Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Young Lions Cup - Info and First Round

Welcome to the first ever LOP Young Lions Cup! This is a chance for newer writers, or those who wish to develop, to get a chance to show what they can do, and to work with existing writers here at LoP, and to allow some names from outside the old familiar faces to get a bit of the glory and attention.

The format of this contest is straightforward. We have seven entries, and you will all form a single group that will compete over the course of three columns. The two participants with the highest score will then progress to a final, which will be confirmed nearer the time but is likely to be contested as the best 2/3 wins. An example of the table for the first round can be seen below.

Code:

Name		RD1	RD2	RD3	Total
    --------------------------------------------------

Drayzera	0	0	0	0
    Dyn. Billington	0	0	0	0
    KingZak13	0	0	0	0
    LWO4Life	0	0	0	0
    S. Woodburn	0	0	0	0
    Shee		0	0	0	0
    Super Hoody	0	0	0	0

There are not really any limits on you other than word limits and deadlines, though you will have to respond to a broad topic that will be given before each round.

To help you with that, some of our columnists have volunteered their services as trainers. Writers should feel to contact SirSam, Mizfan, ‘Bear, RyanLeafPlant and Skulduggery for advice on their ideas, or on things that they’ve written, or to break down feedback a little more. In short, they are here for anyone who wants to use this tournament in order to develop as a writer, so that you can have the benefit of working closely with writers who’ve proven their merits in the past.

Our judges will be The Doc, ‘Samuel Plan, and Maverick, three main page writers who have each built a successful legacy up there in the spotlight. They’ll be free to judge things how they like, with the only input from me being a) you need to produce a column about wrestling, and b) that I want them all to have one question in mind: does this column make me want to come back and read something from this writer next time?

Each will score your column as a percentage leading to a theoretical top score of 300. There is no official rule regarding spelling and grammar, though it is entirely up to the judges how much weight they do – or do not – place on such matters when coming to their decision. The two points noted in the previous paragraph are my only instructions and other than this they have free rein in how they come to their decision. Needless to say, their decision is final and I’m going to make a request before we start that they are given the respect due to people who give up their time to help make these tournaments happen. Poor sportsmanship will be looked on with the appropriate severity.

In the event of a tie, then the columnist with the fewest penalties will win. If they still can’t be split, then it is whoever has won on two out of three columns that gets the W. The next tiebreaker will be the most individual scorecard victories across the three columns. And if that isn’t enough, then I will decide it with a casting vote. I believe that should account for every eventuality.

Aside from the casting vote, my role in this will be merely to enforce the technicalities - I'm an umpire, if you will. There are three, primarily, of which you need to be aware, because although there aren't many rules they have strong consequences that will be enforced. The first is that once you have posted your column, you cannot edit it without penalty. This will be equivalent to 2% from each judge’s scorecard, applied at the sight of an edit stamp on your work. The scale of your editing will also be assessed and further action can be taken at my discretion, up to and including disqualification from the tournament if it is deemed you are making wholesale changes. Second, each column will have a word limit which will be strictly enforced – and you’ll lose 1% from your total score for each word you go over that limit up to 99 words. At 100 words over, you will be automatically disqualified. Finally, each column will have a deadline. Being late carries the highest penalty of all – for the first 12 hours you will lose 10% from each scorecard, and at 12 hours over you will be disqualified.

None of these rules will have exceptions. In case anyone is concerned about the word count, they’ll be assessed at https://wordcounter.net/ so everyone’s work will be in the same boat. Including your title in the column won’t count but any material like captions or epigrams will form part of your total, so use them wisely. In the event of any disqualification, your opponent advances automatically. Any penalties I add for these technical infringements (up to and including disqualification) are, naturally, just as final as the judges' assessment of your work.

Deadline: Saturday 6th July, 17:00 UK Time, 12:00 Eastern Time
    Other timezones available on request

If anyone will have difficulty meeting this first deadline, or indeed if there are windows they’ll be unavailable across the summer, they should contact me immediately. If there are any other questions, do please ask them.

Your first topic is: Duality.

Your word limit is 1200.

Please post your column in the main part of the forum and mark it (YLC-RD1). This will allow the judges to easily identify your entry if you continue to write alongside the tournament.

Best of luck to all competitors!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I am proud and honoured to be a young lion!

Let's do this!

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    This is the first time in a long time I've been called young!!!
    FACT or FICTION: Which Promotion Dies? (And can NXT beat Raw/Smackdown?)
    PM me to get involved.

Happy to offer any wisdom. I came into a tournament as a complete unknown and ended up on the Main Page by the end of it. If there’s any new writer starting out or any veteran CF writers who are looking for that final thing to push their writing to the next level, I’m happy to offer any guidance.

Best of luck to all the Young Lions! Can't wait to read what you have to say.

Feel free to contact me by DM on the forums, DM me on Twitter @Sir_Samuel or you can email me sambrownmedia@gmail.com.

