Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: AEW Dynamite

Allie is in the same boat as the skinny one from Dark Order in that I don't buy her at all.

Some of it I think it a girl promo thing, but a lot of it I think is that this gimmick just isn't her. Her promo was just really heavily scripted and forced. I don't think that a lot of girls are really natural at promos, a lot are trying to act and it comes off like high school drama class.

I liked the old Allie.

Is Allie the Bunny?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Is Allie the Bunny?
    Yeah.

I won't shit on Jericho for his segment. I think he's a really good promo, I thought that it was definitely some fan service and real callbacks, but I mean to jump on it too much is sort of like John Fogerty being sued for plagiarizing himself.

It could be seen as a bad look when AEW seemingly won't stop referencing WWE and NXT (that stupid Britt Baker thing) but as a standalone segment I thought it was good.

If this Jericho character was in WWE and had done a segment where he brought back the list and referenced the Nitro segment, people would pop. It's fun to reference stuff you'd done in the past, it just so happens that like 25 years of Jericho's past were WCW and WWE. So I won't give him shit over that.

I will give them shit about Britt Baker, I will roll my eyes at that dumb commercial and I will point out that there hasn't been a single company that's been overly referential to the WWE product that's succeeded long term. WCW died within a decade, Impact is a shell of its former self, ECW is gone.

The Brain
    I liked the episode, particular the stellar Jericho and Cody promos, and I thought Statlander vs. Shida was great. I also liked Allie's promo, never really heard the idea that women aren't good promos before. I suppose they've had fewer opportunities to speak on big stages but I thought she and Brandi did well. Running two "join our evil group" segments on the same show was one too many though.

What Brandi was was doing was confusing. Hell even Cody acknowledged what his wife is doing is a little off.

At least in the terrible Dark Order segment, you completely understood the purpose. Finding the lonely, depressed, and disenfranchised and recruiting them like other cults do. Brandi was just like ‘join me or else’ and then a random ‘fan’ volunteers. In my opinion dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I also liked Allie's promo, never really heard the idea that women aren't good promos before.
    I's kind of a generalization that's been my personal experience.

I've noticed that in general women wrestlers tend to be a little wooden on their promos and it seems as though they use fewer contractions in their promos and more proper English, which tends to not be how people actually speak.

It's just something that I noticed. There's a lot of girls who are good promos, but a lot seem less natural. Almost like they're scripting something for themselves, even if it's in their own heads, before they start to speak and are trying to remember and recite it. There's a lot of dudes who do it, too, but it's just something I notice more in general with the girls.

Dudes it tends to be more a case of they've already thought up their gotcha zingers that are going to get that "ooo" from the crowd, so they don't bother to listen to what the other guy is saying because they've already decided what their next line is going to be.

I think it might be a symptom of people watching so many scripted promos for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Running two "join our evil group" segments on the same show was one too many though.
    Sounds like you're hitting the same notes as them, but that they were harder on it than you. Here's the first parapraph:

"AEW Dynamite aired a truly dismal episode filled with gothic overtones as The Nightmare Collective, The Dark Order, The Butcher and The Blade all appeared on the same broadcast with two of the aforementioned factions performing sacrifices. Yikes."

Must admit, I've heard similar takes on promos by women over the years. Looking at the people who've been in WWE or at that kind of level, the tendency seems to be a divide between those who get called 'bad' (Sasha, Bayley etc.) and those who are given more credit for being able to deliver in that style but who still sound very scripted and more like they are acting (Alexa Bliss, say). The one exception out of that grup has been Lynch, who I've seen praised more widely and which might explain why she's taken off in a way the others never have.

As for Allie, I watched it to see how different it was from the Allie in Impact. Definite bad horror movie vibes on that one. Though I suppose I've seen worse so if you're not asking someone to believe in it, to invest emotionally in it, then it'll do just fine to fill time I guess.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I actually think Alexa tends more than not to be a great promo. She is a tremendous heel.

The whole Brandi Rhodes thing was shit. I'm sorry, Brandi is very good looking, but an overall terrible wrestler, including on the mic.

I envy the dude in the bondage, cause he is married to Allie irl, and she is one of the absolute most beautiful women. I'm down with any angle that gives her TV time. She was actually pretty damn solid in TNA as well.

This episode was middle of the road. Though middle of the road is still light years better than RAW and Smackdown. So if you're a WWE fan you might want to consider that. I'd say Dynamite is a much better investment on time then either of those stinking, burning trash piles WWE puts out.

NXT is pretty much the top North American wrestling product. And honestly, people don't give NXT UK the love they deserve. They are much better than most would believe. That product has improved A LOT in the past couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    I actually think Alexa tends more than not to be a great promo. She is a tremendous heel.
    I think most people think she's one of the better people at the scripted style that is typical WWE fare, but they are still in that mould, nonetheless.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

MJF is only 23 years old, yet last night he cut one of the better promos of 2019. That kid can command the room, deliver a promo with emotion and passion. His promo did what every promo should do. He praised Cody's accomplishments and sold that Cody is who he says he is all while cutting him down as every heel should do. It was not one of HHH or Stephanie's 15 minute cut you down to size promos without ever giving you credit for who and what you are. MJF put on a clinic for every young wrestler.

Was the WWE ever interested in him? If not, then it may look like they missed a huge opportunity. Cody is right, MJF may very well be the future of the business.
    Last edited by Powder; 16 Minutes Ago at 08:45 AM.