Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    As a kid I even loved Every Which Way but Loose with the orangutan.

Off topic a bit, does anyone here use Letterboxd site to catalog movies? Its sorta of like goodreads, only for movies. You can review, like movies, put movies in a watchlist. Create any kind of list you want. Its been pretty fun and actually gotten me more into movies lately.

Can't say I do. I once totted up everything I'd seen on icheckmovies just to work out how many I was up to but it sounds like there was less functionality on that than what you are talking about here.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I don't know about the site you used but letterboxed is quite easy even if it has a few flaws that keep it from being perfect. There's a paid tier that helps you find movies on the various streaming sites but doesn't change how you use the site. You look up something and you'll branch off into other movies, other lists.. Didn't take me long to find most of the movies I've seen..

One thing i've really liked is you can follow people and their reviews and lists.. and if you see they've reviewed a movie, you can click on the poster and see their review.

I also like the aesthetic of it, 95% of movies listed have their movie poster.

https://letterboxd.com/
    Last edited by LK3185; 11-28-2018 at 07:09 PM.

So I haven't had a lot of time to go to the cinema lately but had a couple of hours today. And there was only really the one thing on at a convenient time, so I thought I'd chance my arm. That was Nutcracker and the four realms. And do you know what, you'll be hard pushed to see a film that is more visually appealing. Even if it doesn't really appeal to you, if you like the epic worlds of fantasy and are happy to just go for spectacle, I'd say it was worth a shot.

I do understand why the critical consensus hasn't been great but it is a striking thing to look at. There's also a little bit of meta stuff going on and some interest for anyone intrigued by neo-victorian kinda things, so it's not like you have to completely switch your brain off either - although the appeal is far more to the senses than any great investment in it.

The Brain
    I felt that way about Jupiter Ascending, it got trashed in the reviews but it was visually spectacular, and there's something to be said for that.

So I just watched Ready Player One again, and my feelings are exactly the same as when I saw it in the movie theater. It was crap. It completely changes almost everything from the book. While I understand that you cannot really accomplish what was written exactly, but they made a 2.5 hour movie and changed way too much.

Visually pretty, but all three challenges from the book were completely different. Where was the relationship between Z and H? Z and Artemis? The refer to 5 players as the High 5 at the end of the movie, but they never explain anywhere in the movie why they are called that. Why does Z love Artemis, there was no explanation that Z read and followed her blog for years and was "in love" with her as a writer prior to even meeting her. If you did not read the book you had no idea on almost everything.

Why did Sorrento have MechaGodzilla? Where were the rest of the Robots? Read the book people. Read the book.

So given my appreciation of the games and the hilarious bad press it's already getting, you better believe I'm going to see this Sonic movie when it comes out.

If you haven;t seen the Godzilla: King of Monsters trailer yet. You must, and be careful b/c I needed to change my pants after I saw it. It looks like the movie I have been waiting my entire life for!!

Hellboy trailer dropped. Man does that look fun!

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I never really cared for the other Hellboy movies. I'm not familiar with the source material mind, so I don't know if they're particularly accurate reflections of the character and fictional universe. I'm sure I'll check it out if I have the time.

Haven't posted in a while, and since i have I've been to see a bunch of stuff. I was a little disappointed with Widows - I'd really been looking forward to that one, but when I went to see it, despite some really quite surprising twists in the story, it seemed to just fizzle out in its final act to me. I did really like Creed II though. I was a big fan of the first Creed film and while the sequel was a little oddly paced in the first half, and felt like it crammed two or three films into one so it could rush to the big Drago fight, it was still a whole lot of fun and ended with a real great last hour or so. The training montage was a particularly excellent version of the trope too.

I also got a chance to rewatch Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri recently and feared that maybe I had over-egged it on my first watch at the cinema. Happy to say it left just as deep an impression on me the second time round, and remains - alongside Moonlight - possibly my favourite film of the last decade or so.

The Brain
    I like the design elements in Hellboy. Wasn't blown away by the plot of the first two but they were fun, might see the latest.

