WWE Hall of Fame 2020

The main page just reported that the 2020 class of the Hall of Fame is being c-headlined by Batista and the nWo (consisting of Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Waltman).

No arguments from me here, with the exception of Waltman being a 2 time HOF inductee. Waltman was not the reason that the nWo succeeded or failed for that matter. He was brought in 5 months after Hall and Nash 'invaded" in May 1996, then when Hogan joined and christened the name of the nWo as a group in July, Waltman debuted in September 1996. Waltman was a cog in the wheel of the nWo, and then he was fired from WCW for apparent drug reasons. Even look at WM31 in the HHH vs Sting match, Waltman was not even part of the nWo that came to help out Sting.

Waltman deserves to be in the Hall as part of DX as he was a much more prominent member of that group. My guess is that Hall and Nash said that Waltman needed to go in with them.

The thing that also sucks is that Waltman is now being elected into the HOF in back to back years, while the Rock, Taker, Kane, and the Big Show are still not in.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Those four you mentioned still show up occasionally for matches, though, and I’m pretty sure once they’re all done for good, you’ll see them inducted. As far as Waltman, there could be a case for him being inducted individually. If I recall, he was one of the first small guys to really break out and be given time outside of tag teams or cruiserweight/light heavyweight divisions. His matches with Bret and Razor were kind of a big thing at the time, and it could’ve been the catalyst to people like Guerrero, Misterio, Jericho, etc being able to eventually break into the main event. Of course, I could be totally wrong about that.

I do not disagree that Waltman deserves to be in the Hall, just not twice, in successive years. On another page, I asked if Kofi would be given a single induction as well as part of the New Day. kofi has much more accolades than most of the people currently in the hall and yet the consensus was that Kofi will get in, but only as part of the New Day.

So what makes Waltman special that he gets 2? He was not integral to the nWo, but was integral in the DX Army.

Just as a comparison:
    Kofi: WWE Champion, 4x IC Champ, 3x US Champ, 9x Tag Champion and longest person to ever hold tage team gold.
    Waltman: X Division Champ, 2x WCW Cruiserweight Champ, WCW Tag Champ, 2x Euro Champ, 2x Light heavyweight Champ, 4x Tag Champ

Plus I know that the 4 I mentioned still will show up, but still. Waltman with 2 inductions before Kane a 100% WWF/E creation, or Big Show? And I have no idea to why the WWE has not inducted the Rock yet. he still makes appearances, but not matches.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-09-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Comparing Kofi and Waltman’s accolades is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes, Kofi has more titles, but title reigns isn’t why Waltman should be in on his own.

I believe that Kofi had a better singles career. Waltman's claim to fame was that he was a member of the Kliq and rode their coattails at first in the WWF, then with Hall and Nash in WCW, then back to HHH in the WWF again, then again with Hall and Nash in TNA, and then again with the HOF last year and this year.

What has Waltman really done on his own?

Again, I am not saying that he is not deserving of being inducted into the HOF, as he was inducted last year, but he most definitely should not be a 2x Hall of Famer. Once the nWo is inducted, look at the list of 2x Hall of Famers.

Ric Flair
    Shawn Michaels
    Booker T
    Kevin Nash
    Scott Hall
    Hulk Hogan
    Sean Waltman

HHH, Batista and Orton will eventually be added to that list as individuals (Batista this year) and eventually as part of Evolution thus then making making HHH and Flair 3x inductees.

Which of those is not like the other? Waltman. That is my point.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-09-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Waltman being a two time inductee without being inducted solo is hilarious to me, for some reason.

I kind of think it's a shame, really - he was probably one of the best midcard wrestlers WWF/E ever had, and was a master of the 5-7 minute match. The only guy I can think of that came close was D-Lo Brown. But I would be stunned if he gets a chance to go in solo now before they induct (for example) Flair for a third time, because it would look weird for Waltman to be the first and only three time inductee rather than one of the pillarstones of the company's history.

Waltman will never get a solo induction as he is already a 2x Inductee.

Flair will be the first 3x inductee whenever Evolution is Inducted, and then HHH will be the only other 3x inductee. No one else has their pedigrees (pun intended) to warrant a 3x induction. Flair and HHH are both part of 2 major stables with obvious impressive singles careers.

Waltman, as I stated was a prominent member of the DX Army which deserves a HOF induction, but he was just a member of the nWo. His membership in the nWo did not really make any difference, he was the sixth member after the group was well established and named, and then he did not do much as a member beside be part of the group attacks on people so I do not see why he is being inducted as part of the nWo. IMHO the nWo should be inducted as Hall, Nash, and Hogan and possibly Bischoff for creating it.

If the NWO is being inducted, Scott Norton, NWO Sting and Buff Bagwell should be in too. They were mainstays.

Very true, and they both did more for the Stable/faction than Waltman.

Norton was also responsible for the success of nWo Japan and he was the IWGP Champion as part of the nWo. Norton was much more relevant for the nWo than Waltman.

But the big difference is that Waltman is bosom buddies with Hall and Nash, while Norton isn't.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Actually, the reason is that Waltman was a bigger part of the NWO in the states. Because of his work in both promotions, he's a bigger star than Norton in the eyes of 95% of WWE and their fans.

