Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dookie!!!

The Brain
    Hogan pulled faces during that exchange that I would have bet money a human couldn't have pulled.

I could have lived my whole life without him doing "sexy" pushups too. Who the hell did they think they were making this movie for??

I'm going on the record here, I don't even think Suburban Commando really qualifies as so bad it's good. I think it's just a pretty typical 90's family movie with some laughs in it. I am biased towards anything with Christopher Lloyd in it on spec, though.

I liked No Holds Barred, but that's definitely a turd that I only really liked because Hogan was in it.

Might be going to 'the flicks' again on Wednesday. Tentative plan in place to watch Tag.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm heading out to watch Tag too. The trailer is superb, I just hope they haven't used all the content in the trailer...

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I'm going on the record here, I don't even think Suburban Commando really qualifies as so bad it's good. I think it's just a pretty typical 90's family movie with some laughs in it. I am biased towards anything with Christopher Lloyd in it on spec, though.
    I mean, Hogan plays a video game so hard that it both explodes and creates a little white flag to wave at him in surrender. Which I thought was hilarious, it's just incredibly silly in an arguably not very self aware way.

Will be interested to hear how Tag is!

Yeah, but that's just what 1990s family movies were like. It was just in that vein, like Addams Family, Flintstones, pretty much anything with Jim Carrey in it.... I could go on. There was a wacky sense of humour in those films but I don't really see it as bad. Just of it's time. I'll give you silly, but I don't think it qualifies as 'so bad it's good' for much the same reason I don't think Mel Brooks, or Screwball Comedies, would either.

I didn't see the first Sicario, but the trailer has me wanting to check out the second one. Anyone know if I'm going to be completely lost trying to follow it?!

The Brain
    I think it's the "not self aware" bit that makes me put it in another category, but at this point we're arguing semantics I think. We both enjoyed the movie for similar reasons, it's just fun at the end of the day.

I'm really not sure about the new Sicario. The first one was very political, with lots of dramatic tension and not that much flat out action. The trailer makes me think this one is a bit different. No idea plot wise, there was plenty going on in the first one but this doesn't even have Emily Blunt so I feel like they've gone a bit of a different way.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I loved the first Sicario (though the soundtrack gave me a splitting headache!) and I think the trailer for the new one looks alright. I am a little wary, but not so much as to prevent me from making the time to go see it sometime next week hopefully. I just pray they haven't made the mistake in misremembering that Del Toro's character wasn't the reason the first one was so good, in spite of the film being named after him. Studios tend to do that with their franchise-creating sequels. Pirates of the Caribbean is the absolute worst offender for it ever. Not that I'm comparing those films to Sicaro of course... Haha.

In other news, with my birthday coming up I've decided to watch a favourite film of mine every night until the night itself (inspired by doing some 10 favourite films in 10 days thing on Facebook). Watched Lion King two nights ago, for the first time in what must be at least ten years, and I totally forgot how spell-binding it is. Then it was Collateral last night, the 2004 Michael Mann thriller where Tom Cruise was actually awesome in it, and not just doing a Tom Cruise impression. Then tonight was Rush - that just gets better every time I see it! Criminal it never got nom'd for anything major. Bruhl deserved an Oscar nod for his Lauda if nothing else.

Probably would have done but I remember that being a very stacked year.

The Brain
    Lion King is a classic, and I'm glad other people like Collateral. I wouldn't rate it as one of my all time favorites but it's really, really good in it's own right. Never saw Rush, I ought to check it out at some point!

I'm a little behind, but am down now to the last two!

I've done:

The Lion King.
    Collateral.
    Rush.
    No Country for Old Men.
    The Raid 2: Berenthal
    Zulu
    Heat
    The Terminator
    Star Trek: First Contact
    Batman Begins
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    Interstellar

Just Mad Max: Fury Road and Blade Runner left!

I'm also spending a day at the cinema later this week I think. Any recommendations?

I love No Country For Old Men. It is so damn perfect.

Collateral is great. Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx are both great in that.

Go see Incredibles II

I'll probably wait until Incredibles is out on demand to be honest. I don't tend to see the animated stuff in the theater.

I did see Sicario 2: Soldado on Friday though. That was good. Not on the intensely visceral level of the original, and there weren't many characters to actually like - in fact, there were precisely none - but it was a decent enough thriller.

