Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania 36

But a non-finish at Wrestlemania? In a high profile title match? On any other PPV or a TV broadcast, sure, but not at Mania.

Usually those types of finishes, lead to a gimmick match, like a HIAC, Last Woman standing, falls count anywhere etc.

Sure. Why not? ‘Mania has a history of starting/continuing feuds as opposed to just being the culmination. HHH and Batista has two more matches after their first ‘Mania encounter culminating in a HIAC. (Granted, Batista did get the clean pin at ‘Mania, so that isn’t a perfect analogy.) Also, the Cena/Miz match from 27 had all kinds of ridiculousness thrown in there with The Rock’s involvement.

A lot of valid ideas and concerns. Honestly, it's all enough for me to think this isn't the direction they are going.

Rhea vs Charlotte was a personal dream match for mine when I watched Mae Young Classic 2. That "brutality" version of Rhea made an immediate Charlotte comparison on me. I was impressed her first year, but she's much better suited in leather and chains... hot damn.

But, I feel like if Charlotte is challenging the NXT champ, I want Shayna to regain the belt. I'm very hesitant to shock push a new star. Even when WM21 took place, Batista and Cena had months long stories to get them there. Shayna, if the shock push fails, she's in her late 30s already. Rhea is 23 or something. A lot less risk if Shayna stumbles. And I think it's better at this time for NXT and/or main roster with any possible result.

You also get the bonus option of getting Ronda in the mix if she's able.

Ah, what the hell... let Charlotte declare she wants all three champs in a four elimination match so she can be Charlotte 3 Belts. She can roll up Ripley while she has Becky in the figure 8. After both of those eliminations, she can finger poke of doom Bayley.

If it's not the main event (it won't be), would it be such a bad thing for Rhea to just pin Charlotte clean in the middle? Charlotte can afford the loss without losing any steam at all, and it would be a career-making moment for Rhea who has the potential to be their next major star. They could really take that moment to establish Rhea as 1c alongside Charlotte and Becky.

In the meantime, Charlotte might be able to bring more eyeballs to NXT for a few months and hopefully those people will want to stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Also, the Cena/Miz match from 27 had all kinds of ridiculousness thrown in there with The Rock’s involvement.
    It sure did, but the Miz did end up pinning Cena. It was no where near clean, but it ended in a pinfall, not a non-finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    If it's not the main event (it won't be), would it be such a bad thing for Rhea to just pin Charlotte clean in the middle? Charlotte can afford the loss without losing any steam at all, and it would be a career-making moment for Rhea who has the potential to be their next major star. They could really take that moment to establish Rhea as 1c alongside Charlotte and Becky.

In the meantime, Charlotte might be able to bring more eyeballs to NXT for a few months and hopefully those people will want to stick around.
    That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    but she's much better suited in leather and chains... hot damn.
    Seconded.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-31-2020 at 03:25 PM.

My point with the Cena/Miz match was just because it’s a high profile, main event championship match doesn’t mean there can’t be shenanigans involved. A non-finish would qualify as shenanigans.

Fair enough. But with all the savants on these forums...

Has there been non-finishes at a Wrestlemania in the past? Two folded question:

Main Events and then Non Main Events.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    No matter how the WWE chooses to set up Ripley vs Charlotte, who wins?

If Charlotte wins, does she then work Wednesdays? And a rematch with Ripley is inevitable, but most likely loses that rematch. Then whomever steps up, and finally beats her gets a huge push. But then does Charlotte return to RAW or SD?

If Ripley wins, then what would be the point of her staying on NXT? She just beat 'the best that the WWE has to offer'.

I love this idea, and the match and the build will be fun, but how do you handle either outcome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    If Charlotte wins, she works Wednesdays and just has a reign there. Might even just be a short one to transition the title, but there's a whole lot of 'new' stuff that Charlotte can do on NXT. Plus, whether you think they care or not, Charlotte could be a draw against AEW. You ultimately have someone take the title off Charlotte - perhaps Belair - and she can move back to whichever brand most needs her at that time. I would say Smackdown as, for me, it seems the blue brand misses a little bit of star power.

Ripley winning is simple - she comes out on Raw the next night as NXT Women's Champion and announces she's vacating. They've done this with Paige and Asuka in the past, so I don't think they would have a problem with that. Then NXT can kick off a tournament for the next champion.

I do think that Charlotte working slightly heelish during the Rumble, and certainly in her promo after the match, signals she won't be going after Bayley at this time and she'll be a heel going into Mania.
    How would that work when WWE wants to keep couples working on the same nights? Charlotte and Andrade are engaged. If Charlotte does challenge Rhea, I expect Rhea to retain for that reason.

Transgender Terror
    Fair enough. But with all the savants on these forums...

Has there been non-finishes at a Wrestlemania in the past? Two folded question:

Main Events and then Non Main Events.
    Yokozuna vs Luger

Owen/Bull Dog vs Mankind/Vader ended in a double count out at 13.

Daniel Bryan/Sheamus lumberjack match from 27 was a no contest.

Mankind vs Big Show and Kane vs HHH both from 15.

*Credit to Wikipedia for this info
    Last edited by meandi; 01-31-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Owen/Bull Dog vs Mankind/Vader ended in a double count out at 13.

Daniel Bryan/Sheamus lumberjack match from 27 was a no contest.

Mankind vs Big Show and Kane vs HHH both from 15.

*Credit to Wikipedia for this info
    I thought HHH vs Kane was ruled as Kane winning by DQ? Then again, what's what wikia says so probably not very credible.

I thought we were lumping dqs in as non-finishes since that’s how this conversation started.

But to answer your question, yes, Kane was declared the winner due to dq when Chyna attacked him. Everyone thought she was turning back face and re-joining HHH and DX only to be shocked when the two of them helped Shane McMahon beat X-Pac later that night, thus turning on DX and joining the Corporation.
    Last edited by meandi; 01-31-2020 at 05:43 PM.

So I just read a rumor that made me chuckle.

At the Wrestlemania main event of Lesnar vs McIntyre there will be a double turn, a la hart vs Austin. I chuckled because McIntyre has not even had a chance to explore this face run, and RAW is severely lacking in the main event face department. Also, with Lesnar being a part timer, I cannot see him as a face. His entire character plays directly into the heel dynamic. How can you play Lesnar as a face? Come in a write a wrong and then leave?

Main page is claiming ‘Taker vs AJ Styles is rumored to happen now. I suppose that would be a safe match for ‘Taker.

That would be a hell of a fun match, and I'll be AJ would be all over it. It's a match that's safe for Taker physically, but can still be spectacular and it would give AJ a super high profile match at Mania.

I’m trying to envision AJ reversing/countering the Hell’s Gate into the Calf Killer... that could be a cool visual depending on how fluid they could make it.

It's like 4 years too late, but probably better than anything else they've got planned for either of them, so sure, why not? Certainly has 'Sting/Taker 2015' vibes in that a lot of people are just gonna feel sad and wistful thinking 'why didn't we get this years ago, instead of now, when they're both past their primes?'

Brock vs McIntyre
    Charlotte vs Rhea Ripley

Not a bad start. Likely:
    Becky vs Shayna
    Edge vs Orton

Not a bad WrestleMania card so far!

Probably KO and Joe vs Rollins and Murphy
    Strowman vs Nakamura and/or Cesaro
    New Day vs ????
    Reigns vs Fiend
    AJ vs Taker
    Cena vs (yawn) Elias instead of Alestair Black

Cena vs (yawn) Elias instead of Alestair Black
    You do realize that Black and Elias are in the same position on the card. Midcard guys who haven't really broken out yet, but show lots of potential. Why is one a "yawn", and not the other? I prefer Black too, but Elias is a character that is well developed and over with the crowd, on the brand Cena is advertised for, AND has history from last year's Mania with Cena?

I like Elias. Heel or face, he is entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    You do realize that Black and Elias are in the same position on the card. Midcard guys who haven't really broken out yet, but show lots of potential. Why is one a "yawn", and not the other? I prefer Black too, but Elias is a character that is well developed and over with the crowd, on the brand Cena is advertised for, AND has history from last year's Mania with Cena?
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    I like Elias. Heel or face, he is entertaining.
    I have nothing against Elias, but I think having a midcard match against Cena will be wasted on Elias. He has been on the roster for a few years now and has interacted with many legends of the business before and gotten that rub, but it still does nothing for his ling term. No singles pushes, no title reigns, nothing. They guy is entertaining, and can have a nice career, but he, as of this typing has no upside. Unlike Alestair Black, who has so much potential. I see a win over Cena sling shotting Black into an upper midcard, or main event scene. Elias will probably lose and go no where once again.

I'm seeing a lot of AJ Styles hate online since this Taker match was speculated about. What's going on?

Is it just his age? Because he's still one of the smoothest wrestlers on the planet. He doesn't take as many bumps or risks as he did in 2009, but that just seems like him getting smarter than anything. I feel like the Styles of 2020 is the best version of him.

I'm not understanding the Styles hate.

I haven't read any hate, but he's been kind of boring lately. Maybe that's why?
    Or it could be like Powder's post above, and people expected something better, and then this doesn't meet their expectation, so they complain with "hate"?
    I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of AJ Styles hate online since this Taker match was speculated about. What's going on?

