Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Gutted to see Dark Phoenix bombing as hard as it has. That seems really unfair. Even if it isn't the best ever made (I loved it I should say) it certainly is by no means so bad it should perform worse than the F4 reboot they tried. It's better than that.

MIBI has apparently performed extremely poorly too. Can't say I'm shocked. Did we really need a reboot of a franchise that ran it's course after the FIRST film?! It didn't seem very well marketed either now I think about it.

I don’t know what the marketing was like here in the states, but I could almost imagine the studio thinking people would flock in to see it just because of Chris Hemsworth and his performances in Ragnarok, Infinity War and End Game.

Been in the news today that Endgame is getting 're-released' (it hasn't even left my regular cinema yet) with 'extra footage.' What a blatant effort to topple the Avatar-set box office record. Such a naked money grab.

Don't think I've been for a couple of weeks, need to find the time to get back out to the cinema again.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    Been in the news today that Endgame is getting 're-released' (it hasn't even left my regular cinema yet) with 'extra footage.' What a blatant effort to topple the Avatar-set box office record. Such a naked money grab.
    I got no problem with it. Avatar was a shitty movie with good special effects that made its money from pricey 3D tickets.

I don't think 'Plan was making the point as a defence of Avatar, to be honest, but there we go.

Weird, anyways...

I really loved Blinded by the Light. I’m a big Springsteen fan so I knew I would. It’s definitely a bit corny but such a great feel-good movie.

Prime is absolutely right. I'd never defend Avatar. I think it's rather rubbish. But a money grab is a money grab all the same!

I saw Blinded by the Light this last weekend and, in a fitting moment, an elderly lady entered during the trailers and decided she needed her light on her phone to see where she was going, disrupting everyone. I know it was only the trailers, but I enjoy them damn it and it annoyed the hell out of me. Because those phone lights are damn bright!

I enjoyed the film though. I'm no Springsteen fan, don't know diddly squat about his music, but the film was fun. I felt like it was straining to be a musical without fully embracing the notion, which was a bit distracting for me, and it certainly didn't spare the schmaltz, but fun is fun, right?

Sorry for the double post but I've been to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood today and felt compelled to share my thoughts. They aren't flattering.

*************SPOILERS BELOW*************

To begin with, as is the case with every Tarantino film not called Reservoir Dogs, it's far too long, and the unnecessary nature of its length is utterly self-evident. The number of shots of people driving around was bizarrely distracting, scenes that could've taken five minutes often take twenty and many of them aren't even necessary at all.

The run-time is just the beginning of its problems for me, though. It was meandering, leering, ill disciplined and self-indulgent, but worst of all, it was utterly pointless. Lack of satisfying closure has been a blight on Tarantino's work for me for a long time, the man apparently more than happy to sacrifice a resolute ending for any combination of shock, gore or his most recent fashion for oddly rewriting history - a neat trick in Basterds, but here one that basically renders the entire exercise, and the presence of Margot Robbie, quite literally pointless. 'It's a film about the Manson murders!' in which no Manson murders anybody.

But really it's not bout the Manson murders at all, I know that. It was, instead, another Quentin Tarantino film about what Quentin Tarantino knows about film. Its lack of diversity was quite apparent. The inexplicable tangent involving Bruce Lee, that ultimately added nothing of any worth to the film whatsoever, served only to flirt with an ugly sense of passive racism while Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate - by virtue of the ending that rendered the entire exercise pointless - existed in the film to be oggled and leered at by the camera; a giggling, dancing, air-headed damsel who grows in no way whatsoever and serves not as an object of adjulation or adoration as the director would have you believe, but as an object to be lusted after. Nor is she the only female character under-served this way. They all are, directed to lean and sit, walk and interact in the most provocative manner possible, with one shot in particular placing the woman's rear end in the foreground of the camera most unnecessarily - before going on to offer the gallant and honourable middle-aged white man a blowjob, only to fail to outsmart him. Obviously.

It wasn't all bad. I liked the fact not everyone talked like Tarantino for once. In that sense, many of the characters felt like individuals instead of puppets on a string. Leo's central performance is a belter too - it's a shame the material decides that his character progression halfway through the film needs to be dispensed with almost immediately in order to explain his part in the story's conclusion.

