Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEW Revolution

AEW Revolution

The next AEW PPV is in February - late February - from Chicago. And it sold out in under an hour. Crowd expected is around 10,000, give or take. I hear it's tied in to a big comic convention that is in town on the same weekend?

No matches announced as yet, but of course we're still two months out.

Discussion of the event can go here....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Really hoping they circle back to the War Games match they were hinting at between the Elite and the Inner Circle. I could see them try to stretch out Moxley/Jericho that far instead but they could also have Mox win the title prior to the PPV and do a double main event. Feels like some good options on the table.

Looks like Jericho and Moxley was the first match announced.

The Brain
    It's been building for a while now and now it's official! Amazing that these guys had such a dud of a feud four years ago but now it feels like one of the hottest things we could see.

Add to that MJF vs Cody, Dustin vs Jake Hager (is this the latter's debut?), and Page and Omega defending the belts vs the winner's of a tag team battle royal....

The Brain
    Yup, Hager's in ring debut. I think they were very smart to hold off on him. I was not excited at all when he came in but he's actually been perfectly serviceable as the silent enforcer, plays very well to his strengths and hides his weaknesses. I'm sure he'll need to wrestle at times but I hope they don't take him too far out of that role.

I'd guess the Young Bucks are going to be the challengers for the tag title match. They'd done a lot to tease the dissension within the Elite and draw it out organically, looks like an ideal place for it all to explode.

At Revolution, I think that AEW has to put the title on Moxley, otherwise they have wasted Moxley. He has been their most popular guy not named Rhodes, and their most consistent performer. He is also the second biggest name on the roster, next to Jericho.

I think that if there is some more shenanigans where the Inner Circle keeps the title on Jericho, it could hurt AEW. With the significantly less amount of PPVs, Jericho and Moxley will not have as many title matches as they would in the WWE, so feuds would have to end at PPVs and not just keep going until the next one.

You can get away with it if you send Moxley off in another direction well enough. Quite what that'd be exactly, I've no idea - but then I'm not paid to come up with that stuff.

If they really want to distinguish themselves from the WWE they could always book it more like the way NJPW have booked the IWGP title. Give Jericho something like a two-year reign with the strap and only take it off him when people are fully and completely behind the next guy and there's a real, genuine wave of momentum. And then, if they are sensible, never put it on Jericho again. A big long reign as champion, ending with a huge title change that put a rocket on the back of the next guy, and that they never sullied by going back to it - that'd be a real iconic way to kick things off.

But who else on the AEW Roster is 'worthy' of a Moxley feud. In the 7 months of AEW, Moxley has feuded with their two top guys, Omega and Jericho. If they choose to not put the title on Moxley, then anyone else is a step down and a sort of burial of Moxley.

Assuming Moxley wins the title, then you have options of elevating someone to feud with Moxley, like Santana, or if MJF beats Cody outright. Other than that, I have no idea to whom would step up.

Further more, if Moxley loses, and they do not stretch this feud out, who would be next for Jericho? jericho has already feuded with Cody, and Cody 'can never challenge for the AEW title again'. moxley would have been beaten. Omega lost to Jericho for the title, and is on the verge of a feud with PAC and Page. so who else is there?

That's why I anticipated those comebacks by saying I'm not paid to come up with that stuff. It's possible to do it in theory, but I'm damned if I'd want to look at the roster and come up with something.

Truth is, though - that crowd probably cheers what you are doing no matter what, and Moxley isn't at a place right now where him winning the title moves the needle, so ultimately... I'm not sure it matters, other than taking away an opportunity to do a more meaningful transition down the line (if they can keep their powder dry).

Similar to the John Cena thread, Powder, you're restricting the options before they even take place. Moxley hasn't won or lost his title shot, and you're already claiming it's a waste if he doesn't win. It's the same argument we have over and over in countless threads, but you shut out ideas before they even happen. And as much as you'll say "history shows," there is no history here at all. AEW isn't WCW WWE NJPW...etc. We haven't seen how they'd book someone from a title loss, other than Adam Page, and goddamn that stuff is some of the best AEW content. So Moxley losing might end up being the best thing for his career.

