Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: AEW Dynamite

Man, is Billy still on the juice? He is 56 and looks amazing.

But you know what last night pointed out more than anything? That AEW's main problem is size, or lack of size for that matter.

Billy Gunn is listed at 6'3". That is tall, but not giant, but he towered over and was physically imposing to everyone in that Battle Royal. Billy Gunn...BILLY F'N GUNN, did the 'everyone pile onto the huge man in a battle royal and then he will power out of the spot thus forcing everyone to jump back'. you know the Andre/Big Show/Strowman thing. But Billy Gunn did that spot. That means that your roster has no one of real size.

Same for Moxley, he is listed at 6'2", 225lbs, and he is the biggest active guy on the roster (Hager is not 'active' yet, although Hager is 6'7")

EDIT: I totally forgot about LuchaSaurus, who is listed at 6'7" and 250ish, making him the biggest.

I know that pro-wrestling has been moving away from the 'larger than life characters', but it is very noticeable about the size difference between competitors. The Moxley/Allin match was fun and good, but as the announcers pointed out when Moxley just shoved off Allin's cross body off the top rope "that's what size allows you to do". Allin is billed at 5'8" and '180lbs' (sure, 180 soaking wet) and Moxley is 6'2" and 225 lbs. That is a huge size difference.

AEW will need to sign some bigger guys. Imagine if a guy like McIntyre, or Keith Lee, or hell, even Strowman came to AEW, who could really stop them? Or if the Viking Raiders came to AEW, they are both big men. They could literally catch any of the lucha style performers in mid air and throw them around the ring.

Rey vs Brock is a clear example of this, and the WWE has already realized that the match between Brock and Rey is not realistic, so they made it a No Hold's Barred/No DQ match so that Rey can use weapons to 'even the odds'. Weapons matter in a match like this, and will allow the suspension of disbelief to be more prevalent because if Rey hits Brock with a chair or a steel pipe, that is believable.
    Last edited by Powder; 7 Hours Ago at 11:39 AM.

No......

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I never thought of Bray Wyatt once watching that, but I haven't watched Bray Wyatt in nearly five years so that wouldn't have popped into my mind anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    That Dark Order segment was vastly different from Bray's stuff. The segment was shot exactly like an infomercial, but with the slightly dark undertones it was just perfection. Bray's stuff is just a delusional psychotic guy playing with dolls, who has dissociative Disorder. I'd say they are both great, and both very much unique.
    Thematically it was different, but its editing style and sound effects were the same with the glitchy video revealing other things and whatnot, or at least very similar. I would be shocked to find out they didn't use the same SFX and effects kits.

It's hard to call it a "ripoff", but it's definitely borrowing from something that they know their fans dig already, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not going to crap on that, just like I wouldn't crap on Ricochet using one of Fenix's big spots at Survivor Series. Wrestling exists and grows by stealing stuff and putting your own spin on it. But all I could think the whole time was Bray Wyatt.

At least it's some much needed character development for the guys. They gave me literally what I've been asking for since night one, so it's hard for me to complain. More of that for everyone, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Man, is Billy still on the juice? He is 56 and looks amazing.
    Yes.

I liked AEW more than NXT. I thought NXT was a trainwreck. Nick and Fenix had what might be the best Nick Jackson or LB match I've seen in AEW. There was selling, there was no extended cero miedo segment. Is it possible that this self indulgent flips and bumps for the sake of it comes from the older brothers?

I loved that they slowed it down a little, still hit some high spots, but didn't feel the need to throw everything out there. Plus, the idea that Nick was a little awkward and always trying to create separation because he has nobody to tag out to was great. I will say though that if you can't squat, don't do the Sharpshooter.

The women's match was pretty blah. Britt seemed a step or two off for some reason, and the other girl seemed like she sand bagged on a couple of the bigger throws. Maybe it's just two girls that don't work well together.

I don't think I'll ever like their battle royals which always seem to devolve into the type of comedy I hate from AEW.

