Young Lions Cup - First Round results and Round 2

Alright everyone, the first round results of the Young Lions Cup are in, and the judges scores make for some very interesting reading. I think everyone is playing pretty well in some areas but that almost everyone needs to do something in order to appeal to all of the judges going forward. Maybe making more use of the trainers that we have on offer, and doing a bit more brainstorming before you start writing? Something to consider. But well done on an excellent first round that certainly garnered some big scores in a number of cases, and was very well received by judges and general readers alike.

Anyway, the table after the first round is below.

Code:

Name		RD1	RD2	RD3	Total
    --------------------------------------------------

S. Woodburn	223*	0	0	223
    Drayzera	207	0	0	207
    LWO4Life	194	0	0	194
    Dyn. Billington	186	0	0	186
    Shee		179	0	0	179
    KingZak13	142	0	0	142
    Super Hoody	N/S	0	0	0

The only penalty of the round is for Scottwoodburn, who seemed to miss the rule about not editing columns once they've been posted. I've had a look at the changes and the edits are not especially extensive, and this is the first round of a tournament for new writers so I think the sensible thing to do is err on the side of caution here - so I'm applying the standard minimum penalty for the edits, which takes 2% from each judges scorecard and leaves him top of the list. Meanwhile, Super Hoody seemed to forget all about posting and now will have to try and make it into the second round from a deficit of more than 200 points - which is doable, but unlikely.

Everyone is still in at this point, so all of you can still take part in the next round. Here are the details.

Deadline: Saturday 20th July, 17:00 UK Time, 12:00 Eastern Time
    Other timezones available on request

For the full rules, please see the info and first round thread as all you'll need should be in there.

Your topic is: binge-watching.

Your word limit is, once again, 1200.

Please post your column in the main part of the forum and mark it (YLC-RD2).

Very best of luck!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Binge watching?

Got to admit, my initial thoughts are a total blank on this one.

FACT or FICTION: The Future of Smackdown
    PM me to get involved.

Dyna, do you ever watch anything multiple times, especailly in the youtube era? If not, then what would you if you did? What videos do you like most? Or it could be maybe a wrestling promotion where you watch show after show...

Nope, No and negative!

Youtube I never use except for when I'm learning to play new songs on guitar. There are some TV shows I watch, but even on Netflix if I manage more than one or two episodes a week I'm doing well. Wrestling wise I only ever watch WWE PPVs, and even that is done at my convenience - I'm still only an hour into Stomping Grounds.

PM me to get involved.

Perhaps what doesn't appeal about binge watching could be a way into it, then...

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I don't think using a subject a contrario is forbidden. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

You could work this to your advantage...it could be about an anti bingewatcher that found something so good, you watched it twice. Or you could talk about how nothing is worth binge watching to you and why. This could reveal your personality in a humorous light.

Your spin will be unique and could put you ahead if you make it interesting for yourself and the reader.

Have to say - Very disappointed so few people reached out to the mentoring on offer. I'm not giving feedback on the columns, I'm here to offer more, use me.

Barring one, I was hugely unimpressed by the majority of columns, plenty of talent though.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Have to say - Very disappointed so few people reached out to the mentoring on offer. I'm not giving feedback on the columns, I'm here to offer more, use me.

Barring one, I was hugely unimpressed by the majority of columns, plenty of talent though.
    Got to say, in your role as mentor I'd have thought you should feel obliged to feedback to those who didn't ask for input, and use that as a way of showing how they could develop and how you could have helped. Especially if you weren't impressed.

PM me to get involved.

The Brain
    I'm really, really pleased by the avalanche of feedback we did see in the last round. Reminds me of those good old days when I first posted around this place! Would love to see that energy continue from those experienced writers who have so much to offer new writers.

I'm very happy to help as much as I can in my role as mentor, I've been very busy as of late (as seen by my tardy feedback to the first round) but I'll do what I can to make time and help out any who want it!

Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteBillington View Post
    Got to say, in your role as mentor I'd have thought you should feel obliged to feedback to those who didn't ask for input, and use that as a way of showing how they could develop and how you could have helped. Especially if you weren't impressed.
    I’ll help people that want it, such as you. If people genuinely want to be better, they’ll use what’s at their disposal

To clarify, giving feedback afterwards isn’t my forte, I wouldn’t be able to give anything that others won’t say. Where I do excel, is the creative process, and can really help ideas formulate
    Last edited by BEAR; 6 Days Ago at 12:12 AM.