Seriously, respectfully, don't shut out options before they take place. There is nothing more damaging in my opinion to the internet mindframe than restricting what does or does not work before things take place. Let the story unfold. Making such drastic statements like "Moxley is wasted if he doesn't win the title" is completely unfair to all involved.

I am not trying to restrict options, AEW has limited options. I am trying to think ahead in what they might do. I am looking to see what options are out there if the outcome of the Moxley/Jericho match goes either way.

If Jericho wins...who is there for him to face in the next feud for the AEW title that would make sense? In the past year, he would have beaten Omega for the AEW title, beaten Cody (the top babyface on the roster who cannot fight for the title again), and now Moxley. PAC is a heel, and it would not make sense to turn him face right now, but he could. Page and Omega as it looks to be will be involved in a major feud, and who else is there in the singles division that is main event ready?

If Moxley wins, he could move back into a feud with Pac after (hopefully) Pac beats Omega, or even MJF if he beats Cody.

The problem I see is that AEW does not have a large amount or strong main event level talent roster.

You may not be trying to restrict options, but that's what you are doing, nonetheless. In saying, definitely, that 'if this does not happen it will have been wasted', then you are not allowing for the fact that they can think of something that you can't. Who knows - they might be able to surprise you.

And y'know, in every healthy wrestling company I've ever seen - including WWE when it was good - they've been able to book guys who are up and coming or at the top of the midcard in title matches and have it work pretty well. So if AEW are for real, maybe they'll be able to go that route if Jericho is running out of guys who are 'main event ready' to face.

I really hope so, but who on the current AEW roster is on the up and coming list that are a step or two away from main event level? I know it takes time to properly build up the wrestlers, but who is there?

I do not see any of these current 'bigger' midcard names being anywhere near ready:
    Darby Allin
    Trent
    Chuck Taylor
    Jungle Boy
    Sammy Guevara
    and no way to Luchasaurus

I do see a few options though:
    Santana and maybe Scorpio Sky, but definitely MJF and Page.

But how am I limiting options? AEW is limiting them, unintentionally, by not having a deep roster. I know it takes time, but AEW is primarily focused on tag team wrestling, and they are not building up singles wrestlers. They should split some teams to build these guys up as individuals.
    Last edited by Powder; 02-25-2020 at 11:04 AM.

You are limiting options because you are saying 'if they don't do what I want, it will suck'. I can't say it any clearer than that. Wait and see if it'll suck, don't just decide it will based on your perception of people at this moment.

I mean on that list... you've said no way to Luchasaurus, but anyone with that kind of size advantage should be a threat anyway and if they can't book that then they should just go home. I've heard good things about the way Darby Allin is getting over, so I don't think you could completely rule that out.

Add that to the four you've mentioned, plus Omega, and you've got seven PPV opponents for Jericho. Given they only run them about once a quarter currently that's what, almost two years? Plenty of time to get other people up and running in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    You are limiting options because you are saying 'if they don't do what I want, it will suck'. I can't say it any clearer than that. Wait and see if it'll suck, don't just decide it will based on your perception of people at this moment.
    No where did I ever say anything to the likes of 'if they don't do what I want, it will suck'. Below is everything from the beginning of this conversation, that I started. and in eachpost all I commented on was that AEW has limited options to who is main event level for either Jericho or Moxley regardless of who wins.

I did say that AEW will have wasted Moxley if they do not put the title on him. That is not 'if they don't do what I want, it will suck', but making a statement on the misuse of a talent and build of Moxley on the AEW roster. Why spend almost a year leading up to Jericho vs Moxley including all of the courting of Moxely into the Inner Circle, and the subsequent spiking of his eye, only to have Moxley lose? It would be a waste. As you said that there are only about 4 PPVs a year for AEW, so they have to use PPVs as blow off matches to end feuds, unlike the WWE where they can extend feuds through multiple PPVs due to them having 13 PPVs per year.

So it is not 'if they don't do what I want, it will suck', it is more of commentary on bad booking and misusing a year of build and misuse of the talent of Moxley.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    At Revolution, I think that AEW has to put the title on Moxley, otherwise they have wasted Moxley. He has been their most popular guy not named Rhodes, and their most consistent performer. He is also the second biggest name on the roster, next to Jericho.

