Columnist of the Month Contest - July 2019

What ho, CF! It's time once again for the columnist of the month competition. July is often not the busiest month of the year and that seems to have been the case once again, but there are still a whole bunch of people out there who've posted at least a column this month and a couple of people who've been back a few times and put out a few different things for you to read. And as always, there's some very good stuff mixed in with that lot.

If you’re new here or have never bothered to look over them before, the full rules are below – check them out first. If not, skip down, and you can find the list of eligible columns for the month. We were a bit busier this month than last time. The basic gist, as you’re probably aware, is that you vote for the person you thought had the best month for columnist, and the best individual piece for column.

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.
    a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.
    b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.
    For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Here are the list of eligible columns.

Benjamin Button
    The Fragments that Formed Flair. Volume 5: The Dragon and the Peacock (Part 1)
    Breakfast with Button 1: Enjoying Two Brian Pillmans.
    How to Perform an All-Male, Six Star Encounter!

Drayzera
    Binging The Ultimate Warrior Within Myself
    Two Shields In The Same Universe - A Tale Of Duality Put To The Sword

DynamiteBillington
    Bulldog's Bottom Line: Generation eXcess
    Bull from the Bulldog - The Legend Returns
    Bulldog's Bottom Line: The Rock N Wrestling Connection

KingZak
    Kingzak presents: Extreme Rules 2019 Predictions
    Kingzak Presents: Sleep well
    Kingzak Presents: Rest in Peace

LWO4Life
    Duality: Old vs. New
    Why the Fox Paid One Billion to Enter the Rabbit Hole

Mizfan
    The Life & Times of Bobby Heenan: Match Made In Heaven, Match Made In Hell (Aug '91)

Prime Time
    Prime Time on Wrestling - The Problem of Art
    The 'No Bullshit' Review - 2019 Special
    The 'No Bullshit' Review - Part Three
    The Lords of Pain World Heavyweight Championship - 2002-2004 (w/ friends)
    The 'No Bullshit' Review - Part Two

RIPBossman
    Hardtime: Foley's HIAC Match With Undertaker Did Not Make Him A Star

Scott Woodburn
    No one ever wanted to be Barry Horowitz
    I could watch this all day and sometimes do.
    Make Pro Wrestling Believe Again

Shee
    One man can't fill a house
    It can still be new to you

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well. Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

Voting ends on Saturday, August 10th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

And with that, voting is now open!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Don't the columns that got moved to the competition area count?

FACT or FICTION: The Future of Smackdown
    PM me to get involved.

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    I believe Dynamite is right on that, competition columns do count usually.

Also You've got the wrong column down from me, it would have been Sleep Well, Dark Heart is my new entry.

Not sure who's got my vote yet, It's either someone from the competition or PrimeTime for me.

They do count, my own stupidity there. Edit coming.

EDIT: Scratch that, I see what I've done there now.

2nd edit: To confirm, tournament columns are now all on the list except for those posted outside of July. Should all be good to go from now. Sorry for the confusion!

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    How to Perform an All-Male, Six Star Encounter! gets my vote for column.

I'll go With Prime for Columnist though, knocking out some good work as well as running a competition and destroying spambots. Think he's earned some reward this month.

FACT or FICTION: The Future of Smackdown
    PM me to get involved.

Well gawddamn, after looking it over, I'm gonna go with Scott Woodburn for columnist! I love the style of the columns and the content! Good months for Prime and Dynamite, too!

My favorite single column was the Bobby the Brain one, Summerslam 91 from Mizfan!

Benjamin Button for columnist.

Mizfan and the brain for column!

The Brain
    Thanks for grabbing this Pete, I should be good to take it back over come the September edition!

Speaking of, some great contenders this month but I gotta go with Prime Time for some superb content. For individual column I would have to say The Fragments that Formed Flair. Volume 5: The Dragon and the Peacock (Part 1). Anyone who isn't following that phenomenal series closely is greatly missing out!

Scott Woodburn for COTM

No One Ever Wanted To Be Barry Horowitz for column

I'm going with Dynamite for CoTM

Columnist: Prime Time
    Column: How to Perform an All-Male, Six Star Encounter! by Benjamin Button

Button.

Miz's Heenan series entry for individual column.

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    Best vote properly before this closes.

Prime for Columnist

Dynamites Generation Excess for column.

Awkward as it is, bringing this one to an end.

Here's the tally.

Prime Time (4)
    Benjamin Button (2)
    Scott Woodburn (2) - ineligible
    Dynamite Billington (1)

Column

Bobby Heenan (3)
    All Male, Six Star (2)
    Flair Fragments (1)
    Generation Excess (1)
    Barry Horowitz (1)

So the mods take all the awards this month. I'm the columnist of the Month for the seventh time, while the Heenan series racks up another accolade for Mizfan with the individual column. Ben Button has second place all to himself since Woodburn didn't vote and is thus ineligible.

Thanks to everyone for voting, and to everyone who wrote in the forum this month. And of course, to everyone who voted for me! Much appreciated!

Congrats to Prime and Mizfan for well deserved accolades!

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    A hearty congratulations to my eternal nemesis, who once again sits above me on the rankings table! Were I not a man with one foot out the door, I might be tempted to come back here and have at it for one last round. Instead, a pat on the back Prime - well done and well deserved!

Thanks very much, Ben and 'Plan.

The Brain
    Woo, mod powers unite!! Thanks very much for the votes all, really warms my heart that readers still enjoy the series so much after all these years. Hoping to crank out another month very soon!