Thread: Cycling

Cycling

Do you like cycling, either the pro sport or even just cycling yourself? Here is where to chat about it.

Amazing stage for my favourite team Mitchelton Scott at the Giro D'Italia last night. A very strong break got away with a number of General Classification threats in it including my favourite cyclinst Esteban Chaves.

On the final climb the team's second GC threat Simon Yates broke away from the remainder of the peloton, soloed over to Chaves and the two tag teamed it up the rest of the summit finish, crossing the line together. Yates is now in the leaders jersey and Chaves has moved up to third. They are only one week into the Tour but it was an amzing day of racing, here is the backstage video from Mitchelton Scott:

Super Moderator
    That was a wonderful stage. I love when stuff like that happens. Good for Yates! I hope he continues to do well.

Yeah good for the whole team, of course I'm bias as an Aussie but I feel like Mitchelton Scott are the good guys of cycling, they ride aggressively, are likeable people and have the brilliant backstage videos that really give an insight into the team that you can't really get anywhere else in the world of sport.

Will be interesting to see if they can hold on to the pink jersey, Yates is in commanding form right now but 3 weeks is a long time and if I was guessing Froome intentionally came into the Giro very under cooked with the idea of peaking in the final week and still having legs at The Tour.

Super Moderator
    I've never watched the Giro before, and only really ever taken notice of the last couple of TdFs. Froome's over a minute back. How often is that disqualifying at this stage of the Giro?

If Yates has a bad day losing a minute is very easy. To give you an idea in 2016 Esteben Chaves went into the final stage with a 44 second lead over Vincenzo Nibali but lost 1.30 to him and lost the race lead on the final day.

Chris Froome is generally very reliable and the 34km Time Trial will be a chance for him to gain a lot of time on Yates.

The TT means that Tom Domoulin can't be ruled out either, he is the World Champ in the time trials so will take at least a minute off Yates in that.

My guess at tactics for the rest of the race will be the likes of Yates and Chaves along with Thibault Pinot, Fabio Aru and Domenico Pozzovivo will gang up on Froome and Domoulin and try to crack them on the steeper slopes that those two would like to just ride up at a steady pace.