Thread: Cycling

Cycling

Do you like cycling, either the pro sport or even just cycling yourself? Here is where to chat about it.

Amazing stage for my favourite team Mitchelton Scott at the Giro D'Italia last night. A very strong break got away with a number of General Classification threats in it including my favourite cyclinst Esteban Chaves.

On the final climb the team's second GC threat Simon Yates broke away from the remainder of the peloton, soloed over to Chaves and the two tag teamed it up the rest of the summit finish, crossing the line together. Yates is now in the leaders jersey and Chaves has moved up to third. They are only one week into the Tour but it was an amzing day of racing, here is the backstage video from Mitchelton Scott:

That was a wonderful stage. I love when stuff like that happens. Good for Yates! I hope he continues to do well.

Yeah good for the whole team, of course I'm bias as an Aussie but I feel like Mitchelton Scott are the good guys of cycling, they ride aggressively, are likeable people and have the brilliant backstage videos that really give an insight into the team that you can't really get anywhere else in the world of sport.

Will be interesting to see if they can hold on to the pink jersey, Yates is in commanding form right now but 3 weeks is a long time and if I was guessing Froome intentionally came into the Giro very under cooked with the idea of peaking in the final week and still having legs at The Tour.

I've never watched the Giro before, and only really ever taken notice of the last couple of TdFs. Froome's over a minute back. How often is that disqualifying at this stage of the Giro?

If Yates has a bad day losing a minute is very easy. To give you an idea in 2016 Esteben Chaves went into the final stage with a 44 second lead over Vincenzo Nibali but lost 1.30 to him and lost the race lead on the final day.

Chris Froome is generally very reliable and the 34km Time Trial will be a chance for him to gain a lot of time on Yates.

The TT means that Tom Domoulin can't be ruled out either, he is the World Champ in the time trials so will take at least a minute off Yates in that.

My guess at tactics for the rest of the race will be the likes of Yates and Chaves along with Thibault Pinot, Fabio Aru and Domenico Pozzovivo will gang up on Froome and Domoulin and try to crack them on the steeper slopes that those two would like to just ride up at a steady pace.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-13-2018 at 07:07 AM.

What's the early look on the Tour de France? I know that's gotta be coming up soon.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Froome will be the one to beat, again. Just hard to back against him in a GT. That is if he is allowed to line up mind you. Porte and Quintana look to be in great condition. Porte probably is the main danger. Quintana hasn’t seemed to live up to the hype yet. Always fails for some reason. But having him, Landa and Valverde on the one team is going to make for great viewing. The Sky train and Froome will struggle to contain them I feel. He could get isolated with those three and they could toy with him. I’m quite excited for it to start.

If there was a time to beat Froome now is it he will still be recovering from the Giro and it is really tough to peak twice in a season as he will have to if he is to win the Tour.

That said he did just ride one of the most amazing Grand Tours ever to win the Giro and if anyone can win the double it is him.

I'd honestly say the exact opposite to you Heisenberg in relation to Porte and Quintana. For me Porte is the one who has never lived up to the hype, I don't actually think he has finished a grand tour in the top 10 whereas Quintana has two Grand Tour wins and a number of podiums. Quintana did not look great last year granted but that was coming off a tough Giro D'Italia campaign and in the Tour de Suisse he just put Porte to the torch on a summit finish. Of course as an Aussie I will be cheering my little heart out for Porte but I am more realistic about him, he has the talent but has never been able to put it all together so I would honestly take a podium.

Don't count our Romain Bardet, though he has steadily improved and is targeting this Tour. He would be my outsider pick.

It is going to be a hell of a tour.

There is a huge part of me that wants Froome to win and then the organisers of the Vuelta should chuck everything at him to try to complete the treble in the one year. Many said the Giro/TDF double couldn’t be done anymore, as much as people may be sick of seeing Froome on top I hope he can make history.

Man, that stage win at the Giro where he ripped everyone’s hearts out was incredible. One of the best rides I’ve ever seen.

I’m probably a little harsh on Quintana in the grand scheme of things when I shouldn’t be as he is competing against Froome. Outside of him he competes well. It’s not like he is terrible, he’s an amazing rider. Easily top 5 in the world for a GT, but still needs to improve his TT. I don’t put much into what he did to Porte. I think Porte could have caught him if he wanted but he knows he has a TT coming up where he’s going to put time into Quintana so he rode smartly to only drop 22 seconds when he’s going to put more than that into Nairo. Which is why I have Porte above him for the TDF. Not only is there a TT but there is a TTT so Sky and BMC are going to put time into everyone. I think Porte would have made the podium last year if not for that sickening crash.

