Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar

General Movie Discussion Thread

Figured this one was missing from the sub-forum! All general movie discussion can go here.

I've slacked off on the cinema front recent, but it's difficult when something like Infinity War is out. It dominates the showings so all the smaller films I want to see are on at inaccessible times, because of life stuff. Ya know, like work. Has anyone gotten the smaller films in recently? I wonder if there's anything worth making the time to go see?

PS: can a mod please sticky this thread?

My wife is keen to see Wrinkle in Time, has anyone here seen that. Any reviews?

Solo also comes out very soon, all initial reviews seem quite positive.

I also found this really cool Youtube clip that looks at how the quick cut, shaky cam style of action innovated in the Bourne Trilogy has been poorly applied to other movies and how it has had a hugely negative effect on action movies in general. Ignore the title it is a clickbait misnomer, the piece actually deconstructs Bourne and show how things actually made sense there but how other films have got it wrong when they have tried to replicate it, worth a lot if you like seeing film craft deconstructed:

Heard of it but I haven't seen it. Still have yet to see Infinity War.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Saw A quiet Place yesterday. It was slow and not scary, and was just meh.

The Brain
    I thought A Quiet Place was maybe a bit overhyped but I liked it overall. Creative premise that they made the most of.

Heard nothing but bad things about Wrinkle in Time, sadly, as I quite liked the book when I was a kid.

Definitely agree that shaky cam style is the devil in most incarnations. It usually bugs the crap out of me nowadays!

Finally saw Ready Player One this weekend (I know, I'm behind the times a bit!). Overall I enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed that they everything but the core premise and the characters were radically changed from the book, but I did think they did a better job fleshing out some of the characters. I think I still like the book overall but it's a close thing, and both are still enjoyable to me in their own way.

Also watched an Australian film called The Tunnel from a few years back (2011, I think). That one I REALLY liked, it was a low budget horror film but really expertly done, with a lot of the horror being atmospheric or implied instead of in your face or jumping out at the camera, which is always what I prefer. There are a couple visuals from that one that I'll carry around for quite a while, highly recommended to seek it out.

I've never heard of The Tunnel, I'll have to track it down.

On the topic of Aussie Horror. Who here has seen Wolf Creek?

Oh, I gave a quick review of a wrinkle in time in the old thread. It's a weird old film. I don't see it playing very well with many people other than teenage girls, but I could see it being kinda like a Labyrinth for their generation. I won't say it's without it's moments, but they are few and far between, and I think part of the reason I feel that way is that when you're sitting through it, you're so obviously not the target audience.

There is a really well done bit in it though. Kinda creepy. If you go see it, you'll know what I mean.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I will say, I love Labyrinth. It helps that I love David Bowie and Jim Henson creations in general, of course.

Never heard of Wolf Creek, Sam. Something I should seek out? Would love to hear your thoughts on the Tunnel if you do track it down!

Hah, I haven't properly seen Labrynth in years, but I did love it as a kid. My Dad had it recorded off of the television, and I remember so vividly that his TV recorded films were in these VHS cases that looked like leather bound books. Labrynth and the old Sinbad films were my favourites! Did anyone ever watch Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger? I remember next to nothing of it now except for some weird mechanical owl in it, but man I adored that movie back when I was just Boy With A Dream.

The Brain
    Never saw that one, but it does sound like it might be worth revisiting!

I don't know how people here felt about the old one but the trailer for the new Predator looks ace.

The Brain
    I love the original Predator. Didn't see the sequel or the reboot(?) though. I watched the AVP movies but the less said the better. I may give the new one a shot, undecided as of yet... hard to surpass the original, but that's true in most cases!

I don't think it looks that great but if reviews are good I may decide to check it out.

GET TO THE CHOPPPAAA

So here’s the skinny on the Predator franchise.

P2 an effective sequel to Predator set 10 year later in LA in 1997. A little dated now, as the movie was released in 1990. Fun and they kept the cool stuff of the original and introduced some more. Also has a Xenomorph skull in the ship at the end, leading to fans clamoring for the AVP movies. Now, who is to say which came first? P2 was filmed in 1989 and they had the Xenomorph skull at the end, but the first comic of AVP was released in Feb 1990, but written in 1989. So one can argue all you want on which inspired which.

AVP. Again, a fun movie that set the two iconic species at odds with each other, where the Xenomorphs were on Earth simply as a sport.. It also had a great fight scene between a Xenomorph and a Predator.

AVP Requiem. Only saw it once and I thought it was mundane. It was set back in time and I can’t remember when, but it has Ms. Yutani at the end, setting up the Alien franchise, which is part of the reason I didn’t like it.

Predators. This movie really tried to be good. It had all the potential to be. It was set on an alien planet where random “killers”/violent people were abducted from all over Earth and subsequently dropped onto the planet, to be the game for the Predators to hunt. The cast was ok, with the exception of Adrian Brody who was completely miscast. Again this could have been so much better, but it was fun-ish.

The Predator. This new movie is directed by Shane Black, who cowrote and costarred in the original. This movie is set between Predator 2 and Predators. So it is a sequel of sorts. The trailer looks awesome, and will probably reboot the entire franchise.