They're giving Luchasaurus the rocket which is much needed. I just hope that doesn't make Jungle Boy and the child a full time tag team.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    No......
    So you see the same problem, it's ok to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    They're giving Luchasaurus the rocket which is much needed. I just hope that doesn't make Jungle Boy and the child a full time tag team.
    Yes they are, and they are protecting him by not having him wrestle yet. It must mean that his hamstring is not healed yet, but they want him on TV. Good for them.

But I remember Austin Matelson from Big Brother when he was on it. And It took a few years for at me at least, unsee the Miz as the MTv reality star, and I still have trouble separating the guy from BB from Luchasaurus.
    Last edited by Powder; 7 Hours Ago at 12:19 PM.

I must admit I'm surprised to see a lot of people so down on the NXT show across the internet. I didn't see it (obviously) but on paper it sounded like a strong show. Was it just because of the number of brawls?

As for AEW, that Moxley-Allin match...man. I think Fenix-Nick Jackson may have been better in a wrestling sense bell to bell but the highs of Allin-Moxley were far better. Everything in the last minute or so, from when Allin hits the Code Red to the Avalanche Paradigm Shift was perfect, especially that sequence where Mox caught Allin's Coffin Drop and turned it into a sleeper and Allin then did the Bret Hart-Roddy Piper spot to nearly steal it. It was so seamless in how it was done...fuck I loved it! More people need to talk about that match. That means you mizfan, get in here!

I must admit I'm surprised to see a lot of people so down on the NXT show across the internet. I didn't see it (obviously) but on paper it sounded like a strong show. Was it just because of the number of brawls?
    I didn't mind the brawls all that much, but the ladder match really annoyed me. The idea that the leader of UE would agree to a ladder match days before War Games with a title defense the next day (or more, that they'd book that match this week) turned me off of the whole match, and then I just spent it picking apart everything I hated about it.

Ricochet and Riddle was sloppy as all hell. It seemed like the perfect example of rushing to get all your shit in. They were moving a thousand miles an hour, so there were points where one would be obviously ahead of the other and have to slow down, or one would have to lay there on the mat waiting for the other, just a poor outing from the two.

Building to two back-to-back PPVs is too much. Coming out of it they still don't have one member of one War Games team announced, and they're not doing a "mystery partner" angle with it or anything, they just haven't announced it. Nor have they announced either NXT team for Survivor Series.

It was just a show with too much to do, and because of that I felt like it accomplished nothing.

Revival vs UE was off the charts good.

EDIT: Ciampa is the shining light in everything. Ignoring the "brand warfare" shit for a moment last night to get a few shots in on Cole, the guy he actually hates and wants to take the title from, was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    But you know what last night pointed out more than anything? That AEW's main problem is size, or lack of size for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    No......
    Yes. This isn't to say all fans need to see larger than life guys. I think the online mentality that everyone thinks the same pollutes more than helps, but there is still an unquestionable asset in wrestling with competitors with size. There's a reason action movies are marketed around muscles, there's a reason UFC/boxing cards harp on heavyweight matches whenever possible...etc.

This doesn't mean the smaller guys can't be stars, or that AEW can't survive without more heavyweights. But face facts, size matters to many fans, and unless the EVPs continue the line of not caring about casuals (AKA, growing your fanbase any way you can), they'll want to develop more hosses.

It's partly why Luchasaurus is so over, despite not wrestling recently. Obviously he can wrestle, but one of the reasons people are going nuts, and one of the reasons the rocket is strapped to him, is because the minute he steps into focus with the standard 5'10" height of the rest of the roster, he is an immediate threat. He could have the ability of Giant Gonzalez, and still be over right now (though he obviously wouldn't stay over).

NXT told a singular story for 2 hours: Invasion. There was only one match that was NXT vs NXT. So the show, despite having mostly great wrestling, felt like a slog to get through.

They had the chance with NXT vs NXT UK with Kai vs KLR, but the built in story of Kai losing her spot to Kay Lee Ray wasn't much of a factor.

So while I haven't watched Dynamite yet, I can see why NXT isn't rating as high. That said, all reviews I've seen rated them equally. It's only here that I'm reading sour responses to NXT.