Will be interesting to see how the Yates brothers will go. Always get them confused but Adam should go well. Think Simon will struggle after that huge crack. They’ll be some more for you to cheer on as they ride for the Aussie team.

You seem like you're into it, any of you guys cyclists? Anyone done any actual races? I've heard they are pretty brutal, even at the decent amateur level.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Not into it that much! It is my go to thing though at the gym or at home. I can go to the gym and jump on the bike and just ride for hours. Same at home. Come TDF time I actually ride with them as weird as it sounds. Flat stages I just ride at my pace. Mountain stages the same but try to incline it to match them to a degree! Ha. I do versions of a “fun run” but on a bike for charity and things like that. I just find it a very relaxing thing to do where you can shut your mind off from everything.

TDF kicks off next weekend. My prediction for top 5 is:

1. Chris Froome
    2. Richie Porte
    3. Roman Bardet
    4. Nairo Quintana
    5. Mikel Landa

I think that could be more wishful thinking than actual chance of it happening but we will see how it washes up. I don't normally hold much love for Sky and their defensive style of riding but given how special it would be if Froome won I will actually be cheering for him. As I said before Porte is a guy who has all the tools but has never put it together. May this year be the year he does it! Finally it is a toss up between Quintana and Bardet and I have gone with the frenchman because he has a team fully behind him, as well have seen in years past Landa is a guy that is loyal to one man, himself and Landa's ambition will be the difference between the two pure climbers.

I’ll wait to see if Froome even bloody is allowed to line up before I give my top 5. The fight for 3-5 is going to be really tough.

Yeah he could get totally skittled.

I love how sometimes the minor placing fights just blow the race up and then effect the yellow jersey.

Froomey has been cleared! We can all rejoice now. Going to be a fantastic edition now he’s lining up for sure. The battle between him and Richie not to mention the three pronged attack of Movistar is going to be great viewing.

I don't have a whole lot of love for Sky or Froome really but I'm so happy for this result. The absolute last thing this sport needed was another multi-time winner with an asterisk against his name.

This Tour is going to be very fun.

Do we get your top 5 now Heisenberg?

I think it’ll be very cut and dry in the top 4. Just depends on the order. 5th will be tricky to pick.

1. Froome
    2. Porte
    3. Quintana
    4. Bardet
    5. Roglic

I could see 5th being between Dumoulin, Nibali, Fuglsang, Yates, Mollema and Roglic. But think the last three are the more likely.

I cannot wait for the cobble stage. The 2014 cobbled stage where Nibali blew up everyone is one of my favourite stages of all time.

I’ve been saying stages 9-12 are where the TDF is going to be won. Sure they might have longer climbs later in the Tour but you have the cobbles on stage 9 right before the rest day. You could lose the Tour right there. Not to mention they come out of the rest day into some really brutal mountain stages in 10-12. Not to mention SKY were out doing a recon of said stages just a few weeks ago. If Froome is feeling good I expect a big attack.

Wait, there's a stage with cobbles on it? I must've missed that these past couple of years. How long is the stretch over the cobbles? That sounds extremely painful....

It’s got 15 stretches of cobbles and think it’s just under 22km in total. So it’s going to be great, especially if we get rain. Could make it utter mayhem. As fun as these stages are it’s actually quite poor viewing wise as you have so many people everywhere and can’t have cameras on all the main guys if they get split, which will happen.

Time to bring in drone cameras then. One or two for each group on the road. Get on it, TdF organisers!

First stage done and it was mental!!!

Edit: So Froome, Porte and Yates officially lose 51 seconds to the leader. Quintana lost 1:12. There were clear splits at the end so they wouldn’t have lost those exact times to the people that matter but they lost time to people like Nibali, Landa, Bardet, Valverde, Tom, Roglic, Mollema, Zakarin, Uran, Kruijswijk. But Froome and Porte will get all that back in the ITT. So I guess that’s an advantage to all those other guys as they won’t be looking at a big deficit. But I think that’s the end of Quintana’s TDF. Can’t see him even making the podium. I’ll never be able to trust him in a TDF. Always seems to be something.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-07-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Did anyone else catch this stage? Absolute mental.

After yesterday's stage, and Nibali's tour ending crash, is it time that they somehow restrict access to the course for fans? I've always thought that the fans just have no restriction, either imposed or self-imposed, on what they think they can do in terms of getting on the road. And you'd have thought it was extremely off putting for the riders to have them so close, too.