The shamlessly lame but still awesome Phil Collins Thread

Was just listening to You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins and thought, is there a lamer but more awesome artist out there? Even when he was younger the guy looked like a middle aged farmer (not in a cool way) and is so utterly cheesy with both his music and lyrics but boy can he write a song that is just damn enjoyable on every level.

I remember crying to this song in the movie theatre when I was a kid.

Last edited by SirSam; 12-24-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Never been a fan myself. Though Sussudio was pretty cool, I suppose.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

It's cool to rag on Phil. All these music purists from the 70s and 80s still pissed about the move from drummer to singer in Genesis. He's laughing all the way to the bank though. He gets what it is to make a hit. He churned out some major cheese in the cheesiest decade going and it holds up well. Shit, I could probably make a case for Against All Odds being one of the greatest songs ever written. Invisible Touch is an absolute favourite of mine. And that Tarzan soundtrack is easily some of the best Disney stuff. Also, his role in Vice City Stories is out of this world.

Not gonna lie I like Phil

Agaisnt All Odds is an amazing shout Mazza, I haven't listened to that one for years, just popped it into my Spofity and it is perfect Phil Collins cheese.

There was once a This American Life episode where the reporter somehow got Phil Collins to write a break up song with her. It is hilarious but also fantastic, the whole time he is saying to this wordsmith 'stop trying to be clever and just write things out plainly'.

Link here is you're interested in a listen: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/339/break-up

Anyway listening to Against All Odds made me want to listen to You Can't Hurry Love which is another fine dose of the cheesiest of cheese. Such a shamelessly poppy tune but it sticks in the head so well.

I will be honest. Ever since the mid 80s, when I was about 10, long before the internet was a thing, there was a persistent rumor that Phil Collins was an antisemite, and at his concerts he would talk about how he doesn't like Jewish people (some coming from people who actually attended his concerts). And since I am a Jewish person, I have not been able to move past this, regardless of it being true or not, but since I got my information from actual concert goers, straight from the horses mouth so to speak, I tend to believe it. So for the past 35 years or so, every time I hear Collins' music I immediately turn it off because all that pops into my head is that he is antisemitic.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.