Is it just his age? Because he's still one of the smoothest wrestlers on the planet. He doesn't take as many bumps or risks as he did in 2009, but that just seems like him getting smarter than anything. I feel like the Styles of 2020 is the best version of him.

I'm not understanding the Styles hate.
    Totally agree with you on AJ; my comment was more about Taker than AJ, even though I realize I used the phrase 'both past their prime', which isn't really applicable to AJ. But after that Goldberg/Taker match, I am not exactly looking forward to this match, especially if Taker's body breaks down on him again.

I think AJ has wrestled really well, without having a REALLY good match, for a long time now. He's AJ Styles, though - he's never going to have something objectively bad in the ring. He seems to work a pretty 'safe' style and as such is a good opponent for someone like Taker, who likely needs a bit of walking through and for the other person to do the bulk of the work and do it well.

That said - I really wanted Black vs Taker. Like, really wanted it.

Elias vs Cena is something I'm really coming round to. On the surface it looks a bit of an odd choice, but the more I think about it the better it seems - it doesn't need to be flashy, it doesn't need to outstay it's welcome, and if Cena can bring his work trainers then it'll be at least decent. I'd like to see Elias win in the end but I'm not going to be super bummed if he doesn't.

So the main page is reporting that there are now two more matches that are 'locked in' for WM.

It looks like Cena vs. The Fiend and Reigns vs. Goldberg are locked in for WrestleMania 36 and won’t change.
    Those are pretty good Mania matches, and in my opinion a much better match for Cena than Elias. We will have to wait until the Saudi Show is over today to see if Cena vs the Fiend or Reigns vs Goldberg will be for the Universal Title.

Neither of those really bother me, but I really hope they do something to reference back to Cena/Wyatt at Mania originally.

I agree. And the rumor mill is also swirling that both matches could be for the Uni Title, but we have t wait until the show is over today to see which one.

Transgender Terror
    Edge vs Orton will be for the WWE Championship.

I know you are being you, but I think that Orton after Mania could be a really good feud for McIntyre. Orton is the top heel on the brand right now, and McIntyre will need a good heel to solidify his run and Orton can do that.

Transgender Terror
    Undertaker vs Styles will be for the Impact Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Undertaker vs Styles will be for the Impact Championship.
    Triple threat with Jordynne Grace.

So the WM36 card seems to be shaping up

Cena vs The Fiend
    Goldberg vs Reigns
    (one of those two for the Universal Title)
    McIntyre vs Lesnar
    AJ vs Taker
    Miz and Morrison vs The New day and probably the Uso's in a triple threat for the SD Tag Titles.
    KO vs Rollins OR KO and Joe vs Rollins and Murphy for the RAW Tag Titles (depends on what the WWE does with Joe)
    Humberto vs Andrade for the US Title
    Becky vs Sasha for the RWC
    Bayley vs Naomi for the SDWC
    Strowman vs Nakamura and or Cesaro for the IC Title
    Charlotte vs Ripley for the NXT Women's Title
    ARMBAR
    Women's Battle Royal

So far that is 13 matches...a long f'n card.

Those are your predictions, not exactly how WM is shaping up.

That said, not a bad card prediction. I really don't see that Strowman vs Nak/Cesaro match happening. That has pre-show written all over it, and even then I doubt it'll be on the WM card. I think Strowman will get a bigger spotlight than that. Unsure of Tyson Fury's availability, but that's where my mind goes.

Did you mean Becky vs Shayna?

It works for me.

Overall, I never enjoy the last minute February title changes to book Mania. Be it Goldberg beating Owens to defend against Brock, or Bray winning the chamber to defend against Orton... I might be too smark for my own good, but it plays out too scripted.

I mean, we're probably only here because we're a bit too small for our own good...

I don't personally get the idea of giving Goldberg the title again to lead in to Mania. And to be honest, I'm disappointed by it in the way I always will be by these shortsighted pre-Mania legend programs when they start to involve a title. But, it is what it is. Ultimately I feel bad for Wyatt, who busted his ass after losing his tag team with Hardy to come back in the best shape, developed two new personas which both got over, and continued to develop both of those characters whilst champion into something really cool.

I'm not saying this in a 'no part-timers ever' sort of way, but I really think more than anybody on the roster Wyatt deserved to go to Mania as the champion.

Your first mistake is "deserved." Online fans REALLY need to stop talking about deserved. I'm not saying Bray Wyatt hasn't worked his ass off, and it wouldn't be "fitting" (a better word, in my opinion) to be in the Mania main event. But, if the story is better going another direction, then it becomes more important for WWE to realize what story the fans deserve.

Now, this isn't my defending of the story, just that unless the story becomes about someone who deserves it (like Kofi last year), then deserving it isn't ever a factor. It's a made up idea.