Thread: Green Day

Green Day

Saw some mentions of them in other threads and they're obviously old standards by this point, so thought it worth sharing.

They've got a new album out early next year, and they've released a couple of tracks, 'Father of All/Fire, Ready, Aim', in support of that.

Sounds like quite a departure from what I'm used to from them, I must be honest.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Haven't heard the new stuff yet! I'm a pretty regular listener to a lot of their older stuff via Spotify though. Maybe it's overexposure but a lot of their bigger hits have slipped off my radar, particularly from American Idiot, but there are a lot of fairly poignant or invigorating songs I enjoy if you go deeper into their catalogue.

Used to listen to them a lot in my teenage years and early 20s. Mainly from the the Kerplunk to Insomniac albums, with a few songs from other places. Even though Warning and American Idiot came out during that timeframe I didn't really connect with either of them very much.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I heard the new songs they put on Spotify and it sounds really different. I still don't know what to make of it after a few listens. They're always looking for ways to do something different so it shouldn't be much of a shock. I'm looking forward to the entirety of the album to see what comes out of it, in any case.

I'm a huge Green Day fan and still listen to their entire discography on a regular basis. Ever since American Idiot, I've always questioned what the hell they were thinking when new material is released, but I inevitably end up digging it. My guess is that it'll be the same here.

Just listened to those songs, and... wow. If I randomly heard those on the radio, I’d be like “These are really fun songs, I wonder who it is.” Never in a million years would I guess it was Green Day, and I’d probably call someone a liar if they tried to convince me it was them. I’m wondering if Billy Joe messed up his throat... I can’t recall ever hearing him use any kind of vocal effects like that.

Green Day's new album is out, titled Father of All Motherfuckers (or the more-censored Father of All... title where appropriate). It's a short one, spanning 10 songs for a total of about 26 minutes.

On my first listen, I honestly thought "What the hell happened to Green Day?". But just like I mentioned a couple of months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Ever since American Idiot, I've always questioned what the hell they were thinking when new material is released, but I inevitably end up digging it. My guess is that it'll be the same here.
    That's exactly what happened here. I've listened to the album a couple of more times throughout the week, and it's really grown on me. It has a lot of fun, catchy tunes.

I'll be seeing them live next month, so I'm really curious how these songs sound in a live setting.

The Brain
    I ended up really liking one of the songs they already released ("Fire Ready Aim", I think?) so I'll definitely give it a go. One of my favorite bands so I bet I'll find some more stuff I like a lot, no matter how different it is.

Speaking of, just listened to this one, one of my low key all time favorites:

That's a really great tune. The ˇUno! / ˇDos! / ˇTré! trilogy of albums has a lot of really great Green Day songs that people seem to sleep on.

Now I'm curious, what are people's favorite songs from those three albums? My favorites for each one is:

- ˇUno! - Stay The Night
    - ˇDos! - Lazy Bones
    - ˇTré! - Missing You

The Brain
    Now this is up my alley! I'm gonna go with:

Uno - Angel Blue
    Dos - Amy
    Tre - X-Kid

I don't think I've ever played them. Will have to have a listen and get back to you. As I said in the post above generally listened to stuff from the early to mid 1990s so be interesting to see if there's anything on them that shifts that.

Most of my Green Day listens are from their early albums even to this day. It took me a long time to kind of get into the groove of everything after American Idiot (not counting Warning, which also took me a long time to enjoy). So maybe you'll find it a bit difficult to get into these newer albums if that's what you're used to listening from them. But still give it a shot, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.