Thread: How Dare You

How Dare You

My message is that we'll be watching you, but for how long?

This is all wrong. I shouldn't need to write this. I should be sat at my desk working hard, on the other side of the world. Yet you all come to us fans for hope. How dare you!

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your lazy writing and predictable product. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People donít know what it used to be like. We are in the beginning of a mass exodus, and all you can talk about is money, fairy tales of worldwide growth and new stars. How dare You!

For more than 50 years, the formula has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you're doing enough, when the new star power and fresh ideas are nowhere in sight.

You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be showing you think you know what we want, and ignoring us. And that, I refuse to believe.

The popular idea of buying up the best talent around and forcing them to adapt to your way, losing who they are and being something theyíre not, is failing. Those returning stars who take up the spotlight on big PPVís, may work for short term ticket sales, but long term, taking the spotlight and not trusting who you have invested time in, is failing, and at risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond your own company.

This may be acceptable to you. But those returning talents are failing to keep my generation around anymore, and if weíre sick of them, imagine what the next generation, who didnít grow up idolising these people, think. You rely on that generation to put in hundreds of millions of dollars in the next decade to survive.

So now, your product is simply not acceptable to us Ė we who have to live with the consequences of something we once loved being a shadow of itself.

How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just 'business as usual' and some technical solutions? With today's emerging competition, that blasť, lazy outlook will see you gone in 15 years.

There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with your share price, or viewing figures, because these numbers are too uncomfortable. And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

You are failing us Vince. But people young and old are starting to understand your betrayal and laziness. The eyes of all fans are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you. We will not let you get away with this.

Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.

Thank you.

BEAR--nice work, overall. By not identifying your audience you hooked me at the top, so that I had to read a few lines to figure out who you were addressing. It became fairly obvious it was the powers that be in WWE, Vince specifically, in pretty short order. Which begs the question--why not specifically identify the audience and some examples of your grievances early on? As this piece exists, it functions as a kind of heel promo--long on rage and hyperbole, short on something relatable (to me). For example "you have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your lazy writing and predictable product"? How did anybody steal your childhood? Do you mean WWE wasted their opportunity to give you the thrilling childhood an Attitude-era youngster like myself had? Or Hulkamania era folks before me. That's such an extreme statement, I'd love to see the backup behind that.

Alas, this isn't that kind of piece. This is a rallying cry, a promo, a revolutionary's speech. As such, it's pretty darn good. It's well written--the short paragraphs make it easy to follow. And I can feel your belief and passion.

Ultimately, I just disagree with the message of this piece. WWE has certainly not delivered the same level of entertainment they used to. I don't think it has anything to do with laziness, though. If anything, the promotion is doing so much more than ever to earn market share (and thus, money) that they can never be accused of laziness. So I can't conjure the same anger towards Vince that you've got here. I think he's just an old man who has somewhat lost the ability to read the marketplace, and just works harder creating solutions that don't fix his problems. Which is certainly frustrating as someone who wants a better product, but not a betrayal as I view it.

Love it man. Realised a few lines in what you were doing with the Greta Thunberg speech. Going back and comparing it is very interesting how you've not just captured the cadence of each bit and the standout lines but also the themes.

It certainly struck a chord with me, particularly with the line about them ignoring the audience.
    Last edited by SirSam; 09-26-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    The Night It Was Still Real To Me
    @Sir_Samuel

Transgender Terror
    I'm going to wipe my ass with your fur one of these days, Bear.

SO until I read SirSam's response I didn't know who Greta Thunberg is--my level of attention to current events is woefully inadequate. I quickly familiarized myself with her and the speech you're doing a takeoff on. Doesn't necessarily change my earlier comments, other than I have a better understanding of your piece's construction and, likely, intent. Gives me a deeper appreciation for what you're doing here--well done.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennycook Mills View Post
    SO until I read SirSam's response I didn't know who Greta Thunberg is
    I'm in exactly this same position. Never heard of her.

I read this yesterday, enjoyed it but was still mulling over a response. Now I know this is a parody of a speech I never heard, I probably can't respond with the appropriate knowledge of format etc, so will focus on the conclusion.

I certainly agree with the thought that Vince and WWE are not fully achieving their potential, however I don't necessarily believe it's wholly their fault. The biggest issue is, and will continue to be, the amount of content they are having to put out each week. I don't care how good you are, it's not possible to consistently create at least 8 hours of programming each week without it becoming stale in some way. For this I blame the television companies for constantly wanting more. That doesn't mean WWE is without blame, but they are effectively fighting a losing battle - attempting to draw more viewers at a time when people are moving away from regular scheduled programming is not a task I'd wish to be challenged with.
    FACT or FICTION: Which Promotion Dies? (And can NXT beat Raw/Smackdown?)
    PM me to get involved.

I wouldn't call it a parody so much as a repurpose and even a tribute (at least that is what I got from it). Worth looking up the original it really was quite the speech for a 16 year old. Very powerful stuff.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    The Night It Was Still Real To Me
    @Sir_Samuel

Bang on Sam.

Absolute repurpose.

Do I truly believe what Iím writing? Not really, as both Gary and Penny have pointed out, thereís plenty of other, bigger things wrong, but they didnít really fit into the narrative of the original speech. Glad Penny was able to call it a rally cry, because the original very much was so glad I was able to keep the messaging.

Actually quite surprised not everyone has heard of her by now, itís certainly been front page news this week.

I heard it and it rang a few bells for me, incidentally with a few posts Prime, and Plan have made lately.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Actually quite surprised not everyone has heard of her by now, it’s certainly been front page news this week.
    I rarely bother with news. Often think I should so I know what's going on in the world, but so little of it directly affects my own personal bubble I just can't be bothered.

Got to admit though, since seeing this column I've seen loads of references to it on social media.
    FACT or FICTION: Which Promotion Dies? (And can NXT beat Raw/Smackdown?)
    PM me to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    I'm going to wipe my ass with your fur one of these days, Bear.
    I'd pay good money to see this match. I say add Bear to the Iken vs TO match. Hair vs hair vs fur.

I look at WWE like a failing marriage- it's partially everyones fault. Including us.

A good one here, Bear.

I agree with both what you said an Mills response. WWE is becoming very predictable which comes across as laziness which could eventually lead to apathy (which I think is alot of fans' current state). But I also think that they are trying to put an effort into the problems. However, they're creating solutions to problems that do not exist. My point is, that I honestly feel like Vince does not know what the fuck the problem is. So jaded has Vince McMahon become in his old age that he can't see the problems that right in front of him.

Good rean, man. I think the difference between this and Greta is Greta is forced to live in the environment that our Nation's leaders allowed to be stunk up. WWE fans who hate it and stick around have Stockholm syndrome. They need to watch something else, and force WWE to improve. I have little stock in WWE. I watch it when I must and when I do, I try to enjoy it. I did get into the Fiend, but that match at Hell in a Cell set me back. So what do I do? I watch MLW. I watch AEW. I watch powerrr. I seek nothing but enjoyment in wrestling, and if I don't get it, I look elsewhere.

Good, thought provoking and creative piece. The sort of thing I'd expect from you. Nice job!
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge