Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G1 Climax 2019

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar

G1 Climax 2019

The participants of this year's G1 Climax tournament have been officially announced!

A Block

- Kazuchika Okada
    - Zack Sabre Jr.
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi
    - Kota Ibushi
    - EVIL
    - SANADA
    - Bad Luck Fale
    - Lance Archer
    - Will Ospreay
    - KENTA

B Block

- Tetsuya Naito
    - Tomohiro Ishii
    - Juice Robinson
    - Toru Yano
    - Hirooki Goto
    - Jay White
    - Jeff Cobb
    - Shingo Takagi
    - Taichi
    - Jon Moxley

EDIT: The match schedule has been released:

July 6 (Dallas, Texas)

- Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer
    - EVIL vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - SANADA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - Kota Ibushi vs. KENTA
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada

July 13

- Juice Robinson vs. Shingo Takagi
    - Toru Yano vs. Tetsuya Naito
    - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Jay White
    - Jon Moxley vs. Taichi

July 14

- Will Ospreay vs. SANADA
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - Kota Ibushi vs. EVIL
    - Lance Archer vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KENTA

July 15

- Toru Yano vs. Shingo Takagi
    - Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto
    - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jay White
    - Jeff Cobb vs. Jon Moxley
    - Tetsuya Naito vs. Taichi

July 18

- KENTA vs. Lance Archer
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - EVIL vs. SANADA
    - Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay

July 19

- Juice Robinson vs. Jeff Cobb
    - Toru Yano vs. Jay White
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito
    - Shingo Takagi vs. Taichi
    - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jon Moxley

July 20

- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Lance Archer
    - Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA
    - KENTA vs. EVIL
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay

July 24

- Juice Robinson vs. Toru Yano
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Taichi
    - Jeff Cobb vs. Jay White
    - Jon Moxley vs. Shingo Takagi
    - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

July 27

- Kota Ibushi vs. Lance Archer
    - Will Ospreay vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - EVIL vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. KENTA

July 28

- Juice Robinson vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    - Jeff Cobb vs. Taichi
    - Shingo Takagi vs. Jay White
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Toru Yano
    - Tetsuya Naito vs. Jon Moxley

July 30

- Kota Ibushi vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. Lance Archer
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. EVIL
    - Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - KENTA vs. SANADA

August 1

- Jeff Cobb vs. Shingo Takagi
    - Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito
    - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hirooki Goto
    - Toru Yano vs. Jon Moxley
    - Taichi vs. Jay White

August 3

- KENTA vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Lance Archer
    - Will Ospreay vs. EVIL
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

August 4

- Tomohiro Ishii vs. Toru Yano
    - Juice Robinson vs. Taichi
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb
    - Jon Moxley vs. Jay White
    - Tetsuya Naito vs. Shingo Takagi

August 7

- SANADA vs. Lance Archer
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - Will Ospreay vs. KENTA
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

August 8

- Jeff Cobb vs. Tetsuya Naito
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Jon Moxley
    - Juice Robinson vs. Jay White
    - Toru Yano vs. Taichi
    - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi

August 10

- KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    - EVIL vs. Lance Archer
    - SANADA vs. Bad Luck Fale
    - Will Ospreay vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
    - Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi

August 11

- Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi
    - Hirooki Goto vs. Shingo Takagi
    - Toru Yano vs. Jeff Cobb
    - Juice Robinson vs. Jon Moxley
    - Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay White

August 12

- Finals: A Block Winner vs. B Block Winner
    Last edited by Degenerate; 06-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Nice to see Jeff Cobb in it. Would rather Davey Boy Smith Jr than Lance Archer. My only quibble

The latest rumor is that Davey Boy Smith Jr. is no longer working with New Japan. Sounds like he was unhappy with how things were going there with him.

I really like that there are so many new participants this year (6 out of 20) so it's going to feel pretty fresh.

Read some people unhappy that Suzuki isn’t in the G1 this year but I don’t really have an issue with that. They can save the Mox/ Suzuki match for later as well as anything else for more meaningful time than just block action

Thinking Ibushi/Jay White for the Finals

The Brain
    Really hope they don't go with White to the finals, just cannot get into the guy to save my life.

Block B is looking particularly stacked!