I think that if there is some more shenanigans where the Inner Circle keeps the title on Jericho, it could hurt AEW. With the significantly less amount of PPVs, Jericho and Moxley will not have as many title matches as they would in the WWE, so feuds would have to end at PPVs and not just keep going until the next one.
    But who else on the AEW Roster is 'worthy' of a Moxley feud. In the 7 months of AEW, Moxley has feuded with their two top guys, Omega and Jericho. If they choose to not put the title on Moxley, then anyone else is a step down and a sort of burial of Moxley.

Assuming Moxley wins the title, then you have options of elevating someone to feud with Moxley, like Santana, or if MJF beats Cody outright. Other than that, I have no idea to whom would step up.

Further more, if Moxley loses, and they do not stretch this feud out, who would be next for Jericho? jericho has already feuded with Cody, and Cody 'can never challenge for the AEW title again'. moxley would have been beaten. Omega lost to Jericho for the title, and is on the verge of a feud with PAC and Page. so who else is there?
    I am not trying to restrict options, AEW has limited options. I am trying to think ahead in what they might do. I am looking to see what options are out there if the outcome of the Moxley/Jericho match goes either way.

If Jericho wins...who is there for him to face in the next feud for the AEW title that would make sense? In the past year, he would have beaten Omega for the AEW title, beaten Cody (the top babyface on the roster who cannot fight for the title again), and now Moxley. PAC is a heel, and it would not make sense to turn him face right now, but he could. Page and Omega as it looks to be will be involved in a major feud, and who else is there in the singles division that is main event ready?

If Moxley wins, he could move back into a feud with Pac after (hopefully) Pac beats Omega, or even MJF if he beats Cody.

The problem I see is that AEW does not have a large amount or strong main event level talent roster.
    I really hope so, but who on the current AEW roster is on the up and coming list that are a step or two away from main event level? I know it takes time to properly build up the wrestlers, but who is there?

I do not see any of these current 'bigger' midcard names being anywhere near ready:
    Darby Allin
    Trent
    Chuck Taylor
    Jungle Boy
    Sammy Guevara
    and no way to Luchasaurus

I do see a few options though:
    Santana and maybe Scorpio Sky, but definitely MJF and Page.

But how am I limiting options? AEW is limiting them, unintentionally, by not having a deep roster. I know it takes time, but AEW is primarily focused on tag team wrestling, and they are not building up singles wrestlers. They should split some teams to build these guys up as individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I mean on that list... you've said no way to Luchasaurus, but anyone with that kind of size advantage should be a threat anyway and if they can't book that then they should just go home. I've heard good things about the way Darby Allin is getting over, so I don't think you could completely rule that out.

Add that to the four you've mentioned, plus Omega, and you've got seven PPV opponents for Jericho. Given they only run them about once a quarter currently that's what, almost two years? Plenty of time to get other people up and running in the meantime.
    Lucha is huge, and should be a threat to anyone, but he just cannot go in the ring. I know that guys with size usually rely on power moves, but whenever I have seen Lucha perform on AEW TV, he has not impressed me with anything he has done. He looks sloppy and slow, and telegraphs everything. I also have looked him up on youtube to see if I was missing something, but no, everything I have seen is the same. The impressive thing about him, is that he can do some aerial moves for a guy his size, but those are not that great either.
    The Butcher by comparison, who is also a big guy, looks smooth and intimidating. I just do not see a top singles run for Lucha, however he is only 34, but he needs a few more years of consistent ring work to improve before I see him with a top title anywhere.

So to sum up...AEW's main event talent are:
    Top tier: Jericho, Moxley, Cody (who cannot challenge for the title again so he kind of discounted) and I guess Omega.
    Second tier (still needs some build): Hangman Page and Santana
    Third Tier (needs even more build): MJF and Scorpio Sky, yet MJF could easily be placed anywhere, but I think it would be a mistake for him to hold the AEW title so soon, even as good as he is.

