Thread: Green Day

Green Day

Saw some mentions of them in other threads and they're obviously old standards by this point, so thought it worth sharing.

They've got a new album out early next year, and they've released a couple of tracks, 'Father of All/Fire, Ready, Aim', in support of that.

Sounds like quite a departure from what I'm used to from them, I must be honest.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Haven't heard the new stuff yet! I'm a pretty regular listener to a lot of their older stuff via Spotify though. Maybe it's overexposure but a lot of their bigger hits have slipped off my radar, particularly from American Idiot, but there are a lot of fairly poignant or invigorating songs I enjoy if you go deeper into their catalogue.

Used to listen to them a lot in my teenage years and early 20s. Mainly from the the Kerplunk to Insomniac albums, with a few songs from other places. Even though Warning and American Idiot came out during that timeframe I didn't really connect with either of them very much.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I heard the new songs they put on Spotify and it sounds really different. I still don't know what to make of it after a few listens. They're always looking for ways to do something different so it shouldn't be much of a shock. I'm looking forward to the entirety of the album to see what comes out of it, in any case.

I'm a huge Green Day fan and still listen to their entire discography on a regular basis. Ever since American Idiot, I've always questioned what the hell they were thinking when new material is released, but I inevitably end up digging it. My guess is that it'll be the same here.

Just listened to those songs, and... wow. If I randomly heard those on the radio, Iíd be like ďThese are really fun songs, I wonder who it is.Ē Never in a million years would I guess it was Green Day, and Iíd probably call someone a liar if they tried to convince me it was them. Iím wondering if Billy Joe messed up his throat... I canít recall ever hearing him use any kind of vocal effects like that.

Green Day's new album is out, titled Father of All Motherfuckers (or the more-censored Father of All... title where appropriate). It's a short one, spanning 10 songs for a total of about 26 minutes.

On my first listen, I honestly thought "What the hell happened to Green Day?". But just like I mentioned a couple of months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Ever since American Idiot, I've always questioned what the hell they were thinking when new material is released, but I inevitably end up digging it. My guess is that it'll be the same here.
    That's exactly what happened here. I've listened to the album a couple of more times throughout the week, and it's really grown on me. It has a lot of fun, catchy tunes.

I'll be seeing them live next month, so I'm really curious how these songs sound in a live setting.

The Brain
    I ended up really liking one of the songs they already released ("Fire Ready Aim", I think?) so I'll definitely give it a go. One of my favorite bands so I bet I'll find some more stuff I like a lot, no matter how different it is.

Speaking of, just listened to this one, one of my low key all time favorites:

That's a really great tune. The °Uno! / °Dos! / °Trť! trilogy of albums has a lot of really great Green Day songs that people seem to sleep on.

Now I'm curious, what are people's favorite songs from those three albums? My favorites for each one is:

- °Uno! - Stay The Night
    - °Dos! - Lazy Bones
    - °Trť! - Missing You

The Brain
    Now this is up my alley! I'm gonna go with:

Uno - Angel Blue
    Dos - Amy
    Tre - X-Kid

I don't think I've ever played them. Will have to have a listen and get back to you. As I said in the post above generally listened to stuff from the early to mid 1990s so be interesting to see if there's anything on them that shifts that.

Most of my Green Day listens are from their early albums even to this day. It took me a long time to kind of get into the groove of everything after American Idiot (not counting Warning, which also took me a long time to enjoy). So maybe you'll find it a bit difficult to get into these newer albums if that's what you're used to listening from them. But still give it a shot, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.

The Brain
    Just had a look over all the Green Day albums and I'm pretty sure I'd rank them like this, just based on how much I like them personally:

13. Kerplunk
    12. Shenanigans
    11. Revolution Radio
    10. 39/Smooth
    9. American Idiot
    8. 21st Century Breakdown
    7. Uno
    6. Tre
    5. Dos
    4. Insomniac
    3. Dookie
    2. Nimrod
    1. Warning

Not sure where the new one would rank yet.

I played Uno, and I think I agree with Deg that Stay the Night stood out on the first listen as the one I'd be most likely to play again. But honestly, I liked it generally more than I expected.

I don't know about ranking them all (mainly because I don't know much about the later ones), but I reckon that Kerplunk, Dookie and Insomniac would have to be up in and around the top three as they are the ones I am most likely to put on. Nimrod probably top 5, too. Warning is very hit and miss but some of it grew on me with time, so I guess it'd probably take a spot in the top 5 but is the one must vulnerable to a new record knocking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    But honestly, I liked it generally more than I expected.
    This has been my opinion for the past decade of new Green Day music.