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Read some people unhappy that Suzuki isn’t in the G1 this year but I don’t really have an issue with that. They can save the Mox/ Suzuki match for later as well as anything else for more meaningful time than just block action

Thinking Ibushi/Jay White for the Finals
    Not buying a Naito/Okada matchup for the two-day Wrestle Kingdom? Not that I would mind them going a less obvious direction.

Block A has the pretty names and you could look at Block B as somewhat lacking in star power but boy does it make up for it in potential levels of violence.

I love how they made the hard choices with the lineup and got rid of some of the guys that were really past their prime or just hanging around not doing a lot, it really feels like every match up is must see.

Suzuki is a rough one and I don't think he fits either of those categories but I guess we can't have everything.

Based on the final night for B block it looks likely that Naito and White will be fighting for one spot in the finals. A block could go a few different ways with Okada/Ibushi, Tanahashi/Ospreay (and to a lesser extent Sabre/KENTA).

The complete match schedule for the tournament was announced today. I updated the first post of this thread with the info. Good matches every single day, and they'll be having the Okada vs. Tanahashi match for the first time in the U.S., which was smart to do.

I'll be at the August 3rd show and it should be a good one. I would have liked to go to the August 4th show instead, because I'm admittedly super-spoiled since I've already seen the top two matches in person before (Tanahashi vs. Ibushi at Power Struggle 2017, Okada vs. SANADA at New Beginning in Osaka 2018).

I think I may actually end up watching nearly every show. There are just so many matches I'm keen to see up and down the card on every day. I'd be better off listing the matches I'm not excited for than the ones I am excited for.

Question though for a bit of a newb, is there a way they can book it to keep the suspense to the final match but not make it so obvious that the two guys facing off are fighting for a position in the finals or is it usually the final match of each block that determines it like last year?

Thanks for posting the schedule Degen.

Last year they kept several wrestlers in contention all the way up to the last couple days for each block, and most of the people on the forum were off on their predictions for one or both finalists. I can't speak for any year before that myself.

I feel like it's quite common for them to have a final day where the block is dependent on 2/3 match results - so, for example, in Block A this year you may have a situation where the final day is between Okada, Ibushi, and Tanahashi - one will be in the driving seat with the other two needing a win and results going their way. Say Okada/Tanahashi draw their bout, you might have a situation where those two are a point behind Ibushi and need wins, while Ibushi might need a win if Tanahashi beats Ospreay.

I honestly have no idea how they work this all out from a booking stand point, it seems super complex to me to work out just a block winner that has something to play for on the final day, let alone run the subplots that they do.

Agreee with Sam that Block B, on paper, looks less exciting with only Naito and White seeming to be possible winners, while Block A has more variety and potential for upsets along the way to the finale. But Block B will have Ishii vs Moxley, so whatever.

Yeah I remember that but from memory ultimately it ended up all coming down to either of the competitors in the final match of each block.

I guess they could do it that one can win but the other can block them from going through which would be an interesting dynamic if you factor long term rivalries into it and lord knows there are some of those in Block A.

I think it’s interesting in the sense that there’s two Tokyo dome shows in consecutive days and how that effects the G1. Obviously the G1 winner gets the title shot but I wonder if they will set other big matches up for the other dome show by wins in the G1 or if they just wait til KOPW

As already mentioned, the end of the block finals is usually dependent on the last two matches of each night. I'm not sure if the order of the matches will be the same as I copied and pasted in the match schedule, but assuming it is that means the top 4 contenders for each block are:

- Block A: Ospreay, Tanahashi, Okada, and Ibushi
    - Block B: Juice, Moxley, Naito, and White

Based on those, my predictions would be Ibushi wins the Block A, and Jay White wins Block B, with Ibushi winning the whole tournament.

I'm also curious about how the two days of Wrestle Kingdom will play out. I'm sure it'll be like how they do the New Beginning or Destruction shows, with the Intercontinental title headlining one show and the Heavyweight title headlining the other. That means that they'll have to make two strong main events if they want to get enough people in the Tokyo Dome two consecutive nights. I often wonder if they're risking watering down the show too much by splitting it in two, or if they won't get enough people for either event. But that's a topic for the NJPW general discussion thread, I suppose.

So would you then have Ibushi/Okada at Kingdom, Degen?

I'd pegged that for Naito/Okada with Naito finally 'winning the big one' - not that he hasn't been champion before, but Okada at the Dome seems to be his white whale after WK8 and WK12.