You may not have used those exact words, but that's the upshot of what you're saying. Whatever rationale you come up with, the gist is that they have one good option, and it is the one you have identified. That is exactly the same as do what I'm saying, or it'll suck - no matter how much you try and dress it up.

I tire of trying to explain this stuff to someone who clearly has no interest in listening.

Like I said Powder, you do this in so many conversations. It's why I bring up logic so often, because you don't have any if you can't see that you're indicating there is only one option for Moxley, and it's to win the title, or he's wasted. I truly can't see how you can't comprehend that your statement translates to "Mox wins or it sux." You then talk about how everyone else isn't right to win the title from Jericho, without letting AEW finish this story, nevermind tell whatever story might be next.

Now, had you come out and said "It feels like AEW booked themselves into a corner, and they need Moxley to win because I can't see what else they can do afterwards," our replies would have been so much different. But once you say "he's wasted", that's extremely restrictive and negative. That's indicating it sucks.

The Brain
    I remember some people (including me) worried about what Cody would do if he lost his first big shot against Jericho, but he's been involved in probably the hottest feud in the company since then, so it's true you can't rule out AEW pulling out something that's going to work exactly as intended. I do see what powder is saying about who would be the next big contender for Jericho, but I'll circle back to what I mentioned before insofar as there's a load of potential in some kind of War Games match between the Inner Circle and the Elite, which could easily involve or not involve all the fringe players they've already placed in that central feud. Rather than constantly being obsessed with the next PPV I think there's real value in concentrating on the TV product in the interim and, as we've seen before, Jericho is great at elevating guys through title shots even if they come up short.

Not only that, but Moxley could lose here, but earn another shot in May and win it then.

I'll never ever ever understand the mentality of saying something sucks BEFORE it even happens. I'm not disputing some companies drop the ball too often to have faith in them, but like you mizfan, and Prime, you stop watching after you lose interest due to these repetitive issues. Or say you don't care about it. But damn... to shut off a story idea before it even happens? I can't imagine anyone doing this with the weekly fictional TV show they watch or movie series.

Well, maybe Star Wars or Marvel geeks talk like that. "If Deadpool 3 is him vs Doctor Doom, it'll be awful!$!#!#"

They're doing a Deadpool 3? How exciting!

There's three months between Revolution and Double Or Nothing. That's three months to build up a high quality story between Jericho and a challenger if Moxley doesn't win. Easy money.

They could 'explode' the Elite by having Omega turn on Page, run a Page vs Omega TV feud with Page coming out on top and transition that to a Page challenge.

MJF could go over Cody and be well placed to challenge.

Pac's over, ready, and will kill it in a main event.

Allin has unfinished business with Jericho after the nature of his loss to him, and could easily rematch with Moxley and win to push himself there.

They could very easily go with one of the Lucha Bros vs Jericho, both of whom are over and will deliver.

There's loads of options open to AEW, and it's easy as hell to build someone up from where they are to be a challenger for Jericho.

Why can't Jericho win dirty and have a rematch. I don't think that Moxley should be the one to take the belt off Jericho, anyway. It should be Cody whenever they decide to give him that shot again.

Mox isn't killed by losing to Jericho. And like Oliver said, they have three months to build a challenger. Mox coul move into a feud MJF (although I don't think that program is over after one match). He could do something with Trent or Guavara to try to elevate them. Or could work with Pentagon for a few months.

Jericho as Champion is the absolute best option for this company right now, and nobody should unseat him until they're ready for Cody to do it.

If you want to keep the belt on Jericho, and I have heard others say the same thing, then a dirty finish as you stated, where someone runs in and causes Moxley to lose is a great option. That way Moxley moves onto that feud because that person directly cost him the title.

Jericho, then says that he is done with Moxley and moves on to someone new.

But, I still do not know who the best options for either guy would be.

Coach, how does AEW get out of the 'Cody can never challenge for the AEW title again' stipulation? I think that AEW HAS to keep that for a significant period of time to show that they are different from other companies, where their records are kept, rankings are stated, and 'integrity of stipulations' are also kept.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:02 PM.