That's what I thought as well, though there were a few other places I saw negative reviews, most of which were centered around the invasion. It feels like there's two camps; one that enjoyed the wrestling and thought that overwhelmed the invasion stuff enough, and one that enjoyed the wrestling but thought the invasion stuff was overkill. I can understand that; if you're someone who watches AEW, RAW, Smackdown and NXT there have been a lot of brawls lately. To then go from all those to several in this episode could be something that gets old quickly.

Also, the ladder match thing was a bad idea from the get go. They just did one last week! That's supposed to be a match you break out every few months. Doing it back to back weeks cheapens it.

Also, the ladder match thing was a bad idea from the get go. They just did one last week! That's supposed to be a match you break out every few months. Doing it back to back weeks cheapens it.
    Yes, but the men and women have to be equal.

But some are more equal than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Yes, but the men and women have to be equal.
    I think this statement would ring truer if the women hadn't had the match first last week. It's easier for me to believe given some of WWE's tendencies that this was less about them going "well if the men have a ladder match the women have to as well!" (or vice versa) and more that they were just putting big time gimmick matches together in order to try and top themselves and AEW.

Speaking of AEW, SOMEONE TALK TO ME ABOUT MOXLEY-ALLIN! Even if it's just to shit on it so I can then shit on you.

I haven't watched it yet, but that's because barring the Jericho/Hager apologizing promo, and Scorpio getting the title shot, this has been a very forgettable wrestling show.

I don't think that it was just trying to top themselves. The girls did the ladder match for War Games advantage last week, so it's very "WWE" for the men to do the exact same thing the next week. It's just some of that 50/50 stuff, combined with a lack of ideas.

The reason I don't think it was trying to top themselves is that it's not like it was done to pop a rating against AEW, it really meant nothing on the show. The most promoted things were Raw vs SD vs NXT and the tag match.

I think it was "the women did it last week and it was good, the men should get the same thing".

Speaking of AEW, SOMEONE TALK TO ME ABOUT MOXLEY-ALLIN! Even if it's just to shit on it so I can then shit on you.
    The match was more about Moxley selling to make a much smaller and less experienced daredevil look good. The match was good, and it was fun, but it was a huge let down after watching Moxley vs Omega. I know that you cannot constantly have hardcore matches. No one wants to see them all the time, and the perfromers physically cannot do them all the time. BUT the Moxley/Allin match to me was more unbelievable than the upcoming Rey vs Lesnar match, but at least the WWE is giving Rey weapons to counter the Beast.

Moxley went through hell with Omega and sold 'real violence' and took hell from a 6', 230lb, world renown wrestler. Then we had to suspend disbelief that Moxley was 'getting hurt' by Allin? Allin is 5'8", and listed at 180lbs, but he must have went to an all you can eat buffet, jumped into a pool fully clothed, and carried 10lbs of lead prior to the weigh in to get to 180lbs, which is where he loses his effectiveness. We are supposed to believe that Allin hurt Moxley after he landed on a barbed wire spiderweb, broken glass, got hung by a chain, went through tables etc, and then got up from all of that and pinned Omega and walked away. Please.

I respect what Allin does, and I think he has a huge future in wrestling, but he is just not imposing. Pac is short, but he is built and you believe his offense, hell most of the cruisers in WWE have muscle mass, and you can believe their offense as legit. But Allin is not imposing. He is a high flyer (but who isn't in AEW), who wears facepaint, and is fearless. All great qualities, but just not believable against a guy like Moxley.

The match was fun, but to me it was missing a lot.

I am an AEW supporter, but if they want to take things more seriously, and 'be more of a real sport', then have weight classes. Allin vs Jungle Boy. That is completely believable. Luchasaurus vs Moxley. Yes please. But Marko Stunt vs anyone? No. Allin vs Moxley, or Hager, of even Luchasaurus, no way.

My thing with size in wrestling is that I don’t care about believability or matches being realistic and i dont think a company should sign meatheads with no skill just to appease a section of an audience

However, I think now companies are looking at trying to find unique and diverse talent and its hard when other forms of entertainment or sport are looking for the same kind of natural talent... I mean Brock Lesnar comes along five years later and hes in UFC, would not even give WWE a sniff

There is bigger talent out there but its not like before where wrestlers would go into gold gyms and see a guy jacked on roids and tell them to come to a show