Thread: Ring of Honor

Ring of Honor

War of the worlds tour is on. They're having a lot of NJPW people over at the moment. Next event is advertising Cody vs Liger, Naito vs Beer City Bruiser, Roppongi 3K vs So Cal uncensored, and Hangman Page defending the TV Title against Sean Young.

Watched the RoH tv this past week, thought it was interesting that the person who stood out the most was probably Bully Ray. Not exactly someone that I'd really think of as typifying RoH but clear he still bought a certain menace and intensity to an otherwise forgettable middle of the show.

The knee strike to win the women's opener was quite something though. Kelly Klein, I think her name was? Not someone I know truth be told.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I've seen her once, last year she had a banger of a match with Io Shirai in Stardom where they literally fought out to the parking lot on top of cars. It was also really good for the in ring parts, for what it's worth. I liked her a lot based on that appearance, though I'm pretty sure Shirai could carry me to a ***1/2 match if it came to it.

Weird to hear Bully Ray is notable again. His big singles breakout earlier in the decade was stupendous, one of the best things about the period, but after 2014 he was pretty much a nonfactor, very forgettable in the WWE and not really recapturing the magic elsewhere.

I'm not going to lie, it was a surprise to me too, but he sauntered out and beat the crap out of some young guys and cut a promo, and there's just a whole other level that he was tapping into.

I won't say it was his TNA best kinda levels, but you could definitely see shades of the performer he was, and in RoH that's going to add value.

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    The way that they've slowly gotten Flip Gordon over with the Young Bucks alignment and main eventing TV frequently gives me the impression that he could be in line for a Television Championship push or at the very least some form of title contention. personally I'm not a fan of him, he just doesn't vibe with me even though he's remarkably talented. I don't wanna see him go to waste like Lio Rush but I'd be happy with him having a tenure similar to Cedric Alexander.

Also I've been wondering how ROH would handle creating divisions with rankings if they were to create a Cruiserweight or Junior Heavyweight Championship for the smaller guys to get recognition from. I think they're fine without J.H. Tag Team Championships but having a weight class Championship to divide the average sized guys from the larger guys would be a great thing to implement to further diversify the roster.

The Brain
    Yeah, Flip is very athletic but I can't say he's really impressed me that much when I've seen him. Feels like others can do what he does just as well with more upside. Plus, apparently he's a bonafide Flat-Earther?? Unless that's a joke and I missed it. Nothing to do with his wrestling, but in a weird way it makes it hard for me to root for the guy, haha.

My initial thought is the guys in ROH are too small on average to really justify a juniors division, but looking over the roster I suppose it could work. I feel like weight classes are a dying trend though, so it still wouldn't be my first choice. If you have a smaller guy and you don't want him going for the world title, there's the TV title or one of the tag belts.

This entire decade has been a renaissance for the average sized generation of wrestlers, there are so many 170 to 225 pound competitors in the world of pro wrestling right now, I feel the weight division titles can seperate the abnormalities from the herd. But it's up to management to not hinder everyone under 225 to a singular one dimensional, spot heavy role.

Also I've been meaning to ask anybody this: what the hell happened to Brandi Rhodes? I'm watching Honor: United and she's wearing a fake diamond studded sling doing commentary. Who hurt her? What happened?

The Brain
    She got injured doing a tour of Stardom a little while back. I'm not sure if there was one specific thing that injured her, she worked the tour and came back and the tests showed she picked up an injury.

Fuck I'm surprised I got an immediate response, thanks sir! Thought it was storyline for how cheesy her sling looked

The Brain
    I mean, I'm sure they're playing it that way. I haven't been wowed by Brandi in the ring, but she's got a great character and complements Cody perfectly. Honestly I'd say she enhances what he brings to the table a lot when she's around.

So Best in the World is on June 29th. So far they've announced quite a few matches. Here's what's coming to Baltimore, MD; a show I'll be attending live

Dalton Castle vs. Marty Scurll vs. Cody (ROH Title)
    Young Bucks vs The Briscoes (ROH Tag Team Titles)
    Los Ingobernables de Japon vs. The Kingdom (ROH 6-Man Titles)
    Flip Gordon vs. Bully Ray
    Women of Honor 8-Woman Match featuring Kelly Klein, Tenille Dashwood, Sukie Sakai and women from STARDOM
    Adam Page vs. Punishment Martinez

KUSHIDA has been advertised as well.

