Thread: AJ Styles

AJ Styles

I read on Twitter someone say that Styles was past it, and that him and Nakamura both being a bit over the hill is why the matches do not click.

Most of what I'd seen before that blamed Shinsuke alone but is AJ starting to get past his best?

Not at all. He's still a better overall in-ring performer than most in the company. As is the case with a lot of great actual wrasslers, they are hampered by booking and whatever vision WWE management have for matches.

In the case of AJ is it possible for him to be past his best and still better than most in the company?

A bit of a devil's advocate question but something to consider.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Fair point. He has most likely peaked in his overall career, but at the same time has matured his performance to the point that he still stands out above the rest.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

Do I think AJ's best is behind him? Sure but I think people don't realize that he's not expected to go at the speed he used to.. Mainly because of how they have booked feuds. Plus, Shinsuke has gotten lazy. Thought the mania match disappointed.. but I honestly enjoyed Backlash for what it was..

I think if they gave say AJ and Bryan 25 minutes on PPV, they could have a classic.

He has peaked, at least athletically. But he's arguably in the same breadth as Jericho. Their best overall years may just be in their 40s.

Styles is still in the top 5 wrestlers in the WWE.

In no particular order you have these top 7 and Style is definitely in the top of those 7:

Styles
    Bryan
    Rollins
    KO
    Balor
    Cesaro
    Chad Gable - yes he is up there

Oh Chad Gable. How I long for you to get the push you deserve.

I'm surprised people are low on Styles, if not here then in general in the World. He's been holding Smackdown together for as long as he's been on that show based on his performances.

I do think they need to shit or get off the pot with Nakamura, mind you - either he has a title match next PPV and loses it properly or wins it properly, then they do a single rematch with a clean-ish finish to leave little question and just move past this whole feud.

I think it could be a case of exposure making the heart grow absent. It isn't that he isn't great at the moment, he has just been on top of Smackdown for 7 months now and that is after he was on top of the show for a good chunk of 2016/17 too.

When we see something so often we just become so used to it and slowly the excitement leaves even when they are doing things that used to enrapture us.

I'd argue a similar thing happened to Dean Ambrose towards the end of his run, people were just so used to his shtick.

I'm not sure if he's past it. I think people are going down on Styles because he's better when he's edgier and a heel. I'd say he's almost getting stale at the moment and needs something to give him a spark. In ring, he's still great. But is he on a Rollins level? I'm not sure.

Stop the Nakamura feud already, it is just plain awful. I am in the camp where the Nakamura experiment has failed, and he is bringing Styles down as a result. Let Style feud with the Miz and you will see an all around better feud. The mic work would be great, and the matches would be much more entertaining.

The Brain
    The reason people are feeling down on AJ is he's been in lame feuds pretty much nonstop for the past 6 months. The Owens/Zayn thing was booked so badly it soured people on the matches, before that it was Jinder, and now the Nak thing has been a letdown. Hopefully when he gets out of lame booking purgatory his stock will go back up.

You would hope Mizfan that, with the apparent riches that Smackdown now has, that any future program that AJ is involved in would be money.

However on paper, AJ vs Owens should have been great (they wrestled a really good MITB qualifier match on a Raw in 2016 so I know they have it in them). Again, on paper his PPV matches with Nakamura could have been better. I admit that their TV story progression has been decent.

So does it really matter of the likes of Almas, Joe, etc are waiting in the wings, when the matches that count seem to be booked by agents that are either out of touch, or have a vision that doesn't match that of the majority of the fanbase?
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

The ones that I have a booking problem are the owens matches cause we never got a good payoff. It was pretty much all shenagians with shit finishes and it only led to Shane/KO which also turned out to be crap.

AJ and Nakamura didn't live up to expectations at Mania and that was a regular match. I don't blame AJ for it really.. Although he and Nak deserve more of the blame than booking. The nut shot story is fine if we have a good payoff match. Thought the SD match was quite good last week fwiw.

You can have some booking decisions that don't hurt matches but if you over do it, there's less reason to care about the overall body of the match.

The Brain
    I still feel like the nut shot story is pretty much just good for a laugh, nothing more. It doesn't really evoke any kind of emotion and has turned into something of a groaner as of their last PPV match.

I hear AJ is missing a lot of live events. Is he hurt?

The Brain
    Wow, I guess he hasn't wrestled at all, house show or otherwise, since May 22. That's a pretty big gap, definitely seems like they may be trying to give him time to recover from injury before the PPV.

I hope he's not properly injured, but at least with an LMS match they can use the ending to write him out a bit and let him fully rest up with no travel.

Well the Nakamura feud is over, they indeed saved their best for last but despite having some really great character work from Nak I fear that it will ultimately be remembered as a missed opportunity. The crazy thing is just a few changes to it could have made it an amazing story:
    - Nakamura didn't even need to think when he won RR, he immediately chose AJ because he had the previous win. He thinks this is a lay up.
    - When AJ beats him at every turn his positive facade cracks leaving a rotten core and he tries to win their match through underhanded tactics.
    - He then gets in AJ's head leading to AJ also cracking under the pressure of constant attack and getting himself disqualified at GRR.
    - They then forget about the nut shot angle, they have just both lost it and beat each other senseless at Backlash setting up a No Man Standing Match at MITB which goes as it did.

That is broadly exactly what went down and to me is a compelling story the WWE just executed quite poorly on the smaller details and didn't tell the story they had in front of them. It wasn't the technical masterpiece people wanted but I never have a problem with them doing something different as long as it is good, it just turned out that the good stuff they did do was overshadowed by the bad stuff.

So this was Styles entrance on the Japan Tour.

Badass

The Brain
    A bit random but definitely cool!!

i think he wore it once before too.

I like that he went out with Gallows & Anderson, it is like everywhere else he is his new character but in Japan he is still the AJ Styles from a few years ago. Just a nice little character touch.

The Brain
    Speaking of, who could have guessed WWE's big raid of the Bullet Club would result in all the members barely interacting, besides Gallows and Anderson? I know AJ was with them for a little while but mostly they haven't really even tried to do much.

Finn was hanging around with them for a while there, wasn't he?

its not that surprising to me, Vince is resistant to any creation that's not his.... He tried the NWO for only a few short months and I also don't think he cares much about an overseas stable, besides grabbing the talent and giving fans a wink and a nod. Also doesn't help that they can't market bullet club merch... The Club just has no ring to it

I was surprised they are selling OGBC shirts.

But if they could promote Bullet club, that shirt when they brought them in? Forget the PG and all that, it would have sold. OGBC doesn't mean anything to people

The Club was such a silly name, missing the part that makes it an awesome name. Balor Club was a pretty good substitute but only really works for Balor. Styles Club? I think not.

I honestly think they should have had a non 'club' related name, the people who knew them and knew the Bullet Club don't need a name that winks to them and it would have been better for them long term with the rest of the audience.

Styles recently passed 300 days as champ, the longest reign with the WWE belt since CM Punk from 2011-2013.

That is pretty awesome. If you had told me 10 years ago that would happen I would have laughed in your face. I wonder if he is going to be a beneficiary of the 'scrub him from history' attitude Vince takes to certain former performers.

I hope not. Not that I want Punk to hold the record, but more because I hoped the one to pass Punk would also be the face of the company.