Thread: In Ben's Brain

In Ben's Brain

Those of us who populate the CF know that Ben's brain can be a scary place, but it can also be a glorious place.

This is the thread to discuss Main Page columns by Ben Button ("In Ben's Brain")

The Brain
    Just read the first(?) column! Don't think anyone could sell me on the weird Jocephus thumb sucking moment, but apart from that I'm with you on the NWA creating music of a different and intriguing kind compared to most of what's out there right now.

I really liked the article. This, in particular: "we love the quirks." My FAVORITE part of watching the promo that kicked off the show last night was being able to guess at what was to come (whether right or wrong) based on the many (or few, depending) personality traits of the people speaking. I guessed Nick Aldis was setting the whole thing up in order to have a final card (he did); I guessed that James Storm would play checkers even with chess pieces (he did); I guessed that Eli Drake has a whole lot of something brewing beneath all those "thoughtful" chin scratches about the business of everyone around him (still to be determined). The lack of scripted promos and the ability of the folks controlling the ship to know the various aspects of their characters has, so far, hit the mark for me.

I like Ben's analysis about the lack of bells and whistles. I stopped playing many RPG games when I felt that it started being graphics over story/characters. Important: better graphics doesn't mean lack in characters/stories (that would ALTOGETHER be an old timer's bias), but is it easier to cover over a bad story with good graphics? Yes. Is it possible that focusing on one thing can reduce quality elsewhere? Sure. For me: I HAVEN'T EVEN NOTICED THE LACK OF THEME MUSIC. That's how little I care. But reading Ben made me realize that, whether NWA stays like this or not, to strip a company of all the things we take for granted (all the potential cover ups) leaves us only with the characters and story. What would be the fate of various companies if they were, tomorrow, stripped down to nothing but story and characters? It's interesting to ponder.

Ben's article was flowery, with the music metaphor, and here are a couple lines I liked: "Tim Storm played the violin to a venture of now or never" and "But let me tell you they played with a muse that could make an atheist believe in the soul."

^ Read those. Quirks. Story. Character. The End.

Also liked Sir Sam's comment: The success of it has been undeniable but I do wonder if the novelty will wear off down the line.

For people like me, it won't. If the story starts to lack, or the characters, or the feel, sure. But we're not going to simply tire of something we've been starving for for 20-30 years.

Again, it will come down to the parts left over after the cover is stripped off.

Thanks Shane and Mizfan for the kind feedback,

One thing I aske you guys to do is check out some old school territory wrestling, There's nothing wrong with getting down to the dna of what you are and NWA is doing just that! I feel lucky to be watching a show in my generation that's doing that!

Big fan of this show, folks. And there's a mountain of inspiration to flow from ingestion to fingertips!
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    You know I'll always watch classic studio and territory wrestling! My eye is always out for good stuff from any time or place.

Im with you, Mizfan. Between Jericho, Cody, Tony, and JR in AEW and Powerrr, and some occasional mlw Im in a good place with wrestling when I watch it.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge