Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: AEW Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    AEW is already having people talk about them, much more than WCW was in the early 90s.
    You're kidding right? It seems that way today because we have social media, but WCW was still a bigger company in 1992 than AEW is today.

The other thing to keep in mind is sustainability. I don't think AEW numbers will continue to drop, at least not to disastrous numbers. But no matter what Big Dave says, TNT won't be satisfied with their numbers for long. And buzz is slowing down. Again, it's not a disaster, and I don't think it's time to panic. But long term, it seems obvious that AEW is backing themselves into a corner. By limiting themselves to just a limited audience, and one that is consistently negative and fickle, it seems fair to argue that it'll be downhill from here unless changes can be made.

This isn't my rant on choreography or dumb gimmicks. Every promotion has these issues, even the ones I prefer. And most long term wrestling fans know that a true wrestling show has variety. MLW's PPV debut this past weekend was a success in large part due to the variety of matches and character gimmicks. I was much more impressive with MLW SuperFight than anything AEW has done, because even though they had a spot fest lucha match, and a garbage trash hardcore match, they also had a real wrestling (technical/scientific)match, and battle of hosses, a lightweight match, and a main event that was a bit of everything.

But AEW seems to be concentrating on one type of wrestling more than any other. It feels like because WWE has never really gotten it right with their cruiserweight division, AEW is capitalizing by mainly concentrating on their lightweight division, and that style of match up (spot/choreographed). I get wanting to offer something not found elsewhere in prime time, but by concentrating primarily on that in ring style, it does make a show harder to get through. (must I repeat, this is my opinion only).

AEW is offering a great show for alternatives to WWE. But what's often forgotten is that WWE is already extremely varied, so it's hard to be an alternative to them without either doing the same thing they are, or going to far in the opposite direction that it could potential turn people off. Like it or not, WWE is the standard. The measuring stick is WWE. This doesn't mean they have top quality (obviously!), but they are the comparison. And if any company is trying to "compete", they need to keep that in mind. So far. I dunno.

EDIT
    Adding to the "success" comment, I'm going to agree with Prime. Picture this: Is MLW a success? But if Tony Khan approached them and gave them a massive budget, and got them TNT prime time... would they be the same level of success?

This isn't to say that AEW is a failure. I would actually agree they are off to a great start, much like XFL were. But a year later, if they aren't in business anymore... would you say they were a success?
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 1 Week Ago at 05:13 PM.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    That was one hell of a promo by Cody. It's great to see some of these guys flourish when they're unshackled. Jericho's parody video package was pretty hilarious, too. Huge pop for the Virgil appearance. I wasn't really looking forward to this match but they've done a really good job setting it up. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Solid show this week, but they should consider making shorter matches. Every week there are a couple of matches that have no business going as long as they do.

Also, if they can relegate Dark Order to AEW Dark for the rest of their time there, I'd be okay with it. I just don't get them.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    Use that same logic to WWE. They've made it this far, there must not be any reason for them to change and improve then, right?
    Use that same logic again though- when you dont pick a target demographic to cater to, and instead pick all of them, you wind up with watered down shit like WWE main roster is, and has been, for over a decade now. It goes both ways. You just gotta consider if your chosen demo can sustain you.

On that note. I did not enjoy AEW last night. The main event was way too painfully telegraphed to the point where I thought about turning it off early, cause it was obvious Moxley and Pac would interfere. Not to mention Omega can be so telegraphed at times that it loses suspension of disbelief. The finish was waaaaay too convoluted.

The womens match was bad again. You could see them waiting for spots in moments, so obviously that I was cringing. And not just Riho. Her mentor spent so much time pandering to the audience in spots that it became absolutely unbelieveable that her opponent was still waiting for her offense to be delivered.

The Cody promo was great. The Jericho segment was hilarious. I enjoyed the tag match for 3rd place between Private Party and Dark Order. It was a great match (not sure why people think Dark Order is bad, in a sea of similar tag matches, they wrestle and are unique, and stand out. And are good wrestlers). And Orange Cassidy continues to steal my heart. Those little kicks on Pac was my moment of Zen.

The show overall though was a big dip in quality imo.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 1 Week Ago at 11:39 AM.

My Beautiful BastardPAC kicking Cassidy in his dumb face gives me so much hope that AEW might know what they're doing.

