Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AEW Dynamite

Tru tv got 121K for AEW

I feel this is roughly where things will sit going forward

We'll see. NXT has been losing an average of 129.6K viewers since their first week but they held viewers pretty well all things considered this week. It's impossible to say with AEW because this is only the first week with a drop; if they do the same as NXT then the drops would theoretically be less as time goes on. The problem is there's so little crossover between the two sides it seems that it doesn't appear either is affecting the others rating all that much, which makes it more difficult to judge. There's also baseball to consider as well for both (although I never really love using sports as an excuse for poor ratings).

I don’t really count sports except football. The drop isn’t massive enough to me and baseball is skewing Older and market specific

AEW is doubling NXT in the main demo and did as well last week which tells me that trend wont end even if they both keep dropping

It's pretty wild to me how AEW's audience skews so young while NXT's average audience is about 55 years old. 55! That definitely explains why AEW is more popular on social media, although I'm struggling to figure out just why NXT, which is supposed to be drawing in younger viewers, is having such trouble.

They only way I could explain it is that the overall WWE brand is going older and the NXT fans that are younger are watching AEW instead, live. I wouldn't think the old WWE fan would like NXT though.

The Brain
    Really loved the show overall, I'm not a Young Bucks guy but the first match blew away my expectations. It was fast paced but they also built up the intensity perfectly, and every nearfall felt like it mattered a whole lot. The post match main event stuff was just beautiful to me, love a wrestling angle involving a whole bunch of parties who all have slightly different stakes. Bring on the eventual War Games match.

I noticed a couple people saying the Jericho promo stuff about Dusty was lazy or forced. I kind of get that viewpoint, but the whole appeal of Jericho's character to me is he's this unstable rockstar who is haphazardly riding the line between brilliant success and collapsing into a heap of failure at any moment. I thought it fit his character to be throwing out casually nasty comments like that. He didn't say Dusty was in hell or something, he just called him a jerk, which was actually not an unheard of feeling about Dusty in the industry before he returned to beloved status over the past several years (deservedly so in my opinion, but even so). I hope they don't go to the Dusty well too much, but it didn't bother me a bit when it come up here because it wasn't overboard and felt like it fit the situation.

I did check out that promo because of the hype (and because my issues have nothing to do with Jericho) and I thought you'd have been much more bothered by the bit where he said Hager's undefeated MMA record was a shoot, and that made him tougher than everyone in AEW.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    That actually did bug me, far more than anything else he said! I liked the rest of the promo enough to overlook it but I hope Jericho drops comments like that one.

That was the only part of the promo I thought was off too, and you could notice the crowd thought so as well because it got the worst reaction of anything he said. But beyond that I thought the whole thing was money. I don't know if it was the greatest promo ever like some are saying but for what it was trying to do it was a complete success.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I just finished watching this week's show and thought it was really solid overall.

The Young Bucks / Private Party match was a really awesome match and really set a good tone for the rest of the night. Who knew that having exciting matches to open a televised wrestling show would be so much fun? </sarcasm>

The Inner Circle / Jericho promo was great in the sense that it presented these guys as a force to be reckoned with. Last week I was a bit doubtful how it would play out since I really don't know much about anyone outside of Jericho and Hager and thought the other guys were kinda just thrown together for the hell of it. But the promo brought them together. I love it when there are strong stables and they're treated as such. I'm looking forward to seeing how this group evolves and what other stables come out of this.

The PAC / Moxley / Omega triangle is getting really interesting. These are all main event level guys and mixing them in a storyline is bound to bring some amazing stuff soon.

The women's match was alright, but something seems a little off to me. I think it's because they're trying to force Japanese styles with the American style for the women and it's not meshing well. Or maybe they just need to mix it up more with the likes of Awesome Kong and Nyla Rose. They have a talented female roster so I'm sure it'll improve.

I'm really enjoying what AEW has done so far. They've kept the crazy stuff that a lot of people expected to an absolute minimum and have been trying their best to highlight their strengths a lot.

I thought the worst thing about Jericho's promo was Sammy Guevara's bloody stupid haircut.

The Brain
    Sammy Guevara's incredibly punchable face and general vibe can only be an asset to him now that he's turned. Thank god they didn't try to keep him as a babyface.

He was never really a babyface on the roster ,they just Painted him as a blue chip athlete in vids

Its not a big issue but when you show the humN side of someome it can come off baby face
    Last edited by LK3185; 10-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.

I watch the BTE series on YouTube, and there Sammy Guevara is always presented as a huge two-faced asshole. That's how I always viewed his character. They had never really shown that on any of the AEW televised shows until now, I guess.

Yeah the BTE has him as two faced asshole, the road to vids there's one where he talks about how good he is and the match with Cody but it came off more honest. His matches in AEW he's always been the cocky heel.

The Brain
    Fair enough, I'll amend my statement to thank god they firmly committed to his asshole character onscreen!