Sadly it wasn't anywhere near enough to save the film for me though. Characters fail to grow, plot threads are laid out without being followed up, scenes are drawn out, even included just to indulge and it all feels oddly, uncomfortably retrograde in its cultural tone. Some have called it Tarantino's love-letter to 1960s LA. The problem is, if that's true, he doesn't exactly present a great deal that's worth loving. It flirts with racism, with chauvinism, and all the usual hyper-violence you get with the director's work. Including plenty of shots of bare feet. Plenty and plenty and plenty of them. I could do without being repeatedly reminded about Tarantino's sexual kink, thanks.

That's my issue really, that's why I'm ragging on it so hard. There's something ugly and adolescent about the whole thing, like a nerdy teenager fetishizing his fixations and then presenting them to the world as some weird tribute to an art form he spends his days learning all about. It's little more than a blustering ego trip. We get it, Quentin, you know a lot about film and, yes, it's all really rather impressive. But this isn't the 1960s, and while you're busy celebrating where film has come from - whether that's with love letters to kung fu movies or Spaghetti Western movies or WWII movies or to LA of the time - film itself has moved on; it just seems like you haven't quite realised that, yet.

This isn't the 1960s anymore. And while we're at it, it isn't 1994 either, so stop giving Pulp Fiction a face-lift every few years and calling it 'something new,' because at this stage the only thing missing from this one Tarantino movie you give to us on rinse and repeat, but with varying degrees of indulgence depending on your mood, is the soundtrack of your own heavy breathing as you furiously masturbate over the sight of your own self-perceived 'genius.' Besides, Pulp Fiction isn't that good anyway!

In case you it wasn't clear guys, I didn't just not like it; I actively disliked it, and by quite a great deal. So much so I'm one more of these films away from naming his most tragic character his own damn library of work.

Didn’t see the point in starting a new thread for this just yet, so I’m dumping it here... The Matrix 4 has been green-lit. Lana Wachowski writing and directing solo this time. Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss will somehow be reprising their characters of Neo and Trinity, respectively. Production should be starting sometime early next year.

Though I'd just mention that I've decided to start trying to write semi-regular movie columns in the non-wrestling writing subforum so if anyone wants some reading material, there's some there! And also if anyone fancies writing more protracted opinions about movie stuff, why not start your own movie columns down there? Whole subforum's going to waste, so why the hell not, I figured!

Double-post it is!

I went to see Inna De Yard yesterday, a documentary following the group's recording of an unplugged acoustic album and chronicling the history of reggae, Jamaica and their personal lives. I absolutely adored it, so much so it may even be my new favourite of the year. And I don't even really listen to or know anything about reggae music! But it was properly life-affirming, love-affirming, uplifting stuff. A real tonic for current events. Couldn't recommend it enough if anyone gets an opportunity to see it any time.

I'm not a big cinema goer, but I am 100% going to go and see Joker when it comes out. It looks terrific.

Cinema has been brutal lately. Barely anything on I want to see. Been considering going to see Hobbs and Shaw and Dora the fucking explorer just so I'm not losing money.

I've actually been quite tempted by Hobbs & Shaw, but then I can be quite a fan of big stupid action films with big stupid people doing big stupid things.

Also, it has Idris Elba in it, and he's dreamy.

I just watched Annihilation, and OMG was that a completely horrible piece of crap.

It was long, no character development, and no payoff. If you ever saw the 2001 comedy movie Evolution with David Duchovny, Julianne Moore, Orlando Jones and Seann William Scott, it really was very similar, but a pseudo slapstick feel.

Annihilation was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    If you ever saw the 2001 comedy movie Evolution
    Haha that movie was so dumb, but I've lost track of the number of times I've (apropos of nothing, usually) used the 'THERE'S ALWAYS TIME FOR LUBRICANT!' line.

I know. It was dumb, but it really was similar to Annihilation in the concept. An alien thing lands on Earth and begins to change the creature and environment around it changing the DNA/Genetics and having them all evolve around them.

Evolution as bad as it is, but fun and silly, is still soooooo much better than Annihilation .

Transgender Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I've actually been quite tempted by Hobbs & Shaw, but then I can be quite a fan of big stupid action films with big stupid people doing big stupid things.

Also, it has Idris Elba in it, and he's dreamy.
    Pfft, you want a dreamy black man, look no further than me.

Wait, there's like 20 things wrong with that assertion...

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Pfft, you want a dreamy black man, look no further than me.

Wait, there's like 20 things wrong with that assertion...

Idris Elba is rubbish; like, properly, properly rubbish.

Anywho...

Went to see IT: Chapter 2. That was a crushing disappointment. 2.5 long hours of Pennywise being more irritating than frightening, with character arcs that arrived feeling like they were already resolved in a relatively complete first film. The new angle with which they tackled Richie's character was really, really cool though so I very much appreciated that. It was just all a bit...emotionally empty.