Also, Cody just cut the best promo I've seen in so long. A proper make me want to see a wrestling promo. It also made me desperately want him to win the title. Just god damn masterful.

Welcome back Chop. It's been a minute.

But when Pac kicked OC, I seriously thought that he really hurt him. OC's hands were still in his pockets, and Pac kicked him right in the face and it appeared that he shattered OC's sunglasses. Later when the camera panned, you saw OC holding his eye. Either that was really good consistent selling, or maybe he did get hurt. Either way it looked bad.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 07:44 PM.

Great selling. He was fine today when AEW posted a video of MJF kicking his seat on the plane while they were flying out.

Is The Bastard PAC the best wrestler in the world right now?

So glad he pulled out what I've always known as 'The Neville Sell' for that Tornado DDT.

Last edited by Oliver; 1 Week Ago at 06:59 AM.

I'm not watching alot of wrestling these days so not qualified to discuss best really. PAC seems to have every facet down just now though. Love his character work in AEW, easily my favourite part of Dynamite just now. He feels so clear in who he is and what his motivations are. Same reason why Codys promo was so effective, and got to love the War Games tease.

Also, cheers Powder. Interesting times in wrestling. Plenty to talk about!

Cassidy sold that kick like a champ. Must be tricky taking a bump with your hands in your pockets.
    Last edited by Mr Chop; 1 Week Ago at 11:17 AM.

There is going to come a time when Sir Orange takes the hands out of the pockets and people are going to see just how talented he is.

And Ollie, the best wrestler in the world right now is Jack Evans and he would be able to prove it if Kenny Omega wouldn't keep ducking him!

I've no doubt Orange is talented. I just don't like his schtick. So until he stops it, he gets kicked in the face by BASTARDS!

Not just any bastard, A DEVIOUS BASTARD!

I feel like the pop just for Cassidy removing his hands from his pockets could be enormous.

Just to point out, because I'm a mark for him, I thought Trent? did great stuff with PAC on Wednesday. I didn't think the show was as good as it has been, but the opener and Cody's promo were high points. Cody's promo might well be the first truly great Dynamite moment.

Oh for sure, there's an awesome future feud where Cassidy flips out and beats the shit out of someone.

Can't say enough about Codys promo. Felt it started slow but once he got rolling it was just....goosebumps. Watched it a few times since, it was just a masterful piece of work. I was very against him winning the title before, mostly for the slippery slope of the Elite putting all the Gold on themselves, but watching that promo made me forget all that shit. Essentially made me watch as a pure fan for a few minutes.

That is what I am really liking about AEW over the WWE. Not all the 'this is being treated like more of a sport', but that is good too, but the fact that Cody and the announcers are constantly referencing the Wrestling of the past, and not acting like it never happened, like the WWE does. Vince owns almost every wrestling library from the US out there. How hard would it be for him to watch some of it to get some ideas? Hell, just look to how HE used to build superstars. Through the midcard, not just thrust them into the Main Event. Wrestlers used to cut promos and not get constantly interrupted for obvious and forced confrontation.

Not only that, excluding NXT, RAW and Smackdown are a Sports Entertainment Program where the wrestling is secondary to the story and soap opera. NXT and AEW both have the story and feuds, but they both let the action speak louder than the microphone. Cutting Promos is important, and should always be there, but we do not always need 15-20 minute promo work or interviews, or talking. AEW and NXT focus more on the inring product and less on the entertainment side, which is why most of us prefer either or both shows to RAW and Smackdown.

