Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Seen a few more recently. Worked it out though that I'm only at 41 (that I can recall) for the year. So, that 100 films thing we were talking about way back when didn't even get close. Given it's December in a couple of days I'll do well to hit 50.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

You know, I just realized that Chis Evans may be the one actor who has been in the most different comic book to film movies. RDJ is in more movies, but Evans has been in the most diverse.

Obviously the MCU as Captain America but also:

Both Fantastic Four Movies
    TMNT - from 2007
    The Losers
    Push
    Scott Pilgrim
    Snowpiercer

Man, I watched Scott Pilgrim the other week and it is an excellent film on pretty much every level, from directing, to cinematography, to character, to acting.

Err...wife and I have made an appointment to watch A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby tonight. I'm just hoping it's as wonderfully, gleefully silly as the previous two A Christmas Prince films.

Speaking of Netflix Christmas films, I will say this - Let It Snow is quite excellent.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Still speaking of Netflix Christmas films, I tried Klaus - I thought the old school aesthetic of the animation looked really charming and nostalgic, and a new take on the Santa idea is usually at least worth checking out. I did not, sadly, make it through the entire film though. It's rare for me to drop out halfway through but I had to. Something about it just...well...just wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Man, I watched Scott Pilgrim the other week and it is an excellent film on pretty much every level, from directing, to cinematography, to character, to acting.
    Scott Pilgrim is probably one of the most underrated movies of all time. The movie is absolutely brilliant, and is very close to the source material. They took a long series and shortened it to an under 2 hour movie, but did not shit all over the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    Still speaking of Netflix Christmas films, I tried Klaus - I thought the old school aesthetic of the animation looked really charming and nostalgic, and a new take on the Santa idea is usually at least worth checking out. I did not, sadly, make it through the entire film though. It's rare for me to drop out halfway through but I had to. Something about it just...well...just wasn't very good.
    Just watched this yesterday with my kids, and it was meh. It gave a new twist on the Santa idea, but through a mailman?

Watched Blue Story. It's all about gun/knife gangs in UK. Got banned briefly.

Anyway, might sound better than it is. The beginning is interesting but it turns to shit.

Three films so far at the movies this year. Little Women (not really my bag, but then I'm not really the target audience I don't think!), Jojo Rabbit (which I was deeply unsure about considering the genre and subject matter but that in the end I really admired, and found deeply affecting) and The Gentlemen (regressive, racist sludge).

The first big one I'm really looking forward to this year is 1917 though, which comes out here in the UK next week. Aching to see that!

At home, I've been checking out some of Akira Kurosawa's movies after getting a box set of them for Christmas (awesome gift to get!). Seven Samurai, absolute masterpiece. Throne of Blood, being a reinterpretation of Macbeth in feudal Japan, wasn't up to the same standard but still had some serious strengths, including an extremely visceral conclusion. And The Hidden Fortress, which partly inspire the original Star Wars of course. Another enjoyable film, but easily the weakest of the three I've seen thus far. Felt like the material really ended before the film did. I've still got a couple more to go though, and am very excited to get the time to sit down and give them a peak!

Only the one cinema trip for me so far this year which was Jojo Rabbit, but also caught Little Women late in December. Giving the other one you mention a miss!

Went to see 1917 Friday night. Thought it was tremendous. It wasn't an all-time-knock-my-socks-off-masterpiece or anything, and I think it would probably feel a little more standard were it not for the one-shot trick - but the fact is that it does do the trick of making it watch like one long tracking shot, and while I was worried I'd get distracted by it in the first ten minutes I settled into it. By the end, I thought it had created a really keenly felt sense of journeymanship, that I had been on the same trek Blake and Schofield had been on.

Add to that the viscera, the tension, pretty much every one of the film's big set-pieces, the use of lighting and the soundtrack and I think you ended up with a real banger of a film.

Over the weekend I watched 1917 and Ad Astra.

1917 was really good. I normally am not a fan of War Movies, but this was really not a war movie. This is also not what you think it is. It is based on stories told to the writer/director from his Grandfather. The movie was shot really well and in a different way. You will see. I do not think it is Oscar calliber, but it is really good.

Ad Astra. Long and boring. To me it was just another 'let's try to make an Oscar worth art film' but failed.

Haven't actually seen a bad movie at the cinema so far this year. Can't imagine the streak will continue for much longer but enjoying it while it lasts!

