Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Since we are closer to the Rumble....

Most recent predictions:

Men's Rumble: Reigns wins, but McIntyre eliminates Lesnar setting up their Mania match.

Women's Rumble: Still going with a Rousey 'surprise to no one' return, and winning to face Becky.

I'm going to make three predictions for each.

Men's: Roman Reigns, Drew Macyntire or Kevin Owens
    Women's: Lacey Evans, Ronda Rousey, Shayna Bazler

I just read that Valasquez expects to be in the match, so you'd assume he'll be the one eliminating Brock if they're going to run Brock/Cain III at Mania.

The predicted card for the Rumble is:

Men's Rumble
    Women's Rumble
    Bryan vs The Fiend
    Becky vs Asuka
    Reigns vs Corbin
    Bayley vs Lacey Evans
    The New Day vs Miz and Morrison
    Strowman vs Nakamura
    Humberto vs Andrade

That is a lot of matches for a Royal Rumble PPV considering both Rumbles take anywhere from 60-85 minutes each.

By the time they put some of that on the pre-show (probably Humberto/Andrade, New Day/Dirt Sheet, and maybe even Strowman/Nakamura) they'll create some time. They had a seven match main card in 2019, for example, with nothing less than 10 minutes:

Asuka/Becky - 10:00
    Miz/Shane vs The Bar - 20:13
    Ronda/Sasha - 14:00
    Women's Rumble - 65:00
    Bryan/Styles - 35:24
    Brock/Finn - 21:00
    Men's Rumble - 61:00

We are less than a week away from the Rumble....

Anyone want to enter last minute guesses/predictions?

"The Real Man's Man" Steven Regal to finally go all the way to Wrestlemania.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I was actually hoping for late in the career Playboy Buddy Rose. (And yes I know he passed away, but the WWF missed something with this).

Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:29 AM.

Women's royal rumble: Ronda Rousey or Bazler
    Men's rumble: Kevin Owens or Roman Reigns

I really don't know about the women's rumble so I just threw these two out there.

I just read (I do not know who) had a prediction of Nia Jax winning the Women's Rumble.

That is actually not a bad prediction. No one on these forums had even considered her, in type. It also makes sense. If Rousey is not coming back, and if it is too soon to push Baszler, then Nia makes the most sense. Also there is so much history there. Without Nia breaking Becky's face, then she does not main event Mania last year.

So I will update my likelihood predictions:
    Rousey 50%
    Baszler 40%
    Jax 10%

For what it's worth, I've seen odds of 1/3 for Shayna to win and 1/2 on Roman. Nobody else is that short, although Brock is second favourite to go coast to coast, and Drew is third.

Charlotte and Ronda are the other two on the women's side.

I've seen Ronda described as both an obvious and a left field pick in some preview columns. Honestly, Ronda Vs Becky is fine but it's a year too late - we should have had that last year. And Asuka Vs Charlotte II. Shame we didn't.

Fucking Edge... wow. I wonder if this is a full time return a la Daniel Bryan, or if itíll just be random appearances.

Awesome show. Great stuff, top to bottom.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    This was one of the more enjoyable WWE shows I've seen in quite a while. Both Royal Rumble matches delivered, as did pretty much the rest of the card.

Charlotte winning the women's side of things isn't too much of a shock. She's one of the top, most recognizable females on the roster, and it serves them well to have her in the top women's match at Wrestlemania. My guess is that she'll face Becky, which isn't a new match but they always do well against each other.

McIntyre winning the men's Rumble was a total shock, and a much welcome one at that. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens. I liked the way the match was set up, giving Brock the first half for himself and having a lot of fun moments there. I also lost my mind when Edge came out. No matter how much it was rumored, it was a complete surprise. Dude looked good for someone who hadn't been on a televised match in almost nine years. An Edge vs. Randy Orton match at Wrestlemania would be pretty sweet.

By the way, the Otis / Mandy spot is now my favorite Rumble moment of all time. God Bless Otis.

I'm not surprised at all by Charlotte - it's a bit safe, but she has ready built issues with both Becky and Bayley, given their histories. I'd like to see them go with Charlotte vs Bayley into Mania, but Charlotte vs Becky is probably the choice. Part of me would like to see them run Becky/Charlotte and Bayley/Sasha as a double header main event to close the show, if they could work out a direction to take the second one in that works and forms a good story.

McIntyre was a favourite, but I'm quite surprised they did go with him as a winner. They honestly don't tend to pull out a 'new' main eventer winning the Rumble very often - Nakamura in 2018, but before that...Batista in 2005? A lot of the time recently the win has gone to someone who at least has some main event, or championship, history. McIntyre's only won the tag titles with Ziggler since returning to the main roster. It's a risk, but one that I think will pay off for WWE and give them a new main event player.

I also think they put the men's match together terrifically - they spent a while building up Brock, which was arguably unnecessary as we all know by now who he is and what he does, but they did it to let McIntyre knock him down. It seems clear that we're getting McIntyre/Brock for the title at Mania as a result, which should be a fun match.

Wish we'd seen a bit more of Riddle, and a longer Keith Lee/Brock Lesnar interaction. But minor quibbles aside I think it was really, really good.