So far, no match for the TV Title held by Silas Young, or anything for Jay Lethal and SoCal Uncensored

EDIT: KUSHIDA vs Jay Lethal has been added
    Last edited by Rob S.; 06-12-2018 at 01:57 PM.

The Brain
    So, with the All In angle going on, you've gotta figure Cody is taking that ROH title, right? I love Castle but he's had a pretty good run and Cody is HOT HOT right now. My only wonder is how they'll get it back off him, or if they'll just run him on top for an extended period.

Flip vs. Bully is... something. Honestly's don't even know what to think of that. Similar with an 8 way match, seems like a way to cram women on the card without paying much attention to them, which is not great, especially since the unnamed women of Stardom will probably end up being some of the best wrestlers on the roster.

I'm down with KUSHIDA vs. Lethal though, that should be a lot of fun.

The Women's Match is this:

WOMEN OF HONOR CHAMPION SUMIE SAKAI, JENNY ROSE, MAYU IWATANI, & TENILLE DASHWOOD vs. KELLY KLEIN AND OEDO TAI (HAZUKI AND GODDESS OF STARDOM TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS KAGETSU & HANA KIMURA)

The Brain
    What the heck is up with the Sumie Sakai thing? Even in the early 00s she was just alright, and I can't imagine she's gotten amazing with almost 20 years of wear and tear. A lot of good names in there which could probably tear down the house if given a better spot. Tenille vs. Iwatani or Kagetsu would almost certainly be awesome.

I don't know man. Was sure they were either going with Tenille or Kelly Klein as champion. Sakai was a giant shock to me.

Sounds like the card is almost complete except for possibly a Silas Young defense. He's the only Champ not booked yet.

WWE blocking RoH doing a show at MSG fucking sucks.

The Brain
    Yeah, what the fuck is up with that? ROH is no threat to them and they don't even use MSG anymore except for a couple house shows. Feels like just throwing their weight around for the hell of it, but that's par for the course. Unfortunate that they'll probably do the same to AAA before their show.

Total Vince move. Highly doubt it happens if he's not running things. I would somewhat get it if they used it for TV but its too expensive.. which is amusing coming from a company that just had a tv rights deal worth 2 Bill in total.

I get Sinclair is a tv company but I felt like ROH doing MSG was a big risk, especially branded as ROH. Which isn't that hot.

The Brain
    If I read right though they were gonna try to run 'Mania weekend, and since they sold out (I think) at 6,000 last 'Mania weekend they could have set a whole new record for themselves. Would have really liked to see them at least get a chance to try.

Is there somewhere bigger than the Hammerstein they can run instead in the area? I'm sure they can sell that out easily but it doesn't hold anywhere near 6,000.

Tonight is Best in the World. I'll be attending the show in person, first time at an RoH show since 2013. Let's hope for a good show

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    If I read right though they were gonna try to run 'Mania weekend, and since they sold out (I think) at 6,000 last 'Mania weekend they could have set a whole new record for themselves. Would have really liked to see them at least get a chance to try.
    And it's the weekend of Wrestlemania XXXV. Somebody should be running fucking holy ground on that weekend.

Bullet Club is NOT fine.

How was the show Rob?

Just read that Alex Shelley has had to retire. Sad for him, he's only 35.

Seen a lot of discussion all over the net about how Vince will react to RoH running and selling out MSG. Does anyone out there think RoH will have the WWE gunning for them from now on, and if so, how do people think they'll ride that wave?

What WWE will try to do is sign the Bucks, Cody and Omega. I don't know what else they could do. Blocking MSG didn't work. Show sold so its not like they can take away from that. They already try to put NXT against them. As far as signing away more talent, they already do that too by funneling people to Evolve.

WWE been undercutting ROH for years and as long as ROH can hold onto the Bucks and Cody, then ROH will keep humming along.

I mean, WWE does have options unless Sinclair wants to pump a bunch of money and legal resources into ROH. They could book some of these smaller buildings that are within ROH's grasp and get them to sign on to exclusivity agreements with a guarantee that they'll be there X times per year.

Make no mistake, MSG took ROH's booking because they've been slighted by WWE. WWE runs Barclay's in New York typically. If WWE had been running MSG more than twice per year, I'm sure they would have turned ROH away.