I also really enjoyed Creed II. Not mind blowing but a very fun watch.

Apparently there will be another Terminator movie. It is scheduled to be released in November, and it will star Arnold and Linda Hamilton. It is supposed to be a direct sequel to T2, and it will disregard everything after T2 including the Sarah Connors Chronicles TV show.

Hey... maybe theyíll make something good this time. 🙄

The Brain
    Bleah, no more Terminator stuff for me I think.

Saw Into the Spiderverse and really enjoyed it, didn't blow my hair back but really fun story, good voice acting, great visuals, and some very funny bits. Very much worth checking out in my opinion!

I'm intrigued and cautiously hopeful for the new Terminator film. But I haven't liked much of of what Cameron has done since T2, so...

I subscribe to a membership of one of the UK's biggest cinema chains, where you pay £18 a month but can see as many films as you want any time without paying. Plus discounts on concessions, Starbucks and certain restaurants. I say this because they emailed me on New Year's Eve to tell me my subscription saved me £401 this year! I think that's pretty awesome. I aim to make it £500 in 2019!

You didn't like True Lies, Titanic or Avatar? Those are the only three movies that Cameron has done since T2. He was making some documentaries, and he has been making Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 for the past decade. So what exactly didn't you like? Also Cameron is a producer and creative consultant, and will be the go to guy for questions, not the director. tim Miller (Deadpool) is directing.

And I will say that if you didn't like Avatar, I will call some BS to that. In 2009, when it came out, no one disliked it. Everyone thought it was absolutely amazing. It only got some negative feelings as time went on and it got over exposed.

But I agree with you about the new Terminator movie being possibly really good. However, on IMDB, there is no one listed to play John Connor. weird.
    Last edited by Powder; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    I subscribe to a membership of one of the UK's biggest cinema chains, where you pay £18 a month but can see as many films as you want any time without paying. Plus discounts on concessions, Starbucks and certain restaurants. I say this because they emailed me on New Year's Eve to tell me my subscription saved me £401 this year! I think that's pretty awesome. I aim to make it £500 in 2019!
    That wouldn't be Cineworld by any chance? I've wrestled with the idea of getting that, but my nearest Cineworld tends to not have as many releases...
    Last edited by Gooner; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    And I will say that if you didn't like Avatar, I will call some BS to that. In 2009, when it came out, no one disliked it. Everyone thought it was absolutely amazing. It only got some negative feelings as time went on and it got over exposed.
    I didn't like it in the cinema at the time, so I didn't even like it on the first viewing, never mind when it got overexposed. Bored me to tears, practically.

That Cineworld thing is pretty cool, 'Plan. I save a ridiculous amount using my Odeon pass but they don't actually e-mail you how much.

Plenty of people disliked Avatar when it came out (over 50 negative reviews on RT). Other than the amazing and gorgeous special effects, it’s an overlong cliche, good vs. bad story. I’d consider it Cameron’s worst film as far as entertainment.

I did find it an overlong Pocahontas story in space first time round. I didn't hate it necessarily, but certainly would be OK never watching it again.

The Brain
    Yeah, I wasn't ever wild about Avatar either. Thought it was fine, nice visuals with a cliched story.

I do like True Lies though.

True Lies was a lot of fun, but I'm also a big Arnie fan.

It is Cineworld! I live near one of their biggest multiplexes so it's pretty awesome. I always recommend people get Unlimited - most will say they don't go often enough, or have nobody to go with. Well the response from me would be that, with a card, you'll find yourself going more often just because you know you don't need to pay (and when that results in discovering a film you really like but wouldn't otherwise have gone to see it's an amazing experience!) and that you'd be surprised how many people go on their own these days. I do all the time, and there's someone else on their own probably 8 out of every 10 times I go. It really isn't the taboo it used to be I don't think. And even if it was...who cares, right?

