The Brain

Columnist of the Month Contest - August 2019: RIPPER IS A 4 TIMER!

Greetings, CF! September is upon us, so it's time to look back at the month that was August. I'm actually rather pleased at the turnout for the month, but you're not really reading this anyway, so let's get right to it!

If you’re new here or have never bothered to look over them before, the full rules are below – check them out first. If not, skip down, and you can find the list of eligible columns for the month. The basic gist, as you’re probably aware, is that you vote for the person you thought had the best month for columnist, and the best individual piece for column.

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.
    a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.
    b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.
    For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Here are the list of eligible columns.

BEAR
    -The Lunch Hour: My Name is Chris, but what am I?

Benjamin Button
    -The Bloody Bastards of South Eastern Wrestling: Sizing Up the Challenge
    -Fraternizing with Evil
    -The Fragments that Formed Flair. Volume 6: The Dragon and the Peacock (Part 2).
    -Sunday Morning Coming Down: Summer Slam Reflections

DrayZera
    -Bray Wyatt's Last Stand

DynamiteBillington
    -Bulldog's Bottom Line: My name is Gary, but what am I?
    -Fact or Fiction: Forum Edition

Kingzak13
    -SummerSlam/Takeover 2019 Predictions
    -The Dark Heart of Daniel Bryan
    -Takeover Cardiff Predictions

Kleckamania
    -Senior (NXT) Superlatives: Most Likely To Succeed
    -Unexpected Class Instead Of Gratuitous Ass
    -This Ain't A Wednesday It's A G*d Da*n Arms Race!
    -Kleck's Virgin Reviews: NXT UK (Go home episode & Takeover: Cardiff, 2 Columns)

LWO4Life
    -Who Are You Anymore?
    -Show Me Something
    -What We Don't See, We Can Still See

Prime Time (The Lords of Pain World Heavyweight Championship)
    -2004-2011 (et al)
    -2011-2014 (et al)

RIPbossman (Hardtime)
    -Vince McMahon Gave Big Opportunities To Many Former WCW Stars
    -Ken Shamrock- 15 Years Too Soon
    -Why Big Men Shouldn't Be Blamed For Having Bad Matches

Scottwoodburn
    -"A good fight should be like a small play."
    -My Aunt Hilda

Shee
    -Hay is for horses

Spinmaster (Mizzie & The Spin's Total Non-Stop Wrestling Project)
    -The Tale of Two Viewing Experiences (w/mizfan)
    -Are Things Actually Getting Better? (w/mizfan)

TheLAW
    -Welcome to My World: For Real This Time

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well. Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

Voting ends on Monday, September 9th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

And with that, voting is now open!

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    I'm going to go with Bear for individual column and Kleck for Columnist
    FACT or FICTION: Which Promotion Dies? (And can NXT beat Raw/Smackdown?)
    PM me to get involved.

Individual, Ripper's Ken Shamrock 15 yrs too soon.

Ripper for columnist.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Shee for Columnist

DrayZera
    -Bray Wyatt's Last Stand for column

Benny for COTM again. Guy is incredible right now (want a main page spot?)

Big shout out to Kleck, LWO, Scotty and RIPBossman though.

Ken Shamrock column by RIPBossman for column of the month.

Lots to love too, loved Law's, Dray Zera's, the LOP Championship & Dynos Who Am I piece as well. Sorry my comments have been rarer than hens teeth lately. Not doing a very good job defending thr Mizfan award, you may well get it back come end of year my friend.

Klek

And Dynamite for column, Gary is a beast

The Brain
    I'll pitch in here as well... for individual column I have to go with Benny's The Fragments that Formed Flair. Volume 6: The Dragon and the Peacock (Part 2). If you've missed any part of that series, it's well worth digging up!

Columnists is a tough battle for me, with Ripper, Kleck, LWO, and Scott standing out, not to mention Pete and Spin carrying on their series (with some help from yours truly) in fine fashion. I've got for Benny again here though, dude is a monster lately.

Columnist: RIPBossman
    Column: My Name is Chris, but what am I? by BEAR

Benjamin Button for columnist

Kleck's -Unexpected Class Instead Of Gratuitous Ass for individual

My vote for columnist goes to RIPBossman, who is writing some seriously thought provoking columns. HMS to Ben and LWO.

My vote for column also goes to RIPBossman, it was a toss up between two of his columns for me, but I'll go with his Shamrock column. His big men column was seriously good too though.

{I sincerely appreciate the votes for me guys! I'll be around. I plan on diving into NXT UK with at least another 3-4 review columns. Making my way through Takeover Cardiff now. Moving set me back a bit.}

The Brain
    So it looks like we've got a rare event, a tie game between Ripper and Benny!

RIPbossman 3
    Benjamin Button 3
    Kleckamania 2
    Shee 1

In the event of a tie, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Re-Voting ends on Saturday, September 14th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

We do have a clear winner for individual column as RIPBossman's Ken Shamrock- 15 Years Too Soon takes the price! Congrats Rip!

I vote RIP Bossman. Cant stand that other fucker
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Benjamin Button

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    I'm going to go with Bossman.

His columns last month were the best he's done, that style of column is always a favourite of mine, and Ben has won it enough lately we need someone to give him a final beatdown in the virtual PPV that is the COTM event!
    FACT or FICTION: Which Promotion Dies? (And can NXT beat Raw/Smackdown?)
    PM me to get involved.

The Brain
    Personally I will reaffirm my vote for Benny, but I could easily see this going either way. Ripper had a hell of a good month.

Gonna stick to my vote of RIP Bossman, though Ben was definitely a close 2nd. I think both of you should be on the MP honestly.

Benny! Dudes on fire.

RIPBossman

The Brain
    It was neck and neck the whole way but ultimately, with a tiebreaker vote of 4 to 3, I can officially congratulate RIPbossman as our August Columnist of the Month! This makes Rip a 4 time winner, a feat accomplished by less than 20 writers in the almost 20 year history of the Columns forum. Congrats, Ripper!

Congrats Ripper. Well earned and deserved!