Ha wasnt coming down on ya MF but just wasnt sure where you saw him portrayed as a face besides like one video

The Brain
    All good! I did in fact know they had the running gimmick on BTE where everyone hated Sammy, but I think it's important to commit to the role for the TV viewers since that's where they've got the most eyes.

Indeed that is very important, you can be human and still have selfish goals and be an asshole. I dont think the curtain needs to be pulled back so to speak where you want to root for every one

1,014M for AEW last night. .042 demo

712K for NXT .020 demo

A slight decrease for AEW, but over a million people watching is good. Also it's not as much of a decrease as NXT, which has lost almost to half its viewership since debuting on USA. Still, I do think it's kind of silly that people are comparing ratings, though. I get they're both wrestling shows on the same timeslot but they're comparing one company's main and only Cable TV show against another company's third and far less a priority compared to the other two. Oh well, it is what it is.

I finally got around to seeing this week's show and I thought it was another solid outing. I really dug most of the matches. SCU vs. Best Friends was another good opener. Jungle Boy and Marko Stunt vs. Lucha Bros. far exceeded what I thought it would be. PAC/Mox vs. Omega/Page was a fun mix to further a couple of storylines. Darby Allin looked great and Jericho made him look like a star. The in-ring work is pretty damn good and the matchups feel fresh to me, especially since we don't see the same cast every single week, so I'm really liking it.

It feels like the company is settling down and getting into a groove, and people look more comfortable in what they're doing.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Still, I do think it's kind of silly that people are comparing ratings, though. I get they're both wrestling shows on the same timeslot but they're comparing one company's main and only Cable TV show against another company's third and far less a priority compared to the other two. Oh well, it is what it is.
    I think part of it is that NXT has been touted as WWE's "best" brand by far for so long, and that fans who like AEW are the same fans who like NXT and vice versa. I think the data has shown that's not nearly so much the case as people originally thought, but the idea is still there.

I couldn't give 2 shits about ratings, and I don't understand why the discussion is so heated on many sites. But I get why it happens. It's veracity of the discussion that shocks me.

The Brain
    Absolutely, I'm rooting for AEW to win but I'm not out to attack NXT or get into fights with fans about how they want to look at the data.

I don't really care about the discussion but the fact is that good ratings,or at least what TNT is/was expecting are important for the survival of the company and by beating NXT week after week causes more tension behind the scenes for WWE, then so be it. I don't think it makes WWE better as its not 20 years ago and WWE is in a totally different place now

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    I couldn't give 2 shits about ratings, and I don't understand why the discussion is so heated on many sites. But I get why it happens. It's veracity of the discussion that shocks me.
    Brand warfare. It's been this way regarding fans of rival brands since the dawn of time. Coke vs. Pepsi, Nintendo vs. Sega, Burger King vs. McDonalds, WCW vs. WWE; the list goes on and on. You're always going to get extremists in the respective fan bases who think their side is the best, the other side is the worst and the push back is going to lead to heated exchanges across social media, Reddit and the works (it's especially bad on Reddit).

Frankly I think most of the back and forth just comes from the loudest minority of fans from each side. On the whole though I don't think there's any rational fan, media member or wrestler that wants the other side to fail. People may have rooting interests and such; like mizfan I definitely want AEW to do well and have little interest in what WWE puts out (although that would've been the case regardless). But I have no desire to RAW, Smackdown or NXT fail or get taken off TV because holy shit that would be disastrous for the entire industry. This is the thing the extremists on both sides fail to understand. If any one of AEW, WWE or even Impact or ROH goes a way then wrestlers lose a place to work, lose a place to make money and it becomes much harder to break through because there's only so many promotions available with so many slots. It's so pointless to root for something like that...and yet people will do it anyway because, whether it's brand loyalty, a dislike for certain people involved or what not, people have the pathological need to pick a side in this situation.

The other thing with ratings - and as others above say, I don't really care one way or the other about them - is that AEW airs once and that's it (well, I assume there are some repeats on TNT over a week, but regardless) whereas NXT is pretty much immediately available to watch on the Network straight after the show airs. So why not watch AEW live and then catch NXT on catch up?

I've said it elsewhere - I'm just glad to have four hours of wrestling shows I actually want to watch in a week now. That hasn't been the case for ages.

in the states, if you have a DVR you can record both and they do count those in overnight ratings later if you watch it off the DVR.. And I know AEW airs replays of some sort at random times.

They air Dynamite at 10pm Wednesdays, immediately after the initial airing.

NXT isn't uploaded for typically 2-3 days to the Network after it airs on USA.

Ratings matter. They matter to these companies, which causes them to change things if ratings aren't where they want them to be, which affects us fans.

Hoping WWE doesn't start filling up NXT with main roster rejects like Finn Balor soon, in hopes that it will spike ratings...

No worries there Kleck. The vastly overrated Finn Balor couldn't spike a football, let alone a rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    No worries there Kleck. The vastly overrated Finn Balor couldn't spike a football, let alone a rating.
    My worry is he is gonna crap up my NXT. Maybe AEW will take him? I believe Riho can beat him.