I've also seen Rambo: Last Blood, which, for an action film, curiously didn't have a great deal of action in it and was now far, far removed from the original idea of the character, of the first film. Although criticisms of it being Trumpian seem odd - the franchise has been of that bent since the first one way back when.

I've also seen Ad Astra - possibly the disappointment of the year for me so far. I was massively intrigued by the trailers for it and thought it looked like a really exciting modern sci-fi thriller. Instead it was ponderous, pretentious and a hell of a mess that resembled a Frankenstein's Monster of poor imitations of better sci-fi films. It seemed to pull influences from, or accidentally resemble, all kinds of sci-fi classics - 2001, Blade Runner, Interstellar, Total Recall, Gravity, Moon, Sunshine, Event Horizon, Apollo 13...to such an extent that, in the prolonged boredom of enduring more awful, cliché-addled Brad Pitt narration, I just kept thinking about all these other really great sci-fi movies that I could have been sat watching instead. What a dismal disappointment. Reports of it being 'a masterpiece' are wildly off the mark. The film loved itself, but there was nothing there to really love.

Idris Elba is rubbish; like, properly, properly rubbish.
    Shut your whore mouth!

I might start a The Wire rewatch the next time I have an opportunity.

Sat down (at home) and watched Scott Pilgrim a couple of weeks ago - probably the last film that I saw. Still think that's a directorial triumph by Wright, and his very best film to date.

Actually, speaking of Wright, I watched Baby Driver not too long ago as well and really enjoyed that.

Now, when's Joker out?

I've also seen Ad Astra - possibly the disappointment of the year for me so far. I was massively intrigued by the trailers for it and thought it looked like a really exciting modern sci-fi thriller. Instead it was ponderous, pretentious and a hell of a mess that resembled a Frankenstein's Monster of poor imitations of better sci-fi films. It seemed to pull influences from, or accidentally resemble, all kinds of sci-fi classics - 2001, Blade Runner, Interstellar, Total Recall, Gravity, Moon, Sunshine, Event Horizon, Apollo 13...to such an extent that, in the prolonged boredom of enduring more awful, cliché-addled Brad Pitt narration, I just kept thinking about all these other really great sci-fi movies that I could have been sat watching instead. What a dismal disappointment. Reports of it being 'a masterpiece' are wildly off the mark. The film loved itself, but there was nothing there to really love.
    I think I got more out of it than you did, but I agree it was a disappointment in the end. I summarised it after seeing it that there's a good movie there, trapped within a pretty bad one. As it goes on the bad starts to outweigh the good but I liked a lot of the first hour. Though I did hate pretty much any moment where the voiceover was involved.

Also saw The Farewell recently, which was a lot better than I was expecting. Not really sure what I was expecting, but ended up enjoying it a lot.

We're out of the desert of the last few months though, seems to be a lot more on/coming out that is interesting now.

Joker is out now, to respond to Oliver's question. I went to see it today and really, really liked it. Lots to digest. Considering writing out some thoughts as a full on column a bit later if I can get round to it. Definitely recommend it, anyways!

Cinema was packed yesterday. And I wasn't even there to see Joker (saw the Judy Garland biopic instead). Long story short, I reckon they are absolutely coining it this weekend.

That's weird, was sure I wrote a post about Joker here.

I saw it on Saturday night and really, really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great character study, and spun aspects of the best Joker origin story - The Killing Joke - into a really neat and modern statement. There were a couple of points in it that I didn't particularly like, one of which was the potrayal of Joker as someone who wasn't particularly calculating or planning, especially as that's really the heart of the character itself. For me, I was happy to let that slide when viewing the film, simply because it was an origin story and so needs to build up that planning side of things. I imagine if they do do a sequel (which, to be honest, I kind of hope they don't) it will have some focus on that development of the character away from him being opportunistic and instinctive in his actions and into that calculating character. The friend I went to see the film with said that this made him dislike the film as a whole, for what it's worth, but I didn't especially care and could deal with it.

