Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G1 Climax 2019

I'll tell you what I AM excited for - Cobb vs Ishii. Their interactions in that tag match were hot.

The entire B Block is utter violence.

Matchups between guys like Ishii, Goto, Cobb, Mox & Shingo are enough to make my own neck hurt.

The Brain
    I read actual attendance was under 5,000, which is (hopefully) more a reflection of their poor promotion of the event than a waning interest in New Japan, because they do seem to be putting on some great stuff right now.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I loved the show itself, but I was wondering why there were large swaths of visibly empty seats. The show was announced for months, and although the card wasn't announced until fairly recent I thought that it would do relatively well. A 20,000-seat arena might have been too much of a stretch. Thankfully their next shows are booked in smaller places that they should have no problem selling.

it is entirely possible that the lack of a north American star on the show was an issue. Big Omega chant apparently when he was mentioned in the video. I do think some Elite fans weren't necessarily New Japan fans. Its a more popular here than 10 years ago and probably needs no help running shows here but running 10,000 seat buildings is likely too ambitious.

The Brain
    I do think the loss of the Elite has hurt them in that respect, or more accurately the start of AEW has hurt them because traveling fans only have the funds to take so many trips to big shows per year. Whatever else you may think about them, AEW has done a good job making their big events feel like important destinations, whereas New Japan shows in the US haven't always had the same level of promotion.

I think doing G1 shows is a step in right direction. Now they have to find that buzz that AEW has and try to grab that.. I don't know how they do that. The problem for New Japan is before AEW, WWE was the only company in America worth working for if you wanted your name out there and you got paid really well. Creating that North American star won't be as easy as bringing in an AJ Styles type in. Before AEW, Moxley would be able to work NJPW American shows.

Go away for a few days, come back and I'm already several shows behind. Yep. Relentless pace!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    For those watching the tourney in real time, how's it going? Heard great things about Jay White vs. Tomohiro Ishii from yesterday. If I get a chance to check it out, maybe White will finally click for me!

Yano is such an asset to these shows. Great change of pace entertainment guy, the match against Naito especially. Archer/Ospreay was shockingly good. Moxley/Cobb was a bit odd, though the Shota gimmick alone has been worth Moxley's entry.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I've been passively watching all the matches, mostly by just having them play on my iPad while I do other work. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention but based on what I've seen there's a lot of good stuff to write down:

- Lance Archer has been doing a kick-ass job so far, and is probably the most pleasant surprise of the tournament thus far.
    - Tanahashi is still putting out stellar matches. The man is not human.
    - Guys like Ibushi, Ishii, Juice and Jay White are really putting in great work.
    - All the G1 newcomers (Ospreay, KENTA, Cobb, Takagi, Taichi and Moxley) have been doing pretty well. At times it feels like it's mostly because of the novelty of seeing them here, though.
    - It's odd to see most of the people who were picked as favorites (Naito, White, Ibushi) with no wins in the tournament so far.

The Brain
    I feel like the early G1 shows often have surprising results so they can build up the will-he won't-he make a comeback story going into the final stretch.

Yeah, I saw the Naito opening loss coming and wasn't too surprised by the second loss. Archer winning his first two caught me slightly off guard though.