Cody's amazing promo was less than 6 minutes. If it was Orton, Cena, HHH, Reigns, Rollins, etc, the promo would have dragged on for at least 10-15 minutes, and then someone would have come out. Did we get an Inner Circle run in? No. That is in no small part what made it great. It was not over shadowed by a run in or a brawl at the end of it. AEW saved that for later on in the night and allowed the promo to be amazing and to let the fans allow it to sink in.
    Last edited by Powder; 6 Days Ago at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Not only that, excluding NXT, RAW and Smackdown are a Sports Entertainment Program where the wrestling is secondary to the story and soap opera. NXT and AEW both have the story and feuds, but they both let the action speak louder than the microphone. Cutting Promos is important, and should always be there, but we do not always need 15-20 minute promo work or interviews, or talking. AEW and NXT focus more on the inring product and less on the entertainment side, which is why most of us prefer either or both shows to RAW and Smackdown.
    See, I have the complete opposite opinion of AEW, and to an extend NXT. I feel like there's too much in-ring wrestling. Too many multi-segment matches, too much in-ring and no promos. I would absolutely love for them to shave 5-10 minutes off of all of the in-ring on the shows and pepper in some pre-tapes or backstage interviews or video packages or something. Let some of these guys show off some personality. It doesn't have to be in the ring in front of the audience and it doesn't have to run multiple segments and an ad break, but tell me why I should give a flying fuck about Private Party or any of these teams/guys/girls that I've never heard of and don't see personality from. Shit, last week they had an interaction between Private Party and the Rock & Roll and it was during an ad break so I couldn't hear it!
    Cody's amazing promo was less than 6 minutes. If it was Orton, Cena, HHH, Reigns, Rollins, etc, the promo would have dragged on for at least 10-15 minutes, and then someone would have come out. Did we get an Inner Circle run in? No. That is in no small part what made it great. It was not over shadowed by a run in or a brawl at the end of it. AEW saved that for later on in the night and allowed the promo to be amazing and to let the fans allow it to sink in.
    Not everything needs a run-in or brawl, I'll give you that. But that does raise the question of why Chris Jericho would let Cody talk shit about him and call him a bitch with no response. If you can tell me that Jericho isn't there because he's preparing for the match, or JR speculating that Jericho might actually be afraid to fight Cody man-to-man, that's all I need.

But if you, Powder, are standing in a wrestling ring cutting a promo on me and call me a bitch, I'm going to have something to say about it if I'm in the building.

I would call you a Stupid Dick, just like Cody called Jericho. lol

However, I see your point, but I think that the weight of Cody's promo did not need a physical confrontation, and I thought it was better production to not have it.
    Last edited by Powder; 6 Days Ago at 01:15 PM.

I'm guessing you didn't watch this week Coach because the episode had all of that. In addition to the Cody promo and the Jericho video package (both of which were completely and utterly spectacular) you had a quick and to the point PAC promo, the Brandi Rhodes video package (which I believe is thankfully leading to Awesome Kong running rough shot with Brandi as her manager, not vice versa), a really strong Jon Moxley-Kenny Omega video package and then that great brawl at the end which played off all the big matches. I honestly thought it was the best paced show because they fit all that in, while also cutting out one match (Hikaru Shida vs. Big Swoll was supposed to be on Dynamite but got moved to Dark instead) so that everything would have time and the main event matches wouldn't be ending with two minutes to go.

Now that I think of it, AEW has basically had one can't miss segment per episode, at least for me. The first one had the Inner Circle formation to close the show and the surprise Jake Hager run in. The second week had Jericho's awesome promo and the end segment with Darby Allin skating down the ramp to attack Jericho. The fourth week had Cody bringing out Dustin, DDP and MJF to brawl with the Inner Circle in the seats. Last week had the Moxley promo and this week had Jericho's video and Cody's promo. The third week is the only one that didn't really have any of that, which is probably why I'd say it was the weakest of the shows thus far (while still being a really strong episode). But even if they aren't producing as many promo segments as people want, they are producing at least one you have to watch each week in my estimation, and this week did two, which shows they're probably going to continue to add as time goes on.

I honestly don't have that many complaints about this show outside of the women's division and a few nitpicks, and it appears the women's division is getting better now that they're adding Emi Sakura, Shanna, Shida and Jamie Hayter to the mix while sticking the greener women to Dark. I love the wrestling, I think the promos have been by in large great, I like how they've made younger guys important via the ring work; it's not as great as AAA has been this year for me but it otherwise has everything I want.

The Brain
    I popped for Chop showing up in this thread!!

Really feeling the hype for Cody vs. Jericho. Got a feeling it's going to be a killer story driven match, which is right up my alley in the same vein as Dustin/Cody. I think Full Gear looks like a fun card, looking forward to it!

That was a funny Orange Cassidy cameo.

The best thing about this show is that it will lead to Kleck's inevitable reaction. I am waiting with anticipation! Don't disappoint me Kleck.

