Thread: TLC 2019

TLC 2019

Just saw on Twitter that next Monday is the go-home RAW for TLC 2019. That came up fast. No matches announced as yet.

Anyway, speculation and discussion here for the people inclined to watch it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Shit, really? Already? Wasn't Survivor Series only about two weeks ago?

I'm assuming the rumoured women's tag team TLC match of the Kabuki Warriors vs Flair & Lynch gets the final pieces of the puzzle in place next week, then.

Fiend vs Bryan (TLC?)
    Rollins/AOP vs Owens/Street Profits
    Bayley vs Lacey Evans (who they seem to be trying to turn face, for some reason)
    Reigns vs Corbin (Chairs match, I guess)
    Rey vs Ricochet vs Orton vs Styles (Ladder match, why the heck not)

Survivor Series - 24 November 2019
    TLC - 15 December 2019

Yep.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

TLC is next week and we still don't have any confirmed matches. Of course, we can guess what matches may take place, but still.

I'm not sure how much it matters now that PPV events are on the Network.

I mean, yes it matters if you want to entice new people to sign up, but I think that they recognize that there isn't much going to be on that card that's going to make people who aren't subscribers feel they need a subscription, and if you're home on a Sunday and paying $9.99 anyway, you're probably going to tune in.

I'm not sure how important that PPV model is anymore to WWE. I think they probably see Mania, Rumble and maybe SummerSlam as subscriber attractants in terms of events, otherwise they're probably hoping that the behind-the-scenes documentary content and things like the Broken Skull Sessions will make people want to pay that fee.

More than ever WWE is in that WCW-like position where the weekly TV show and the money that comes with it is more important than PPVs. The Network was supposed to revolutionize the company (and to an extent it has, when's the last time a non-WrestleMania PPV even had the potential of 1.7 million viewers?) but unless subscriber numbers begin to change drastically on a show-to-show basis I think we're at a point where the "Big Three" will be mega shows, and everything else they can announce cards for the week of.

They've found nearly the perfect revenue generation model. Cheap enough that you don't mind paying it monthly even if you're not a "heavy" user. But expensive enough that it's grossing ~$15 mil per month.

Does anyone know if the WWE pulls ratings off their own network? I know it really doesn’t matter since they already have your money. But if they can, I would bet that they want high ratings for any PPV event.

So it kind of matters that TLC is 3 weeks away from Survivor Series with only 2 matches kind of booked for it in Lashley bs Rusev and The Fiend Vs Bryan. We can speculate others, like Rollins/Ko vs AOP where we will get a full Rollins heel turn and Reigns vs Corbin.

But there is no desire or buzz around TLC to make people tune in.

Yes, I believe that they do pull numbers around what's watched on the Network. I believe last time I saw, live wrestling events were the most viewed thing.

Subscribers are what's important. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if it's being watched. PPV events are being viewed, by and large, by people who were already paying that $9.99 per month. On a PPV-by-PPV basis, that number doesn't seem to shift too drastically.

So, unless they don't advertise a card for TLC and see a significant drop in overall subscribers this month, that means they're doing something wrong. If announcing cards in advance showed an increase in Network subscribers as compared to months where they didn't, announcing cards far in advance would be done every single time. If Network subscribers had fallen off a cliff immediately following HIAC, it would likely make them reevaluate what they're doing with Rollins and The Fiend. But it didn't. Cheap enough not to notice, expensive enough to make a big difference with volume.

I think on some level, they're counting on the gimmick to sell the show over and above individual matches in sort of the same way they count on the brand to fill buildings moreso than individual talents.

In the end, people are going to watch the show and subscribe to their Network. WWE knows that, so they're going to put more of a focus on writing a weekly TV show than promoting what matches are coming up on the Pay Per View.

It's ass backwards, I agree totally. But their model allows for it. It would be totally different if they were trying to sell a $50 traditional PPV show every month.

It reminds me more of the mid-late 80s WWF, when the TV program would tell stories to build these somewhat special Saturday Night Main Events, which then built up only very few PPVs (1989 was when they moved up to 4 in a year).

It's not identical, but these in between PPVs feel less like the ones we saw in the Attitude Era, and closer to the In Your House era, or SNME.

As for subscriber cancellations, I wouldn't be surprised if they see that mostly after the big events. Obviously, due to people signing up just to see WrestleMania, and then cancel the sub. But also it's the big events that change the course of the entire company. There could be a 3 year subscriber who watches the Rumble, doesn't enjoy it, then decides they've stopped caring enough to sit through 2-3 more months for WM, and cut the cord there.

Anyways, about TLC specifically:
    Drew vs Randy
    Rey vs AJ vs Humberto vs Ricochet for the US title (ladders?)
    Bryan vs Fiend in some gimmick match (tables?)
    Owens vs Rollins
    Rusev vs Lashley (chairs?)
    Roman vs Corbin (TLC?)
    Womens tag title defense vs Charlotte and ??

Becky will be Charlotte's Partner.