Im happy to help you brainstorm ideas, help with structure and I'll also provide feedback on every column once poated regardless of if I helped with it.

As a caveat I live in Australia so my time zone means I might not reply straight away but I will get back to you.

Good luck Young Lions.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-23-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    The Night It Was Still Real To Me
    @Sir_Samuel

If there's a round where the topic is drinking and getting banned on Twitter, Randall has that one on lock :-)

The Brain
    Hope to hear from y'all! I'm on here and on Twitter @SpectralGent!

As one of the trainers I thought I might repost this for the guys competing. Nony posted it on his thread to the question, what advice would you give to a new columnist in the columns forum? I thought some of the advice was fantastic.

1). Make sure all your first columns are at least 1,000 words. It’s quantity and quality.
    2). Don’t try and be someone. Be yourself. Have your own style.
    3). Don’t get arsey about negative feedback. People genuinely want to help you.
    4). Proof read and spell check. Everything. Especially the title.
    5). Pick a topic and make it the focal point. Other points or asides are fine. A hodgepodge is painful for the reader.
    6). Insult Plan as much as possible.
    7). Don’t try to be cool. Don’t rip on WWE or wrestling for the sake of it. It’s boring.
    8). Mizfan Will feedback your first column. Listen to him.
    9). Make sure you’ve read BC’s guide to not getting hated. It’s still relevant today.
    10). Interact with people. We’re a family. Feedback others and make friends. That’s how you’ll feel this is a home.
    I would also suggest a few things:
    - Read a lot of what you want to write like.
    - If you have time after you complete your column wait overnight and re-read it in the morning. It will help you catch any last minute errors and will potentially give you a fresh perspective to tweak it a little.
    - As far as the process goes, there is no hard and fast method but I find my best pieces come when I map out some dot points I want to hit and then flesh out a column around that. I'm particularly good at doing that in my more dense columns.
    - Have a notes app on your phone and when you think of an idea or a line immediately write it down. Don't assume you will remember what your brilliant line was becasue chances are you will forget it and all you will remember is that you had a great line that you can't remember. I use Google Keep for this and then convert my keep notes to a Google doc once I want to get stuck in but there are plenty of apps that you can use.
    - Pics are fun. I'm not sure what the judges think of them and they seem to have gone out of fashion in the CF of late but I loved using them as a way to break things up and I think they can be a good way of illustrating what you are talking about. See my '5 Stories That Defined 2018' or Mizfan's Bobby Heenan series for examples of how to use them.
    - Write about what you are passionate about. Your passion will mean you care more about it which will make it a better column.

That's all for now.

My inbox is open.

Good Luck.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    @Sir_Samuel

Happy to help in any way I can. Available on twitter, Facebook, what’s app - just DM me for details. Like Sam, I’m also in Australia, but I’m English, so won’t ruin the beautiful language like his kind.

I’m not a judge so won’t tell you what I’m looking for, but bring me anything that’s Doc/Plan/MAV light and I’ll say start again. Be yourself and be original.

Good luck to all! Competitors, I'll be around, feel free to reach out.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    - Pics are fun. I'm not sure what the judges think of them and they seem to have gone out of fashion in the CF of late but I loved using them as a way to break things up and I think they can be a good way of illustrating what you are talking about. See my '5 Stories That Defined 2018' or Mizfan's Bobby Heenan series for examples of how to use them.
    Quick question on that actually Sam.

Are pics still banned on the main page? I know at one point all the writers had to remove any pictures that the WWE could consider their property, from every column past and present.

If that’s no longer the case then I’d definitely argue towards pics. They illustrate your point and break down the wall of text. If they’re still banned then I would argue that unless you had relevant pictures that you don’t think could have a copyright claim made against them, don’t use them. It’s best to get into the right habits early.

As I say though, best waiting on someone’s reply to my query here first!

The Brain
    I'll leave that answer to someone currently on the MP!

I'll echo everything Sam posted and shared from Nony (touched to receive a shoutout, by the way). The only other thing that comes to mind is to put a little research into your column. No need to bury anyone with facts and figures but telling a reader something interesting that they might not have known often beats simply sharing an opinion, especially if that interesting something can be tied into a larger point that you're making.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Pictures are allowed on the MP - and, in fact, are necessary at least once for every column because of the shift we made to a new posting system some time ago as part of the site's redesign.

I can't speak for my fellow two judges, but beyond Prime's predetermined criteria I'm asked to judge by I can tell you that I'm not 'looking' for anything specific. Write the best column you can and I'll tell you if and where and how I think it can get better. Those who demonstrate they listen and adapt to feedback will do well in any scoring from me. Those who don't will likely stagnate quickly. Remember, here, criticism breeds quality.

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    I have a question, it's more of a general thing than any advice.

Are we allowed to swear in the columns title?

I'm honestly not 100% sure on whether we are or not, it's not really something done often but I feel like there definitely have been columns with swearing in the title.
    Creating the greatest card in Survivor Series history.
    Booking by Committee: Survivor Series

In the CF you can, so it's fine for the tournament. There have been rules about profanity on the mp though, if that's what you were driving at.... Not sure about the current situation as regards that.

