The Viper Randy Orton Thread

I am completely surprised that there wasn't a Randy Orton Thread...but so be it.

I just heard that Orton's contract is set to expire in January 2020, and he has turned down the latest offer from the WWE which has reportedly been a mid to high seven figure deal (a "deal of a lifetime" type of deal). I believe his current contract is around 4 million per, and the new deal was at least matching that, possibly/probably higher.

Orton is supposedly frustrated with the WWE's creative ideas for him and wants more creative control over his character, and may be looking elsewhere, possibly/probably AEW.

Sound familiar?

If and a HUGE IF, Orton chooses not to sign with the WWE and jumps ship to AEW, that could be a much bigger blow to the WWE than Moxley leaving, especially with AEW's TV deal about to begin. AEW would then have three established, well known wrestlers to market their product around in Jericho, Moxley, and Orton. And with the TNT weekly program the rest of the roster will get that exposure making Cody the Young Bucks and Omega into the well known establshed stars that the wrestling world already sees them as.

I think that Orton could be the pivotal piece in this competition game. Orton is a 13 time WWE champion, and one of the hallowed 4 of the "Class of 2002", and one of the WWE's biggest creations. Orton is a top 5 of the true WWE creations behind only the Rock, John Cena, Brock Lesnar and Dave Batista. IMO, Orton is a bigger wrestling star than Bats ,but since GOTG and his affiliation with Marvel and subsequent movie roles, Bats has surpassed Orton.

Moxley is the detonator, and Orton could be the bomb to the WWE. If Orton was to jump to AEW that could really make Vince change the way he is doing things, because other wrestlers reportedly already want to leave, and Moxley left, and then possibly Orton, so the question would be is "Who would be next?" The current wrestlers could either ask for their release, or not re-sign due to lack of creative for them.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:20 AM.

Interesting thoughts, but ultimately, Orton would be a non-factor. It would be the same as Angle jumping to TNA back in the day... a brief spike but long term it won’t matter. As you already pointed out, he’s pretty much last in the pecking order of the class of ‘02. Orton is not a big name commodity outside of hardcore wrestling fans, therefore, he won’t draw new fans into AEW, and the type of fans moving over to AEW are the exact ones that are tired of WWE and their same ol’, same ol’ of pushing past stars, which pretty much means if he signed, it would be met with a collective groan/eye roll.

That's a little stronger than I'd put it but I'd agree his long term ceiling is lower than what you might get out of Moxley.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Interesting thoughts, but ultimately, Orton would be a non-factor. It would be the same as Angle jumping to TNA back in the day... a brief spike but long term it won’t matter. As you already pointed out, he’s pretty much last in the pecking order of the class of ‘02. Orton is not a big name commodity outside of hardcore wrestling fans, therefore, he won’t draw new fans into AEW, and the type of fans moving over to AEW are the exact ones that are tired of WWE and their same ol’, same ol’ of pushing past stars, which pretty much means if he signed, it would be met with a collective groan/eye roll.
    He might be the bottom of the pecking order on the '02 class, but when you're looking at that demographic that AEW currently isn't drawing -- kids 10-16 -- the "RKO Outta Nowhere" guy is still known to them.

You use him to get them in the door and the video game stuff that those guys seem in to and it might actually put a lot more eyes on the product that you'd assume.

He's not as "big" a star in the mainstream as Cena, Batista or Brock, but those guys would draw some WWE fans over and anyone else who cares enough to see them in a new environment would be already checking out AEW. Kids and teenagers are dumbfucked, though. They're into their own little meme world and Orton (as well as Cena) are a part of that.

I wasn't the only one to notice that there were virtually no women or children at Double or Nothing. It was a lot of gentlemen with black t-shirts with a few women smattered throughout and like two kids in total. Traditionally, companies are much more successful when they have a good chunk of women and children in the audience.

Transgender Terror
    He's so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    He might be the bottom of the pecking order on the '02 class, but when you're looking at that demographic that AEW currently isn't drawing -- kids 10-16 -- the "RKO Outta Nowhere" guy is still known to them.

You use him to get them in the door and the video game stuff that those guys seem in to and it might actually put a lot more eyes on the product that you'd assume.

He's not as "big" a star in the mainstream as Cena, Batista or Brock, but those guys would draw some WWE fans over and anyone else who cares enough to see them in a new environment would be already checking out AEW. Kids and teenagers are dumbfucked, though. They're into their own little meme world and Orton (as well as Cena) are a part of that.

I wasn't the only one to notice that there were virtually no women or children at Double or Nothing. It was a lot of gentlemen with black t-shirts with a few women smattered throughout and like two kids in total. Traditionally, companies are much more successful when they have a good chunk of women and children in the audience.
    Would he bring in that 10-16 year old demographic, though? The last time he was really relevant was what... maybe 2013 during the whole authority/Daniel Bryan thing? That demographic would’ve been 4-10 years old at that time, and I question whether someone that young would see the appeal of Orton and decide to check out a new company six years later.

