Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AEW Dynamite

Tru tv got 121K for AEW

I feel this is roughly where things will sit going forward

We'll see. NXT has been losing an average of 129.6K viewers since their first week but they held viewers pretty well all things considered this week. It's impossible to say with AEW because this is only the first week with a drop; if they do the same as NXT then the drops would theoretically be less as time goes on. The problem is there's so little crossover between the two sides it seems that it doesn't appear either is affecting the others rating all that much, which makes it more difficult to judge. There's also baseball to consider as well for both (although I never really love using sports as an excuse for poor ratings).

I don’t really count sports except football. The drop isn’t massive enough to me and baseball is skewing Older and market specific

AEW is doubling NXT in the main demo and did as well last week which tells me that trend wont end even if they both keep dropping

It's pretty wild to me how AEW's audience skews so young while NXT's average audience is about 55 years old. 55! That definitely explains why AEW is more popular on social media, although I'm struggling to figure out just why NXT, which is supposed to be drawing in younger viewers, is having such trouble.

They only way I could explain it is that the overall WWE brand is going older and the NXT fans that are younger are watching AEW instead, live. I wouldn't think the old WWE fan would like NXT though.

The Brain
    Really loved the show overall, I'm not a Young Bucks guy but the first match blew away my expectations. It was fast paced but they also built up the intensity perfectly, and every nearfall felt like it mattered a whole lot. The post match main event stuff was just beautiful to me, love a wrestling angle involving a whole bunch of parties who all have slightly different stakes. Bring on the eventual War Games match.

I noticed a couple people saying the Jericho promo stuff about Dusty was lazy or forced. I kind of get that viewpoint, but the whole appeal of Jericho's character to me is he's this unstable rockstar who is haphazardly riding the line between brilliant success and collapsing into a heap of failure at any moment. I thought it fit his character to be throwing out casually nasty comments like that. He didn't say Dusty was in hell or something, he just called him a jerk, which was actually not an unheard of feeling about Dusty in the industry before he returned to beloved status over the past several years (deservedly so in my opinion, but even so). I hope they don't go to the Dusty well too much, but it didn't bother me a bit when it come up here because it wasn't overboard and felt like it fit the situation.

I did check out that promo because of the hype (and because my issues have nothing to do with Jericho) and I thought you'd have been much more bothered by the bit where he said Hager's undefeated MMA record was a shoot, and that made him tougher than everyone in AEW.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    That actually did bug me, far more than anything else he said! I liked the rest of the promo enough to overlook it but I hope Jericho drops comments like that one.

That was the only part of the promo I thought was off too, and you could notice the crowd thought so as well because it got the worst reaction of anything he said. But beyond that I thought the whole thing was money. I don't know if it was the greatest promo ever like some are saying but for what it was trying to do it was a complete success.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I just finished watching this week's show and thought it was really solid overall.

The Young Bucks / Private Party match was a really awesome match and really set a good tone for the rest of the night. Who knew that having exciting matches to open a televised wrestling show would be so much fun? </sarcasm>

The Inner Circle / Jericho promo was great in the sense that it presented these guys as a force to be reckoned with. Last week I was a bit doubtful how it would play out since I really don't know much about anyone outside of Jericho and Hager and thought the other guys were kinda just thrown together for the hell of it. But the promo brought them together. I love it when there are strong stables and they're treated as such. I'm looking forward to seeing how this group evolves and what other stables come out of this.

The PAC / Moxley / Omega triangle is getting really interesting. These are all main event level guys and mixing them in a storyline is bound to bring some amazing stuff soon.

The women's match was alright, but something seems a little off to me. I think it's because they're trying to force Japanese styles with the American style for the women and it's not meshing well. Or maybe they just need to mix it up more with the likes of Awesome Kong and Nyla Rose. They have a talented female roster so I'm sure it'll improve.

I'm really enjoying what AEW has done so far. They've kept the crazy stuff that a lot of people expected to an absolute minimum and have been trying their best to highlight their strengths a lot.

I thought the worst thing about Jericho's promo was Sammy Guevara's bloody stupid haircut.

The Brain
    Sammy Guevara's incredibly punchable face and general vibe can only be an asset to him now that he's turned. Thank god they didn't try to keep him as a babyface.

He was never really a babyface on the roster ,they just Painted him as a blue chip athlete in vids

Its not a big issue but when you show the humN side of someome it can come off baby face
    Last edited by LK3185; 1 Week Ago at 01:42 PM.

I watch the BTE series on YouTube, and there Sammy Guevara is always presented as a huge two-faced asshole. That's how I always viewed his character. They had never really shown that on any of the AEW televised shows until now, I guess.

Yeah the BTE has him as two faced asshole, the road to vids there's one where he talks about how good he is and the match with Cody but it came off more honest. His matches in AEW he's always been the cocky heel.

The Brain
    Fair enough, I'll amend my statement to thank god they firmly committed to his asshole character onscreen!

Ha wasnt coming down on ya MF but just wasnt sure where you saw him portrayed as a face besides like one video

The Brain
    All good! I did in fact know they had the running gimmick on BTE where everyone hated Sammy, but I think it's important to commit to the role for the TV viewers since that's where they've got the most eyes.

Indeed that is very important, you can be human and still have selfish goals and be an asshole. I dont think the curtain needs to be pulled back so to speak where you want to root for every one

1,014M for AEW last night. .042 demo

712K for NXT .020 demo

A slight decrease for AEW, but over a million people watching is good. Also it's not as much of a decrease as NXT, which has lost almost to half its viewership since debuting on USA. Still, I do think it's kind of silly that people are comparing ratings, though. I get they're both wrestling shows on the same timeslot but they're comparing one company's main and only Cable TV show against another company's third and far less a priority compared to the other two. Oh well, it is what it is.

I finally got around to seeing this week's show and I thought it was another solid outing. I really dug most of the matches. SCU vs. Best Friends was another good opener. Jungle Boy and Marko Stunt vs. Lucha Bros. far exceeded what I thought it would be. PAC/Mox vs. Omega/Page was a fun mix to further a couple of storylines. Darby Allin looked great and Jericho made him look like a star. The in-ring work is pretty damn good and the matchups feel fresh to me, especially since we don't see the same cast every single week, so I'm really liking it.

It feels like the company is settling down and getting into a groove, and people look more comfortable in what they're doing.