I'm torn, and I can't really predict how AEW plans to book the company to give a prediction. But I'm super curious to see Moxley as their champ. I want to see the Roddy Piper type character I always sensed in Dean Ambrose leading a company. I get the idea of Cody as champion too, and I see the value of Jericho as champ (even if I'm not enjoying it as much as the ardent fans are). But for my own taste, Mox is the way to go.

I want to see Moxley as champion too, Pen. I think it puts AEW in a notably different path to where it currently is to have him as champion and be a little bit more of a chaotic presence on weekly TV in that top man role.

I think we've spent a long time talking around the Cody point and getting him to challenge again. I think this might be too early to break that stipulation, personally, and I'd like to see them play it out that he wins his shot in a tournament or something, which circumvents the stip itself as he's not putting out the challenge, he's winning an opportunity. The other good idea was to have the champion challenge Cody, rather than the other way around.

If you want to keep the belt on Jericho, and I have heard others say the same thing, then a dirty finish as you stated, where someone runs in and causes Moxley to lose is a great option. That way Moxley moves onto that feud because that person directly cost him the title.
    I'd have Jericho beat him, but just do something toward the finish while Mox is rolling to get the advantage. Maybe some knuckles (but I think MJF gets the win with the ring gimmick, so maybe not), maybe a low blow behind the ref's back out of the Death Rider and into the Judas Effect, something like that.

They can transition into another program afterward if that's that plan, but a heel Champion getting a win thanks to taking a cheap advantage is pretty classic.

Coach, how does AEW get out of the 'Cody can never challenge for the AEW title again' stipulation? I think that AEW HAS to keep that for a significant period of time to show that they are different from other companies, where their records are kept, rankings are stated, and 'integrity of stipulations' are also kept.
    I don't think that any period of time matters with that stipulation. It's pro wrestling, there's never been a stipulation with any integrity.

They could get to that match at DON. I probably wouldn't because I'd try and get one more match out of Cody and MJF.

But all that needs to happen is Jericho needs to do something to Cody so dastardly that the fans want to see Cody go after him more than they care about the stipulation (nobody does). Who knows that that is. Destroy something of Dream's? Hurt Dustin real badly? Something really evil that'll make fans want to see that match more than they care about the stipulation being upheld. Then Cody probably has to overcome some odds or win a big match (against MJF who cost him the original match, maybe?) in order to get the stipulation lifted.

EDIT: Oh, fuck, I forgot about Arn. Jericho has to do something to Arn. Why else introduce him to begin with?

You really do not think that a stipulation of Cpdy never challenging for the AEW title, doesn't need to be treated with proper time? I am not so sure.

But let's expand on your thought process, where Jericho retains via dirty underhanded tactics. AEW has only 4 PPVs per year, and Jericho, all things being equal, is in good enough shape to wrestle occasionally on Dynamite, and every PPV. So why not have Jericho beat Moxley, then beat the next challengers on the successive PPVs, all by underhanded tactics. The audience and the roster has no one left that could challenge Jericho, where they realize that they have to beg for Cody to break his stipulation. Hell, you could even eventually have Tony Khan make a TV appearance to even ask Cody to do so. Then the stipulation last for about 16-18 months, and is taken seriously and given its proper time and respect. Cody then challenges Jericho and is the one to dethrone him.

Fantasy booking, yes, but it incorporates what a lot of people have been saying.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:10 PM.

Fuck what people are saying. The stipulation isn't really about keeping Cody away from Jericho. It was about giving depth to how dastardly MJF was, and the consequences of his actions. Making Cody win a gauntlet match from the #1 spot, or a Rumble type match from #1, or win a 16 man tournament... so many ways to legitimately have Cody overcome the stip and earn a new title shot.

But the simplest is having a new champion, and Cody can easily snake the stip to say he's allowed to challenge a new new champ (unless that is the existing stip, because I honestly can't remember).

Doing a simple search, Cody's stipulation vs Jericho was simple, and here is the relevant part of the transcript of his promo:

“So when I hear, when I hear the same criticism attached to my name for being management and being in a title match, I can’t not hear it. And with that said, I am announcing that if I do not defeat….

