Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Online fans forgetting everything that gets involved. They just picture a show they watch from home. But unlike Super Bowl, Wrestlemania truly is international. Lots of extra pressure from extra sources.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    But unlike Super Bowl, Wrestlemania truly is international. Lots of extra pressure from extra sources.
    That feels to me like a wrestling fan's judgement of the situation rather than one I recognise in my own country to be honest, because here I get the impression more people watch the SB (even if it's the only game they watch all year). I actually get the sense they are broadcast in about as many countries as each other, and unless I'm mistaken the audience for both is still weighted towards North America (possibly less so for Wrestlemania, but it's hard to tell since they've gone to the Network).

But yes, there's a lot of things to consider beyond just running a show. I don't envy them having to make these decisions, that's for damn sure.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    Online fans forgetting everything that gets involved. They just picture a show they watch from home. But unlike Super Bowl, Wrestlemania truly is international. Lots of extra pressure from extra sources.
    I think one of the factors as to why the 'last possible moment' is now rather than in, say, a fortnight, is that WWE appreciates there will be people who planned to travel from abroad and they want to give them time to sort themselves out. WWE cancelling should allow for them to refund things like travel packages in full (presumably those will be cancelled in conjunction with this, so that's easy to resolve). Event tickets should also be easily refundable from WWE. Flights/hotels etc are probably different - but the international travel bans will hopefully kick in to allow people to claim refunds for those too. Hopefully everyone who has paid out money can get that back in the most part, if not in full.

Prime, I understand the Super Bowl is aired in other countries and can be popular, but NFL doesn't aim to gather that audience. WWE travels the world, airs in more countries than NFL, reaches a higher audience thru social media, and therefore puts extra effort for Wrestlemania to be international. Every PPV, even the smaller ones, WWE shows the row of international announce teams. I think it's 8 live broadcast teams every show.

It might be a fan's perspective, but even if it is, it's based off WWEs output. They set those expectations, so I do believe there's expectation to follow through

I suppose my point was that if they air in roughly as many countries (the difference is I believe only about 3% of the total), and if there are international markets where the SB would be more popular than Wrestlemania, then they'd have the same claim to being international.

The WWE doing more to gather that audience wouldn't make it more international so far as I can see, so much as it would just mean the NFL had achieved the same thing with less cultivation and effort.

But this may be getting pedantic. I've got a sense of what you mean now, I think. WWE's various pressures weigh more heavily than anything outside the US is going to on the NFL.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Reading now that Orlando may shut down Mania at the PC (not sure of the reasoning why, probably because they're not allowed gatherings of 10 or more people from the CDC guidelines - although that then throws Raw/Smackdown into question) - meaning to meet their insurance policy WWE will have to look to mitigate damages by moving to another venue. And that they might target MSG in June.

So CM Punk had a Twitter exchange with someone yesterday (day before maybe?) about ‘Mania being held in an empty arena, and he said “At least Reigns can finally win the title and not be booed out of the building or have to hear my name chanted throughout the match.” (Paraphrased, of course) I got a good kick out of that.

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that in 2018 Samoa Joe was the heel attacking AJ Styles and bringing Style's wife and family into the feud, and Styles talked about how wrong it was to go after someone's family? Then less than 2 years later Styles is doing exactly that by going after Michelle McCool.

I know wrestling is cyclic, and people flip flop from heels to face and vice versa, but this angle with Styles going after Taker's wife, seems too close to the Samoa Joe feud, where Styles was in the position of the Undertaker. You would think that the WWE or at least AJ Styles would have come up with a different angle than the one he was just in with Joe.

In my experience with WWE the last couple of decades, it’s been insert two names here and use this formula. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t changed since I stopped watching it, but unless it has this should not surprise you.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Transgender Terror
    Mania has been broken up into two nights. Saturday and Sunday.

I really really like this move.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Mania has been broken up into two nights. Saturday and Sunday.

I really really like this move.
    Same here - I think doing the one super long show in front of an empty PC wouldn't have worked.

It's also going to be hosted by Gronk.

As I'm sure many have heard or figured out, it's like to keep the amount of people under the restrictions. I also wouldn't expect many extra matches to be added. No Battle Royals. The only match that could be added is the SD women's title, though I'm betting it won't.

There might be some good things that come of this. Maybe Mania will move to two days ongoing. A 91-hour WrestleMania like last year was way too much.

I know it is what he is supposed to say, but HHH implied that WM will be like nothing what we have seen. I bet that the WWE, though all of their means and entertainment experience will make it worth while.

All anybody can do is make the most of it. Maybe they could do two Wrestle Manias this year.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Financially, they almost have to. But when? Come fall, the NFL is using up these stadiums. Maybe they could look to the old NWA model of a Starrcade Tour.

They could do a number of "mini WrestleManias" in arenas for The Network.

I wonder if the need to recover some of the lost revenue will push WWE back to Pay Per View.

Remember the NFL has bye weeks, and if a team has an away game prior to or after its bye week, that could free up the Stadium for almost 3 weeks. Most teams also have a practice facility that is not the main stadium where the team can still practice without using its main field. For instance if the Arizona Cardinals have a home game on Sunday October 4, 2020, then their bye week is the next Sunday, October 11, 2020, and following the bye week they are away, that gives the WWE from Monday Oct 5 though Friday Oct 23 to hold a Wrestlemania type of event, so it can be accomplished during the NFL season.

So it is possible to use an NFL stadium during the NFL season. Not saying it would happen, but it is possible to do so. Besides, why wouldn't an owner want to get a huge multi-million dollar payday during the season?