I don't know about specific demographic appeal, but you need to do something to get those outside the hardcore to take a look at you, and he's as good an option as any that you could realistically get.

Gives him a certain value for a year or two.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I would argue that many people would tune in to see Randy Orton in AEW. There is no doubt that IF he chose to sign with AEW, he would come out and say why. Also with AEW having the surprise of Moxley, they would not surprise debut Orton, but rather they would actively market him to draw viewers into the TNT show.

Orton openly saying that he chose not to re-sign over creative differences and then signing with AEW where they would allow him more creative freedom, would make people tune in, just to see what he will do there. What kind of stories does he want to tell? How does he want to have his character behave? This will then be on him and AEW to keep the viewers.

But Orton would cause an initial bump for a few weeks. But then they must keep the viewers.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:46 AM.

That seems optimistic, don't think casual fans would be asking those kinds of questions

It'd have some effect but many fans might be pushing it

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    He's so awesome.
    I forgot about your Randy love. Glad it's still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Would he bring in that 10-16 year old demographic, though? The last time he was really relevant was what... maybe 2013 during the whole authority/Daniel Bryan thing? That demographic would’ve been 4-10 years old at that time, and I question whether someone that young would see the appeal of Orton and decide to check out a new company six years later.
    It's not necessarily about the last time that he was on top. People like a year or two ago thought those RKO Outta Nowhere memes were hilarious. I remember we first broke in to a town a year or so ago whose crowd was probably 80% kids 10-15. All they wanted to see was an RKO Outta Nowhere.

His last time on top isn't the big issue, it's that they think memes are funny.

Thing is, I think Orton could work really well with the guys in AEW - plus I don't think he has got too many miles on the clock, particularly given his recent workload.

Would like to see him go there. I think he's more of a Luger to WCW than a Angle to TNA, mind you.

He may as well go there. He was suppose to be in a feud with Ali, but they seemingly scrapped it. The last time we saw Orton was at Super Showdown live when he beat Hunter, but he hasn't been seen since. Then again, I just read results online so maybe I missed it and he has been on?

Transgender Terror
    We've been busy.

In your dreams, am I right?

It’s good to see Orton getting major showing on both Raw and Smackdown. He feels fresh and looks hungry. And his rivalry with Kofi writes itself.

At least Kofi has another credible heel to feud with for the title.

The Orton return shows the value in letting talent have time off. It's a risk, and I'm sure Finn Balor is concerned he might lose momentum if he's away and can't get a good return feud going. But overall, I think the pros outweigh the cons to let people (probably once they are established) to have a couple months off here and there. Their absence can open up opportunities, and then be focal points when they return.

There are so many people on the roster, that you might as well. Rather than establish an "off season" just plan to give chunks of people a few months off here and there to get them off TV, let them rest up, maybe refresh their look or attitude, and only have them around when it means something.

If The Club lost a match at Survivor Series and then the three of them got to just go home and spend time with their families until January, when they could come back with an impact, would anyone really notice or be upset?

That's been my suggestion over the off season discussion. The problem is of course everyone looking for the same time off, and no one wanting to take off between January to WrestleMania. I'm sure there's a way to work it, but there are hiccups.

I'd almost say you could make that period "all hands on deck" or, with those Saudi shows happening, you could finally get past that idea that everyone needs to be on WrestleMania and you could have a lot of your bottom tier guys off at that point. Either that or everyone does work WrestleMania, because Vince McMahon hates me personally and demands a 15 hour show, so guys that aren't factored in to top angles could be off from January through that week, with the next round starting the day after Mania.

Transgender Terror
    The roster is so huge, they would do well to cycle more guys back through nXt. It sould help give guys down there a rub too.

Orton doing a small angle down there, for example, would be huge. Have him work an angle with Dream or someone. Whether or not he puts the guy over doesn't even matter.

Great idea, T.O. And I agree overall. Someone who is without creative direction or stale on the main roster could use 4-6 months on NXT TV (though likely still tour main roster house shows).

Tyler Breeze already went back, but let's say the goal is for him to go to NXT for the time frame of 2 Takeovers. Then, maybe Fandango gets back from injury in mid-August after Toronto. And they work the tag division in NXT, before coming back to the main roster for Rumble, or as part of the shake up post Mania.

I like it!

I'm waiting for the inevitable Orton vs Reigns feud.

Also, I would love to see Orton put Kevin Owens over in a feud.

Transgender Terror
    We had Reigns vs Orton 5 years ago. I was in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    We had Reigns vs Orton 5 years ago. I was in heaven.
    I bet you were.