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    I meant CF. I assumed there's no swearing on the main page, I vaguely remember there being a total ban on swearing at one point up there.
    Creating the greatest card in Survivor Series history.
    Booking by Committee: Survivor Series

No one told me not to swear. Guess they just trusted that I’m a good little Christian boy.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    @Sir_Samuel

Swearing is discouraged on the MP as far as I am aware, especially in titles.

I would also strongly advise against profanity in your writing generally anyway. Learn to express yourself without reverting to foul language. You can still be severe, but your work will read considerably better for it.

Very true about avoiding it. I've found in life in general if you rarely swear the one time you use it people really pay attention.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    @Sir_Samuel

Very true about avoiding it. I've found in life in general if you rarely swear the one time you use it people really pay attention.
    +1

Although I probably still do it too much in real life. Think I've only ever done it once or twice here though.
    PM me to get involved.

Or ignore all that, be yourself.

Bearly won the best MP series by rarely using anything other than swear words...

OK, so my column is one I've had an idea to do for a while now. Normally I struggle to get a topic up to my target of 1,000 words, this is the first time I've written with a word limit and I'm over 900 already and only half way through...

Damn you for creating rules!!
    PM me to get involved.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    I would also strongly advise against profanity in your writing generally anyway. Learn to express yourself without reverting to foul language. You can still be severe, but your work will read considerably better for it.
    Fuck yeah!!!

Ive read some great, great writing filled with swear words. "The things they Carried" comes to mind. It's all in how you style it.

Generally speaking, if you are writing a 'straight' column in that 'journalist' style, you'll probably be better off staying clear of it.

If you're branching off into creative writing, comedy, other shtick, you've got a lot more room to play with before it becomes jarring.

That's my take, anyway.

Though I must admit to wondering, in the past, how Bearly gets away with having stuff in people have been pulled up about before! Clearly it's about how you do it.

Also, Ben, on TTTC, do you mean the book or are you talking about the column with that title?

Don't call it a comeback!! Okay, let's see what I can write.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Generally speaking, if you are writing a 'straight' column in that 'journalist' style, you'll probably be better off staying clear of it.

If you're branching off into creative writing, comedy, other shtick, you've got a lot more room to play with before it becomes jarring.

That's my take, anyway.

Though I must admit to wondering, in the past, how Bearly gets away with having stuff in people have been pulled up about before! Clearly it's about how you do it.

Also, Ben, on TTTC, do you mean the book or are you talking about the column with that title?
    Its a book..sort of fiction (with a lot of truth) about vietnam, but its an example of how swearing can sometimes add to the mood or the unity of effect...A standard column to me is an opinion piece, but a lot still rides on tbe columnist personality...I think if it fits the voice and mood, its ok...but it's kind of like blood used in wrestling,. If it's swearing just to swear, maybe not so much.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 06-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Oh I know the book, love Tim O'Brien. Was just checking because I seem to recall someone writing a column with a similar title. Hey, might even have been you, now I think of it!

That's really funny, because I dont think I did...But I think I was trying to draft it a long time ago but couldnt make it work without forcing it...really weird!..maybe, someone else beat me to it!

Does the word limit include the column title?
    PM me to get involved.

It does not.

Thought I'd better check - I'm running close to the limit!

MS word has me at 1,198 words, the wordcounter site has me at 1,200. Currently experimenting with finding how the count is different, the obvious answer was to remove all hyphenated words but even after doing that they were consistently 2 words different
    PM me to get involved.

If it makes you feel any better, 1200 flat is fine - you only get penalised at 1201!

I know, but it's annoying me now to figure out where they think it's different!
    PM me to get involved.

First coaching job is done.

1000 hindu squats for the rest of the class.

That's how they do it in the New Japan dojo isn't it?

Also if anyone is stuck for a topic then writing about the duality of Seth Rollins will to succeed and desire to avoid the dark habits of his past will hold you in good standing with at least one judge.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-28-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    @Sir_Samuel

You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, folks.
    Author of The WrestleMania Era book series, author of The Doctor's Orders columns on LOP since 2010, LOP Columns Hall of Famer, former host of The Doc Says podcast on LOP Radio (2013-2018), former LOP Raw and WWE PPV Reviewer (2006-2007), and former LOP Smackdown Reviewer (2004-2006)

First coaching job is done.

1000 hindu squats for the rest of the class.

That's how they do it in the New Japan dojo isn't it?

Also if anyone is stuck for a topic then writing about the duality of Seth Rollins will to succeed and desire to avoid the dark habits of his past will hold you in good standing with at least one judge.
    A dangerous game - only if you meet a damn high standard, otherwise I would consider it an insult...

Prime, I think Bearly got away with it because it was the gimmick, it’s why we got called up. If we just started it one day then we’d be pulled up for sure, but there was zero like it up on the MP I guess. Very Marmite for readers.