‘You deserve it” chants

If I do not defeat Chris Jericho at Full Gear, I will never challenge for the AEW World Championship again. Chris Jericho, that is a very big ‘if.’ It’s not an encumbrance, it’s not an albatross that is going to sit on your chest and weigh you down, it is going to vanish. You’ve taken to calling my lot ‘entitled millennials.’ You’ve called me an ‘entitled millennial bitch.’ I’ve neglected to read in your best-selling book A Lion’s Tale, which you can get on Amazon for three dollars or at any flea market, I neglected to read about the upbringing you had that was so hard. You talked about my silver spoon, gosh, it must have been so difficult being the upper-class son of a famous hockey player. It is almost like we shared the exact same silver spoon, you stupid dick!
    That is pretty clear on what the stipulation means. Not a loop hole to never challenge Jericho again, or be able to challenge a different champion. Never challenge for the AEW World Championship again. Black and white.

I also read that AEW wants to keep stipulations intact. The quote I read was:

Those in the company are insistent that is exactly what will happen, and that this is step one in trying to teach people stipulations matter.
    Take the second part of the post for what you will, and I know that you will dismiss it, but Cody clearly said that he is now done with the AEW title. So if he and the company wants to make the product feel more real, then they have to give the stipulation time.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:32 PM.

I really don't think that time matters. Why would it? How is breaking the stipulation any different if it takes eight months or eight years? You're still breaking a stipulation that was set out. And he was screwed in the first place.

I'd probably crown Cody at All Out, assuming they're doing that show again. It would be two years since he won he NWA title at their big annual show. That's a good nine months since their first match, and gives Cody and MJF time to close out this chapter of their feud.

I don't think that you want the roster or management begging Cody to go after Jericho. If you're Tony Khan, why would you care that a "bad guy" is Champion if he's drawing money? If you're Jungle Boy or anyone else on the roster, why would you want Cody to challenge instead of trying to step up yourself?

This should be about Jericho doing something to make things really personal between Cody and himself so that the fans want to see him break that stipulation.

Perhaps it's Cody celebrating finally beating MJF after DON, when Jericho comes out to confront him and remind him that he can never be Champion. Maybe one of Cody's buddies (Nick Jackson?) steps up, we get a match the next week on Dynamite, or one of those B/R Live shows they did last summer if that's the plan again, and he gets beat in a glorified squash. Maaaaaybe then do something where Arn steps up and tells Jericho that Cody can't challenge him, but Arn can. We get some smoke and mirrors (or Jericho just immediately hits Judas Effect and wins), and in the aftermath Jericho brutally injures Cody's "coach". Or if the Arn thing doesn't work, maybe Cody and Jericho have a scuffle following the match with Jackson and Brandi eats a Judas Effect accidentally?

I'd maybe follow that up with Cody coming out and saying he wants revenge on Jericho. Jericho refusing and saying that Cody isn't allowed. Cody doing something to egg Jericho on (you can have my position as EVP if you win). And Jericho agreeing on the condition that Cody can beat either MJF who originally screwed him, or Jericho's undefeated bodyguard and MMA fighter Jake Hager. Cody wins, but Hager hurts his ankle or back or something and we have that little added disadvantage going into the match.

But at the end of the day, I don't feel that the time taken matters in the least. Stipulations in wrestling are made to be broken. What matters is making peoplewant it. That's Dusty booking.

I don't think you need time in that story. But it's better if you incorporate it. Especially if you play up to it, say 'Cody would be a definite contender for the title, if only...' over the course of about a year. Then, if you do pull the trigger on that 'something dastardly' scenario that was outlined above, it'd have more weight behind.

Yes, it's wrestling, and people know the stipulations don't mean anything really. But - and you can call me crazy if you like - this stuff always works so much better when people a) act like the things they say really do matter, and b) give things the proper time to grow and reach a climax rather than just doing shit for the sake of it.

So yeah, you can run it in two PPVs time if you want to or have to - but it's probably better if they sit on it a while, play it out, run through a few possibilities it raises first.... and then pull the trigger on it. And frankly, if you've done your job properly in the mean time, Cody should be in a place where it'd mean a lot more anyway.