Riho would Goldberg squash him in 30 seconds. It be like that time Goldberg wiped La Parka off the face of the earth, minus the terrible leg injury Parka suffered because Riho isn't dangerous in the ring.

I'd actually believe her no selling Finn's offense. I mean it's just like 76 weak, half hearted Sling Blades in a row. If he were in Tyson's Punchout he would be Glass Joe.

AEW needs to avoid footage of Wardlow running. I know nothing about him and the vignette looked impressive until he started running.

I’m liking the Inner Circle as a group.

Having wrestlers make their entrance in split screen as commercials play is an interesting choice.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 10-23-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Not the best Dynamite. Honestly, might be the worst so far. None of the matches were to my liking, and other than the brawl, there wasn't much I would recommend to anyone to catch up on.

I thought it was easily the best episode they've done yet. The opener was unbelievable for someone like me, the other two tag matches were really strong, Omega vs. Janela was completely different from their great AEW Dark match and yet still really good, the main event was a really good match with an ending that worked (at least for me) and the Cody-Jericho angle was outstanding. The only weak parts were Britt Baker (again) and that weird angle with Brandi that I still don't understand. But other than that I felt it was an incredible episode, maybe even one of the best episodes of a wrestling TV show I've ever seen. My friend and I were on the phone for about 45 minutes during a stretch of the show and we couldn't stop marking out, we couldn't believe how great it was.

I thought the porridge was just right.

It wasnt the worst.
    It wasnt the best.
    Britt Baker must have amazing skills I'm missing. Maybe cause I'm not her boss?
    Opening match was real good. SCU match was match of the night for me, though Omega and Jannelly was fun. Pac and Moxley was good. I thought the Jericho/Inner Circle/Cody bit went on a bit too long, but it was a good segment. I loved Orange Cassidy. That boy has some huge value/potential with that gimmick- they really need to put him on 3 out of 4 shows a month. I'd say even weekly if they keep his segments fairly brief. Fans will love/eat it up. It wasn't a great episode, but it was a good one. And for a newer fan to pro wrestling that would have been a very enjoyable watch. So I think they did exactly what they needed to. They're still gonna lose ratings, partially because NBA season tipped off last night, but they won't lose much. Maybe 100k.

Definitely seems to be a divide out there from what I'm seeing - there's a big part of their crowd who think the show is going from strength to strength and are very vocal about that. But it seems that the people who are less in the hardcore and have 'given them a chance' are skewing more towards the show is getting worse.

Going to be interesting to see if AEW can ever serve those two masters simultaneously.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Which stems from an issue addressed in the summer, which is that AEW caters to a core audience alone. Nothing wrong with that, and it's currently not hurting them. But catering to a particular genre of fan, who are known for being fickle, is very dangerous. I predict AEW will change things at some point, but if they continue this way I suspect they'll see evidence of their limits it in the numbers.

This isn't to say AEW is bad, or Dynamite was bad. But it's forgettable like most WWE weekly TV.

I think AEW is catering to the audience that is sick of the WWE machine. AEW constantly make references to that. For instance, last night when Cody was trying to give an interview, and the Inner Circle was in their luxury box, Cody said, (and I'm paraphrasing here) "That this isn’t like the company they both came from, and there isn’t an invisible wall here, and I can easily step through the ropes and settle things right now."

AEW is catering to the fans that are tired of the WWE's idea of what professional wrestling is. At times the WWE insults the audience and not in a heel's promo type of way, where the WWE expects us to forget about wins and losses, story lines, and flip/flops of personalities, and much of the programming aimed at kids, all of the standard WWE nonsense. All of that is good for the WWE and it obviously works, but AEW is catering to a smaller fanbase, but much of these wrestlers are now getting their first dose of national exposure and this was only show 4, and it keeps getting better, and the fanbase will grow. you cannot make a huge promotion in a month, but fans will find it, and it will get bigger. AEW may never be the monster that the WWE is, but it does not have to be. It has to be an alternative where there are options.

I can truly only speak for me. And I have been a fan of wrestling for a long time. I was in my 20s when WCW boomed and it was so much fun to be a wrestling fan back then because of the competition. I believe that given time AEW will build up a big enough fanbase that will make Vince really take notice and change some things up. One of the ways that AEW can do this is to eventually ask to be moved to Monday nights and take on RAW like WCW did with Nitro. If AEW keeps making strides and eventually moves to Mondays, then it will truly be game on. AEW beating the niche audience of NXT fans is good for now, but beating RAW on a weekly basis will be a true test. When Nitro was beating RAW for almost 2 years, is when Vince finally said I need to do something different. I do not think that Vince is worrying that AEW is beating his developmental 3rd brand, but if/when AEW makes a day change and starts beating RAW, that is when things will happen.

So far in my opinion, AEW won the night for the 4th straight week. BUT the 4 stars of the night go to 1. Keith Lee once again, 2. The Lucha Bros, man are they fun, and 3. Rhea Ripley again. This girl I can see being another mega star, and she is only 23!.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.