See, obviously I'm very much Team OC here, so I loved that. I thought it was a little bit out of place given it being right in the middle of this heated brawl they were doing, and would kind of rather they'd just brawled past him in the corridor letting things go past him rather than stopped pretty much everything to let it happen, but I do think that this sort of thing is a pretty good way to use his character.

I certainly enjoyed it more than the forklift spot, which felt like it took five minutes to set up and then pull off.

The Brain
    Agree it would have been slightly better if the brawl had just continued, but it was a fun moment. Great way to use the character.

I looooooved it! I laughed so damn hard in that moment! It was ultimate ham! The only thing I didn't like was (Ortiz?) throwing his hands up in fear/backing out of the bathroom. I mean I kind of dug that, but he shouldnt be in on the joke in a heated moment. How do they top this? The next time someone goes under the ring to grab something OC is there in a Playgirl pose? OC is becoming mythical in my mind at this point.

The biggest thing that peeved me last night was them advertising Private Party versus Santana and Ortiz next week before the two teams had even walked to the back. Even JR paused and audibly refrained from commenting on it. It took me out of the moment hard.

It was a good show overall.

Edit: Darby accepting Moxleys challenge gave me chills. It was perfect.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 17 Hours Ago at 06:33 PM.

I still want a Fiend/OC match.

That Private Party/Proud N' Powerful announcement was definitely quick. It didn't take me out of the show or anything but it could've been saved till after the next commercial break.

That'll be a fun match though and a meaningful one outside of an AEW context. An independent wrestler named Matt Travis tragically passed away this past week; he was a regular at House of Glory wrestling in New York and was close with both Private Party and Proud N' Powerful (who both worked for the promotion in the past). The match will continue the Bucks-PNP story but it'll also be a low key tribute to Travis, which is pretty cool.

Day late and a dollar short with AEW, as ever - except for The OC content, because that's what I'm really here for.

This:

It’s almost like your parents got horny when they were watching me beat up Juventud Guerrera 25 years ago on WCW Saturday Night, and 9 months later your little twerp ass popped out.
    Is, first off, bloody excellent.

But also, it flags the one thing I have really, really enjoyed with AEW - it acknowledges that it doesn't exist within a bubble, and that professional wrestling, both on TNT and in general, has a lengthy history.

I think this week is the first week I've come out of Dynamite and thought they really structured the show well and didn't go overboard with the in ring action, allowing the show to build to the two main matches as actual attractions rather than having some OTT in ring 20 minute 'throw everything you've got at it' match to open the card, or in the middle of the first hour or whatever. I mean this in the nicest way it's possible to mean it - it felt like a classic Raw in terms of structure, save for the fact that a classic Raw structure would have had Jericho and MJF doing their promo up top rather than in the middle.

I know when we talk about the best talkers in the history of professional wrestling, we always mention Flair, Dusty, Heyman, Foley, Austin, the Rock, and Cena. But why do we always forget about Jericho?

Jericho has been able to get what, 7 different gimmicks? over just by being an amazing talker. Lionheart. Y2J, the Savior, the best in the World at What I Do Heel, the Guy who came in and didn't say a word gimmick, the Best Friend/scarf wearing List, and now the GOAT/Le Champion.

Jericho maybe onto something, that he could be considered the Greatest of All Time. Yes he was never the draw like Hogan, Austin or Flair. But besides Jericho, what wrestler has changed his persona so many times, and still be a main event player? Flair and Austin, once they were on top, they never really changed, Hogan obviously did, and the reverted back, but it still is 2 gimmicks. Jericho has never been the same gimmick twice and is still the top guy in the business.

Also, do not forget that he is an accomplished Rock Star for the past 20+ years AND still being a top guy. Hogan failed miserably at being a Hollywood guy, The Rock left, Cena left, Jericho has been on TV, Radio, touring with Fozzy, and still wrestles constantly.

I think Jericho will be one of those hipster picks for GOAT when things are all said and done. He won't be someone everyone puts in their top ten, but he'll certainly be in everyone's 11-20. In and around your Steamboats and Savages.

He'll never rank in with your Hogans, Rocks, Austins and their like simply due to the crossover nature of those guys, but he'll almost certainly be in mind for everyone who watches beyond that kind of passing interest level.
    Last edited by Oliver; 1 Hour Ago at 10:05 AM.