The two day WK is really throwing me a loop, I must say. There's a big part of me that expects them to go with something tried and trusted to headline one of the days with a bang, and out of the contenders your only options, on paper, are Okada/Naito or Okada/Tanahashi. Otherwise they're kind of trying to sell the whole thing on a new star challenging Okada. White could maybe be pegged for the spot, and has a little prestige behind him, but I don't see him as the guy you put at the top of your biggest ever/most important Dome show. I'd love to see Juice or Moxley get the shot, but the former doesn't feel like a contender right now and the latter has only just debuted in NJPW. Ospreay is a bit of a wildcard, and having moved to Japan is presumably sticking around for the foreseeable future - but can he get people in the building for a heavyweight title match?

Ibushi at least has the fan support - and it's a match that feels fresh too. It could be great. But (another question) do you buy him winning the title?

I can buy Ibushi as champion. I am a relative newcomer but he has the star power and fan support in spades, this series with Naito has really put him on that tip top level as well.

I would love to see Moxley make the final (of course I would) for the sheer unpredictability of it. If it was him v Ibushi that would be an incredible first time match up, would entertain a lot more doubt than White v Ibushi which I feel would be a tad more obvious and really would launch Ibushi to another level again. Moxley is a really interesting prospect because you would assume once AEW starts doing weekly TV his ability to show up will drop significantly but conversely he is their US Champion so is obviously someone they at least have decent short term plans for. Perhaps he doesn't make the finals and instead drops the US Championship to someone in the co-main event on the final night?

Having said all that for Ibushi I think I'm still on the Naito train. He is just so damn popular and the long term story just makes too much sense for them to skip over him. I wouldn't be totally outraged if they did go with Ibushi or even someone else but I do feel that it would be a missed opportunity if they go with someone else.

Yep, I'm seeing Ibushi vs. Okada in one of Wrestle Kingdom's main events. I don't know if I'd put Ibushi winning, but it wouldn't surprise me. He's insanely popular, and now that he's fully on board with the company it wouldn't surprise me that he finally wins the big one.

I'd put Naito main evening the other night of Wrestle Kingdom. Not sure against who, though. Moxley would be a decent choice by then.

The Brain
    I think Moxley in the final seems unlikely because everyone knows he's going to likely be pretty busy with AEW come October, but I'm sure he'll do well in the meantime. His matches are the ones I'm looking out for the most just because it's gonna be so very, very fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Yep, I'm seeing Ibushi vs. Okada in one of Wrestle Kingdom's main events. I don't know if I'd put Ibushi winning, but it wouldn't surprise me. He's insanely popular, and now that he's fully on board with the company it wouldn't surprise me that he finally wins the big one.

I'd put Naito main evening the other night of Wrestle Kingdom. Not sure against who, though. Moxley would be a decent choice by then.
    See, I'm not so sure on Ibushi vs Okada, especially where Naito's whole thing is that he wants to hold both titles. That's a pretty strong story to culminate one night of Wrestle Kingdom.

It would also be the ultimate vindication for Naito to win the G1 and this time be the main event of WK against Okada and win.

Can Liger's retirement main event a night? Is is big enough?

The Brain
    Wrestle Kingdom is meant to go for two nights this year, yeah? If they really want to finally go all in and crown Naito (and since he wants to hold both titles anyway), they could do a lot with Naito winning the G1 and main eventing both nights, defending his IC title and winning the world title.

Funnily enough, I had the same thought as Mizfan when I read Coach's post (Naito holding two belts) - only to scroll down and see it right there!

I'd love to see Naito headline both nights. Who's the boy most likely to challenge for the IC title? Part of me feels like that could be a Moxley role.

I love Naito as much as the next guy, but for some reason I don't see anyone main eventing two straight Tokyo Dome shows. It would be a cool, historical moment if that were to happen, for sure.

I'm still picking Ibushi to win the G1, though.

I think it would be a great idea. Would really put him up there legacy wise, he is never going to have the number of runs or time as champ of Okada or Tanahashi but it would give him his own unique spot in history.

I'm actually up to date going into it this year, wonder how long it'll last before I'm criminally behind again.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I usually watch the G1 matches the day after because the tag matches usually mean nothing and waiting up just to see G1 matches isn’t really recommended with my sleep issues.

The Brain
    I find those who watch (or try to watch) the whole G1 both admirable and disturbing, that's a hell of a time commitment!