Ooh, now I want to rank Green Day albums by my preferences:

13. Revolution Radio
    12. Shenanigans
    11. 39/Smooth
    10. °Tre!
    9. °Dos!
    8. °Uno!
    7. 21st Century Breakdown
    6. Kerplunk
    5. Warning
    4. Nimrod
    3. American Idiot
    2. Dookie
    1. Insomniac

Dookie is what got me hooked on them, but I love listening to Insomniac from top to bottom. Panic Song is my favorite Green Day song no one ever talks about and honestly one of my favorite songs period.

It's really tough rating the °Uno! °Dos! °Tre! trilogy since they're all among the same vein of music. You could probably merge a third of the songs from each into an album on its own and it would all fit perfectly. I just ordered them by release date. Still, °Uno! gets the edge because of personal nostalgia. That album was released a few days before my first trip to Japan and I spent a lot of my downtime in the country listening to it. It brings back nice memories.

As for Father Of All, I'd probably slot it now at #6. It's really growing on me. But that will fluctuate a lot. I think I'll spend the day listening to Kerplunk and Warning just to get it fresh in my mind.

Insomniac is so freaking good. The only skippable song on it is Brainstew, and itís not even because itís a bad song... it just got so played out for me that Iím kind of indifferent to it now.

The Brain
    I think there's only one song on Warning I don't listen to semi-regularly so I had to put it up top as my favorite top to bottom album. Could easily switch around the top ones though.

Iím really curious as to why you have American Idiot so low on your list, mizfan.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I think there's only one song on Warning I don't listen to semi-regularly
    By chance, is that song Misery? It's probably the only song on that album I don't mind skipping.

OK, so I didn't take to Dos at all. That left me very cold, if I'm honest. I'm not sure I have a favourite song but if you stuck a gun to my head... of the ones that I can sort of still hum a day later, I'd say that Ashley might be the pick. But it's very much a 'by default', that one.

Maybe it's one of those that, as a teenager, I'd have found the time to play it a bunch of times and the songs would grow on you, but nowadays I wonder when there's ever going to be the time to do that.

Hoping for more 'Uno' than 'Dos' when I get chance to check out 'Tre'.

The Brain
    I only listen to three songs regularly from American Idiot. Holiday was an early favorite and I still like it a lot, Jesus of Suburbia grew on me over time and now it's high on my list, and Letterbomb (though it's one of only two songs where I prefer the Broadway adaptation to the original). I was never that into the title track, and Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends used to be favorites but either due to my taste changing or simply being overplayed I don't really like either one that much anymore. The rest of the album I kind of glazed over I guess, nothing grabbed me after a couple listens so I never went back and looked too hard. Any great ones I didn't mention that I should give another chance to?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    By chance, is that song Misery? It's probably the only song on that album I don't mind skipping.
    Ding ding, that's it exactly!

mizfan- if you like Jesus Of Suburbia, give Homecoming a listen. Itís another long song (9ish minutes I think) thatís essentially a bunch of smaller songs strung together like Jesus Of Suburbia. Also, St Jimmy is one of my favs.
    Last edited by meandi; 5 Days Ago at 06:42 PM.

Got the chance to give Tre a listen this evening and got a lot more out of it than Dos - I'd say I probably liked about half the album, in the end. I'm not sure about a favourite track right off the bat - the two early contenders are X-Kid and A Little Boy Named Train, though Missing You, Sex, Drugs and Violence, and maybe 99 Revolutions are all ones I could see maybe making a late play if I were to give it another go.

Right now I'd plump for one of the first two I mentioned though.

Also thanks to this thread I went back to Shenanigans, which is as forgettable as collections of b-sides often are, but I forgot that tucked away on there is the one-original composition, Ha Ha You're Dead, which is an absolute banger: one I loved way back when and had forgotten about in the intervening years. Loving hearing that again!

The Brain
    LOVE X-Kid. Shenanigans is mostly skippable but I really like Suffocate and Sick of Me.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    mizfan- if you like Jesus Of Suburbia, give Homecoming a listen. It’s another long song (9ish minutes I think) that’s essentially a bunch of smaller songs strung together like Jesus Of Suburbia. Also, St Jimmy is one of my favs.
    I'll throw 'em both back on my playlist and see if they grab me this time!