And to answer Powder, I absolutely disliked Avatar at the time. It's heavy-handed treatment of obvious themes and its deeply unoriginal plot left me severely unimpressed. I also couldn't care less if a film was in 3D or not. It is categorically not the future of cinema, never was and never will be. It's a gimmick. That's it. And Avatar succeeded because it was in 3D when 3D was all new and shiny (for the third time...), not because it was a great film. True Lies is fun enough, though nothing great, and I have little to no time for Titanic either. So what I said stands. And, frankly, I shouldn't need to sit and justify an opinion. It's ok for people to think differently...

So about 15 years late but am watching Million Dollar Baby for the first time and have had to stop, not cause itís terrible, cause itís fabulous. I doubt others would not have seen it but donít want to spoil it regardless, but friggin hell, I donít think Iíve ever been hit like that watching a movie. Completely gutted me.

I've never seen it, don't know diddly squat about the plot...but now you have me intrigued to seek it out!

The Brain
    I actually didn't love Million Dollar Baby as much as some. I saw it a long time ago though, so I might think differently now.

Saw the Favourite last week and really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would. Strongly recommend!

Yeah I liked The Favourite too.

I saw Escape Room over the weekend, and it was very good. I was completely surprised by how entertaining and how it kept your interest throughout the movie, it also did not insult your intelligence by setting up the movie for 30 minutes. it had about 10 minutes of exposition in the beginning, then boom right into the ER. The ending had a nice twist, and could be a sequel in the mix.

Hoping to spend some time at the cinema this weekend and The Favourite is definitely on the list.

I had some free time tonight so fired up Sky Movies and found Call Me By Your Name. I'd heard Kermode rank it among his top films of the year and, knowing the material was of great relevance to me personally, I thought why not.

I didn't expect to end the night having seen a film that affected me perhaps more than any other. Words can't express the emotional depth, the necessary warmth of that stunning story. I'm not sure what the soul is, but I'm certain it spoke to mine and touched it in a powerful way.

It tells the story of an intelligent 17 year old Italian named Elio, whose father is a professor of antiquities and invites grad students to stay with the family during the summer months. The film chronicles a long hot Italian summer of the mid 1980s during which a brash American grad student named Oliver is the one to stay - and we see how Elio comes to fall quite unexpectedly deeply and passionately in love with Oliver. It's a beautiful film, truly, and you should watch it at the first chance. While I have a personal connection to it, others should see it for the universality of its emotional morality and strength.

I shall be buying the Blu-ray and book both over the weekend.

Mark Kermode is one of the few movie critics I trust in terms of judgement. He is slightly more in favour of independent movies, but generally calls it as it is. I can't say I've always agreed with his positive reviews, but if he says a movie is bad, then it really is.

I've noticed that even more than usual historical drama seems to be in vogue right now. We've had The Favourite, but beyond that we've got Mary Queen of Scots coming out soon, Stan and Ollie, Colette, if you open it up to history that we lived through you've got The Front Runner, Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, go back a bit further and you've got First Man.... and if you widen it out to things that are obviously inspired by or presented through a historical lens then you get Mary Poppins Returns, Robin Hood, and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, all in the mix.

I know it's always a popular genre but it seems like it's really at peak right now.

And yes, I have seen most of those movies. Not seen Stan and Ollie yet though, and want to get to it at some point.

Is Robin Hood really as bad as the reviews make it seem?

One I didn't actually see, because I hated the look of the trailer.

And I'll see pretty much anything to do with Robin Hood (betcha didn't know that about me), so that really tells you all that you need to know....

Robin Hood movies have sucked lately. The new one just looks like the actors came right off the street, put on some clothes and were told to act. Even the Russell Crowe one was just Russel Crowe fighting bad guys.

Costner still the best, besides Robin Hood Men In Tights.

I thought that the Crowe one got a bad rep. Preferred it to the Costner in many ways. But you have to get up very early in the morning to beat Erroll Flynn's one, to be honest with you....

The Brain
    Was just coming in here to give a shout out to Errol Flynn!!

I was always a fan of the Disney animated version too. Some good music.

Yeah, that's a favourite - both of Robin Hood and for Disney movies...

Speaking of Disney's Robin Hood. That movie was pieced together from clips of other Disney's animated movies...