My thoughts/reactions from the Rumble:

Pre-Show - Didn't watch, but nothing shocking there

Reigns vs Corbin. I know I started the 'The Surprisingly Not Awful Baron Corbin Thread' almost 2 years ago as at that point he was not awful. But now I just have lost interest in him. Yes, I know that he is probably the 1 true heel on the roster, where he does not even try to be a tweener, but he is just not main event level. All his promos feel like he is trying to remember his scripted lines, and his in ring work is ok. He is nothing to write home about, yet the WWE keeps pushing him. Hopefull he goes back to the midcard and stays there. Right guy won the match.

Women's Rumble. Wow, you can really tell that Beth Phoenix retired way too early. She has so much left in the tank, and honestly, as the match progressed I was hoping that she would win to face Becky, and have a few month title run. Also this match was 1 thing only, a spotlight on Bianca Belair, and she delivered. Future WWE Champion right there. As most of you know, I am not a Charlotte fan, and to me this was just the WWE checking off one more box on the resume of Charlotte. The only hope I have is that Charlotte challenges Bayley at Mania, because I have no desire to watch Becky vs Charlotte 250. P.S. Where was Sasha?

Evans vs Bayley. Meh. Right person won.

Fiend vs Bryan. This match goes to show that Daniel Bryan may very well be the best performer of all time. Yes, I said it. He is better than HBK and AJ. Bryan knows how to tell a story, use psychology, and has that ability to sell and make his opponents look amazing. Just look how he even sold the beating after the match. He also is one of the better promos of all time either as a face or a heel. He chose the strap and was not afraid to take the shots, and hit the Fiend. Now the match was not perfect, and it was what was, but Bryan made a not so good gimmick into the story. Bryan also made the Fiend look beatable. Correct outcome moving forward, but Bryan is that damn good.

Becky vs Asuka. The crowd was dead for this match. Nothing to write home about, but the right person won.

Men's Rumble. This was awesome. Lesnar eliminating everyone up until Ricochet was awesome. The crowd initially booed him, then started to cheer for it. Brilliant booking. The ending of McIntyre winning was perfect b/c he benefits the most from the win. Also, as the match progressed the crowd was against Reigns winning again, as I predicted. When McIntyre won, the crowd cheered 2 fold. 1 for him winning, and 2 for reigns NOT winning. EDGE! He looked great and I hope that this leads to Orton vs Edge at Mania.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:46 AM.

I'm surprised Sasha didn't turn up in the women's Rumble, too.

I think if one thing does come out of that match, it's that WWE is going to invest big time in both Shayna and Bianca. Neither of which is surprising. But they both got 8 eliminations in the match, and that feels pretty important.

Anybody know if Beth is OK? Seemed to be a pretty big cut on her head.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Anybody know if Beth is OK? Seemed to be a pretty big cut on her head.
    She's fine. You can see when the cut takes place, and she knew right away, and didn't seem out of it. It was a bad cut, but nothing concussion related from what I could see.

The menís rumble was really well booked. Brock decimating everyone was fun. Something I havenít seen mentioned is after Drew eliminates him, when he goes to eliminate Ricochet by flinging him over the top... he was still staring daggers through Brock the whole time. I thought that was a nice touch. And the emotion on Edgeís face when he came out and the people went crazy for him... I really thought he was gonna lose it right then and there before even making it into the ring.

McIntyre vs Lesnar will be a hoss match, but the difference is that both are big strong guys that can actually wrestle. So it probably will not be a slug fest or a Sioux Falls fest. It has the potential to be a well wrestled match. And my guess is that Lesnar eats 2-3 Claymores.

I don't think it'll be much different than Roman vs Brock. Fast banger of a match, which is a style I have come to love, and find severely lacking in all promotions.

That whole show was very fun.

I'd like to see Bayley vs Charlotte with an angle along the lines of Charlotte always having Bayley's number and Bayley being the fourth best NXT Horsewoman. Becky vs Shayna would be a fun match to build to.

I am over The Fiend. I really was hoping the Bryan would win. I nodded off during that match, and now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that I have done the same during all of his PPV matches. He's just not a compelling wrestler in this gimmick and I'd be just as happy to see it go away. At least they got rid of the red light and let him sell a little more (Bryan got a two count off of one finisher), he's just so fucking disinteresting.

There was a moment in that match last night where Daniel Bryan had a man in a leather mask in the Labelle Lock with the strap in his mouth when I thought to myself "I wonder what Ed Lewis or George Hackenschmidt would think if they could see this visual". Not really a commentary on where the business has gone, just a thought that I had.

I loved that strap over mask spot. But I also love the gimmick. WWE delivers the widest variety of wrestling styles, so I welcome the outlandish stuff when it's completely different from most other characters.

Eh, I quite liked Bryan vs Fiend - but I am predisposed to enjoy any Bryan match, so that's probably something to do with it.

I didn't like that it wasn't a 'tap the corners' strap match, though - I felt like that would have been a bit more interesting and given them something different, plus given Bryan better hope spots to aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    I loved that strap over mask spot. But I also love the gimmick. WWE delivers the widest variety of wrestling styles, so I welcome the outlandish stuff when it's completely different from most other characters.
    Oh yeah, it was just a moment when I realized that pro wrestling is really silly.