Went to see Mission Impossible: Fallout last night. Reports of it being one of the best action movies ever are somewhat overblown. Its main issues were a simple plot needlessly over-complicated and action set pieces that were much too long - one chase sequence just seemed to go on for about twenty minutes!

Having said that, it was still really enjoyable for me. I did ultimately like those same set-pieces, the tension of some of the climactic action had my hands sweating and the soundtrack was great. Some of the stunts were remarkable too, but that goes without saying - it's sort of the franchise watermark.

While one twist you could see coming from a conversation about ten minutes into the film - and aside from the issue of length - I had a riot watching it. Great choice for some Saturday night popcorn.

I don't know if there's a lot out I want to see at the moment. I'll probably go and see The Darkest Minds because the trailer looks OK, and there are murmers that I might end up being dragged to the Abba musical thing (I've escaped thus far but I suspect a crunch is coming). But yeah, Mission Impossible is really dominating now and it's been a while since I could watch Tom Cruise with a straight face, so I'm left without a lot of options unless I want to sit in a kids film in the school holidays (fuck that noise).

Mission Impossible: Fallout is quite good, actually, Pete. I had no idea The Predator was coming out this year. Seems very odd to have a new movie in that franchise in 2018.

Yeah, Fallout was fun. I enjoyed it, and I don't usually enjoy the MI films specifically because of Cruise.

Has anyone seen The Meg? I don't know if I'm brave enough to commit my time to that....

EDIT: So I went to see The Meg. I regretted it. So bad, it was just plain bad. I think they were deliberately pursuing a Sharknado tone, but there's a reason Sharknado is low budget and not in cinemas. Line of the film, riddled with bad dialogue as it was, had to be the passionate exclamation that "It's already proven to be aggressive towards boats!"

I did go and see Darkest Minds. It was a lot more Young Adult than the trailer made it look. There's some good things about it so if you aren't bothered by some heavy-handed symbolism and a lot of teenage angst then you might like it fine, but it ultimately wasn't really for me. Some nice little nods to older movies that you can try and pick up on, though.

I haven't been to the theater since I took my kids to see Ant-Man and the Wasp, and before that I took them to see Incredibles 2. But I know what movie I'm watching with out them... well maybe I'll take the big child.

I saw the Meg, and I thought it looked decent, but I always HATE shark movies. It's just so hard to do a good shark movie, because honestly, if there was a killer shark, then my mind is basically, "while let's just not go in the water." Kaiju is different, because the big monsters come to you. LOL. See me justifying my Godzilla love.

Godzilla: King of Monsters has the potential to redifine:

1. Monster movies
    2. Disaster movies
    3. Really Begin a new franchise. 2014's Godzilla opened it, but the general public was more like meh, and Kong: Skull Island was great, but it did not have the epic feel to it, even though it was great.
    4. Spark spin offs with Mothra AND Rodan
    5. Will lead to King Kong vs Godzilla
    6. Really, really hoping for Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla to get its own movie

I have been waiting for this movie for 38 years, the 5 year old in me, just went nuts!!!

I was 5 when I first saw Godzilla 1985. After that I watched the monster movies on Saturday afternoon that would come on TV. I am so excited for this, I'm excited to see Godzilla toys at the store, I'm excited that at least my 4 year old shares my joy of large monsters destroying Tokyo, and I'm super excited that it looks like an American studio might get this right.

So I know that Toho and Legendary came to an agreement that Legendary can do more Godzilla movies, but for now it's only 2 more in agreement, KoM and GvKK. But if KoM is as successful as it should be, I could see Legendary negotiate with Toho about Rodan and Mothra spin offs. Especially Mothra. Rumor now is that Toho also wants to create their own Monsterverse in Japan, so they might be rebooting Godzilla, AGAIN, in 2022. Toho has agreed to not make Godzilla movies in the same calendar year as Legendary, so that's why they snuck in Shin Godzilla in 2016, as they wanted a Godzilla movie to talk about the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster and they had to wait for 2014 to be over. So I'm not sure how Legendary's Monsterverse would be next to Toho's Monsterverse, but I do know that if this next movie is successful, we can expect a whole lot of Godzilla in the future, and I am here for it all!