If you’re just watching the G1 matches it’s similar in length to watching a Takeover show every day. By day 10 I’m pretty fried. Gonna try cause there’s a lot of matches I do want to see

I saw the vast majority of it last year. In the end I did have to skip some tag matches just to catch up because I was so far behind. But I did watch the tourney.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

My strategy for watching this year is going to be to watch the last 2 matches of each night, then checking online the next day to see if any of the other matches of the show is highly recommended to watch. Even then I'm sure I'll fall behind. Just too much good wrestling in such a short span.

I managed to get through the Best of Super Junior with, at most, 36 hours of delay but still got caught up before the finale. With my time zone, it's pretty much wake up early around 7am, watch wrestling, go live life. I plan on doing the same thing for the G1... Well except the last stretch, when I'll be in Toronto for SummerSlam...

My strategy with BOSJ was that I would just turn it on each night and see how it goes, if I have something else on then I catch up on anything that has buzz the next day. One of the things I love about NJPW is that the time zones actually work in my favour.

This year has so many must see matches for me so we'll see how that goes.

I certainly take my hat off to the guys that do the reports for every show.

What did everyone think of the first night of competition?

If it was anything to go by seems we are in for a hell of a tournament.

I loved the return of KENTA, as I said before I was a big fan of his work in 205 and he has kept the swagger he had there but brought it to a Japanese style. I'd be interested in what people who are more familiar with his previous work thought.

Osprey really proved his worth, made Lance Storm look like a complete badass which is exactly what he needed at the start of this tournament.

Big mention of course to Okada v Tana, at this point you have to put these two up with the absolute greatest rivalries in wrestling. Certainly for New Japan they are the most important this decade by some stretch. Incredible how they keep it up even as it appears Tana is very much slowing down.

What world are we living in where Lance Archer is having the match of the night on a show where Okada/Tanahashi is headlining?

Seriously, I'm not sure how much of that was Ospreay and how much was Archer, but if that's the benchmark Will is setting for himself this tournament this could be when he really, really breaks out in the Heavyweight division.

As far as KENTA guys, Sam, I thought he loooked a little rusty - five months 'off' will do that to a man - but otherwise everything was there to suggest he'll do well for the rest of the tournament. Give him a week or so to get back into the rhythm of it and I think he'll be peaking.

Hahahaha oops, Lance Storm would have torn it up too but point taken.

Im a noob here, and a sorta noob to NJPW, I watched 95% of last years G1 bar the tag matches and I watched most of the BOSJ this year.

But I have to say it was a very good show from top to bottom, the tag matches progressed what I can see as future storylines along or to continue making GOD the dominate tag team in the division.

I have to say I was surprised by a couple of the results, but I think the following will happen in A block, ZSJ will go to a time limit draw vs Okada causing them to go at it at the copper box for the title. Osprey big win will come vs Okada so he will challenge Okada on the first night of WK. As stated Kenta does look rusty, as shown by the poor GTO for the finish but I think he will come top3 in the block. But the winner of A will be decided on the final night, with the Okada vs Ibushi being the main event.

Hey Scream! Nice to have you around, dude.

Yeah, I can certainly see KENTA coming in top 3 on his block, no doubt - NJPW have made a big deal over him signing anyway, so it makes sense for him to have a strong showing.

Block A is super interesting, it seems like a number of names could take the top of the block. Ibushi suffering (effectively) an early set back with the loss to KENTA probably means he needs to go largely unbeaten for the rest of the block, particularly if he is to still be in contention come the final night.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Hahahaha oops, Lance Storm would have torn it up too but point taken.
    Ha, sorry Sam, wasn't meant to be aimed at you because I read your post as Lance Archer anyway! Was just adding the emphasis that this was Lance Archer, who I've basically never seen have a match of that quality.

This was the first time seeing Archer, and he did impress for me for big man. I can see it being a very low scoring block imho, I hope that Fale doesnt get too many more wins as he bores me to death tbf. Just a shame that Kenta vs Okada is not the final night match, as by that time Kenta would have got rid of his ring rust esp after having to do the tag matches on B block nights, as it would be a fitting fight for the winner of the block.

Hey Oliver, thanks.

I hope Heyman, Bischoff and someone at AEW were watching that show Saturday. That might have been the best produced show I've ever seen in the US. It was pro wrestling, but was shot and presented like a sporting event, rather than a "production".

I loved that show from start to finish and I'm glad to see NJPW putting, what, 15k in to American Airlines Center.