Could they push SummerSlam into a stadium? Maybe move it from the Garden in Boston to the Gillette Stadium? I know nothing of the NFL, but doesn't it start in ~October - so the summer months might be free (unless the MLS teams are still playing and need it, I guess - I don't know where the New England Revolution play).

It would seem like the most simple shift is to get the big summer show into a stadium rather than try and run a 'second' Mania in the October months - especially as weather will be a bit of a concern around that time, so running an outside Mania might not be the best.

But a big summer show, sun shining down - why the heck not?

What a difference a mere week makes.

As for Summerslam stadium, no one knows anything. This is truly black swan event territory. This could be over in 1 month, 3 months, or 18 months. We have absolutely no idea on how the situation will look like in August, though given the flippant civilian and government response in North America and Europe, I don't have any confidence. Even Japan is facing immense pressure to cancel/postpone the Tokyo Olympics, and that's scheduled for July/August. The only honest response to all of this is 'no one knows, but the situation is extremely serious and uncertain.'

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Could they push SummerSlam into a stadium? Maybe move it from the Garden in Boston to the Gillette Stadium? I know nothing of the NFL, but doesn't it start in ~October - so the summer months might be free (unless the MLS teams are still playing and need it, I guess - I don't know where the New England Revolution play).

It would seem like the most simple shift is to get the big summer show into a stadium rather than try and run a 'second' Mania in the October months - especially as weather will be a bit of a concern around that time, so running an outside Mania might not be the best.

But a big summer show, sun shining down - why the heck not?
    SummerSlam in an NFL stadium would be actually harder to do, than during the regular season. The preseason starts in early August and the teams are constantly using their stadiums for media, personnel, and they have much more than their 50 man roster in camp. The preseason is actually more hectic for an NFL team than the regular season.

Having a 1 off concert is easy, but to run an almost 2 week long event (preparation, plus Axxess and the actual show) would be really hard. During the season, as I said, could be possible, but the preseason where the teams have more than the season roster, and constant use of the stadium is not.
    Last edited by Powder; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:59 AM.

So not only is Mania going to be crowd less - they're also going to Pre tape it in the next week or so.

Will spoilers not get out since there’s no fans? Hope the wrestlers don’t leak. Wonder if they’ll only have the people who need to know-know what happens for each match.

This is going to look like one of those Indy reunion show with washed nostalgia acts from 30 years ago right? When Bill and Taker make their non-entrance entrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    Will spoilers not get out since there’s no fans? Hope the wrestlers don’t leak. Wonder if they’ll only have the people who need to know-know what happens for each match.
    You've got to assume there will be a limited staff with NDAs signed on pain of contract termination or something.

From what I read:

Smackdown - two episodes were filmed on Saturday
    NXT - future episodes filmed on Sunday
    Raw - two episodes filmed today and tomorrow
    WrestleMania - filmed on Wednesday and Thursday

I'm assuming the theory is that if they do it all now in one batch, they are 'Covid-19 proof' should someone in a match get it. I wonder if someone like Roman, with his leukemia, is considered as being high risk - I don't know enough medical stuff to comment for sure, but I assume his immune system remains compromised even if everything's in remission?

Well, then, if they can keep from spoilers happening, there may be some benefit from editing these kinds of shows.

If no spoilers get released, it's proof to me that nothing Meltzer says about WWE has any credibility.

I would not be so sure to that. If the WWE is working with a skeleton crew, and only the talent for those specific matches being taped, I would say it is much easier to control leaks. Also I would not put it past Vince to have that limited staff sign NDAs as Oli said to prevent such leaks.

Having a trusted skeleton crew is much different from having hundreds of employees around on any given day.
    Last edited by Powder; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:53 PM.

Doesn't matter. The type of info he gets is supposedly from that inner circle. Such as booking decisions. You don't need to be part of that group to get the list of winners.

I guess it is a waiting game then...

Transgender Terror
    I already sent him the results.

Honestly, I think even if Meltzer did learn the results he'd be very disrespectful (at best) to release them ahead of time.

Vince was able to keep the Streak being ended from getting leaked, because only like 5 people knew about it (HHH, Vince, Taker, Brock, Heyman), and even the referee himself was not told. Even then the smart money knew what was up in that match the day of. Yeah you can prevent leaks by taking such extreme measures, but this is not really a practical thing to do for normal operations, with such a massive writing time, and the fact that the script is continuously being changed and lines being rehearsed/memorized the day of, especially in a changed wrestling landscape where the filler 3 hour TV show is more important to the company's finances than any PPV.
    Last edited by Alan; 1 Week Ago at 02:04 PM.

Rumor had it that not even Heyman knew and that his reaction when the pin fall was counted was legit genuine.

Man, I'm tempted to rewatch that now.

Main page is reporting that Roman Reigns is pulling out of Wrestlemania. Don't blame him, but what happens to the title? One way they could explain away his absense (to the casual fan) is to say someone attacked him off the air and that could set up his next feud when all of this is done. However, who to face Goldberg?

Transgender Terror
    Randy Orton

I went from being cold on that match to be being somewhat intrigued of how they’re going to play it off. Who can you put against Goldberg at the last minute? And can you keep the belt on Goldberg? We don’t know when this thing will end and he doesn’t have a lot of gas in the tank. I think Bray should get his win back.

It’ll probably be someone like Corbin unless they can pull off a quick surprise.

What’s Kevin Nash and Scott Hall up to nowadays?

Bray or Braun, if it's true