yuki Yoshioka) for the Open The Triangle Gate Championship
    - PAC vs. Flamita

The title matches should be solid, and we finally get a singles match with PAC which should be a spectacle.

The Brain
    Holy crap, that card actually looks amazing!! It might be too early but I would not complain one bit if Ben K won the Dream Gate title, I think he's an exceptionally special talent and he's gonna take the world by storm. Bandido/DK should be awesome, and that's even an all star Twin Gate title match. The Kzy/Genki/Susumu trio has been really awesome too. And WOW, PAC vs. Flamita should tear the house down! I know people are high on Bandido because he got booked for All In, but for my money Flamita is even better. So yeah, that should be awesome. DG looking good.

So Dragon Gate has a streaming service now? Worth checking out??

Yep, they launched a streaming service earlier this year and can be found at https://dragongate.live/. I'm not subscribed to it but from all accounts it's the best way to stay up to date with Dragon Gate here in Japan and the service works well. If you like the promotion or are interested in following them, it's worth checking them out.

I'd like to subscribe to the service sometime down the road, but my main gripe right now is that they have two pricing tiers which makes an unnecessary barrier, in my opinion. The main tier is more expensive than just about every other wrestling streaming service out there (1500 Yen a month, or about $13.40 at today's exchange rate), but it's the one that contains live streaming and quick turnaround for on-demand videos of the live events. The other tier is 999 Yen per month (about $8.92) but doesn't have live streaming and I think they make those events available at a much later date.

I really dislike that they did it this way, just because it pretty much forces people to pay for the pricier tier if you want to be relatively up to date and have more content, and it's already more expensive than everyone else. If it had been priced at 999 Yen for everything including live streams I don't think it would be an issue with me and I would have subscribed already. But when you have companies like the WWE and New Japan charging less for a lot more, it's a tough pill to swallow.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:06 PM.

The Brain
    The DG service is cool but not the best I've seen. For big events they seem to post the live version for a short period, then take it down for a long time, I guess to make sure they have the final cut or something? I had to wait a long time to watch Kobe World, for example. But when stuff does go up it's good quality and it's not too expensive, plus they've got some very good older stuff on there. Worth checking out for a DG fan but if you're just casual/curious I recommend surfing around youtube or other such places for a bit first to see if you like it or not.

Gate of Destiny passed by, and from all accounts it was a solid show. I've caught a few matches that I was interested in or had some hype behind it.

Surprisingly, the match that most people seemed to not be happy with was PAC vs. Flamita. I saw the match and I thought it was good but on the other hand I think everyone had extremely high expectations for this match and it wasn't what many (myself included) were expecting. I think that if most people didn't hype this match up as much as we all did, it would have been well-received. I still think the high expectations were warranted, being PAC's first singles match in a long, long time, and on one of Dragon Gate's major shows of the year.

Dragon Kid vs. Bandido was a good, solid Dragon Gate type of match. I enjoyed it. The Twin Gate title match was also enjoyable.

The Triangle Gate title match was just all sorts of awesome. I dug that a lot more than I thought, since I always think these matches will devolve into unstructured chaos. I would really recommend that match

I haven't watched anything else but have heard very good things about Yoshino vs. Ben-K main event for the Dream Gate championship. I'll be seeking that one soon to see for myself.

In other news out of this week's follow-up show in Korakuen Hall, PAC challenged Yoshino to a Dream Gate title match, which he accepted. That'll be coming up in December. Should be a good one, but I'll temper my expectations this time around.