Top Gun: Maverick

Looks like we're getting yet more sequels.... I was actually about to post something to the effect of 'do we really need more Tom Cruise movies?' and then Twitter seemed to be going nuts about this. Anyway, a thread to talk about the Top Gun sequel. You going to see it? Is it just too late? And do we really need any more Tom Cruise movies?!!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

What’s wrong with Tom Cruise? He’s one of the last true international movie stars around and usually every movie he makes is good. The F-14 scene at the end of the Maverick trailer gave me chills.

I've been over him for an eternity by this point.

I can't speak to how his films have been because I've been turned off by either his presence in them or the trailers for them for so long that I think I've seen maybe one in the last ten years. Oblivion, I saw that one, but I've given the rest a wide berth.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think his public persona has soured people on his movies. Hard to take someone seriously when theyíre jumping around on Oprahís couch or being a spokesperson for Scientology. With that said, from what Iíve seen of his stuff the past several years, heís been just fine. Iíll check out the sequel eventually for nostalgia reasons, but itís definitely a pass on rushing to the theater to see it.

Not sure I have seen him in anything since Mission IMpossible 2

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    The main issue with Tom Cruise is that he's too Tom Cruise! He plays Tom Cruise in every movie.

Top Gun is Tom Cruise as a pilot.

Mission Impossible is Tom Cruise as a spy.

A Few Good Men is Tom Cruise as a lawyer.

War of the World is Tom Cruise as a dad.

Collateral is Tom Cruise as a hitman.

You get the idea I'm sure! I wouldn't exactly call him a versatile actor. As has been said, he's always just fine, but he's also never anything more than the same version of himself in different situations. It's almost at a point of hilarity at this stage! I can't say the announcement of a Top Gun sequel has filled me with much enthusiasm as a result, in all honesty, though I imagine I'll go see it - I try to expose myself to as many films as I can at this point. Even those that are sequels to films I particularly dislike....

I respectfully disagree with that statement. He definitely has a default role of charmingly arrogant upstart with something to prove, but he has shown to do much more. He has a reputation of being one of the most versatile actors in the last almost 40 years. Ethan Hunt is played much differently than his character in Top Gun. His Collateral character was something he never played before until then. Then you really dive into his filmography: Born on the Fourth of July, Color of Money where he outshined Paul Newman, Rain Man which happens to be the last time Dustin Hoffman did anything of note, Magnolia, Last Samurai. Lots of versatility, and he’s willing to go to physical extremes to play them.