I just find The Fiend really boring. I actually liked the Miz match considerably more.

I loved Bryan's psychology, and the strap gimmick was a nice change of pace. So I preferred this over The Miz match.

I just loved yesterday's show. Even the things people are complaining about I enjoyed. Roman vs Corbin was a fun PG street fight with inventive spots, Lacey vs Bayley was just a solid old school style match that was likely Lacey's best effort so far.

The Roman/Corbin match wasnít that good. When the best spot of the match involves four guys that werenít even in the match while the actual competitors are off somewhere else... youíve got problems. I think there was potential for something better, but this particular match wasnít executed very well, in my opinion.

I thought that Lacey and Bayley put on a really good match. I haven't really watched full WWE shows other than NXT for a while, so maybe I'm not up to date, but this is a two week long program according to what they showed us? I only wish that they'd have had a little bit more push (maybe a pre-match vignette or something) to add just a bit more heat.

It had all the ingredients -- two more than capable workers, no matter what anyone will say about Evans; Evans' daughter and husband at ringside to add to emotion; a really strong heel champion -- but it just needed a little more time in the oven. Maybe just one or two big moments when it looks like Lacey has it and is definitely going to win the title with a cut to her excited family, just to add to the feeling at the end.

That said, I really enjoyed the match and it really is a personal nitpick.

No, Bayley and Lacey have been feuding for a little longer than that.

Yeah, I think their stuff has been simmering since Survivor Series, when Bayley was knocking the women's roster for losing at the show and got punched by Lacey.

I'm with Coach, though - I thought that was a really good little match. I find Lacey tries to do a bit too much at times, things that are perhaps a little bit beyond what she is capable of physically, but I also think she's slowly coming together. It's a shame that (like with Braun, I guess) we've had to watch that come together on the main roster so those initial feuds with Becky and Natalya will colour views for a while.

It's amazing to see the comparison between female wrestlers who've been chasing the dream of being a wrestler, and those who fell into it. Lacey has an It factor and true story most of the lifelong wrestlers can never match, but she's so green and lacking in the ring. I understand why they promoted her to main roster when they did, because she's a very unique talent that is perfect for WWE.

Would a tag team be the right move for her? She's got a future without a doubt, but need work. So putting her with a partner and learning the craft under the WWE main roster schedule might be the best way to go. COACH, I value your opinion on this, as an in-ring worker. Would a tag team be a better way to help her grow, or would the trial by fire method be better?

This is where Nattie is the perfect option for Lacey. they should have put Lacey into an extended feud with Nattie, so they do the house show circuit together, travel together, and Lacey can learn from one of the best.

Or put Lacey and Nattie into a tag team as you suggested for the same reasons that I said above.

Nattie IS that person on the roster who should be the person for whom all the younger, less experienced female talent should learn from.

I would agree, except they areo n separate rosters unfortunately.

A very easy thing to fix. Just have Nattie, who is not in any story on RAW, move over to SD and team with Lacey. Then place Nattie and Lacey into a tag feud with Fire and Desire to determine the #1 contender for the Women's tag titles. Then they can go into Mania and win the tag straps.

She will get the exposure, and a title, all while travelling the road with Nattie for the next 4-6 months.
    Last edited by Powder; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 AM.

They literally did an extended Natalya feud. They've had 7 or so televised matches, ending at Crown Jewel, from the start of July to October last year.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they tagged up against the Kabuki Warriors as well. A one off, though.

Seriously though, WWE has Sara Del Rey down at the PC. Get Lacey to do extra work there, if they're so concerned about her in ring performance. There's nobody better to learn from.

Is her in-ring that bad? I found it pretty good. She's not Charlotte, but nobody other than Charlotte is. There was one major hiccup on her springboard, but that could happen to literally anyone blown up at the end of a match.

Putting her in a tag team might be helpful, but there aren't too many women on the SmackDown roster hat stand out to me as incredible workers. They could put her on the house show loop with Sasha I guess, I don't view her as an amazing in-ring worker but she's experienced. Maybe a Nikki Cross or a house show program with someone like Riott when she's back?

I find her a decent worker. She's never going to be the number one top in-ring talent on the roster. But she's got character and other skills going for her to make up for it.

It's in no way bad, but it doesn't measure up to many of the top talents in the division. And while we can talk about shallow rosters, but the top of the womens division on all 3 rosters can deliver in the ring, with only Becky and Alexa being arguable exceptions. So Lacey likely should at least reach those levels, and she's not there yet.

Yeah, I don't think she's bad exactly - it's just not at the level that I believe someone at the top of the women's division should be based on the level of people who are/have been there.

I think the thing is that it doesn't look 'natural' for Lacey. It's like she's thinking through how to do the moves, where she has to be to take a move, before she does them. It's a bit...wooden, I guess? Nothing wrong with that, but there's perhaps a little bit of smoothness missing in her work that you get with the likes of Charlotte, Becky, Alexa et al.