Same for Bagwell. Or Anyone else who was ever in the NWO. They didn't crossover to WWE the way SeanPac did.

That said, it should only be the first 3.

Induct Dennis Rodman now!

I think it is a crime that Cyndi Lauper is still not in the Hall of Fame. She is arguably the one celebrity, non-wrestler, that put the WWF on the map in the 1980s. Her videos and her association with the WWF got the wrestlers main stream exposure via MTV. The WWF exploded in no small part due to Lauper. Without Lauper's association with the WWF, they might not have taken off as quickly and majorly.

I still am completely shocked that as every year passes, and she has still not been inducted. Drew Carey, Kid Rock, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Bob Uecker are all in, and they all did significantly less than Lauper.

You realize that's it's entirely possible she isn't interested, so that's why it hasn't happened?

It is a possibility, but if you were her, why would she say no? Her name has been associated with the WWF since 1984, so what would make now say no thanks? Again, it is possible, but I cannot fathom why.

It's like a $5,000 payday and she's selling out theatres and playing arenas still. Maybe the money isn't worth her time.

It would only be giving up a weekend, though.

Cyndi Lauper doing the HOF might mean giving up doing a more profitable concert for one weekend, but it at least gets her face on tv and in the news again, something that rarely happens for her anymore.

Don't blame her for not giving up a weekend. As for Waltman I read an article today that said he would refuse an individual induction.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

So, in addition to Batista and the nWo, it seems like the following might get inducted this year:

Jushin Tunder Liger
    British Bulldog
    The Bella Twins

It's kind of hard to argue with anybody on that list, and I love that they are inducting Liger. I'm sure people will have their issues with the Bellas being inducted, but in all honesty I'm not sure there's a great number of options for an annual female induction remaining. Miss Elizabeth, Sable, and Vickie Guerrero are the only three major names that spring to mind for me.

Unless they want to give Molly Holly the respect she damn well deserves, that is.

Transgender Terror
    Induct yer ma.

She fully deserves an induction. She's a saint.

I had a discussion with a guy about the Bellas last week when it was first circulated. He was dead set against it, because I think in his mind they represent everything that was wrong with the "Divas" division.

But, the truth is that they are major stars. They are the primary reason WWE has been able to break through to the mainstream reality TV market, and I'll bet the catalyst for a good chunk of their female fanbase today. On top of that, they were able to do anything in that company and fill absolutely any role, while still being able to anchor the division in-ring at one of its weakest times. But they aren't exactly slouches, proving on multiple occasions that they can hang with the "Women's Revolution" crop of girls when it comes to workrate.

The Bellas are underrated and underappreciated, and I've been flying their flag for years.

Is there a reason I don't know about that Ray Stevens isn't in yet?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Really good question. Pat Patterson could do the induction.

I wonder if he winds up as a Legacy induction.

Online fans think way too much about their own perspective. Bellas did not deliver anything special in the ring or on the mic, so to these fans, they were useless.

What they are obviously forgetting (on top of what COACH just mentioned) is that even if what they delivered was average, it was average in a sea of average. But they were consistent, worked hard to improve (Nikki definitely did), and made themselves stars. All in an era without NXT or the PC, so they grew from no experience to what they became all on TV. Other than Trish, I can't think of anyone who grew as impressively from that starting point. And that's forgetting how much effort they put in offscreen.

And, they did this from the scrutiny of the online wrestling fan. It's obvious that fans don't realize just how unfair their expectations are, and since social media, these fans had a more direct way to share these feelings. And, there's no denying that there's a decent sized segment of the online fanbase that are sexist, and likely haunted Brie and Nikki excessively compared to the hatred they had for someone like John Cena.

It's not that I'd include them in my version of a HoF, but I can certainly see why they are included in WWE's.

We may be getting a JBL induction this year.

That makes the class:

Batista
    nWo
    Bella Twins
    Jushin Thunder Liger
    British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith
    John Bradshaw Layfield

Do they have a "7th" inductee as the WWE usually does, or do the Bella Twins count as individuals as they were a team just as much as they were singles wrestlers?

Transgender Terror
    Induct Rock vs Cena I.

But Rock/Cena 2 was bigger, better and involved the title. Why not that one?

Transgender Terror
    Because it reminds me that they never booked the rubber match, and that pisses me off.

Touché

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Because it reminds me that they never booked the rubber match, and that pisses me off.
    Yet, T.O. Yet.

I'm OK with the Bellas going in. As I said, I don't think there are that many options and they're sort of in a corner whereby they have to induct a female wrestler/personality every year now.

They're important in the history that WWE likes to tell, which is what matters to WWE. It's revisionist to suggest they started the women's revolution, which WWE has tended to - arguably, in fact, they were the last remnants of the division from before the revolution itself, and needed to be moved on so we could get things like Ronda/Becky/Charlotte headlining Mania and so on. But it's WWE's HoF and being important in and too the WWE universe is as important as anything. Things like Total Divas were a Bella Twins idea, as well.