WWE's got deeper pockets than ROH. Sinclair will step in with their much larger and legal team and bigger bank account...but how often? How many times will they do it before it becomes a nuisance?

The Brain
    Man, that sucks about Alex Shelley. I'm also kind of shocked he's only 35. I would have guessed at least 40, for how long it feels like he's been around and because I know even 5 years ago or so he was talking about being really burnt out. Hope he's happy in retirement and able to come back to the ring now and again if he feels the itch.

Agree WWE will probably fight this one with their pocket book and try to scoop up even more guys that ROH would like to use. Whether that strategy will work or not is debatable for a number or reasons, but it won't be for lack of cash on the WWE's side.

Sinclair does have the Money to keep the Bucks and Cody happy.. I think they are happy already so I think the WWE deal would have be something beyond money, assurances, that sort of thing.. Not saying it won't happen or that Sinclair will step up to do more beyond that. I don't think Sinclair takes ROH seriously enough. If they did, they probably would put more effort into the overall product...instead of seeing attendance rise because of a few acts..

I feel like WWE is more angry with MSG than ROH. They basically told them we love you, but only for live events that mean nothing.. Don't cheat on us... And then MSG cheated. lol. If WWE was serious about hurting ROH, they would take NXT on the road way more and live if they could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I feel like WWE is more angry with MSG than ROH. They basically told them we love you, but only for live events that mean nothing..
    I think that has something to do with MSG charging an arm an a leg if your event is televised. Like, substantially more than a non-televised event.
    If WWE was serious about hurting ROH, they would take NXT on the road way more and live if they could do it.
    They still might. It's not something that can be done at the drop of a hat. But they could also offer some more money/help to WWN if they want to damage ROH without the bad publicity among wrestling fans. Help get them drawing big numbers and put the on the Network.

That's another thing that would help. I don't really care for Evolve but more people would watch it if it was on the network...and pushed right, it could be the promotion that rivals ROH..

The funny thing is, people aren't into ROH... but they are into the Bucks and Cody and New Japan, Omega especially and I know some fans feel its supporting an alternative group to WWE.. Evolve is seen as a feeder system with all the appearances Regal, even Triple H has made.

I don't fault WWE for not paying the charge to broadcast at MSG but expecting them to do no wrestling.. because of loyalties to WWE? lol surprised it took this long tbh.

The gate is reportedly exceeded 1 million dollars for Supercard. I think ROH made their money back.

The next ROH Baltimore show is Glory By Honor and so far two matches have been announced, and they're both pretty damn good.

Jay Lethal vs. Silas Young for the ROH Title
    Cody and the Young Bucks vs. SCU for the ROH Six-Man Titles

Add to that the recent victory of Jeff Cobb over Punishment Martinez for the TV title, which would hopefully mean an appearance here and this card is already shaping up nicely
    Last edited by Rob S.; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:31 AM.

The Brain
    That's pretty solid, I've liked Silas a lot when I've seen him and I could maybe see him as a good choice for ROH champion. He's a bit underwhelming in that role on paper but at least he's got a big personality that could help him carry it. I'm not sure if he'd be better than Lethal, who is very talented but seems like he might be in a rut in that slot. BC/SCU should be fun for sure, I like the idea of Daniels being in the mix with the BC/Cody stuff. Also think Cobb will be a really good fit for ROH, yet another talent discovered by Lucha Underground that's now out making waves everywhere he goes!

There were some more announcements for GBH in Baltimore.

Marty Scurll vs. Hurricane Helms
    Shane Taylor vs. Adam Page
    Jonathan Gresham vs. Bully Ray
    The Briscoes vs. The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas)- Non-Title match

I suspect we'll get a Women of Honor match announced, and maybe one more to round out the card at 8

The Brain
    Really surprised at Helms getting booked. I like the guy but I've seen him wrestling in 2018 and he wouldn't be my first choice for a major match. Maybe they'll just do shtick though, I'm sure it's a hero vs. villain tagline they're going for.

I've seen a bit of Shane Taylor and he seems solid. Big fan of Page so that match should be reasonably good.

I though Bully Ray was pasts it but from what I've seen he's still got something in the tank, not what he had 5 years ago but something. Match up with the tiny but super mat savvy Gresham should be interesting.

Nice to see Brian Milonas booked in ROH, is he a regular? Saw him for the first time recently and was fairly impressed!

He and Beer City Bruiser are now a regular tag team. And yeah, I think the card looks great!