16 films at the cinema so far this year! Parasite probably holds the top spot at the moment - absolutely phenomenal film, that was. A real masterpiece in swerving, tense narrative, in photography, in tone and theme; mind-blowingly good, I thought. Lot of love for 1917 as well of course, and I've also really enjoyed Just Mercy, Richard Jewel (criminal there have been no acting noms tonight coming out of that film, frankly) and A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood.

Because I've got to go away this week and they are already down to one screening a day each, I think I'm going to have to choose between Richard Jewel and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Not impressed at that! Wanted to catch them both.

That's a tough choice to make as well! Both boast the same achievement - phenomenal acting. Hanks especially in ABDITN is typically outstanding. I would probably lean more towards Richard Jewell though, to be honest.

I have begun to watch some Netflix movies. The first was Cam. Really good, surprisingly, and was a nice dive into the world of Internet Camera girls, written by a former camera girl, and it was a horror twist.

1917 was phenomenal. Mentally draining movie and well worth it.

Now up to 8 films at the cinema for the year.

Parasite is the only thing out I'm really bothered about seeing, but I could imagine checking out Doolittle (partly against my better judgement), Sonic (nostalgia), Call of the Wild, and Emma (at a push) in the coming week.

The only thing they've got on advance sale at the moment is something called 'Upward', but I don't think I've heard anything about that one.

Do you mean Onward? I'll need tissues for that one just based off the trailer.

I still would like to see Parasite. I've seen most of the other films from awards season.

Yeah, Onward is the new Pixar movie so I'm sure it'll prove emotional. I don't go to see them at the cinema though, I'll wait for it to come out on home release.

Make the time to see Parasite, Prime. It's as good as the hype claims, I think.

Just worked out I'm averaging six films a month for the year so far. That's not too bad but I don't think we're going to be aiming at 100 somehow!

And yes, I imagine I probably did mean Onward and was misremembering the title.

After a blazing hot start for me, I'm afraid I've totally derailed. I simply don't fancy going to one of the country's biggest cinemas during this coronavirus outbreak, and am resigned to giving the cinema a wide berth for some time, at least. Until I feel more comfortable with the thought. Paranoid? Perhaps. But I'd be hugely concerned if I did go.

Not worth it if you're going to worry about it. Peace of mind is more important, and at least you got your films in early so it's not like your losing money.

I want to see Onward, but I'm an absolute sucker for a Pixar film.

I've been catching up on Ghibli films, now that they're dribbling on to Netflix one batch at a time. Had forgotten how much I love Spirited Away. But all of those Ghibli films, they're so delicately and delightfully crafted. A real tour de force.

I hear that Miyazaki is directing a new one called 'How Do You Live?' but that work on it is painstaking - I heard they were making a minute of animation a month because Miyazaki wants it to be perfect.

I made the time to get out and see Dark Waters, the Mark Ruffalo thing about Teflon in the water around West Virginia. Was pretty decent. Enjoyed it, as much as you can ever enjoy that kind of movie.

Let's see, what's the list I've seen now? In no particular order

1. Jojo Rabbit
    2. 1917
    3. Waves
    4. Bombshell
    5. Bad Boys for Life
    6. David Copperfield
    7. Birds of Prey
    8. A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
    9. Parasite
    10. Sonic
    11. The Call of the Wild
    12. Greed
    13. Dark Waters

So we're averaging about one a week which isn't too shabby. Who knows what is going to happen from now though. I could get sick, even if I don't the cinemas could close, and there's talk of things being delayed until this has all calmed down. So we'll see.

So I just watched the Girl on the Third Floor, the CM Punk movie on Netflix.

man what a piece of shit. Punk's acting was still and forced, and 50% of his screen time was close ups on his face where he had the look of 'did you just fart?'. Seriously. Bad.

Then the story. Somewhat typical, but very jumbled and without a good ending. The 90 minute movie spent 70-75 minutes with almost nothing, only to make the last 15-20 a what the fuck? Watch at your own risk.

Then the part that I could not get past. CM Punk, notorious for being straight edge. His personal lifestyle choice, with drug free tattooed on his knuckles, and straight edge tattooed on his stomach, AND he made it clear in his wrestling persona all about his lifestyle.

I get that this was a movie, and it is acting, but the director made a point of not hiding his tat, and showed his knuckles a few times, and his stomach was on display, but that had him drinking and smoking pot. It was weird to say the least, and turned me off.