I also read that AEW wants to keep stipulations intact. The quote I read was:
    ...from Dave Meltzer? Fuck him. He posts rumors and educated guesses. Nothing is factual. Ever. Even if he's passing on facts he's heard, it's still not confirmation that that person told him the truth, or that plans don't change.

I get the idea of creating stardom for Cody that doesn't involve the title. It's very smart, and the type of WWE booking used for Undertaker (1992-1996, 2011-present) and HHH (barring his Roman angle, ever since he went corporate/NXT). The problem is that AEW doesn't have the depth in the roster to let that happen nearly as easily. All they've done is created an atmosphere where every time they need a new challenger, they will pale in comparison to Cody because they aren't the name he is yet. So they need to not only become a credible challenger, but create enough challengers where Cody's exclusion to the title scene isn't obvious.

So, Cody will challenge for the title at some point. Meltzer is a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    but create enough challengers where Cody's exclusion to the title scene isn't obvious.
    See, I wonder if that couldn't be made into a positive in and of itself - and one that could leave someone, who comes into it the beneficiary of Cody missing out who might be kinda lucky to be there, but who takes the champ to the limit and almost goes over, and who leaves with way more credit than they went into it.

But yes, I'm convinced Cody will wrestle for the title again at some point. It seems to me you don't set up an angle like this other than to break the rule you've created down the line. Whether it's the primary reason or not it's an effective way to keep people apart, and the only reason to keep people apart is if you eventually want them to come together - when the time is right.

If we are looking for ways to cut Moxley out of the title scene without winning, Lance Archer interfering would make sense now. Not sure if that's a wise direction or not, and I'm not sure how big a deal Lance truly is. But the connection to he history in Japan fits for Mox vs Archer.

Yes, but what we're all missing her is we're getting The Bastard PAC vs The Freshly Squeezed OC at Revolution and it's going to RULE.

The Brain
    I'm honestly very excited to see how that plays out. Cassidy did a lot of matches late in his indie run where he started out doing shtick put then segued into showing what he can really do, which is a lot.

On Cody, I appreciate having a healthy dose of time but they've gotta break the stipulation eventually. Randy Savage didn't stay retired after Wrestlemania VII, after all. Just need a good enough reason to break it.

Really, really looking forward to this PPV. I'm super impressed how they've worked to build up each and every match and a lot of them have roots that go back 3 or 4 months. The stories stand out in different ways too.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    n Cody, I appreciate having a healthy dose of time but they've gotta break the stipulation eventually. Randy Savage didn't stay retired after Wrestlemania VII, after all. Just need a good enough reason to break it.
    That's the PERFECT example. Savage stayed "retired" for like nine months.

I don't understand AEW. Pac works Omega who may or may not be a top guy, but now he's going to the PPV to work their comedy act? Is there no hierarchy in AEW?

I've got a feeling this is Cassidy's 'breakout' moment in AEW where he shows what he can do in the ring. Which ties in to the whole 'he will try' stuff - and in a way I can get my head around PAC being the guy to go up against him, because he can dominate him in the ring and everybody will expect that, but when Cassidy does rally it's not like he's doing it against a guy the size of (say) a Wardlow or something. The size differential isn't great - I think Cassidy is a couple of inches taller, by eye - but PAC is clearly more muscular/powerful. I think they'll work well together, to be honest. I'm excited to see how the crowd reacts to Cassidy if he does break out some of the stuff he's capable of doing in the ring

The Brain
    Definitely think it's to establish Cassidy, who in fairness is one of the most over acts with the live crowd and can do a lot more physically than he's doing now (though part of his appeal is what he doesn't do, so I'll be interested to see where the balance is). Best case scenario you get a Bryan/Santino Chamber moment, except this time they actually follow up on it to see how much steam it has.

The big issue is, as always, how the hell you go about explaining it. I'd love to see how they go about having him 'break out' and making anything about it make a blind bit of sense.

To pick up on the Savage point above - 9 months is a good length of time. It's about on the low end of where you want to go with something like this, but it's just about long enough. If you've got enough lined up in the mean time, I'd say the upper limit is probably about two years (because you probably start to have people forget shit any longer than that).

But you've got that window of 9-24 months where there's a real long sweet spot where you can drop it, whenever the timing feels right.