The other aspect I didn't particularly like was that it tried hard to bind itself to the existing Batman universe, which I didn't think was necessary. I thought including young Bruce in the story didn't really add anything other than a nod to the larger world this film exists in, which realistically everyone who sees it knows anyway. I think they could have run it without the confrontations with Thomas and Bruce, because the story there didn't necessarily need them in to get to the same end point. I didn't mind it, but when I look back it felt a little forced - also it ages Joker, because if Bruce was just a boy when he rose up like that (and what are we saying Fleck is in the film - mid-40s was how I felt, but let's say late-30s at the lowest possible age) then by the time you get to The Dark Knight Batman has grown up by 14 years, then spends another 7 years travelling the world to learn how to be feared - so 21 years later (and this is just by Batman Begins) Joker is going to be what, 55? 60? I don't know, thinking about it like that kind of recontextualises The Dark Knight for me a bit and stretches my credibility and thinking.

And the reason why I'm linking it back to the first two Nolan films is that this felt very much like a starting film for those two as a trilogy - I would happily watch Joker (villain origin), Batman Begins (hero origin), and The Dark Knight (hero meets villain) as a trio. Heck, there were even shots and scene in Joker which seemed to echo The Dark Knight (Joker in the cop car, the wide shot of the hospital, the ambulance crash) to tie them together. That was fine (although felt unsubtle) but then you have to ask - if this is supposed to link to The Dark Knight, is it right that an eight year old Bruce is featured in this?

Jeez, that's a critical post for a film I really loved a lot! I thought everything about the film was smashing, those two things are really quite minor nitpicks that I've spun out.

You did - I moved it to the DC thread for what I'm sure are obvious reasons!

I'll leave this here so we don't keep passing each other but I'll copy this one across now, too.

Oh! Haha! I was super confused there for a moment, and didn't check the DC thread - which I'll do right now

How was Judy, Prime?

I saw Joker on Saturday and contemplated seeing it after that, but I suddenly realised that I was a bit burned out on biopics about tortured musicians. Between Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman this last year, it feels like they've been rather quite prominent for a while now and there's only so many of these things I can stomach really.

It's good. Less feelgood and more dealing with the dark side than Bohemian Rhapsody. Less experimental than Rocket Man, more of a typical biopic. But there's a hell of a central performance at the heart of it.

But think more the Hollywood studio system than the rock n'roll lifestyle, so a bit different in that respect.

See, that immediately sort of puts me off! I don't think I have it in me to watch another two hours of 'tortured star portrayed in Oscar-bait performance' quite honestly.

I am, however, massively excited to see El Camino this coming Friday - and I figured, as it is a two hour movie, this would be the place to raise it rather than any Breaking Bad thread.

Haha, well if it's pure Oscar-bait they were going for they were probably better off waiting a couple of months to release it, because it's got a chance of being forgotten coming this early!

In all seriousness, I get where you're coming from - this is very much about it's star, and the film isn't going to have many surprises. In some respects, you've already seen this movie, if the story itself isn't interesting to you.

I'm personally quite into old Hollywood and though I knew the gist of the Garland story I didn't know the specifics, so this was all interesting to me (even though, as with all these things, there is some licence taken with the history). But if that's not interesting to you, I can't imagine you being converted by seeing it. It did go down well in the room, but unless you're a fan of acting, happy enough with simple enough movies carried off well enough, or interested in the subject matter, you can safely not bother. And yes, the number of uses of 'enough' in that sentence is deliberate, which probably tells you all you need to know!

As for Breaking Bad... we actually don't have a thread for it anymore, so yeah, here is as good a place as any (though I reckon it could have safely fit in the TV thread following on from that discussion without too much of a problem, either). So, yeah, here's fine!

Did anybody happen to catch El Camino over the weekend? I watched it last night, and while it wasn’t bad per se... it was just kind of there. It told the story it was trying to tell, but as big Pinkman fan whose favorite parts of BB were mostly centered around him (when he tells the story of the making the box in woodshop class... one of my favorite scenes in the entire series), it just kind of felt... I don’t know. “Empty” doesn’t seem right, but it’s the first word that comes to mind.

I thought it was a great epilogue for the main show.

Saw Gemini Man at the weekend. That takes me to about 33 for the year, which leaves me wanting to try and find another 17 movies to see in the next 11 weeks.

They've also lowered the prices at the cinema I go to, and so you have to see an extra movie a month to make it worth it, now. Easily done during the Oscar season but we've seen this year you can get long stretches where there's nothing on you wanna see. But yeah, 36 films a year is the magic number to make the pass worth it.

Still haven't seen Joker which I'll probably check out at some point, I'll probably watch the new Terminator film, there's that La Mans movie that looks great, I think Knives Out could end up being a lot of fun, 21 Bridges has a decent trailer that makes it look a bit like a 1990s thriller which is pretty much what I grew up on... and this is all just off the top of my head, so there's plenty of stuff to see (if I get the chance).