If you haven’t watched P2, I would prior to watching The Predator, but remember that the movie is almost 30 years old, and some of the clothing and dialogue are from the early 90s. Danny Glover is awesome though as the lead.
    Last edited by Powder; 05-31-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Just saw the trailer for Steve McQueen's next film, Widows. I didn't even realise this was a thing until about twenty minutes ago, but the trailer makes it look incredible and I'm already more excited for it than I think any other film this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    Just saw the trailer for Steve McQueen's next film, Widows. I didn't even realise this was a thing until about twenty minutes ago, but the trailer makes it look incredible and I'm already more excited for it than I think any other film this year!
    I saw your tweet about it and had a look, immediately showed my wife and we are both pumped for it. Looks amazing, Oceans 8 with grit and character. I love how the guys that normally play the action stars bungle their heist as the setup, it is a cool little subversion of expectations.

I got dragged to see Book Club the other week. And y'know, while it's still aimed squarely at a female demographic, it's not as bad as the trailers made it look. A few laughs in it, and Candace Bergen's character is pretty good. So while I doubt any of the regulars in this thread will want to see it out of choice, you can be dragged to it in relative security that you aren't going to want to die for the whole thing.

The Brain
    Nothing wrong with a film aimed at women. I flat out enjoyed the first Magic Mike.

Except seeing a bit of Kevin Nash's penis. Could have lived without that.

I had a friend who wanted to see I Feel Pretty so ended up seeing that at the weekend. Nothing to say other than its worse than it looked even in the trailer. Just, really not good at all, and with a very skewed moral to it too.

But then I saw Jurassic World 2 last night, trepedatiously. Maybe it was my low expectations but I really enjoyed it. I mean the writing wasn't great and the plot made no real sense but if you let go of your inhibitions it was a fun couple of hours! I left with a smile, so it was a win in my book.

The second trailer for Jurrasic World 2 was giving me images of a buddy cop movie staring Chris Pratt and a velociraptor. Will be interesting to see how it actually turns out.

My wife is really keen to see Oceans 8.i think it will be fun but am not expecting anything too amazing.

The Brain
    I was really put off by the first Jurassic World. I'm not usually a "turn your brain off" movie guy, so maybe that's my problem. I feel like I didn't have to do so to enjoy the original, you know?

Will be curious to hear about Oceans 8. I really liked 11 and 13 (not so much 12) so if it's in the same vein I'll be inclined to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I really liked 11 and 13 (not so much 12) so if it's in the same vein I'll be inclined to check it out.
    Snap!

The Brain
    Oh dear, have I stepped in something? Is 12 meant to be the best of the bunch or something?

Do you not have the game snap in the US?

No, what does snap mean to you?

It's a simple kids card game. Basically in that context it means 'exactly the same,'.

The Brain
    Haha, nope, never heard of that! I definitely read that in the vein of "oh snap", as in, "you didn't just say that!". Glad to know we're on the same page in taste, if not in lingo.

Snap: deal all the cards out equally amongst the players. Go around the circle, each putting a card face up on the pile. When two are the same, slam your hand down on the pile and shout, snap! The hand on the card wins, and that person gets the cards. Object is to hold the entire deck at the end.

Off topic but just in case anyone wants to play!

That is very similar to Slap Jack a card game here, with the same premise, but you just slap the Jacks.

So I went to see Ocean's Eight. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. If you like heist movies then the bits you are in for are all pretty good. Enjoyed Anne Hathaway a lot.

I saw Incredibles II last night and it was awesome! It was NOT a rehash of the first movie, and the plot was good. The villain was easy to spot, but it is a kids movie. But all around, another huge success for PIXAR.

The Brain
    I'll second that very positive review of Incredibles 2. The first is actually my favorite Pixar film and I've been hoping for a sequel for ages, and they really delivered. Hope the franchise doesn't go dormant again for another 14 years!

Sadly haven't been to the cinema much recently, but that's in large part because of the fact it feels like it's been the same films on all day, every day.

I must say it's good to hear Incredibles II isn't a let down. Nothing will ever top the Toy Story trilogy for me when it comes to Pixar I don't think, but I do quite enjoy the original Incredibles film and to hear its sequel is worthy encourages me to see a late showing of it when I can! I'm also looking forward to seeing Ocean's 8. I have a real soft spot for the Clooney-led Ocean's 11 remake, and am hoping to get a little taste of that from it.

Also very amped for Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado coming out at the end of the month. Sicario was tremendous, one of my favourite films of its year of release; can't wait to see what the follow-up does!

Went to watch the Rupert Everett movie about Oscar Wilde. Very impressed as a directorial debut but by god, it is a pretty miserable experience. Captures the horrors of his last few years well, which makes for a less than fun experience.

The Brain
    Speaking of miserable, I took it in my head to watch Suburban Commando last night. I could pass up the segue, but it actually wasn't miserable at all, I laughed my ass off. A lot of it was "so bad it's good" so Pete would probably hate it, but there's also something earnest about it, I could honestly see a kid loving it sincerely, even if it bombed at the box office.

Nah man, I loved Suburban Commando. Thought it was underrated and Hogan's best film!

The Brain
    HAHA, that's the shocker of the day for me!

I'm sure I went on at length about it before the reset, y'know..

Santa With Muscles is my personal favorite. As Miz said, so bad that it is good. As a kid I loved all the Hulk movies, though No Holds Barred was my favorite. Back then, you really wondered as a child Hulkamaniac if he could actually overcome Zeus...

The Brain
    God help me, I actually watched No Holds Barred twice over the weekend. It was so fascinatingly bad that I had to show it to a friend. Just incredible.